Which radio has the best sound quality?

radioradio

Jan 1, 2009, 6:56:30 AM1/1/09
I have a Tecsun 1994 radio, also called Jidian R301 I-Fi Stereo Radio
( http://www.audio01.com/eng/productClassical.htm) and it has the best
sound quality of the radios made in China.
I heard Hacker Sovereign radios have good sound quality. How about
Grundigs and others? Thanks!

Bob Campbell

Jan 1, 2009, 11:30:50 AM1/1/09
"radioradio" <jinch...@163.com> wrote in message

The Grundig Satellit 650 has outstanding sound. I'm listening to it right
now on FM, playing an internet radio station via an FM transmitter that I
have. However, IMO it is a mediocre SW radio. Not particularly sensitive
or selective. I use other radios for SW, the 650's strengths are FM and
MW.

I have old tube radios that sound fantastic on AM/SW. At the top of the
list has to be my E. H. Scott High Fidelity Allwave 23, also known as the
Imperial Allwave. This is a large console radio (Tasman cabinet) made in
1936 that has 23 tubes, continuously variable bandwidth from 2 to 16 kHz,
and a 12 inch speaker driven by a 35 watt amp using 4, 2A3 tubes. I had
it restored about 15 years ago and it works and sounds great.

A picture of this radio is available here (not my actual radio of course):

http://www.radiodaze.com/

Click on the E.H. Scott Collection button on the left, then scroll down
about halfway. The E.H. Scott Allwave 23 - 5 Knob (Tasman Cabinet) is what
I have, except that mine is the later model with 7 knobs like the one
immediately below it.

I also have more recent, less exotic (and less expensive) AM/FM tube radios
that are great performers. I like the Zenith K731's, with 7 tubes, a 4 x 6
" oval speaker and a small electrostatic tweeter. I have 3 or 4 of these.
I also have a couple of Zenith H845's. These have 8 tubes, a larger 8"
round speaker and small tweeter in a larger cabinet than the K731, and so
have a fuller sound. Both of these appear on eBay regularly. Also, both
models are easy to work on (recap, replace old selenium rectifier with
modern diode, etc.) and tubes are readily available and cheap.

Unlike the Scott above! Those 2A3 tubes can be anywhere from $40 to $150
each, depending on where/when you get them. Fortunately I already have 5
spares, along with multiple spares for every other tube in the set.

Sorry for rambling on, but it *is* nice to actually talk about radios here.

Dave

Jan 1, 2009, 12:48:19 PM1/1/09
Bob Campbell wrote:

> The Grundig Satellit 650 has outstanding sound. I'm listening to it
> right now on FM, playing an internet radio station via an FM transmitter
> that I have. However, IMO it is a mediocre SW radio. Not
> particularly sensitive or selective.

Is the mechanical tracking pre-selector not working?

Bob Campbell

Jan 1, 2009, 4:32:05 PM1/1/09
"Dave" <da...@dave.dave> wrote in message

Yes, it works fine. I just have better SW radios here than the 650.

RHF

Jan 1, 2009, 6:49:57 PM1/1/09
On Jan 1, 8:30 am, "Bob Campbell" <b...@bob.bob> wrote:
> "radioradio" <jinchan...@163.com> wrote in message

> >I have a Tecsun 1994 radio, also called Jidian R301 I-Fi Stereo Radio
> > (http://www.audio01.com/eng/productClassical.htm) and it has the best

> > sound quality of the radios made in China.
> > I heard Hacker Sovereign radios have good sound quality. How about
> > Grundigs and others? Thanks!
>
> The Grundig Satellit 650 has outstanding sound.   I'm listening to it right
> now on FM, playing an internet radio station via an FM transmitter that I
> have.   However, IMO it is a mediocre SW radio.   Not particularly sensitive
> or selective.   I use other radios for SW, the 650's strengths are FM and
> MW.
>
> I have old tube radios that sound fantastic on AM/SW.   At the top of the
> list has to be my E. H. Scott High Fidelity Allwave 23, also known as the
> Imperial Allwave.    This is a large console radio (Tasman cabinet) made in
> 1936 that has 23 tubes, continuously variable bandwidth from 2 to 16 kHz,
> and a 12 inch speaker driven by a 35 watt amp using 4, 2A3 tubes.    I had
> it restored about 15 years ago and it works and sounds great.
>
> A picture of this radio is available here (not my actual radio of course):
>
> http://www.radiodaze.com/
>
> Click on the E.H. Scott Collection button on the left, then scroll down
> about halfway.   The E.H. Scott Allwave 23 - 5 Knob (Tasman Cabinet) is what
> I have, except that mine is the later model with 7 knobs like the one
> immediately below it.
>
> I also have more recent, less exotic (and less expensive) AM/FM tube radios
> that are great performers.

