Hal Houle is for real!

John Collins

Oct 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/19/00
Last night I had the wonderful oppurtunity to work eight hours with Hal
Houle. As far as I am concerned this man is preaching pool truth. I
learned more last night than in eighteen years of playing. If anyone has
the chance to meet him and work with him I highly reccomend it. If you
believe that you know how to play pool you will learn otherwise. I promise
to go into more detail when I have practiced the techniques and systems I
have learned. Until then I am done giving advice because I know now that
most of the advice I have given is faulty. I never read any of the Hal
Houle posts before or got into the discussions about whether he is right or
wrong but I can testify that what he taught me last night was as close to
understanding how to pocket balls consistently as I have ever been until
now. Hal is now 78 years old and he is saying that this will be the last of
his cross country road trips. He has selected a number of RSB/ASP
participants to meet with him during his trip. Whether you believe his
systems or not it is a wonderful experience to meet this man. He has been
involved with pool players since Greenleaf's time.

What I learned from Hal - ????? You'll just have to find out when you play
me 8->

John Collins

Bob Johnson

Oct 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/19/00
What he said!!!! DO NOT PASS UP THE OPPORTUNITY TO WORK WITH HAL WHEN HE
CALLS! He's a fascinating man with a lot of knowledge to pass along!

--
Bob Johnson, Denver, Co.
Home of the 1997/1998 World Champion Broncos!
"John Collins" <inst...@instroke.com> wrote in message

Bert M.

Oct 19, 2000, 10:39:55 PM10/19/00
>From: "John Collins"

>Last night I had the wonderful oppurtunity to work eight hours with Hal
>Houle.

Yipppeeee! hal has finally gon on the road. I've been talking with him since
August and have eagerly awaited the time he gets here to Connecticut. Maybe
i'm not doomed to being a D (APA 2) for the rest of my life.

Bert M <-- C=:-)

Raveloman

Oct 19, 2000, 11:25:04 PM10/19/00
BertM:>Yipppeeee! hal has finally gon on the road. I've been talking with him

>since
>August and have eagerly awaited the time he gets here to Connecticut.

Hal contacted me this month and said he is coming to the East Coast and would I
like to get together with him. I responded in the affirmative and e-mailed him
my home and work numbers. I hope he gets a hold of me! I would sure like to
learn from him.

Jerry Ravelo

Keith

Oct 20, 2000, 12:14:13 AM10/20/00
Hal emailed me last month to tell me he would be in my area visiting Mr.
Shamos in Pittsburgh. He said he could spend a couple of days with me and
I'm really looking forward to it. Can't wait to meet him.

Keith
ke...@toolcity.net

"John Collins" <inst...@instroke.com> wrote in message

> Last night I had the wonderful oppurtunity to work eight hours with Hal

Jim and Cindy

Oct 20, 2000, 2:20:30 AM10/20/00
I went back and read some of Hal's posts and found something that has help
me a lot.
It was on aiming and explain how to determine what part of the cue ball
contact point is
determined. No wonder I was so bad for so long.

This Hal Houle is indeed for real
Jim

Poolplayer

Oct 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/20/00
Yeah, he's for real alright. You'd be amazed at what you learn in such a short
time with him. He's always a joy to talk to and listen to.

PP<--- can't wait till he gets back to Nor. Cal.

Joseph Van Buren

Oct 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/20/00
> rave...@aol.com (Raveloman)

>Hal contacted me this month and said he is coming to the East Coast and would
>like to get together with him. I responded in the affirmative and e-mailed
>him
>my home and work numbers. I hope he gets a hold of me! I would sure like to
>learn from him.
>
>Jerry Ravelo

I am in with Jerry as soon as Hal hits jersey.

Joe

ps: still waiting for Jerry to come up north.
Visit www.classiccues.com for a vast selection of collectible cues New
additions weekly. We sneak in lower prices just about every week. Also ALL
Moori grades now available!!!!!!

SSCS

Oct 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/20/00
THIS IS WHAT I HAVE BEEN TELLING YOU ALL FOR THE PAST YEAR!!!

Oh but now it is a new revelation. Hal actually knows what he is talking
about. Geez.... Gotta love you guys. Now I am waiting for the "It's a crock"
post. Cuz I know one is coming...

SSCS

Poolplayer <pool...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Yeah, he's for real alright. You'd be amazed at what you learn in such a
short
> time with him. He's always a joy to talk to and listen to.
>
> PP<--- can't wait till he gets back to Nor. Cal.

JoeyA

Oct 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/20/00
EIGHT HOURS? It sounds like Hal is in shape. John, I look forward to some
of your posts in the future about what you have learned. Thanks in advance.

Hal, mentioned he would be passing my way as well. I look forward to
meeting him and learning all he has to teach.

It is said that when a student is ready, a teacher will appear.

Joey Aguzin
New Orleans, just a waiting..........

John Collins

Oct 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/20/00

"JoeyA" <agu...@cmq.com> wrote in message

> EIGHT HOURS? It sounds like Hal is in shape. John, I look forward to
some
> of your posts in the future about what you have learned. Thanks in
advance.

> Hal, mentioned he would be passing my way as well. I look forward to
> meeting him and learning all he has to teach.
>
> It is said that when a student is ready, a teacher will appear.
>
> Joey Aguzin
> New Orleans, just a waiting..........

