Clue that raises a smile

Uncle Yap

Jul 1, 2004, 5:04:05 AM7/1/04
Today's Times 22705 has as 22D
Colouring like Will S's wife when upset? (5)

Very clever clue

Paddy Grove

Jul 1, 2004, 5:09:30 AM7/1/04
Uncle Yap <yf...@streamyx.com> writes:

(ROT13) URAAN?

- Paddy

--
Paddy Grove, Cambridge, UK
Rage of a theologian surrounded by party extremists (5)

Peter T. Daniels

Jul 1, 2004, 7:03:37 AM7/1/04
Paddy Grove wrote:

> Uncle Yap <yf...@streamyx.com> writes:
>
> > Today's Times 22705 has as 22D
> > Colouring like Will S's wife when upset? (5)
> >
> > Very clever clue
>
> (ROT13) URAAN?

Obviously.

What's special about it? Surely any decent clue "raises a smile"?
--
Peter T. Daniels gram...@att.net

Uncle Yap

Jul 1, 2004, 11:47:57 AM7/1/04
On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 11:03:37 GMT, "Peter T. Daniels"
<gram...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>> > Today's Times 22705 has as 22D
>> > Colouring like Will S's wife when upset? (5)
>> > Very clever clue
>> (ROT13) URAAN?
>Obviously.
>What's special about it? Surely any decent clue "raises a smile"?

For goodness sake, open your eyes and see the sight
Open your nostrils and smell the flowers
Open your ears and hear the birds

Cryptic crossword puzzles are meant to amuse and entertain and to be
enjoyed but definitely not subject to the kind of "no-value-added"
comment that you made

Wouldn't this forum be a more pleasant place if people would
stay silent unless they can improve the silence?

The Last Danish Pastry

Jul 1, 2004, 12:39:13 PM7/1/04
"Uncle Yap" <yf...@streamyx.com> wrote in message

> Today's Times 22705 has as 22D
> Colouring like Will S's wife when upset? (5)
>
> Very clever clue

1A had me puzzled:

Fraud taken to court for hearing (5)

I had P_E_D and could not figure out why it was PLEAD, but, of course, it
isn't.

--
Clive Tooth
http://www.clivetooth.dk

Not Here

Jul 1, 2004, 8:03:14 PM7/1/04
So clever that I would appreciate clarification!

How do you get "Henna" from "Colouring like Will S's wife when upset?" ??

Niall

Steve B.

Jul 1, 2004, 8:47:06 PM7/1/04
William Shakespeare's wife was Anne Hathaway. Will S., Anne H., get it?

I'd have preferred "Reddening like..."

Steve = : ^ )

Jeremy C B Nicoll

Jul 1, 2004, 8:40:39 PM7/1/04
In article <bD1Fc.88367$Ax1.1...@news20.bellglobal.com>,

Not Here <n...@one.com> wrote:
> So clever that I would appreciate clarification!

> How do you get "Henna" from "Colouring like Will S's wife when upset?" ??

Henna is a dye.
AnneH is Anne Hathaway

Steve Grant

Jul 1, 2004, 9:34:07 PM7/1/04
"Not Here" <n...@one.com> wrote in message

> So clever that I would appreciate clarification!
>
> How do you get "Henna" from "Colouring like Will S's wife when upset?" ??

William Shakespeare was married to Anne Hathaway. Henna is a hair
colo(u)ring.

Steve B.

Jul 1, 2004, 9:42:52 PM7/1/04

Steve B. said:

> I'd have preferred "Reddening like..."

But I see the dictionary doesn't support me... :-\

Richard Sabey

Jul 2, 2004, 2:20:58 AM7/2/04
"The Last Danish Pastry" <cli...@gmail.com> wrote in message news:<2kit1hF...@uni-berlin.de>...

> "Uncle Yap" <yf...@streamyx.com> wrote in message
>
> > Today's Times 22705 has as 22D
> > Colouring like Will S's wife when upset? (5)
> >
> > Very clever clue

Well -- it gets there with some inelegance. Inelegance might raise
a smile, but it's also a property for which many clues have been
penalised in PCWCs and the like by many people.

> 1A had me puzzled:
>
> Fraud taken to court for hearing (5)

>[...] P_E_D

"<X> for hearing" for "homophone of <X>"? Ugh.
--
Richard Sabey Visit the r.p.crosswords competition website
cryptic_fan at hotmail.com http://www.rsabey.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/rpc/

Richard Sabey

Jul 2, 2004, 2:23:42 AM7/2/04
"The Last Danish Pastry" <cli...@gmail.com> wrote in message news:<2kit1hF...@uni-berlin.de>...
> "Uncle Yap" <yf...@streamyx.com> wrote in message
>
> > Today's Times 22705 has as 22D
> > Colouring like Will S's wife when upset? (5)
> >
> > Very clever clue

The cryptic clue builds the answer with some inelegance. Inelegance
might raise a smile, but it's a property for which many clues have been

penalised in PCWCs and the like by many people.

> 1A had me puzzled:

> Fraud taken to court for hearing (5)

Dr Ivan D. Reid

Jul 2, 2004, 3:36:27 PM7/2/04
On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 17:04:05 +0800, Uncle Yap <yf...@streamyx.com>
wrote in <onk7e0dul10biusvg...@4ax.com>:

> Today's Times 22705 has as 22D
> Colouring like Will S's wife when upset? (5)

> Very clever clue

Speaking of the Times, someone left a copy on the bus on Wednesday,
so I was able to try its crossword instead of the Guardian's that I didn't
get around to buying that day. Finally finished it all(?) except for 14D:

Heartless fiend enters by way of filthy dwelling, which is certainly non-U!
(5,5)

I have _ I _ E _ N _ S _ D but I'm willing to concede the D may
be wrong. Any hints?

