Bach for Children?

Daniel Schorr

Jan 19, 2011, 10:24:59 AM1/19/11
HI
I was wondering if anyone in this group knows of any pieces or
compilations of JS Bach's music that would be relatively easy (and
fun) for children to play.This is for my guitar students, but any
pieces that are relatively easy, and easy to adapt to guitar) will do.

I will probably have to go through his works myself and select some
stuff, but figured I might try to pick the collective brain of RMT
before starting on that journey.

Thanks,
Danny

J.B. Wood

Jan 19, 2011, 11:44:09 AM1/19/11

Hello, and perhaps (although well-worn) pieces such as "Fur Elise" and
"Sheep May Safely Graze" might fit the bill. You can also check in a
church hymnal (e.g. The Lutheran Book of Worship) for some ideas.
Sincerely,

--
John Wood (Code 5520) e-mail: wo...@itd.nrl.navy.mil
Naval Research Laboratory

J.B. Wood

Jan 19, 2011, 11:47:11 AM1/19/11
On 01/19/2011 11:44 AM, J.B. Wood wrote:
> On 01/19/2011 10:24 AM, Daniel Schorr wrote:
>> HI
>> I was wondering if anyone in this group knows of any pieces or
>> compilations of JS Bach's music that would be relatively easy (and
>> fun) for children to play.This is for my guitar students, but any
>> pieces that are relatively easy, and easy to adapt to guitar) will do.
>>
>> I will probably have to go through his works myself and select some
>> stuff, but figured I might try to pick the collective brain of RMT
>> before starting on that journey.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Danny
>
> Hello, and perhaps (although well-worn) pieces such as "Fur Elise" and
> "Sheep May Safely Graze" might fit the bill. You can also check in a
> church hymnal (e.g. The Lutheran Book of Worship) for some ideas.
> Sincerely,

Whoops! Another screw-up by me. Strike "Fur Elise" from the
recommendations. (This is sooo embarrassing.) Sincerely,

Hans Aberg

Jan 19, 2011, 11:52:21 AM1/19/11
On 2011/01/19 16:24, Daniel Schorr wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone in this group knows of any pieces or
> compilations of JS Bach's music that would be relatively easy (and
> fun) for children to play.This is for my guitar students, but any
> pieces that are relatively easy, and easy to adapt to guitar) will do.

There is the BWV 996 Bouree that Jethro Tull recorded.

LJS

Jan 21, 2011, 7:05:31 AM1/21/11

didn't he write for... what was her name? Anna Marie Albergetti or
something like that? I seem to remember that he wrote for some
beginner. Maybe someone can remember the name I am thinking of?

LJS

Tom K.

Jan 21, 2011, 11:26:17 AM1/21/11

"LJS" wrote in message

LJS

You're probably thinking of the "Notebook for Anna Magdalena". There were
actually 2 and the 2nd (from 1725, IIRC) would probably be suitable for
Danny as it contains "popular" easy pieces such as the March in D Major.
But be aware it is a compilation and includes works of other composers as
well as J.S. Bach. While the works are for keyboard, many should be easily
adaptable for guitar.

Tom

LJS

Jan 21, 2011, 1:25:36 PM1/21/11

lol, Thanks Tom. that is exactly the one. Albergetti was a soprano
that I played with a long time ago. I just couldn't remember inbetween
classes when I jotted down a reply.

Good to hear from both you and Danny. So much crap in this group
lately! its getting hard to keep up with the deletes.
LJS

Daniel Schorr

Jan 22, 2011, 2:40:00 AM1/22/11

Hey guys,

Actually, I've already gone thru most of the pieces mentioned so far.
In fact, this is what led me to look for more pieces.

I get the kids playing "Fur Elise" very early on. They love it because
they realize that just because something is usually played on piano
doesn't mean they can't play it on guitar. Plus, everyone recognizes
the tune they are playing. It is a simple Am-E7 arrangement with some
open position notes, quickly gives 'em confidence.

Then at some point they get to "Minuet in G" which they've usually
heard before, and "Eine Kliene Nacht Musik" they enjoy. The other
piece is the melody from "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring".

And that's all I've got. I am specifically looking for more technical
pieces to take them to the next level. For instance, I tried out an
arrangement of Invention #1 in C major but they didn't go for that, I
think because it didn't have a strong enough melody.

I'd like to get them playing more technical stuff using quality music.
Maybe I am on the wrong track with Bach. I cant think of anything else
that isn't progressive rock like Rush. We do that, too, but I would
like to keep that a separate thing. I have looked at a lot of method
books and compilations, still haven't found anything yet.

Thanks for the suggestions, and Hans, I am going to check out the
Jethro Tull thing. Sounds promising

Danny

LJS

Jan 23, 2011, 11:38:28 AM1/23/11
> Danny- Hide quoted text -

:Did you look at the preludes to the WTC? They may have to be
rearranged a bit, but you should know enough about music to rearrange
them if they have not already been done for guitar.

Are they capable of doing contrapuntal pieces? there are some nice
inventions and if they are really proficient, (but I think you already
know about...) the pieces for solo violin and cello that he wrote.

IF you have not seen, "Music of the Masters" , Might beMusic by the
Masters, there are a lot of pieces that could be more easily adapted
to guitar. You probably have seen most of them but this is a
particullary good collection. We used it in college for beginning
piano.

Hope it gives you ideas. Sometimes, searches for "sheet music free"
will turn up lists and examples of some hidden treasures for public
domain era pieces.

