What are the 7 Greatest Bands of all time?

Michael Silverman

Mar 9, 1992, 7:08:36 PM3/9/92
The new Spin magazine just came out. It was their 7th anniversary
special, and they had a feature on what they considered the
"Seven Greatest Bands of All Time." I don't have the magazine next
to me now, so I don't remember exactly what bands made it, though
I remember the Beatles, Rolling Stones, and Led Zeppelin making it,
as well as Public Enemy.

What I am curious about it what *you* think are the 7 greatest bands
of all time (and why, if you want to say). I haven't decided what my
opinion is, but if you have one, post to the net; I am curious what
you all think are the 7 greatest of all time!

Man on a Mission

Mar 9, 1992, 8:03:49 PM3/9/92
In article <cubsfan.700186116@camelot> cub...@camelot.bradley.edu (Michael Silverman) writes:
>The new Spin magazine just came out. It was their 7th anniversary
>special, and they had a feature on what they considered the
>"Seven Greatest Bands of All Time." I don't have the magazine next
>to me now, so I don't remember exactly what bands made it, though
>I remember the Beatles, Rolling Stones, and Led Zeppelin making it,
>as well as Public Enemy.

P.E.?? Really?? Wow. Amazing. Glad to see they have recognition (including
the nomination for the Grammy [personally i think they shoulda won])

>What I am curious about it what *you* think are the 7 greatest bands
>of all time (and why, if you want to say). I haven't decided what my
>opinion is, but if you have one, post to the net; I am curious what
>you all think are the 7 greatest of all time!

Sure... but it'll be hard to but a certain order to them.

In no particular order:

The Beatles
The Rolling Stones
Rush
Van Halen
Pink Floyd
Led Zeppelin
(TBA)

Competing for the last spot would be U2, Supertramp and Genesis, and possibly
other groups that don't seem to come to mind right now :-p

--
"Is there something wrong? she said, ,----------- Ron A. Echeverri
of course there is, Are you still alive? | BSAE 1994 Univ. of So. Cal.

Steven Silverstein

Mar 9, 1992, 8:02:17 PM3/9/92
Whoa! That's a tough one. I'll give it a shot, nonetheless:
(In no particular order):

1. The Who--A great rock band. Defined tradition. Blasted down boundaries.
Released a classic live album (Live at Leeds), and lots of other great stuff. A
bit of junk, but not too much. Great singles, albums, live shows.

2. The Beatles--Defined what rock 'n' roll was. Released Sgt. Pepper. Great
songs like "Norweigan Wood" and "Tomorrow Never Knows". White Album rocks hard.
Obvious choice.

3. James Brown--Invented funk, influenced rap and house, and lots more.
Released "Sex Machine", "Brand New Bag", etc.

4. Velvet Underground--Invented just about everything the 3 bands above didn't
that is worth listening to.

5. Neil Young--How many styles has he blasted out? The whole rock idiom with
Crazy Horse streched to extremes. All the folkier and countryish stuff. Plus,
he's going stronger than any of the above. And great songs like "Cinnamon Girl"
and "Powderfinger".

6. Richard Thompson--His work with Fairport Convention pioneered a genre. His
solo stuff has all been masterful. One of the few artists whose background is
decidedly British. Plus, again great songs like "Waltzing's for Dreamers", "The
Wall of Death", "Two Left Feet", and "Shoot Out the Lights". A virtuoso on
acoustic and electric, and still going strong.

7. Chuck Berry--The first and still among the best. Too many singles to even
try naming them all. The most influential of the pioneers. Covered by everyone
from the Grateful Dead to Living Colour to Jimi Hendrix.

-Steve

For whatever it is worth, there's a list. Some sort of list.

Steve M. Mansfield

Mar 9, 1992, 8:08:29 PM3/9/92
In article <cubsfan.700186116@camelot> cub...@camelot.bradley.edu (Michael Silverman) writes:
>What I am curious about it what *you* think are the 7 greatest bands
>of all time (and why, if you want to say). I haven't decided what my
>opinion is, but if you have one, post to the net; I am curious what
>you all think are the 7 greatest of all time!

Hmmmm, seven greatest. O.k. Bear in mind that I don't necessarily listen to
much from these groups, and go based on reputation on some.

1. Beatles - They got rock n roll as far as it is today.
2. Pink Floyd - They gave rock that, well, wierd side...
3. Led Zeppelin - Made hard rock/metal acceptable in the public eye.
4. ZZ Top - They keep the blues alive in rock.
5. Metallica - They made speed metal what it is.
6. Rush - Poetic hard rock.
7. Queensryche - A metal concept album. Who woulda thought?