Took a while to see, let alone justify, the answer to 11D:

Note the shuddering domestic appliance Bill regularly installed, noisy
thing (6,7).

ROT-13:

Abgr gur fuhqqrevat qbzrfgvp nccyvnapr Ovyy erthyneyl vafgnyyrq, abvfl
guvat (6,7).

TURGGB OYNFGRE

--
Ivan Reid, Electronic & Computer Engineering, ___ CMS Collaboration,
Brunel University. Ivan...@brunel.ac.uk Room 40-1-B12, CERN

Ed Enstrom

Jul 2, 2004, 4:03:05 PM7/2/04
"Dr Ivan D. Reid" <Ivan...@brunel.ac.uk> wrote in message

> Heartless fiend enters by way of filthy dwelling, which is certainly
non-U!
> (5,5)
>
> I have _ I _ E _ N _ S _ D but I'm willing to concede the D may
> be wrong. Any hints?

The "D" is wrong.

I had never heard this term before. Maybe because I'm on the west side of
the pond or I have led a sheltered life. ;-)
Google turned up 38,000 pages. One of them said that the term dates from
the 1980s.

Hint: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Dr Ivan D. Reid

Jul 2, 2004, 6:58:41 PM7/2/04
On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 20:03:05 GMT, Ed Enstrom <spam...@domain.invalid.net>
wrote in <ZbjFc.9203$aM4.2...@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>:

> "Dr Ivan D. Reid" <Ivan...@brunel.ac.uk> wrote in message

>> Heartless fiend enters by way of filthy dwelling, which is certainly
> non-U!
>> (5,5)

>> I have _ I _ E _ N _ S _ D but I'm willing to concede the D may
>> be wrong. Any hints?

> The "D" is wrong.

So when "dyne" ain't the answer,...

> I had never heard this term before. Maybe because I'm on the west side of
> the pond or I have led a sheltered life. ;-)
> Google turned up 38,000 pages. One of them said that the term dates from
> the 1980s.

Oh, scheisse! And it turned up in the Guardian within the last
fortnight, too, IIRC. Shoulda tried harder to fit "sty" in...

> Hint: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Well, yes, I'm a bit too squeamish to watch that sort of movie -- I
almost walked out of Monty Python and the Holy Grail, first time around.

--
Ivan Reid, Electronic & Computer Engineering, ___ CMS Collaboration,
Brunel University. Ivan...@brunel.ac.uk Room 40-1-B12, CERN

GSX600F, RG250WD. "You Porsche. Me pass!" DoD #484 JKLO# 003, 005
WP7# 3000 LC Unit #2368 (tinlc) UKMC#00009 BOTAFOT#16 UKRMMA#7 (Hon)

William Tunstall-Pedoe

Jul 3, 2004, 1:59:34 PM7/3/04
In article <slrncebe9q.9...@loki.brunel.ac.uk>, Dr Ivan D. Reid
<Ivan...@brunel.ac.uk> writes
[...]

>Heartless fiend enters by way of filthy dwelling, which is certainly non-U!
>(5,5)

[...]

I believe I have the answer to this (rot 13: ivqrb anfgl) and I'm
guessing the clue is intended as a (stretched) &lit.

However, I'm struggling to decode the wordplay.

I'm guessing "filthy dwelling" -> "sty" and a "U" needs to be removed
somewhere but I can't figure it out.

Anyone want to help?

Thanks.

William

--
http://www.williamtp.com/

mUs1Ka

Jul 3, 2004, 1:17:51 PM7/3/04
Heartless fiend - demon - DEON
enters by way of - VIA - VIDEONA
filthy dwelling - STY
VIDEO NASTY
--
Ray

Chris Jobson

Jul 3, 2004, 2:12:03 PM7/3/04
> >> Heartless fiend enters by way of filthy dwelling, which is certainly
> >> non-U! (5,5)
> Heartless fiend - demon - DEON
> enters by way of - VIA - VIDEONA
> filthy dwelling - STY
> VIDEO NASTY
And I think "which is certainly non-U!" is the definition, referring to the
classification scheme for films and videos where U (universal) menas
suitable for everyone, including young children.

Chris Jobson

Peter T. Daniels

Jul 3, 2004, 9:38:27 PM7/3/04

Is that an existing phrase?? What's it supposed to mean?

Uncle Yap

Jul 4, 2004, 3:46:16 AM7/4/04
On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 01:38:27 GMT, "Peter T. Daniels"
<gram...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>> VIDEO NASTY
>
>Is that an existing phrase?? What's it supposed to mean?

video nasty
noun

U.K. pornographic or horror film on videotape: a movie on videotape
that contains explicitly violent or pornographic scenes ( slang )
http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/features/dictionary/DictionaryResults.aspx?refid=561511339

William Tunstall-Pedoe

Jul 4, 2004, 8:08:33 AM7/4/04
In article <cc6stc$1so$1...@newsreader.mailgate.org>, Chris Jobson
<chris....@btinternet.com> writes

Thanks to you both.

I guess the wordplay is sound (even though it was hard for me to find).

The definition is a bit unsatisfactory though. I'm not sure if it
reasonable to define a noun by "which is <adjective>" and the surface
doesn't work very well either if it isn't an attempt to define the
entire word. How can a dwelling be non-U?

The words "heartless", "fiend" and "filthy" and the use of "which" still
make me think the setter was attempting an &lit - even though the
wordplay stops before the end.

William

---
http://www.crosswordtools.com/

Peter T. Daniels

Jul 4, 2004, 8:10:34 AM7/4/04

The which-clause modifies the sentence ("fiend enters!"), rather than
the noun "dwelling."