Joey,

I know you like one pocket and I do as well. After learning from Hal I now
firmly believe that no one around here that I know has to like playing me
one pocket. I estimate that my game jumped three balls. I have been around
pool for eighteen years and am considered a fair player with occassional
trips to the zone but nobody has ever shown me something that I felt was an
immediate elevation of my understanding and my execution. Last night while
practicing I started to really see the shots and the possibilities opened up
before my eyes. It's almost mystical.

John

k.orr

Oct 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/20/00
Someone should break out a video camera and record one of their
sessions.

k. orr

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

SSCS

Oct 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/20/00
Make sure you guys are not making him stand for that long!!! He is going to
bitch me out for this (only because he always does) but he is required, for
health reasons, to prop his feet up if he is standing for long periods of
time... It does not matter if he tells you otherwise, because he will. He
has had problems with his ankles for years.

Just take care of him Guys

SSCS

Mike Page

Oct 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/20/00
In article <nx%H5.519$UK.1...@news.uswest.net>, "John Collins"

<inst...@instroke.com> wrote:

> Joey,
>
> I know you like one pocket and I do as well. After learning from Hal I now
> firmly believe that no one around here that I know has to like playing me
> one pocket. I estimate that my game jumped three balls. I have been around
> pool for eighteen years and am considered a fair player with occassional
> trips to the zone but nobody has ever shown me something that I felt was an
> immediate elevation of my understanding and my execution. Last night while
> practicing I started to really see the shots and the possibilities opened up
> before my eyes. It's almost mystical.
>
> John

John, it's getting a little too mystical and starting to sound like some
of the former Hal Houle revelations (Houlivations).

Our experience in the past has been the Houlivations follow a consistent
pattern. The Houlivatee makes pronouncements about amazing, almost
mystical discoveries and posts about it here. Readers' interest gets very
high as everyone wants a sip of the magic elixer. And then when the
Houlitavee is asked to be more specific, the puzzle pieces don't fit.
It's like waking up from a dream with wonderful new insight and
understanding. You rush to get a pen and pad of paper, but when the pen
meets the paper the dream is gone.

I've met and talked to Hal on more than one occasion. I like him. He's a
neat guy. He's been around pool for a long time and is a virtual
compendium of systems and stories.

But a three ball improvement for a seasoned player like you?

--
mike page
(skeptical in)fargo

Bert M.

Oct 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/20/00
>From: "SSCS"

Well since JW is not around anymore, maybe there won't be HAHAHA

>Oh but now it is a new revelation. Hal actually knows what he is talking
>about. Geez.... Gotta love you guys. Now I am waiting for the "It's a crock"
>post. Cuz I know one is coming...

Bob Johnson

Oct 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/20/00
Just keep his Diet Coke full, and let him do his "beetle" imitation every
couple of hours, and he's fine!

--
Bob Johnson, Denver, Co.
Home of the 1997/1998 World Champion Broncos!
bo...@cris.com

"SSCS" <jkir...@nospamwantedgrapeco.com> wrote in message

Bob Johnson

Oct 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/20/00
I did shoot some pictures of Hal and John, but I was using Hal's camera, and
he took the film with him. John talked about bringing his video camera
down, but didn't.

--
Bob Johnson, Denver, Co.
Home of the 1997/1998 World Champion Broncos!
bo...@cris.com

"k.orr" <k_...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

JoeyA

Oct 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/20/00
Lemme have a drink. Come on man. Lemme have a drink. Really, I can handle
it. Just let me have a taste. A three ball jump is something that I can
drink too. Hell, I'll drink to a one ball jump.
On the skids, waiting for a drink of that magic elixir.
JoeyA
New Orleans, just awaiting....

"Mike Page" <mike...@ndsu.nodak.edu> wrote in message

Bvinco

Oct 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/20/00
It isn't magic and it isn't a big secret. It's a prespective and an insight
into the game, as well as systems and tools, explained by a delightful man with
an abundance of knowledge who's willing to share it with the rest of us.

It's difficult and futile for (some of) us to try to explain it to someone else
through the internet. You just have to be there. :o)

Becky

Smorgass Bored

Oct 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/20/00

Lemme have a drink. Come on man. Lemme have a drink. Really, I can
handle it. Just let me have a taste. A three ball jump is something that
I can drink too. Hell, I'll drink to a one ball jump. On the skids,

waiting for a drink of that magic elixir. JoeyA

(*<~ Please,PLEASE,don't drink. I have video film of the last time that
I saw you drink.....

da howwah,da howwah (Elmer Fudd),

Doug
~>*(((>< Big fish eat Little fish ><)))*<~

SSCS

Oct 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/20/00
The funny thing is you, I, and prolly only 3 or 4 people in this world know
what you are talking about...

SSCS

Bob Johnson <bo...@cris.com> wrote in message

> Just keep his Diet Coke full, and let him do his "beetle" imitation every
> couple of hours, and he's fine!
>

> --
> Bob Johnson, Denver, Co.
> Home of the 1997/1998 World Champion Broncos!
> bo...@cris.com

SSCS

Oct 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/20/00
There's one... We didn't need JW around.

SSCS

lfigueroa

Oct 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/20/00
Well, it's true. The Druids are acting up again.

We go through this a couple of times a year. All this hallelujah from the
Houlivatees, but not one, including The Big Houle hizself, can get on the NG
and explain diddly.

I thought one of the reasons we were here (other than to occasionally flame
the shit out of one another :-) was to share and learn.

So where's the beef?

If you can't post it and put it to "peer review" you might as well take your
shaman and go dance around a campfire at Stonehenge during the next
solstice.

