Kings Island

Victoria M Althoff

Mar 30, 1994, 12:07:48 AM3/30/94
New-4-1994 at Kings Island:
If I'm not mistaken, I think it's a Days of Thunder simulator this year.

--Dave Althoff, Jr.
(ACE Spring Con in 17 days!)

Bill Buckley

Mar 30, 1994, 7:27:09 AM3/30/94

>In a previous article, pc...@englab.indstate.edu (Dizzy) writes...
>
>Does anyone know what the new ride at Kings Island will be this year?
>My personal opinion of last year's Top Gun coaster there: Cool Idea, too
>short of a ride and no loops/corkscrews..I hope they have something better
>in store for fans this year. =) I'm new to the group so no flames please, at
>least not yet. =) Thank You
>
>Gary Baggs
>ejb...@indsvax1.indstate.edu

As Dave Alhoff reported in a previous post, the new PKI attraction for 1994
is a DAYS OF THUNDER simulator attraction. To answer another question
posted here to the newsgroup regarding "what's new at Canada's Wonderland this
year??" -- it's the same things -- DoT!!

Never fear, Gary -- PKI will be adding a killer coaster next year in 1995.
The rumors are true...Paramount will be rebuilding the Rye Aeroplane at
King's Island in 1995. The ride will be built in-house (like the Beast),
and is believed to have rolling stock coming from the folks at PTC.
Yes, they plan to modify the ride from the original specs (surprised?), but
this will NOT be another "Raging Wolf Bobs" scenario ... in fact, PKI is
bound to obtain the undisputed "#1 roller coaster in the world!" title in
1995 ... they know they can do it with a ride like the AEROPLANE, so while
they are going to modify it a bit (to alleviate nose bleeds and crushed ribs),
they tout it will be VERY wild and VERY intense!! In fact, they're currently
laughing at Cedar Point, who just spent $12 million on their RAPTOR coaster.
The re-build of the AEROPLANE will be coming in at just over $3 million for
PKI!

Happy rails,
Buck
--
William J. Buckley, Jr. \
buc...@powdml.enet.dec.com \ "Walter Bolliger is God!"

Pete Babic

Mar 30, 1994, 1:32:49 PM3/30/94

In a previous article, buc...@powdml.enet.dec.com (Bill Buckley) says:

>Never fear, Gary -- PKI will be adding a killer coaster next year in 1995.
>The rumors are true...Paramount will be rebuilding the Rye Aeroplane at
>King's Island in 1995. The ride will be built in-house (like the Beast),
>and is believed to have rolling stock coming from the folks at PTC.
>Yes, they plan to modify the ride from the original specs (surprised?), but
>this will NOT be another "Raging Wolf Bobs" scenario ... in fact, PKI is
>bound to obtain the undisputed "#1 roller coaster in the world!" title in
>1995 ... they know they can do it with a ride like the AEROPLANE, so while
>they are going to modify it a bit (to alleviate nose bleeds and crushed ribs),
>they tout it will be VERY wild and VERY intense!! In fact, they're currently
>laughing at Cedar Point, who just spent $12 million on their RAPTOR coaster.
>The re-build of the AEROPLANE will be coming in at just over $3 million for
>PKI!

Anyone have any more rumors on the once rumored CP Cyclone rebuild? I have
heard very strong rumors of CP installing a wooden coaster along the Frontier
Trail starting in the Giant Wheel area in '95. For that matter anyone have
any info on the original CP Cyclone? It was probably not as wild as the
Aeroplane but it was supposed to be a very wild ride.