Good luck.

LJS

ps, congradulations on wading through all the idiotic posts that have
been cluttering up our group.

Bohgosity BumaskiL

Mar 4, 2011, 6:47:17 PM3/4/11
> LJS- Hide quoted text -

Let me get this straight, LJS.
Did Bach write for the Albergetti you met?

LJS

Mar 5, 2011, 6:59:44 PM3/5/11
On Mar 4, 5:47 pm, Bohgosity BumaskiL
> Did Bach write for the Albergetti you met?- Hide quoted text -

Of course, (aside: this is typical question by this troll!)

She was very old, but her voice held up pretty well for being over 200
years old.

LJS

Bohgosity BumaskiL

Mar 6, 2011, 2:20:10 AM3/6/11

That is not good enough.
I am a poser exposer.
Fess up or piss off.
_______
http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/downloads/OEQuoteFix1192.exe
It's a piece of software that will make Outlook Express do quotations
properly.

Bohgosity BumaskiL

Mar 6, 2011, 2:52:56 AM3/6/11
LJS is going to church.
When he crossed my bridge, his pants fell down and I pulled them
through my grate.
LJS is still going to church.
I am feeding his shorts to my crocodiles.
_______
http://ecn.ab.ca/~brewhaha/
Follow your dreams, except that one where you are naked in church.

LJS

Mar 7, 2011, 7:08:29 AM3/7/11
On Mar 6, 1:52 am, "Bohgosity BumaskiL"

<brewh...@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca> wrote:
> LJS is going to church.
> When he crossed my bridge, his pants fell down and I pulled them
> through my grate.
> LJS is still going to church.
> I am feeding his shorts to my crocodiles.
> _______http://ecn.ab.ca/~brewhaha/

> Follow your dreams, except that one where you are naked in church.

Thanks for proving my point that you have no point on your
understanding of what people wrote, You saved me the trouble.

And thanks for the honest anwser about your being a troll. Some of it
has been fun. I played along enough to get some of my thoughts
together on your rather esoteric but limited ideas, that is always
good to do.

But now that you have admited to trolling, and we have seen you for
what you are you arejust a nuisance like the WerioS group. What I
didn't know about you before was that you seem to be interested in
Peeping Tomism and you sneak around like a pervert. You are all that
matters in your world!

Good Bye. You are no fun any more.

LJS

Mar 7, 2011, 5:07:14 PM3/7/11

one more thing
You never did answer anything about music. Only about your sounds!
Never paid any attention to anyone's comments except yours. No wonder
you live under a bridge and look up at people's bottoms. Try stepping
into the light sometimes. Things might be clearer up here in the
light.

LJS

Daniel Schorr

Mar 9, 2011, 2:01:37 PM3/9/11
Sorry to interrupt and bring this thread back on topic, but we settled
on "Air on a G string" for fingerstyle arrangement, "Aria" from the
Goldberg's ditto, and "Chromatic Fantasy" for the bass student.

Carry on....

D.

LJS

Mar 12, 2011, 1:20:15 PM3/12/11

Great, How are they doing with them? I was wondering about the
fingering. How does the fingering translate from violin to guitar? Its
not at all the same unless you have a really big finger span! lol

My guess is that it would be good for general technique as it would be
a different challange. What I think would be good is the "out the box"
fingering approach to melodic writing. I would think that in general a
violinist, a guitarist and a keyboard player would have different
melodic choices if they were thinking of ease of playing while they
were composing. Does that seem to be the case?

LJS

Daniel Schorr

Mar 19, 2011, 10:06:06 PM3/19/11

Depends on the piece. Depends on the key. The violin sonatas in G
minor ( single voiced, not fugues), for instance, can take advantage
of the open G and D strings often. That split second where you play a
given note open gives you time to position shifts. And, sure, there a
lot of position shifts arise from translating between an instrument
where the hand can handle strings tuned in 5ths instead of fourths.
But what gets lost in reach gets replaced with more optional
fingerings because of the 2 extra strings.

Often there are many fingerings to choose from for a given
phrase.Many times I used one fingering and would come across a better
one a few weeks later. Overall though, it's almost shocking how well
the violin sonatas translate to guitar. Particularly the Prelude in E
major - there is a part with descending 7-6 suspension figures where
you can use the open high E really well as a pedal tone.and the figure
descends on strings 2 and 4. The string skip is a bitch though, so
there is both benefits and drawbacks

The prelude in G Major from the cello suites sits practicallylike
folk guitar in many many spots - every once in a while you have to
compensate for a low D that's not available, but otherwise it sits
nicely. I had a bitch of a time adapting the same piece to 4 string
bass, though, had to drop the idea.

For the Air on a G string, I used someone elses fingerstyle
arrangement, Aside from on position shift to the 5th fret for a D7
chord, it was practically all in open position. As a matter of fact, I
did that one with a 13 year old student this morning, and she did
wonderfully. Best lesson I had in quite a while - thanks for reminding
me of it

But yeah, working through those sonatas and getting the slurs and
phrasing - sometimes just the notes, even...I believe there is NOTHING
on this earth that will get you really aquainted with the fingerboard
of the guitar than working them out from the score. And if there is a
particular part that is challenging your technique - extract it and
make an excercise out of it. I always believed that there were better
technical excercisesthat could be taken from real music than any
excercises anyone invents outside of a musical context...usually by
some guy looking to make a buck for someone who is...well, born every
minute, as they say.

Later,
D.