Lou Figueroa

"SSCS" <jkir...@nospamwantedgrapeco.com> wrote in message

John Collins

Oct 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/20/00

Well I was skeptical as well until last night when I went to practice this
stuff on my own. Hal warned me that anybody can make the shots when he is
present but can't do it afterward. He said that others say that he
hypnotizes his students and when the hypnotic state is broken - no more
magic. For me it's like finally getting the piece of the puzzle that has
been missing. For 18 years I have watched great players, I have studied
books and tapes, I have practiced relentlessly, I have gambled high and I
have turned into a decent player. But I could never figure out why I missed
balls that I felt I should be making, I could never figure out how the pros
could consistently make some of the shots with the spin they use. I would
watch them for hours and then go to the table and try to duplicate their
results with limited success. Now I know that I was starting with the wrong
input to get the right output. I hate to make a biblical comparison and
apply it to pool but to me it's a bit like those who met Jesus and knew
instantly that he spoke truth and those who either hadn't met him yet or
those whose minds were closed to the truth. None of Jesus' disciples could
ever tell the truth like Jesus did but they spoke from the conviction of
knowing they had experienced it. MAybe the reason the Hal's students
haven't been able to explain his systems correctly is because it is a lot to
absorb. The student must first give up that which he perceives to be the
correct way in order to accept a new way. This is sounding even more
metaphysical than when I started but it's real. I showed some players this
last night and they were astounded. I literally covered up the table and
threw balls out and after I aimed using what I have been taught I split the
pocket almost every time without lining the object ball up with the pocket!
Three balls is just right now. I might be five balls better in a month!
That's how confident I feel now. I feel like if I ever miss another ball
then it is purely my fault because I didn't aim right now that I know how to
aim. I am not saying that this system turns people into champions but I
know that in my case if I had this information ten years ago then I would be
in the top ten right now. Pretty brassy huh? After years of slowly getting
better I feel like my game is going to explode now. But in order for you to
really understand this you need to meet and work with Hal or somebody who
can teach his systems.

I hope you get that chance.

John

Patrick Johnson

Oct 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/20/00
I have nothing against Hal or any of his ideas. I don't think I've ever heard
one here.

It's ludicrous to call people closed minded for not believing something you
can't even describe, much less explain.

Pat Johnson
Chicago

SSCS wrote:

> There's one... We didn't need JW around.
>
> SSCS

Mike Page

Oct 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/20/00
In article <eZ3I5.1463$UK.2...@news.uswest.net>, "John Collins"

<inst...@instroke.com> wrote:

> Well I was skeptical as well until last night when I went to practice this
> stuff on my own. Hal warned me that anybody can make the shots when he is
> present but can't do it afterward.

Isn't that what the spoon-benders say?

He said that others say that he
> hypnotizes his students and when the hypnotic state is broken - no more
> magic. For me it's like finally getting the piece of the puzzle that has
> been missing. For 18 years I have watched great players, I have studied
> books and tapes, I have practiced relentlessly, I have gambled high and I
> have turned into a decent player. But I could never figure out why I missed
> balls that I felt I should be making, I could never figure out how the pros
> could consistently make some of the shots with the spin they use. I would
> watch them for hours and then go to the table and try to duplicate their
> results with limited success. Now I know that I was starting with the wrong
> input to get the right output. I hate to make a biblical comparison

Hey, that's OK. I figure religion is the *only* direction we could go...

and
> apply it to pool but to me it's a bit like those who met Jesus and knew
> instantly that he spoke truth and those who either hadn't met him yet or
> those whose minds were closed to the truth. None of Jesus' disciples could
> ever tell the truth like Jesus did but they spoke from the conviction of
> knowing they had experienced it. MAybe the reason the Hal's students
> haven't been able to explain his systems correctly is because it is a lot to
> absorb. The student must first give up that which he perceives to be the
> correct way in order to accept a new way.

The Yaqui Indian Sorcerers called this "stopping the world." It is,
according to Sorcerer Don Juan as told by Carlos Casteneda, necessary to
"stop the world" in order to "see." (attain enlightenment)

This is sounding even more
> metaphysical than when I started but it's real. I showed some players this
> last night and they were astounded. I literally covered up the table and
> threw balls out and after I aimed using what I have been taught I split the
> pocket almost every time without lining the object ball up with the pocket!
> Three balls is just right now. I might be five balls better in a month!
> That's how confident I feel now. I feel like if I ever miss another ball
> then it is purely my fault because I didn't aim right now that

STOP! Please stop! Think what you're doing to Joey!!!!

I know how to
> aim. I am not saying that this system turns people into champions but I
> know that in my case if I had this information ten years ago then I would be
> in the top ten right now. Pretty brassy huh? After years of slowly getting
> better I feel like my game is going to explode now. But in order for you to
> really understand this you need to meet and work with Hal or somebody who
> can teach his systems.
>
> I hope you get that chance.
>
> John

Perhaps I'm overly cynical, but I'm getting the feeling my leg is being
pulled....

--
mike page
fargo

Patrick Johnson

Oct 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/20/00
John Collins wrote:

> ... he hypnotizes his students
> ... it's a bit like those who met Jesus
> ... Pretty brassy huh?

I guess that's one word for it. I'm sure you still shoot a good game for
someone who thinks he's channeling Efren.

I wouldn't mind meeting Hal, but I'm not dressed for Jesus.