--
Pete Babic - p...@po.cwru.edu |*| RAPTOR flies May 7, 1994
Library Information Technologies |*|

TObszanski

Mar 30, 1994, 6:53:09 PM3/30/94
In article <2nbut0$5...@sousa.ako.dec.com>, buc...@powdml.enet.dec.com (Bill
Buckley) writes:

>Never fear, Gary -- PKI will be adding a killer coaster next year in 1995.
>The rumors are true...Paramount will be rebuilding the Rye Aeroplane at
>King's Island in 1995. The ride will be built in-house (like the Beast),
>and is believed to have rolling stock coming from the folks at PTC.
>Yes, they plan to modify the ride from the original specs (surprised?), but
>this will NOT be another "Raging Wolf Bobs" scenario ... in fact, PKI is
>bound to obtain the undisputed "#1 roller coaster in the world!" title in
>1995 ... they know they can do it with a ride like the AEROPLANE, so while
>they are going to modify it a bit (to alleviate nose bleeds and crushed ribs),
>they tout it will be VERY wild and VERY intense!! In fact, they're currently
>laughing at Cedar Point, who just spent $12 million on their RAPTOR coaster.
>The re-build of the AEROPLANE will be coming in at just over $3 million for
>PKI!

This pup is hyperventilating at this - I knew it was coming, but now it seems
even more real.

Tom "Hmm, maybe a move to Ohio wouldn't be such a bad idea" Obszanski

Tom Maglione

Mar 30, 1994, 6:53:11 PM3/30/94
In article <2ncgkh$s...@usenet.INS.CWRU.Edu> p...@po.CWRU.Edu (Pete Babic) writes:

>In a previous article, buc...@powdml.enet.dec.com (Bill Buckley) says:
>>
>>Never fear, Gary -- PKI will be adding a killer coaster next year in 1995.
>>The rumors are true...Paramount will be rebuilding the Rye Aeroplane at
>>King's Island in 1995. The ride will be built in-house (like the Beast),
>>and is believed to have rolling stock coming from the folks at PTC.
>>Yes, they plan to modify the ride from the original specs (surprised?), but
>>this will NOT be another "Raging Wolf Bobs" scenario ... in fact, PKI is
>>bound to obtain the undisputed "#1 roller coaster in the world!" title in
>>1995 ... they know they can do it with a ride like the AEROPLANE, so while
>>they are going to modify it a bit (to alleviate nose bleeds and crushed ribs),
>>they tout it will be VERY wild and VERY intense!! In fact, they're currently
>>laughing at Cedar Point, who just spent $12 million on their RAPTOR coaster.
>>The re-build of the AEROPLANE will be coming in at just over $3 million for
>>PKI!
>
>Anyone have any more rumors on the once rumored CP Cyclone rebuild? I have
>heard very strong rumors of CP installing a wooden coaster along the Frontier
>Trail starting in the Giant Wheel area in '95. For that matter anyone have
>any info on the original CP Cyclone? It was probably not as wild as the
>Aeroplane but it was supposed to be a very wild ride.

For Pete and others, the upcoming Spring 1994 issue of RollerCoaster! magazine
features an article on CP's Cyclone coaster; I have seen the proofs for this
issue, and the photos are stupendous! It really looked like a great ride,
very deserving of rebuilding if CP is interested.

>Pete Babic - p...@po.cwru.edu |*| RAPTOR flies May 7, 1994

Tom Maglione

Bill Buckley

Mar 31, 1994, 7:04:42 AM3/31/94

>In a previous article p...@po.CWRU.Edu (Pete Babic) writes (in response to
>my post on PKI rebuilding the Rye AEROPLANE):

>>(Bill Buckley) says:
>>Never fear, Gary -- PKI will be adding a killer coaster next year in 1995.
>>The rumors are true...Paramount will be rebuilding the Rye Aeroplane at
>>King's Island in 1995.

>Anyone have any more rumors on the once rumored CP Cyclone rebuild? I have

>heard very strong rumors of CP installing a wooden coaster along the Frontier
>Trail starting in the Giant Wheel area in '95. For that matter anyone have
>any info on the original CP Cyclone? It was probably not as wild as the
>Aeroplane but it was supposed to be a very wild ride.
>
>--
>Pete Babic - p...@po.cwru.edu

Just to add fuel to the fire -- yes, those "rumors" are absolutly true!!
While CP is very confident that this years RAPTOR will be a smashing
success, they know that by next year, they will be dead in the water with
PKI rebuilding the 2nd most legendary roller coaster ever designed --
the Rye (Bobs) AEROPLANE! CP knows that PKI *knows* that all the eyes of
the world will be upon them for this project ... as mentioned in my PKI
post, PKI knows this, and subsequently will take steps NOT to "screw up"
this coaster (lest it be denounced by other parks as a "let down" ...
remember, Geauga's RAGING WOLF BOBS is also in OH, and is the joke of the
state, becuase the park touts it as a replica of the famed Riverview BOBS).

