Guardian Cryptic Crossword No. 24350 set by Brendan

Uncle Yap

Mar 31, 2008, 1:34:34 PM3/31/08
If this puzzle is by Brendan, then my name is Roger Squires

Colin Blackburn

Apr 1, 2008, 3:56:22 AM4/1/08
Uncle Yap wrote:
> If this puzzle is by Brendan, then my name is Roger Squires

If the thematic hidden words in every row are by Rufus then my name is
Brian Greer.

Colin

Dr Ivan D. Reid

Apr 1, 2008, 6:41:14 AM4/1/08
On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 08:56:22 +0100, Colin Blackburn <ne...@ximenes.org.uk>
wrote in <65e857F...@mid.individual.net>:

Ah, I see it now. I wondered about the subtitle when I read the
paper, but didn't pursue it too far.

--
Ivan Reid, School of Engineering & Design, _____________ CMS Collaboration,
Brunel University. Ivan.Reid@[brunel.ac.uk|cern.ch] Room 40-1-B12, CERN

Steve Ball

Apr 1, 2008, 7:17:16 AM4/1/08
Dr Ivan D. Reid:

> On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 08:56:22 +0100, Colin Blackburn <ne...@ximenes.org.uk>
> wrote in <65e857F...@mid.individual.net>:
>> Uncle Yap wrote:
>>> If this puzzle is by Brendan, then my name is Roger Squires
>
>> If the thematic hidden words in every row are by Rufus then my name is
>> Brian Greer.
>
> Ah, I see it now. I wondered about the subtitle when I read the
> paper, but didn't pursue it too far.

At the risk of appearing thick, what on Earth are you guys talking about?
--
Steve = : ^ \

Ilan Caron

Apr 1, 2008, 7:46:04 AM4/1/08
On Apr 1, 7:17 am, Steve Ball <pretty_g...@every.thing> wrote:
> Dr Ivan D. Reid:
>
> > On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 08:56:22 +0100, Colin Blackburn <n...@ximenes.org.uk>
> > wrote in <65e857F2d7vp...@mid.individual.net>:

> >> If the thematic hidden words in every row are by Rufus then my name is
> >> Brian Greer.
>
> > Ah, I see it now. I wondered about the subtitle when I read the
> > paper, but didn't pursue it too far.
>
> At the risk of appearing thick, what on Earth are you guys talking about?
> --
> Steve = : ^ \

Monday's Guardian was by Brendan (aka Brian Greer) -- while it's
usually Rufus. The puzzle itself was fairly easy however there was an
elegant nina based on the middle entry (INSIDE STORY) in which each of
the across answers hid a synonym of "story", e.g. 5A and 6A were:
STABle gendER.

Peter T. Daniels

Apr 1, 2008, 8:08:22 AM4/1/08
On Apr 1, 7:46 am, Ilan Caron <ilan.ca...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Monday's Guardian was by Brendan (aka Brian Greer) -- while it's
> usually Rufus.  The puzzle itself was fairly easy however there was an
> elegant nina based on the middle entry (INSIDE STORY) in which each of
> the across answers hid a synonym of "story", e.g. 5A and 6A were:

> STABle gendER.-

"An elegant nina"?? Did Mr. Hirschfeld know that his daughter had
become a common noun?

Steve Ball

Apr 1, 2008, 2:39:42 PM4/1/08
Ilan Caron:

I see. Thanks.
--
Steve = : ^ )

Derek Wills

Apr 1, 2008, 3:58:08 PM4/1/08
> the across answers hid a synonym of "story", e.g. 5A and 6A were:
> STABle gendER.

Blimey, I never noticed that - the online version
doesn't have any indication of clever stuff going on.

But either way, it didn't feel like a Rufus.

Today's Araucaria is funny -

Derek