Steve "Yoda Junior" Mansfield yo...@uunet.uu.net
Have we come too far to turn around? Does emotion hold the key?
Is logic just a synonym for this savagery,
disguised in forgotten lost memories? - Queensryche, NM 156

Mark McKinzie

Mar 9, 1992, 8:03:10 PM3/9/92

I ought to know better, but what-the-hell -- after a beer or two,
I'll follow up *any* ole thread.

In no particular order:

the seven best acts (solo or group) in the rock era:

1. Beatles (I hate them, but they did pave the way for
other fad bands like NKOTB, David Cassidy, and the Bee Gee's
during their pop-retro period).
2. Van Halen (I hate them, but they did pave the way for poseur
Californian glam/metal bands whose lead guitarist can do that
hammer-on thang).
3. Queen (I like their old stuff. They showed that MUSICIANS
can still have fun without doing covers of Louie, Louie).
4. Frank Zappa (Legend. AND he had fun, but *still* did covers
of Louie Louie. Also gave the world Jean Luc Ponty, Adrian
Belew, Vinnie Caliwhatshisname, Steve Vai, and [by association]
Joe Satriani).
5. Yngwie Malmsteen (I hate his recent stuff, but he did pave
the way for poseur California glam/metal bands whose lead
guitarist is too cool to do that hammer-on thang).
6. Joe Satriani (If Steve Vai didn't already provide the mystic
link to FZ and Adrian Belew, we'd all be out hunting for one).
7. James Brown (The Yngwie Malmsteen of the voice).

How could I forget: Elvis, Tom Jones, Diamanda Galas, Kate Bush,
Funkadelic, Black Sabbath, Rainbow, Otis Rush, Junior Wells, etc.......

Oh well, time for another beer . . .

Michael Silverman

Mar 9, 1992, 8:40:02 PM3/9/92
For what it is worth, I guess IMO the all-time 7 greatest bands
would be (in no particular order)

Led Zep - invented hard rock in a big way
Pink Floyd - Long lived, legendary, wierd, cool music
Rush - "Thinking mans' band" built off Led Zep base and took it their
own way
Beatles - Started it all
Police - No particular reason, I just really like them and their style
Neil Young & Crazy Horse - I like 'em; good "grungy" style of music.
Doors - IMO sort of epitomized the late 60's, and have lived on long
past Morrison's death.

Timothy C Webb

Mar 9, 1992, 9:04:53 PM3/9/92
In article <cubsfan.700186116@camelot> cub...@camelot.bradley.edu (Michael Silverman) writes:
>What I am curious about it what *you* think are the 7 greatest bands

THE SEVEN GREATEST BANDS OF ALL TIME:
(in order!)

1.YES. Yes has been my favorite band for at least the past 9-10 years (I'm
only 19 now) for so many reasons that I can't possibly go into them all here.
In a nutshell, they're unbelievable.

2.YES. They're so good, they're as good as two bands.

3.YES. Okay, maybe three.

4.KING CRIMSON. Many brilliant musicians have passed through this consistently
innovative band over the last 23-odd years, and there's more to come with a
new lineup soon.

5.WEATHER REPORT. Okay, so they're not a rock group, so what? Any album by this
band with Jaco on bass is nothing short of remarkable.

6.MARILLION (with Fish). No, I don't like the new guy (i'll get lots of hate
mail for that one!).

7.STEELY DAN?. Not sure about this one.

As I listen to mostly jazz, the top 4 bands listed (actually two, Yes and
King Crimson) are the only "rock" (I use this term extremely loosely) bands
I listen to on a regular basis.

Since I know almost all of you will disagree with this list, I await your
rebuttals!

Tim Webb
t...@kepler.unh.edu

"The challenge is to chase the sound just to break away" --YES

Tushar Saxena

Mar 9, 1992, 9:33:59 PM3/9/92
In article <cubsfan.700186116@camelot> cub...@camelot.bradley.edu (Michael Silverman) writes:
>I remember the Beatles, Rolling Stones, and Led Zeppelin making it,
>as well as Public Enemy.
>What I am curious about it what *you* think are the 7 greatest bands
>of all time (and why, if you want to say). I haven't decided what my

Here are my top 7 bands :

7] Steely Dan
6] Yes
5] Who
4] U2
3] Doors
2] Jethro Tull
1] Led Zeppelin
Top] Pink Floyd

Michael C. Decavalcante

Mar 9, 1992, 10:06:50 PM3/9/92
1. The Beatles
2. Led Zeppelin
3. Rolling Stones
4. Eric Clapton (solo & group efforts)
5. Jimi Hendrix
6. Pink Floyd
7. The Who

There Is No Excuse

Mar 9, 1992, 9:28:00 PM3/9/92
>In article <cubsfan.700186116@camelot> cub...@camelot.bradley.edu (Michael Silverman) writes:
>>What I am curious about it what *you* think are the 7 greatest bands

Well, I don't know about the Seven GREATEST bands of all time (how can anyone
make such an objective list on such a subjective topic?), but here are IMHO the
seven greatest of my time (in other words my seven fave):

1: COCTEAU TWINS-Although not a very well-known group, once you've heard them,
you're hooked for life. They're a UK based group playing off the 4AD
label. Without a doubt the most beautiful, haunting music I've ever
heard in my life.