Pat Johnson
Chicago

John Collins

Oct 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/20/00
Yeah I feel like a real idiot for not bringing mine but I would rather have
spent the time learning instead of fiddling with the camera.

I also truly had no clue what to expect when I wen't to meet Hal Houle. I
had never even bothered to read the discussions on his systems because I was
not into pool very much during the time they came about.

So I came to the table totally unbiased as far as the debates went.

John

Bob Johnson

Oct 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/20/00
Pat, I do believe he's planning to call you when he gets to Chicago. Pay
attention and enjoy. It won't take that long. The 8 hours we spent with
him was because we were having that much fun, and he's a kick to hang out
with. Hell, I was having a ball watching John become "enlightened"!!!!

--
Bob Johnson, Denver, Co.
Home of the 1997/1998 World Champion Broncos!
bo...@cris.com

"Patrick Johnson" <REMO...@21stCentury.net> wrote in message

John Collins

Oct 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/20/00

> I have nothing against Hal or any of his ideas. I don't think I've ever
heard
> one here.
>
> It's ludicrous to call people closed minded for not believing something
you
> can't even describe, much less explain.
>
> Pat Johnson
> Chicago

Are you addressing me Pat? I haven't attempted to explain the systems
because I am still working on them. I suffered from a little information
overload. I also didn't call anybody close minded. I said that it's
comparable to those who have been introduced to the information and are not
open to it. If I take a beginner and tell him that to achieve draw he has
to hit below center and he chooses not to believe me does it make my
statement less true? Also I probably would have dismissed these systems had
I only read them.

I will try to explain what I understood of the systems. The basic premise
is that because every table is a perfect rectangle then spheres which are
aimed at one another in a certain way are always heading towards a pocket.
Whether directly into a pocket or traveling over cushions the object ball is
always heading towards a pocket when aimed using the system. This means
that it is possible to pocket just about any shot without ever lining up the
object ball to a pocket. It is possible to make almost any bank shot
without ever looking for a spot on the rail.

I know this sounds like hogwash but I can do it now. Bob Johnson is my
witness. He can do it. Does this mean I will now make everything I shoot
at? Not at all. I have to retrain my brain to aim the same way every time
and I have to retrain my body to stroke without reverting to my old way.

With this system you aim the same way for every shot and then you apply the
spin and speed you need. Duh right? Doesn't every good player do this?
Yes but then why do they miss? Why are certain shots more difficult than
others? Why is a long thin cut shot tougher than a short thick cut shot?
With this system I found that both shots are the same. Both shots are aimed
exactly the same way. Hal has many variations on his aiming system but they
are all exactly the same in results. They are all parallel, which means
that if you aim at one point then there has to be an opposite that lines up
as well or your aim is not correct. This is sort of a checks and balances.
If both points line up where they are supposed to then the shot will not
miss providing you stroke straight through the cueball. When I have more
time I will try to diagram what I am talking about.

I do know this: I have been fortunate enough learn something that is not
common knowledge but really works every time. No matter what else I do I
will always be thankful that after all the frustration I have experienced
with this game someone was able to open the doors and make me appreciate it
again.

John

> SSCS wrote:
>
> > There's one... We didn't need JW around.
> >
> > SSCS
> >
> > Mike Page <mike...@ndsu.nodak.edu> wrote in message

> > > In article <nx%H5.519$UK.1...@news.uswest.net>, "John Collins"

John Collins

Oct 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/20/00

"Patrick Johnson" <REMO...@21stCentury.net> wrote in message
> John Collins wrote:
>
> > ... he hypnotizes his students
> > ... it's a bit like those who met Jesus
> > ... Pretty brassy huh?
>
> I guess that's one word for it. I'm sure you still shoot a good game for
> someone who thinks he's channeling Efren.
>
> I wouldn't mind meeting Hal, but I'm not dressed for Jesus.
>
> Pat Johnson
> Chicago

Pat,

I would really appreciate it if you wouldn't quote me out of context. I
guess you know me enough by now to know that I don't go off on a subject
unless I believe in what I am saying. Please accord me that respect. You
know I have a decent, nowhere near worldbeater, game and you know that I
play well enough to separate BS from the genuine thing. The guy is 78 and
all he wants to do is share his knowledge. Anyone who is serious about
improving their game should at least try his systems for the sheer knowledge
factor. If they are wrong then no one will make a ball - end of story.

This is ridiculous, it's really getting religious. Like the saying, 'if you
are right that there is no God then nothing will change, but what if you're
wrong?' Except in this case it's tangible and provable. I am sorry that I
can't explain the systems right away but I haven't been working on them for
35 years either.

This guy has been around Greenleaf, Lassiter, Crane and all the famous pros
you can name. At the very least he deserves some respect by the virtue of
his experience.

If I come across awestruck it's because I am.

John

John Collins

Oct 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/20/00

Another thing, as Bob is my witness, using this system I was able to pocket
balls consistently using my jump cue. Then when I caused the tip to come
off I kept on pocketing shots with no tip. There were lots of cut shots
that would be considered difficult but I was able to make with a jump cue
with no tip - using the system. Man I feel like an infomercial. Then I
just pulled any cue off the wall and continued to pocket balls.

I did the same thing the next night.

John

Poolplayer

Oct 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/20/00
I spent about 6-7 hours with him on one occasion. He didn't stand the whole time
because, like SSCS says, he has to sit down every now and then. He also has to
get up and move around after sitting for long sessions.