-  I like the Zenith K731's, with 7 tubes, a 4 x 6 " oval speaker
- and a small electrostatic tweeter.   I have 3 or 4 of these.
- I also have a couple of Zenith H845's. These have 8 tubes,
- a larger 8" round speaker and small tweeter in a larger
- cabinet than the K731, and so have a fuller sound.
- Both of these appear on eBay regularly.   Also, both
- models are easy to work on (recap, replace old selenium
- rectifier with modern diode, etc.) and tubes are readily
- available and cheap.

BC,

Yeah, I have one of the Zenith K731's and it is
a very nice sounding old "Mono" Tube Radio.
http://radioattic.com/item.htm?radio=0003021
http://flickr.com/photos/42742353@N00/499107382
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g68/Zenithman/X3343.jpg

Thanks for the Tip on the Zenith H845's :
I will be looking for one on eBay.
http://www.m151a2.jp/audio/big140.html
http://radioattic.com/item_sold.php?radio=0004137X
http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/zenith_h845_ch_8h20.html

SEARCH eBay -for- Zenith Radio K731 -or- H845
http://shop.ebay.com/items/?_nkw=Zenith+Radio+(K731%2CH845)

Here Are More Old 'Tube" Radios . . .
http://www.m151a2.jp/audio/radio.html
http://radioattic.com/item.htm?radio=0003021

yes i heard it on the ray-di-oh ~ RHF
Twain Harte, CA -USA-

BCBlazysusan

Jan 1, 2009, 11:12:26 PM1/1/09
On Jan 1, 6:56 am, radioradio <jinchan...@163.com> wrote:
> I have a Tecsun 1994 radio, also called Jidian R301 I-Fi Stereo Radio
> (http://www.audio01.com/eng/productClassical.htm) and it has the best

> sound quality of the radios made in China.
> I heard Hacker Sovereign radios have good sound quality. How about
> Grundigs and others? Thanks!

Those are pretty sharp looking radios, especially some of them being
tube radios. Too bad I didn't see any prices.

radioradio

Jan 6, 2009, 8:34:53 AM1/6/09

the prices of Jidian radios(in Chinese)
http://shop33773290.taobao.com/

BCBlazysusan

Jan 7, 2009, 4:17:53 AM1/7/09
> a very nice sounding old "Mono" Tube Radio.http://radioattic.com/item.htm?radio=0003021http://flickr.com/photos/42742353@N00/499107382http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g68/Zenithman/X3343.jpg

> Thanks for the Tip on the Zenith H845's :
> I will be looking for one on eBay.http://www.m151a2.jp/audio/big140.htmlhttp://radioattic.com/item_sold.php?radio=0004137Xhttp://www.radiomuseum.org/r/zenith_h845_ch_8h20.html
>
> SEARCH eBay -for- Zenith Radio K731 -or- H845http://shop.ebay.com/items/?_nkw=Zenith+Radio+(K731%2CH845)
>
> Here Are More Old 'Tube" Radios . . .http://www.m151a2.jp/audio/radio.htmlhttp://radioattic.com/item.htm?radio=0003021

> yes i heard it on the ray-di-oh ~ RHF
> Twain Harte, CA -USA-
>  .
>

> > Unlike the Scott above!   Those 2A3 tubes can be anywhere from $40 to $150
> > each, depending on where/when you get them.   Fortunately I already have 5
> > spares, along with multiple spares for every other tube in the set.
>
> > Sorry for rambling on, but it *is* nice to actually talk about radios here.- Hide quoted text -

Those were pretty good link RHF especially the first one. Once spring
gets around I am going to comb the area and try to find an older
(maybe late60-early70's) AM/FM if it has shortwave all the
better....one of those consoles. The kind that has the record player
in it. I miss not being able to play a record if I want.