So anyways, now that PKI will be rebuilding a killer classic Traver coaster,
CP wants to try and steal back some of the limelight by rebuilding THEIR
(once) killer classic Traver coaster, the CYCLONE. For reference, the CP
CYCLONE looked "similar" (not a duplicate) in layout to the CYCLONE which ran
at Palasades Park in NJ...featuring fan curves with high lateral g forces, and
steep drops giving negative g's in every seat of the train! The CP ride looked
like a fine coaster (what Traver coaster wasn't?!), but it certainly wasn't the
AEROPLANE (the CP ride was about 80' tall, and the Aeroplane was 110' tall).

Bottom line is -- neither ride can be rebuilt "as is" in the 90s, due to
current safety guidelines, etc. So, since both parks are currently reviewing
options to rebuild their rides "within measures", I'd have to say it's anyones
guess which park will end up with the better ride? My personal bet is going
with PKI, since they are so dead set on regaining the '#1 ride' title.

Informationally yours,

Victoria M Althoff

Apr 1, 1994, 1:11:41 AM4/1/94
Just a minor point--
The Rye "Aeroplane Coaster" has been identified as a Fred Church coaster. If I
remember correctly (The Incredible Scream Machine is several rooms away), Cedar
Point's "Cyclone" was listed not as a "Cyclone" model, but as a "Bobs" model,
which may indicate that it was also a Fred Church design. Apparently, Traver
(who DID, in fact, build the CP Cyclone), Prior, and Church built two basic
designs--the Cyclone (Palisades, Crystal Beach, Revere Beach), with a steel
structure, and the Bobs, with a wood structure. Note that this "Bobs" model
differs from the Riverview "Bobs", which was (I think) a unique ride. The
other "Bobs" models were similar to the Cyclones, if I remember the photos
correctly.

It's after 1:am, so I may be wrong about this, but...

--Dave Althoff, Jr.

Victoria M Althoff

Apr 1, 1994, 10:41:39 PM4/1/94
(shame on me, following up my own article...)

I consulted _The Incredible Scream Machine_ and discovered the following. If
you have access to the book, look at pp. 164-165.

"Joe Heflin's list of Traver, Prior, and Church roller coasters is the most
accurate to date:
Documented Traver Engineering Designed and Built Roller-Coasters
*Cyclones*
(list of 5 rides, including the Triplets, left out for brevity)
*Jazz Railways*
(list of 4 or 6 rides omitted for brevity)
*Whirlwind Racer* 3rd Rail Racing Coaster)
(list of 3 or 4 rides omitted)
Documented Prior and Church designed, Traver Engineering Built Roller
Coasters, 1930 and earlier:
*Bobs*
(list of 6 rides omitted...)
Cedar Point, Sandusky, Ohio (1929)
(list continues with 5 more rides)

the list goes on with the Prior and Church Designed and Built *BOBS* coasters,
Documented{Prior & Church designed/builder unknow{, and finally lists...{
Documented Fred Church Designed and Built Coasters:
Rye Playland, Rye, N.Y. *Airplane*, 1928

(end of adapted text)
Tell you what...I'll u/l and post the complete list as published in the book,
if there is demand for it.

(my @#$% on-line connection is screwing up big-time right now!)
--Dave Althoff, Jr.
(Spring Con in 14 days; Cedar Point in{36; CoasterMania in 63!)

Roger Chaplin

Apr 4, 1994, 2:52:22 PM4/4/94
Bill Buckley (buc...@powdml.enet.dec.com) wrote:

: My personal bet is going

: with PKI, since they are so dead set on regaining the '#1 ride' title.