JoeyA wrote:

> EIGHT HOURS? It sounds like Hal is in shape. John, I look forward to some
> of your posts in the future about what you have learned. Thanks in advance.
>
> Hal, mentioned he would be passing my way as well. I look forward to
> meeting him and learning all he has to teach.
>
> It is said that when a student is ready, a teacher will appear.
>
> Joey Aguzin
> New Orleans, just a waiting..........

Greg Miller

Oct 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/20/00

John Collins wrote

> Man I feel like an infomercial.

Please, more info, less mercial.

John Collins

Oct 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/20/00

"Greg Miller" <gre...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

> John Collins wrote
> > Man I feel like an infomercial.
>
> Please, more info, less mercial.

I'm tryin' man. It's just so much that I am trying to find the best way for
myself to describe it. Hal did make me promise to show anyone who wants to
learn.

John

Greg Miller

Oct 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/20/00

John Collins wrote
> > > Man I feel like an infomercial.
> >
> > Please, more info, less mercial.
>
> I'm tryin' man. It's just so much that I am trying to
find the best way for
> myself to describe it. Hal did make me promise to show
anyone who wants to
> learn.

OK. I'll wait while you assimilate.

Patrick Johnson

Oct 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/20/00
> Are you addressing me Pat?

Nope. I'm addressing those who blame their inability to describe the Hal
Experience on everybody else's closed mindedness. I know your game and your
temperament a little, so I'm interested in your experience. But I have to admit
this "ya hadda be there" line is getting a little old. If I was Hal, I think
I'd want better promotion.

I'll tell you what I think after I meet him. He's a great, interesting guy on
the phone and by email, and I expect to have a good time with him.

Glad your game is on.

Pat Johnson
Chicago

Patrick Johnson

Oct 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/20/00
> I would really appreciate it if you wouldn't quote me out of context.

Just funnin', John. I hope Hal's laughing.

Pat Johnson
Chicago

John Collins

Oct 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/20/00

"Patrick Johnson" <REMO...@21stCentury.net> wrote in message

Sorry. Got it "after" I sent the response.

Poolplayer

Oct 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/20/00
If you guys haven't seen yet, Hal uses an Instroke case for his cues. Now
that has to be worth something to someone!

Bob Johnson wrote:

> I think maybe an Instroke case design, called the Houle Case would be
> appropriate, and each case will come with personalized instruction in the
> Houle System! ;>)

> --
> Bob Johnson, Denver, Co.
> Home of the 1997/1998 World Champion Broncos!
> bo...@cris.com

> "John Collins" <inst...@instroke.com> wrote in message

> > "Greg Miller" <gre...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> > >

> > > John Collins wrote
> > >
> > > Please, more info, less mercial.
> > >

> > I'm tryin' man. It's just so much that I am trying to find the best way
> for
> > myself to describe it. Hal did make me promise to show anyone who wants
> > learn.
> >

> > John

Bob Johnson

Oct 20, 2000, 8:45:09 PM10/20/00
That's why I said earlier that a Bunjee Jumper may be the only cue you'll
ever need. And who cares what the tip is made of! You don't need a tip!

It's true, John was pocketing balls at Earl speed using a Bunjee Jumper with
no tip on it! And all 3 of us were laughing! 3 and 4 rail banks, using a
jump cue, with no tip!

--
Bob Johnson, Denver, Co.
Home of the 1997/1998 World Champion Broncos!
bo...@cris.com
"John Collins" <inst...@instroke.com> wrote in message

Bob Johnson

Oct 21, 2000, 12:45:58 AM10/21/00
I think maybe an Instroke case design, called the Houle Case would be
appropriate, and each case will come with personalized instruction in the
Houle System! ;>)

--

Bob Johnson, Denver, Co.
Home of the 1997/1998 World Champion Broncos!
bo...@cris.com
"John Collins" <inst...@instroke.com> wrote in message

> "Greg Miller" <gre...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> >
> > John Collins wrote

> > > Man I feel like an infomercial.

Raveloman

Oct 21, 2000, 1:37:36 AM10/21/00
Joseph Van Buren:>ps: still waiting for Jerry to come up north.

Joe I am up north! I live in Hudson County,
Guttenberg to be precise. Drop me an e-mail !

Jerry

Raveloman

Oct 21, 2000, 1:43:12 AM10/21/00
Joe:>I am in with Jerry as soon as Hal hits jersey.

If you see or hear from him let me know asap, please. I will do the same for
you.:-)

Jerry

Bert M.

Oct 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/21/00
>From: rave...@aol.com (Raveloman)

>Joe:>I am in with Jerry as soon as Hal hits jersey.
>
>If you see or hear from him let me know asap, please. I will do the same for
>you.:-)

If you guys want I have HAl's phone number (somewhere hahaha). He said he
would be checking in for messages from time to time. Or contact linda moss.
She speaks with him regularly, and I am sure she would be more than happy to
relay any messages (I hope I am not being presumptous, Linda).

I can't wait till Hal get here.

Bert M <-- C=:-)

Bob Johnson

Oct 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/21/00
A brown on black Cowboy.

--

> If you guys haven't seen yet, Hal uses an Instroke case for his cues. Now
> that has to be worth something to someone!

