Born Free vs Lazy Daze -- at least ONE difference

Steve Moline

Oct 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/18/98
My many thanks to all to responded with sound, objective advice. It seems
that the general consensus is that I either caught someone on a bad day or
we just unintentionally generated some bad chemistry. That happens to the
best of us, so perhaps my criticism was a little too hasty.

There is uniform agreement that Lazy Daze makes at least ONE of the best, if
not THE best motorhome in the industry. Unfortunately, they're in
California and I'm in Virginia, so a visit to their factory is non-trivial.
I did receive their brochure, and will probably order their 30-minute video
tape.

Right now we're still in the research phase (want to go fulltiming for 2-3
years starting Spring'99), so we'll make time to visit Lazy Daze in CA if
they continue to stay in the running over the next few months.

Thanks again to all who responded (Gus, in particular) and for this
newsgroup in general. It's tremendously informative and extremely valuable.

See ya on the road!

Steve

Rick Alcocer

Oct 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/19/98
My parents just bought a Lazy Daze 26.5 foot mid-bath, but it's still at
Lazy Daze as a show model until next week. I went down to check it out
this past weekend: I had a whole checklist of things that I wanted to
review so that my folks would not have any problems after they drove it
off the lot.

Needless to say, when I got down there, the owner was not real happy to
see me there with my little checklist, but I did go through the unit and
checked out a few of the more important things on my list.

The owner and I did talk for awhile, though, and he spent a lot of time
assuring me of their quality control proceedures, and also told me that
my parents will go through a four-hour introduction with the unit.

What made me put away my list more than anything was the overall quality
of the unit. I was amazed -- I still am. The fit and finish of this
thing was top rate. Seeing this RV made any other I've ever seen, and
I've looked at hundreds, look like a rolling garbage heap.

Go for the Lazy Daze. I will when I can afford one.

Rick

Frank Westphal

Oct 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/20/98
I thought it looked like the TV was mounted as an afterthought with out much
planning. This was a change for the 1999 model, as in previous years no TV
was available in the rear lounge. The owners are less than friendly when
you question any of their methods. It is their way or the highway.

Rick Alcocer wrote in message
<15226-36...@newsd-142.iap.bryant.webtv.net>...

Linda Brodsky

Oct 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/21/98
Our two cents added to the discussion: In reviewing the literature from both
companies, two major differences stand out to us. One is that the Born Free
is an all fiberglass outside with a ten year warranty while the Lazy Daze is
painted aircraft aluminum and a rubber roof which could require more
maintenance (painting, sealing etc.) The other is that the Born Free offers
more flexibility in its floor plans and, if you require some special
configuration, they will customize for your needs.

The prices aren't so different with the smallest Lazy Daze having a list of
about $47,000 and the comparable Born Free being around $52,000.

At this point in our personal search, we are still trying to decide between
a Born Free and a Chinook Concouse. We have seen several Born Free models at
an RV show and they are very well made and thoughtfully appointed. We have
also seen and driven the Chinook and it has nice features too. The major
things pulling us toward the Born Free are much lower price than the
Chinook, option to get a dry bath and the inclusion of steel roll bars. The
Lazy Daze, while interesting, concerned us because of the previously
mentioned and also because they do not specifiy the brands of the appliances
used. Both Born Free and Chinook are very pleasant to deal with on the phone
and in person. Apparently, Lazy Daze isn't so gracious.

Herb and Linda Brodsky

Steve Moline

Oct 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/23/98
Interesting points, Herb and Linda. I've kind of mellowed in my criticism
of Lazy Daze (I'm the one who started this with my message describing their
indifferent behavior). I was surprised by the number of people who've
responded with similar experiences. On the other hand, however, many other
people spoke up with opposite experiences as well.

There's no question that Lazy Daze makes a fine coach. Apparently, they're
not motivated to enhance their marketing or sales approach because word of
mouth and quality of product does their selling for them. I will add
though, that after receiving their brochure and writing back asking for more
information, I didn't receive anything further. Maybe they read my comments
and I'm black-listed now!

I don't concur with your cost figures, though. Going through brochures from
both Born Free and Lazy Daze, I see the 26 1/2 foot Lazy Daze mid-bath rear
lounge selling for $57500, with everything included (generator, a/c, awning,
etc.) A similar 26' rear bed Born Free coach is $57,995 BASIC, and then
add on for cabover ($2k), Super Duty chassis ($1,650), Option Package ($2k),
generator ($2,675), and awning ($890), which quickly costs it out at
approximately $10k more than the Lazy Daze.

Now Born Free may BE the better coach, but is it $10k better? We'll see.
I'm still talking to Jerry and Steve at Born Free (at least they talk to me)
and will visit their showroom in Florida when it opens. Could be a tough
decision!

Steve

James A. Tramutolo

Oct 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/23/98
Somewhere either in this thread or a similar one I seen mentioned that the
Lazy Daze coaches had a "rubber roof." I am a Lazy Daze owner and I assure
you that my '96 23-1/2 Twin King has no rubber roof. It is metal, in fact I
was on top of it today washing it down. Another matter, aluminum aircraft
skin, and aircraft-type paint appear to me to last longer then the
fiberglass skins I have seen on other coaches.

Yes they are an arrogant - but experienced bunch at the Lazy Daze factory -
you ever wonder why?

Best regards,

Jim T.

Cheapie wrote in message <36314c54...@nntp.a001.sprintmail.com>...

> [...]