Hmmph! If they are really serious about this, they can start by
putting The Beast back the way it was when it was new.

Until that happens . . . well, I for one am not going to hold my
breath.

--
Roger Chaplin / Test Instruments Group / cha...@keithley.com / CI$: 76307,3506
| "For the lines are long and the fighting is strong and they're breakin' |

Mike Andrews

Apr 6, 1994, 7:26:02 PM4/6/94
ced...@wittenberg.edu writes:

>As far as most frequent visitors to KI are concerned, The Beast is not close
>to the ride it once was. The brakerun at the bottom of the first hill detracts
>from the speed the coaster once possessed. Since the brakerun was added, the
>first half of the ride dissapoints.

Question for everyone....

When exactly did they put in all these brakes? I haven't been in a year or so,
but I haven't noticed 'em very much. But then again, I was too busy enjoying
the ride to be paying attention. ;-) Is all of this just since the Paramount
buyout, or was some of it in the years before? Or both?

Mike (also @wittenberg)

--
Mike Andrews "This guy's pretty bizarre, Gus."
ro...@fragile.termfrost.org [NeXTmail OK] - Primus

Patrick Bell

Apr 6, 1994, 10:44:54 PM4/6/94
In article <2neibl$f...@sousa.ako.dec.com>, buc...@powdml.enet.dec.com (Bill Buckley) writes:

[stuff deleted]

|> Bottom line is -- neither ride can be rebuilt "as is" in the 90s, due to
|> current safety guidelines, etc. So, since both parks are currently reviewing
|> options to rebuild their rides "within measures", I'd have to say it's anyones
|> guess which park will end up with the better ride? My personal bet is going
|> with PKI, since they are so dead set on regaining the '#1 ride' title.

I'm not convinced that PKI management cares about anything other than how to
prostitute the park to increase video store rentals of Paramount's library
of "B" movies.

Speaking of clueless PKI management policies, I'll share a story. The last
time I went for a full day, the computers were down at the season pass window,
and the kids working the booth were keying in our pass numbers by hand. Okay,
fine. When the girl input my pass number, the computer told her I was already
in the park, and she wouldn't let me in, questioning whether or not I had
already been there that day. It was 10:15am. The park had been open only
15 minutes. It took me ten minutes of talking to a supervisor to explain that
it's most likely that my number must have been keyed in by mistake and that
it's ridiculous to assume that I had entered the park and left and was trying
to gain "illegal" second entry for the day when the day was in fact just
beginning.

KI used to be a wonderful park. Now it's just tacky, dated, and junky, and
obviously run by idiots.

The way they've ruined The Beast and The Racer over the years, I'm sure they'll
produce nothing more than a mediocre effort when installing their next woodie.

--
Patrick Bell | All viewpoints expressed | (513) 865-7343
Mead Data Central, Inc.| are mine and not that | p...@meaddata.com

Pete Babic

Apr 7, 1994, 9:07:17 AM4/7/94

In a previous article, p...@meaddata.com (Patrick Bell) says:

>Speaking of clueless PKI management policies, I'll share a story. The last
>time I went for a full day, the computers were down at the season pass window,
>and the kids working the booth were keying in our pass numbers by hand. Okay,
>fine. When the girl input my pass number, the computer told her I was already
>in the park, and she wouldn't let me in, questioning whether or not I had
>already been there that day. It was 10:15am. The park had been open only
>15 minutes. It took me ten minutes of talking to a supervisor to explain that
>it's most likely that my number must have been keyed in by mistake and that
>it's ridiculous to assume that I had entered the park and left and was trying
>to gain "illegal" second entry for the day when the day was in fact just
>beginning.

You mean they only let you in once a day? What a bunch of morons, part of
the convenience of a season pass is being able to come and go as you please.
At Cedar Point I might enter the park two or three times a day with my pass,
leaving to go swimming or down the causeway to where my boat is without
bothering with a stamp, etc. The only thing I can think of is that PKI is
super paranoid of pass sharing between people, but the passes do have a
picture on them don't they?