KB3559

Oct 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/21/00
How does one reach Hal and set up a meeting/lesson with him?
Thank you
KB

Bob Johnson

Oct 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/21/00
Depending on where you are, he's headed from Denver to Chicago area via
Waterloo, Iowa, then probably toward Columbus. The best thing to do might
be to watch the group for who he's meeting with next, and email those
individuals with your phone number,`location, etc., and see if he's gonna be
near you. For example, when he's in Chicago or Columbus, he'll probably be
in one location for 3 or 4 days. You'll probably be able to track "Hal
Houle, Tour 2000" right here on RSB.

--
Bob Johnson, Denver, Co.
Home of the 1997/1998 World Champion Broncos!
bo...@cris.com

"KB3559" <kb3...@aol.com> wrote in message

bp

Oct 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/21/00

>Well I was skeptical as well until last night when I went to practice this
>stuff on my own. Hal warned me that anybody can make the shots when he is

>present but can't do it afterward. He said that others say that he

>hypnotizes his students and when the hypnotic state is broken - no more
>magic. For me it's like finally getting the piece of the puzzle that has
>been missing. For 18 years I have watched great players, I have studied
>books and tapes, I have practiced relentlessly, I have gambled high and I
>have turned into a decent player. But I could never figure out why I missed
>balls that I felt I should be making, I could never figure out how the pros
>could consistently make some of the shots with the spin they use. I would
>watch them for hours and then go to the table and try to duplicate their
>results with limited success. Now I know that I was starting with the wrong

>input to get the right output. I hate to make a biblical comparison and

>apply it to pool but to me it's a bit like those who met Jesus and knew
>instantly that he spoke truth and those who either hadn't met him yet or
>those whose minds were closed to the truth. None of Jesus' disciples could
>ever tell the truth like Jesus did but they spoke from the conviction of
>knowing they had experienced it. MAybe the reason the Hal's students
>haven't been able to explain his systems correctly is because it is a lot to
>absorb. The student must first give up that which he perceives to be the

>correct way in order to accept a new way. This is sounding even more

>metaphysical than when I started but it's real. I showed some players this
>last night and they were astounded. I literally covered up the table and
>threw balls out and after I aimed using what I have been taught I split the
>pocket almost every time without lining the object ball up with the pocket!
>Three balls is just right now. I might be five balls better in a month!
>That's how confident I feel now. I feel like if I ever miss another ball

>then it is purely my fault because I didn't aim right now that I know how to

>aim. I am not saying that this system turns people into champions but I
>know that in my case if I had this information ten years ago then I would be
>in the top ten right now. Pretty brassy huh? After years of slowly getting
>better I feel like my game is going to explode now. But in order for you to
>really understand this you need to meet and work with Hal or somebody who
>can teach his systems.
>
>I hope you get that chance.
>
>John

I"m sold.
When can we meet ?

bp

Oct 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/21/00
On Fri, 20 Oct 2000 18:21:36 -0600, "John Collins"
<inst...@instroke.com> wrote:

>The guy is 78 and
>all he wants to do is share his knowledge

Someone need to Video tape this stuff.

bp

Oct 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/21/00
On Thu, 19 Oct 2000 15:07:54 -0600, "John Collins"
<inst...@instroke.com> wrote:

>What I learned from Hal - ????? You'll just have to find out when you play
>me 8->
>
>John Collins

Well that sucks!

Smorgass Bored

Oct 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/21/00
(*<~ If you need the services of Hal Houle (rhymes with Pool) and you
are fortunate enough to own a Houligan Decoder Ring,simply take it
off,hold it up over your head at night and shine a strong light up
through it. He will see the "I need Hal help" symbol shining in the
night sky and aim the Halmobile in your direction.......
NEXT,

Doug
~>*(((>< Big fish eat Little fish ><)))*<~

Anthony DeAngelo

Oct 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/21/00

It occurs to me that this guy seems a lot more credible without JW
posting. It's hard to believe that the same guy that used to peddle
snake oil is now a bona fide sensei. Where do you get those de-coder
rings?

Bert M.

Oct 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/21/00
>From: Anthony DeAngelo

Its funny, right after i first talked with Hal, I went back and did a Deja
search on the Great Houle War. I discovered that he gave a pretty straight
forward explanation to his basic system. Then everyone started jumping in and
saying "Why & What about this & this goes against physics etc" If I remember,
JW and (I think) Ron/Johnson (sorry guys sometimes you seem like the same
person) and Tom Simpson ( one post that I remember) where utterly unconvinced.

Anyway, maybe its magic, maybe its religion. I don't care. I tried some of
the things Hal taught me over the phone, but I think its a hands on type of
thing. You can't learn skiing from a book ( I know I tried to my utter
humiliation). Its easy to describe, but to put into practice you need an Adept
or preferably His Holiness Himself Hal Houle.

I can't wait

barenada

Oct 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/22/00

John Collins wrote...

> Then when I caused the tip to come
> off I kept on pocketing shots with no tip.

Isn't this a foul?

--
Dave

Ross Ulmer

Oct 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/22/00

> snip<

> I will try to explain what I understood of the systems. The basic premise
> is that because every table is a perfect rectangle then spheres which are
> aimed at one another in a certain way are always heading towards a pocket.
> Whether directly into a pocket or traveling over cushions the object ball
is
> always heading towards a pocket when aimed using the system. This means
> that it is possible to pocket just about any shot without ever lining up
the
> object ball to a pocket. It is possible to make almost any bank shot
> without ever looking for a spot on the rail.

And the "certain way" is?