2: JANE'S ADDICTION-Perry Farrel. Need I say more?

3: SIOUXSIE & THE BANSHEES-Hey, any woman as old as my mother and still as
beautiful and active as she is....

4: MINISTRY-Just say "Thieves".

5: BAUHAUS-Without a doubt. This is some of the greatest music I've heard to
date. Terrifying at times ("Bela Lugosi Is Dead"), sad at others
("Marlene Dietrich's Favorite Poem"), Peter Murphy is enough to just
reach out and wrench my heart from my bosom.

6: GENESIS-Just because they've been around so long and still manage to come
up with some decent stuff.

7: DIAMANDA GALAS-Strange. Pure strange. Nothing more needs to be said.

Oh, boy. I can already hear the cries of "WHAT?!?! No Rush, no Eagles, no Led
Zeppelin, and no Queen?!?! KILL THE HEATHEN!!!!"

John D. Burke, Texas A&M University | "And your city lies in dust my friend."
JDB...@tamu.edu | -Siouxsie and the Banshees

Ryan H Osborn

Mar 9, 1992, 10:13:45 PM3/9/92

Top 7 Greatest Bands of all time
--------------------------------
1. Ozzy Osbourne
2. Black Sabbath
3. Aerosmith
4. David Lee Roth (hey, I think he's great solo!)
5. Yes
6. Pink Floyd
7. The Salvation Army Band (We Three Kings, Jingle Bells) =)

* ros...@en.ecn.purdue.edu * Today was tomorrow yesterday. *

Jason M. Roth

Mar 9, 1992, 10:57:54 PM3/9/92
Hmmm... can't possibly resist. Here goes:

1. Beatles. Say no more

2. Buddy Holly and the Crickets. What they couldn't invent before The
Day, the Beatles did.

3. Chuck Berry. "Rock 'n' Roll Music."

4. The Who. United blues, hard rock, and opera -- in studio and on
stage, amazing.

5. Jimi Hendrix (Experience). Took guitar places no one knew existed.

6. Led Zeppelin. Maybe not as creative as the Beatles, but at least as
influential.

7. Velvet Underground. Influenced everyone too hip for the other 6.

Note: These aren't actually my favorite 7, but, try as I might, I
couldn't see putting in Tull.

JMR
HSK

Valerie Hall

Mar 9, 1992, 11:29:05 PM3/9/92
GREATEST bands of all time?..

1. Van Halen
2. Elvis
3. Led Zeppelin
4. AeroSmith
5. ZZTop
6. Prince Revolution\NewPowerGeneration\Family of prodige bands
7. David Lee Roth

-=FOXY LADY=-

Tigger

Mar 9, 1992, 11:54:01 PM3/9/92
In article <cubsfan.700186116@camelot>, cub...@camelot.bradley.edu (Michael Silverman) writes:

> What I am curious about it what *you* think are the 7 greatest bands
> of all time (and why, if you want to say). I haven't decided what my
> opinion is, but if you have one, post to the net; I am curious what
> you all think are the 7 greatest of all time!

I guest it depends upon how you define "greatest." I take it to mean
"best musicians as a unit", as opposed to "most influential" or "my
favorite". Otherwise my list would look a bit different. Oh, and I
also take it not to include individual musicians, unless they were part
of a solid band for a reasonable amount of time.

Now, in semi-chronological order:

Cream
Deep Purple
Yes

Neil Young & Crazy Horse

Rush
Motorhead
The Police

| Greg Orman gr...@pomona.claremont.edu |
| Fall not in love, for it will stick to your face. |

james j mendola

Mar 10, 1992, 1:15:54 AM3/10/92

>as well as Public Enemy.
>
>What I am curious about it what *you* think are the 7 greatest bands
>of all time (and why, if you want to say). I haven't decided what my
>opinion is, but if you have one, post to the net; I am curious what
>you all think are the 7 greatest of all time!

Besides the bands you've mentioned, the Sex Pistols and the Jimi Hendrix
Experience were two others that I recall.

My favorites...

