Anyone remember Composer Richard LaSalle?

Mark Koldys

Sep 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/4/98
In article <199809050143...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,
for...@aol.com (Fordat1) wrote:

> I was wondering if any of you remember this composer who mainly worked in
> Television in the 60's and 70's, he seemed to work for Irwin Allen when he
> couldn't afford Goldsmith or Williams.
>

> I also seem to recall a number of his scores seemed to be "Influenced" by Mr.
> Goldsmith's work.

Yes, and other scores were 'influenced' by Rozsa and Previn. How else did
Previn's theme for DEAD RINGERS find its way into LaSalle's score for the
tv-movie (Irwin Allen's) SWISS FAMILY ROBINSON?

The Mike Barnicle of film scoring.

"A long life is only extra time for more trouble" -- Charlie Chan

Fordat1

Sep 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/5/98
I was wondering if any of you remember this composer who mainly worked in
Television in the 60's and 70's, he seemed to work for Irwin Allen when he
couldn't afford Goldsmith or Williams.

I also seem to recall a number of his scores seemed to be "Influenced" by Mr.
Goldsmith's work.

Any thoughts or comments from the other members of the list.

Regards

Ford A. Thaxton

JMorgan643

Sep 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/5/98

> I was wondering if any of you remember this composer who mainly worked in
> Television in the 60's and 70's, he seemed to work for Irwin Allen when he
> couldn't afford Goldsmith or Williams.
>

> I also seem to recall a number of his scores seemed to be "Influenced" by Mr.
> Goldsmith's work.

Yes, and other scores were 'influenced' by Rozsa and Previn. How else did

Previn's theme for DEAD RINGERS find its way into LaSalle's score for the
tv-movie (Irwin Allen's) SWISS FAMILY ROBINSON?>>>>

Also, he practically did a note for note reuse of Korngold's SEA HAWK sword
filght music for a fight in SWISS FAMILY....

There was another Allen tv moive that LaSalle used Herrmann's JANE EYRE theme
throughout. I think it was called FIRE.

InstntGuts

Sep 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/5/98
<I also seem to recall a number of his [Richard LaSalle's] scores seemed to be

"Influenced" by Mr. Goldsmith's work.>

Ford,

I had a conversation with Doug Fake at Intrada a few weeks ago about LaSalle,
and he said that Andre Previn actually sued LaSalle over plagiarism -- and
Previn talked about it, in a brutally honest fashion, in several interviews.
LaSalle, apparently, literally didn't see any problem with ripping off other
composers -- his quote was something along the lines of "I like [fill in the
blank's] music... if you want me to quit being influenced by his music, then he
shouldn't have written it." It was absolutely shameless -- he essentially
admitted, in court, to basically being an re-orchestrator of other peoples'
music.

I remember the second-season opening of "Buck Rogers" had a theme that was
simply a slowed-down version of Goldsmith's "Star Trek:TMP," and thinking that
it was a blatant steal, as well as "Planet of the Apes" BG music in "Wonder
Woman."

Shameless and shameful. Whatever happened to the guy?

-- Jon A. Bell

Jeff Bond

Sep 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/5/98

LaSalle wrote an entire score for Buck Rogers (a prison escape episode
with Jamie Lee Curtis) that was an adaptation of Planet of the Apes; he
also made off with Apes music in the TV movie/pilot City Beneath the Sea
for Irwin Allen. His score for Allen's The Memory of Eva Ryker is
virtually all Rozsa material from Time After Time and other scores.

InstntGuts

Sep 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/6/98
<LaSalle wrote an entire score for Buck Rogers (a prison escape episode
with Jamie Lee Curtis) that was an adaptation of Planet of the Apes; he
also made off with Apes music in the TV movie/pilot City Beneath the Sea
for Irwin Allen. His score for Allen's The Memory of Eva Ryker is
virtually all Rozsa material from Time After Time and other scores.>

Jeff,

God, I remember that episode of Buck Rogers! (It had this weird sand
spider-thing in it.) I didn't realize he'd done City Beneath the Sea, though.

I'll have to ask Doug about that Previn interview; we were literally discussing
LaSalle about a week or so ago, and Doug said that Previn was apoplectic when
dealing in the courtroom with LaSalle and his admission of blatant thievery.

-- Jon

Fordat1

Sep 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/6/98
From: instn...@aol.com (InstntGuts)
Newsgroups: rec.music.movies
Date: 5 Sep 1998 14:39:26 GMT

<I also seem to recall a number of his [Richard LaSalle's] scores seemed to be
"Influenced" by Mr. Goldsmith's work.>

>Ford,

>I had a conversation with Doug Fake at Intrada a few weeks ago >about LaSalle,
and he said that Andre Previn actually sued LaSalle >over plagiarism -- and
Previn talked about it, in a brutally honest >fashion, in several interviews.

>LaSalle, apparently, literally didn't see any problem with ripping >off other
composers -- his quote was something along the lines >of "I like [fill in the
blank's] music... if you want me to quit being >influenced by his music, then
he shouldn't have written it." It was >absolutely shameless -- he essentially
admitted, in court, to >basically being an re-orchestrator of other peoples'
music.

>I remember the second-season opening of "Buck Rogers" had a >theme that was
simply a slowed-down version of Goldsmith's >"Star Trek:TMP," and thinking that
it was a blatant steal, as well >as "Planet of the Apes" BG music in "Wonder
Woman."

>Shameless and shameful. Whatever happened to the guy?

>-- Jon A. Bell

FYI,

As far as I can tell Richard LaSalle only scored one episode of "Buck Rogers in
the 25 Century Centuy" which was called "Unchained Woman" (aka "Escape from
Zeta" that had Jamie Lee Curtis as the guest star (and looking very lovely in
her space suit).
The show aired on Nov 1, 1979.

"Star Trek: The Motion Picture" opened on Dec 7th 1979 and the soundtrack album
was issued until later that month.

As far as I can tell he scored no episodes in the second season "Buck Rogers".

Ford A. Thaxton (for...@aol.com)

IntradaNet

Sep 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/9/98
In article <199809060207...@ladder03.news.aol.com>,
instn...@aol.com (InstntGuts) writes:

>I'll have to ask Doug about that Previn interview; we were literally
>discussing
>LaSalle about a week or so ago, and Doug said that Previn was apoplectic when
>dealing in the courtroom with LaSalle and his admission of blatant thievery.

I'm not sure about what really went on in the courtroom on this. I've heard
many stories. It seemed at one point to (maybe) be about BLOOD ON THE ARROW, a
western credited to Richard LaSalle. At the opening of the picture one will
hear both the unmistakable solo French horn passage and the frenzied orchestral
music from the beginning of Andre Previn's earlier BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK. Darn
near note for note!

It would appear LaSalle did have a thing for Previn's music.

-- Douglass Fake