Ross

LMoss18701

Oct 22, 2000, 9:58:32 PM10/22/00
>From: Patrick Johnson <RE

>I'll tell you what I think after I meet him. He's a great, interesting guy
>on
>the phone and by email, and I expect to have a good time with him.

Pat,
You may get surprised by more than HAL!! hee1hee1

Linda Moss

LMoss18701

Oct 23, 2000, 1:34:52 AM10/23/00
>From: sxyre...@aol.com (Bert M.)

>If you guys want I have HAl's phone number (somewhere hahaha). He said he
>would be checking in for messages from time to time. Or contact linda moss.

>She speaks with him regularly, and I am sure she would be more than happy to
>relay any messages (I hope I am not being presumptous, Linda).

normally i speak with hal on the phone every week in california. since he has
left for his road trip i have not heard from him. i am sure he will be checking
in sooner or later, as he will be coming here to stay after all his
stops.anyone wishing to leave a message may do so by e-mailing me. when HAL
E-MAILS OR CALLS i shall pass it on and try to reply as to his response. if you
do not hear from me , it means that i have not heard from him yet.

LINDA MOSS
lmoss...@aol.com

Poolplayer

Oct 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/23/00
Are you going to give him another little plastic alligator? LOL.

PP<-- thought that thing was really cute

JoeyA

Oct 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/23/00
Open letter to RSB and Maharishi Mahesh Houle:
First off, I am very open to learning about all types of religion. I too
have been a student of the game for the last three years. Most of my life,
I have been a wannabee and not willing to pay the price. I had not read two
books in my lifetime until about three years ago. I had NEVER viewed a
video tape of a pool match by any professional.

In my quest for knowledge, insight and experience, I will travel to, read,
view and receive information pertaining to pool from just about anyone,
unless the person is a vexation to the spirit. To those of the latter, I
will stand my ground and feel their fire in open combat. But for the most
part, I choose to learn from others. Learning should be fun and you can't
have fun hanging around with people who hate themselves.

If reciting mea culpa three times in a row just before pulling the trigger,
guaranteed that I would be able to bank a ball in the pocket more
consistently, you would see me mumbling the words in practice and in
competition on every bank.

It is becoming my perspective that many of the "aiming systems" or
"techniques" that are used by people may not work for all people. They DO
work for certain individuals. I think that some of the systems or
techniques simply allow that individual to focus better.

We all agree that in practical application, that it virtually impossible to
actually accelerate the cue stick through the cue ball. However if someone
in their attempt to accomplish this task, actually improves their stroke by
becoming smoother in their stroke, it is my belief that we shouldn't
pooh-pooh the information or the messenger. There are different paths for
different folk. I believe individuals learn by different methods. The most
important thing is the end result. For certain individuals, I think that
the end result is more important than if it can be proved scientifically
correct.

If Hal's aiming system(s) don't work for me, I would never say that it is a
valueless system.
If Hal's systems are similar to "Accelerate your cue stick through the cue
ball", I will embrace the intent and the result.

It is apparent to me that his aiming systems and techniques DO HELP some
people.

And does it really matter if it doesn't help YOUR game?

I will keep an open mind. No rose petals, just a diet coke waiting at the
bar.

JoeyA

> [...]

ball
> > then it is purely my fault because I didn't aim right now that
>

> STOP! Please stop! Think what you're doing to Joey!!!!

> I know how to
> > aim. I am not saying that this system turns people into champions but I
> > know that in my case if I had this information ten years ago then I
would be
> > in the top ten right now. Pretty brassy huh? After years of slowly
getting
> > better I feel like my game is going to explode now. But in order for
you to
> > really understand this you need to meet and work with Hal or somebody
who
> > can teach his systems.
> >
> > I hope you get that chance.
> >
> > John
>

> Perhaps I'm overly cynical, but I'm getting the feeling my leg is being

JoeyA

Oct 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/23/00
John, are you or Instroke going to help commercially market Hal's systems?
JoeyA

Fred Agnir

Oct 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/23/00

JoeyA wrote in message ...

>pooh-pooh the information ...

Until I started participating in RSB, I had never used "pooh-pooh" in this
context. Not only have I used the term in some of my posts, I have to admit
that I've since actually said it in other arenas of my life.

Hope this... aw, you know..

Fred

JoeyA

Oct 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/23/00
Aw Fred...... now you're giving me the s***s.
JoeyA

"Fred Agnir" <oha...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

LMoss18701

Oct 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/23/00
>From: Poolplayer <pool...@yahoo.com>

>Are you going to give him another little plastic alligator? LOL.
>
>PP<-- thought that thing was really cute

the plastic alligator that rides on the dash of his truck is to remind him of
all the real ones he saw when here last year. i live on the largest chain of
lakes in fl. and our breaks at the pool table were spent in my bass boat sight
seeing and looking at the Gators.

linda moss

eri...@excite.com

Oct 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/23/00
In article <8ssd4q$h...@dispatch.concentric.net>,

"Bob Johnson" <bo...@cris.com> wrote:
> Depending on where you are, he's headed from Denver to Chicago area
via
> Waterloo, Iowa, then probably toward Columbus. The best thing to do
might
> be to watch the group for who he's meeting with next, and email those
> individuals with your phone number,`

Who's he meeting with in Columbus?

eo.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

John Collins

Oct 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/23/00
I guess so but it worked.

"barenada" <bare...@aye.net> wrote in message

> John Collins wrote...

> > Then when I caused the tip to come
> > off I kept on pocketing shots with no tip.