>looking at, in under and around Born Free's, they are built well and
>i'm just finishing up a 20 year stint as a maintenance man, so i have
>a good idea of "well constructed".
>
>When i chose (I have a deal going now and will, one way or another be
>getting a Born Free). Anyway after i had looked closely at about 100
>RV's and glanced at another 900 (over 2 years). I chose the Born Free,
>knowing i did not want to take the 'hit" and buy a new one, but would
>buy a used one. Then i discovered they cost a little more than some of
>the others...... i owned a 1966 Harley Sportster, it took me one year
>to save the money to buy it. I had plenty of buddies who had bought
>other motorcycles than the sportster... but 90% confided in me that
>they wish they had bought the Sportster, but what they got was
>cheaper..... i never could figure it out, many of them made more money
>than i did, i just scrimped and saved for a year while many of them
>bought what they did not want... and i waited and got what i
>wanted.... not because i wanted to impress anyone, but only because i
>thought it was the best.......
>
> You should get what you like irrespective of price then there are
>ways to work around price. There are many items i buy because of the
>price... (that's why they call me cheapie <grin>). A buddy reminded me
>that there is only one other person he knows that is cheaper than me,
>his wife.... he then smiled and said to me, that's why you can retire
>at 51............... i smiled. So i do cheap out on many things that
>don't matter, but i won't cheap out on the things to do....., but in
>my opinion, if you get the motor home your happy with, be it Born Free
>(my favorite <grin>) or Lazy Daze, you will remember the quality and
>workmanship long after you have forgot what you paid for it.
>
>Oh, there used to be a guy who worked for the airlines (years ago), he
>got a pass that let him fly for $4 ( four dollars) but he always paid
>a extra $10 to go first class.... he figured i'm gonna fly anyway, so
>why not go first class....
>
>So using your math.....your going to spend $47,000 on a motor home and
>what if the one you really like is $57,000 that means you spending the
>$47,000 either way, so if the Born Free does cost $10,00- more, then
>in a manner of speaking, your only paying $10,000 for the motor home
>you want, since you were spending $47,000 anyway...... well that is
>one way to look at it........
>
>You posted here for comments, if you get the one you want, after
>checking them both out, you will be happier in the long run, much
>happier......
>
>Then again, if you just want to save money <grin>, i did see some
>bargains today at the show.....................................
>
>If my current deal washes out, i will be going to visit FL Born Free,
>my flyer said they open Dec 1st. I had looked when Max and Martha were
>down last year, they had some nice used newer bigger ones, i was

Slats

Oct 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/23/98
Is the Born Free a heavy tub vs Lazy Daze..aluminum?

Cheapie

Oct 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/24/98

SondraD11

Oct 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/24/98
According to Lazy Daze specs which can be found on their web site at:
http://www.lazydaze.com/cspecs3.html they do NOT have a rubber roof. Here is
what they state: "Streamline one-piece molded nose cone for improved
aerodynamics, insulation and appearance. The roof is one piece, long lasting,
painted aluminum...not rubber!"

Of course, since these are current specs, it may be possible that prior year
models were built differently.

Sondra

Frank Westphal

Oct 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/24/98
Lazy Daze does not have a rubber roof, but an aircraft alumimun roof.
Compare the Net Carrying Capacity between Lazy Daze and Born Free, and you
will see that Lazy Daze has a much greater number, twice on some models.

I have seen ten year old Born Free and Lazy Daze units and as far as the
exterior is concerned the painted aircraft aluminum seems to hold up better
to the weather than fiberglass.

Frank

mystro`

Oct 25, 1998, 2:00:00 AM10/25/98
Just a point,Lazy Daze certainly doesnt NOT have a rubber roof but it
sure has aircraft aluminum quality sides and one piece roof that will
out last any fiberglass product and you will never get
bubbling/blistering that glass is known to do even in higher end rigs.
Your prices are also off the mark..the Lazy Dazes can be had fully loaded
for about $7300 less then a BFree. Just my 02cents worth :)

In article <70klbr$8...@mail.nassaulibrary.org>,
ml48...@nassaulibrary.org says...

> Our two cents added to the discussion: In reviewing the literature from both
> companies, two major differences stand out to us. One is that the Born Free
> is an all fiberglass outside with a ten year warranty while the Lazy Daze is
> painted aircraft aluminum and a rubber roof which could require more

> maintenance (painting, sealing etc.) The other is that the Born Free offers

Richard Barish

Oct 25, 1998, 2:00:00 AM10/25/98
Lazy Daze has a four star rating from RVCG. I am currently looking at BF
and LD both are top quality coaches. I have been corresponding with both
companies and have been given great info.

Frank Westphal

Oct 25, 1998, 2:00:00 AM10/25/98
What rating did the RVGC give the Bigfoot?

I also have been looking at Bigfoot and Lazy Daze and I believe my next MH
will be one of these. I looked at Born Free also, but their MH's seem to be
just a bit small overall for a big guy like me 6'4". IMO Born Free's seem
to be between a class B and C.

I would be looking for a good used MH (2-3 yrs old) to avoid a big
depreciation hit. I like the 26 ft rear bath Lazy Daze and the 29 ft garage
option Bigfoot. (The only Bigfoot I have seen in Southern California). The
LD is about 10K less than the BigFoot, but I like some of the options on the
Bigfoot.

Will have to research for awhile before I decide.

Frank

Richard Barish wrote in message
<9664-363...@newsd-123.bryant.webtv.net>...