INFO NEEDED ON CAROLINE RECORDS ASAP!

Anil Prasad

Sep 25, 1992, 11:32:19 PM9/25/92
Can someone tell me what the status of Caroline records in NYC
is? Are they still a true independent or did a major label buy
up a huge chunk of them? I need this info for an article I'm
working on ASAP.

Please reply by e-mail right away if you have an answer for me.

Thanks,

Anil Prasad
wcs...@ccs.carleton.ca

Anil Prasad

Sep 25, 1992, 11:34:32 PM9/25/92

Lazlo Nibble

Sep 26, 1992, 2:59:25 AM9/26/92
wcs...@superior.carleton.ca (Anil Prasad) writes:

> Can someone tell me what the status of Caroline records in NYC is? Are
> they still a true independent or did a major label buy up a huge chunk
> of them?

Caroline has *never* been a "true" independent. Caroline, the distributor
that owns and runs the label of the same name, was founded as a wholly-
owned subsidiary of Virgin Records sometime in the early '80s. (That's why
all that Virgin UK Mike Oldfield back-catalogue -- among others -- is
turning up on Caroline in the States.) To top it off, Virgin was bought
earlier this year by Thorn-EMI, so I guess in a megacorporate-ladder sort
of way, SubPop's distribution is controlled by EMI, via Caroline, via Virgin.

There's a decent article on all this indie/not-indie stuff in the September
_Pulse._

--
Lazlo (la...@triton.unm.edu)