John Collins

Oct 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/23/00

first I don't know enough to teach the systems in depth. Secondly Hal made
my promise to show anyone who wants to learn for free. That is what I will
do. I will use our website to promote Hal and his systems as I learn about
them but I will never charge anyone for them.

John

> John, are you or Instroke going to help commercially market Hal's systems?
> JoeyA
>
> "John Collins" <inst...@instroke.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Another thing, as Bob is my witness, using this system I was able to
> pocket

> > balls consistently using my jump cue. Then when I caused the tip to
come

Poolplayer

Oct 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/23/00
Yeah, Hal told me. I was only kidding you. :)

Poolplayer

Oct 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/23/00
Yep, that's Hal's philosophy and I think pool would have a lot better
following/rep. if there were more people like Hal around teaching it. Hey John,
how about a limited edition series of Hal Houle Instroke cases? hehehe..

Bob Johnson

Oct 23, 2000, 8:20:43 PM10/23/00
He didn't mention a specific individual, but rather commented on the large
number of RSBr's that reside in the Columbus area.

--
Bob Johnson, Denver, Co.
Home of the 1997/1998 World Champion Broncos!
bo...@cris.com

eri...@excite.com

Oct 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/24/00

> He didn't mention a specific individual, but rather commented on the
>large number of RSBr's that reside in the Columbus area.

It's about a 3.5hr trip, but I'd gladly make it if someone would shoot
me an email when he's in the area.

eo.
eri...@excite.com

J Dub

Oct 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/24/00

"LMoss18701" <lmoss...@aol.com> wrote in message
> >From: "Bob Johnson" <bo...@cris.com>

> >He didn't mention a specific individual, but rather commented on the
large
> >number of RSBr's that reside in the Columbus area.

Tom Simpson and I had planned on meeting with him when he came to Columbus.
He has both of our phone numbers. If others are interested, email me how to
get in touch with you quickly (as I don't know how much notice we'll have)
nor do I know how long he'll stay.

--Jim <=== 'member to take out the garbage in my email address line

> LIKE "HUSTLIN HANK" for instance.
>
> LINDA MOSS

LMoss18701

Oct 24, 2000, 10:57:27 PM10/24/00
>From: sxyre...@aol.com

> If I remember,
>JW

> utterly unconvinced.

and most of those posts were directed at me, if you care to look up my
and WHERE IS JW NOW?

LINDA MOSS

LMoss18701

Oct 24, 2000, 10:59:18 PM10/24/00
>From: "Bob Johnson" <bo...@cris.com>

>He didn't mention a specific individual, but rather commented on the large
>number of RSBr's that reside in the Columbus area.

LIKE "HUSTLIN HANK" for instance.

LINDA MOSS

LMoss18701

Oct 24, 2000, 11:01:38 PM10/24/00
>From: Smorga...@webtv.net

>you
>are fortunate enough to own a Houligan Decoder

>Ring

DOUG,
becky and i have never taken ours off, and have ordered more for hals new fan
club.

LINDA MOSS

Bert M.

Oct 24, 2000, 11:34:52 PM10/24/00
>From: lmoss...@aol.com

>becky and i have never taken ours off, and have ordered more for hals new fan
>club.
>
>LINDA MOSS

I want mine immediately, like yesterday <g>

JoeyA

Oct 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/25/00
Do you REALLY want to know?
JoeyA

Frank

Oct 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/25/00
Check with "Mr. Poopie Pants". I think someone called him that once, and I have
seen some posts with that handle.
Frank

> Do you REALLY want to know?
> JoeyA

LMoss18701

Oct 26, 2000, 2:14:29 AM10/26/00
>From: "JoeyA"

>Do you REALLY want to know?

NO!

linda

JoeyA

Oct 26, 2000, 11:06:10 AM10/26/00
:-)

"LMoss18701" <lmoss...@aol.com> wrote in message

CueStix

Oct 27, 2000, 3:32:44 AM10/27/00

Patrick Johnson <REMO...@21stCentury.net> wrote in message >
> I wouldn't mind meeting Hal, but I'm not dressed for Jesus.

Right. But you are dressed for Lucifer. Have a nice time there, hear? Stix.

Robert Rodriguez

Nov 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/15/00
Thanks for letting me know he would be here John. :)

Robert

John Collins wrote:

> Last night I had the wonderful oppurtunity to work eight hours with Hal
> Houle. As far as I am concerned this man is preaching pool truth. I
> learned more last night than in eighteen years of playing. If anyone has
> the chance to meet him and work with him I highly reccomend it. If you
> believe that you know how to play pool you will learn otherwise. I promise
> to go into more detail when I have practiced the techniques and systems I
> have learned. Until then I am done giving advice because I know now that
> most of the advice I have given is faulty. I never read any of the Hal
> Houle posts before or got into the discussions about whether he is right or
> wrong but I can testify that what he taught me last night was as close to
> understanding how to pocket balls consistently as I have ever been until
> now. Hal is now 78 years old and he is saying that this will be the last of
> his cross country road trips. He has selected a number of RSB/ASP
> participants to meet with him during his trip. Whether you believe his
> systems or not it is a wonderful experience to meet this man. He has been
> involved with pool players since Greenleaf's time.
>
> What I learned from Hal - ????? You'll just have to find out when you play
> me 8->
>
> John Collins

GwC

Nov 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/30/00
Tell Hal I said Hi !!! ;)

Nice to see others appreciate him. He really is a wonderful man.

Geoff in NJ