1) The Beatles. Need I say more.
2) Queen. Up until around 1980 they were making some of the most diverse,
most incredible music. Their opera-like vocals, Brian May's
double-tracked guitars. Perfection.
3) Pixies. The group of our time. I don't know what to say about them.
Once you like 'em, you love 'em... You live 'em.
4) Jane's Addiction. You don't know a good thing till it's gone. Perry
Farrell is a musical and lyrical genius.
5) The Police. Intelligent rock. They created the best music to come out
of the late 70s and early to mid 80s.
6) The Jimi Hendrix Experience. Another group that had to end before it
really got started. Only a few albums, but they are enough to
realize the greatness that should have been.
7) The Who. I didn't think they'd make my top seven, but after thinking
of the tunes they have given us...

JiM

Rich Kulawiec

Mar 10, 1992, 12:03:55 AM3/10/92
In article <cubsfan.700186116@camelot> cub...@camelot.bradley.edu (Michael Silverman) writes:
>What I am curious about it what *you* think are the 7 greatest bands
>of all time (and why, if you want to say). I haven't decided what my
>opinion is, but if you have one, post to the net; I am curious what
>you all think are the 7 greatest of all time!

The answer to this question would be meaningless without defining the
criteria for "great", so I'll do that first. To be "great", a band
must have significantly affected the course of music; except for the
most extraordinary cases, it must have a long history; it must have
released at least one, and preferably several, influential and critically
significant albums; and it should have enjoyed enduring popularity.

I'll limit my answer to the rock and roll era. Here's my list (in no
particular order):

The Beatles
Bob Dylan
The Rolling Stones
Chuck Berry
The Grateful Dead
Led Zeppelin
Jimi Hendrix

--

---Rsk
r...@gynko.circ.upenn.edu

Garry Young

Mar 10, 1992, 12:59:15 AM3/10/92
I assume "greatest" means "favorite" and stick strictly to bands:

1. Jane's Addiction
2. The Clash
3. Grateful Dead
4. Bob Marley and the Wailers
5. Black Flag
6. Public Enemy
7. Led Zeppelin

But what about solos?: Billie Holiday, Elvis Costello, Bob Dylan...
"I believe in this and it's been proven by research,
that he who fucks nuns will later join the church."
- The Clash

M. COOPER / B. McQUAID

Mar 10, 1992, 1:45:02 AM3/10/92
In article <val.700201745@marsh> v...@marsh.cs.curtin.edu.au (Valerie Hall) writes:
>GREATEST bands of all time?..
>
>1. Van Halen

NOT.

>2. Elvis

NOT.

>3. Led Zeppelin

NOT.

>4. AeroSmith

NOT.

>5. ZZTop

NOT.

>6. Prince Revolution\NewPowerGeneration\Family of prodige bands

NOT.

>7. David Lee Roth

NOT.

>-=FOXY LADY=-

MAYBE.

The real list:

1) Cocteau Twins
2) My Bloody Valentine
3) Slowdive
4) The Church
5) Depeche Mode
6) Talk Talk
7) Sonic Youth

- MILO D. COOPER '92
Negro Extraordinaire
--
/-----------------This message brought to you by: ------------------\
| BRAD McQUAID: Programmer. | MILO D. COOPER: Graphics artist. |

Jacques Blanc-Talon

Mar 10, 1992, 2:17:36 AM3/10/92
No, guys, be a bit serious ! 7 is too short to decide
wether or not a band is or not *really* important. Who
changed the world of music ? Surely, the following:

1) Rolling stones - 'cause they are still touring, and
making some fuss

2) Pink Floyd - because they introduced the concept of
intellectual music

3) Beatles - 'cause for a lot, THEY are the rock-n-roll
(but I hate them)

Then, it depends on which point of view you consider the
question.

4) Deep Purple - they introduced the Hard Rock
Led Zeppelin is weaker, but well-known.

What point of you ? Money ? So:

5) Genesis - they are unique, old, they discovered something
and they earn a lot of money

6) Michael Jackson - I think he's really boring (except
for the videos), but don't forget: he bought the Beatles
copyrights !!

7) The doors - because even today, they are mystic -

So, that's all; I'd appreciate to place Bowie somewhere,
Iron Maiden, Tangerine Dream, Kraftwerk (they discovered
the techno-pop, all you can listen on radio today)
but there's no place for them. This is not my preference
order, but I think it's better like this.

Achille Smokonzewator
*

Laura R Drogula

Mar 10, 1992, 2:24:02 AM3/10/92
In article <1992Mar10.0...@nic.unh.edu> t...@kepler.unh.edu (Timothy C Webb) writes:

>7.STEELY DAN?. Not sure about this one.

I would agree with you here. They are one of my favorite bands,
too. What is cool about them is that they built a decent following
and they never even toured! Also - I can't think of any two of
their songs that are carbon copies of each other . . . I could
listen to all of their albums back-to-back without getting bored.

> Since I know almost all of you will disagree with this list, I await your
> rebuttals!

Not in this case!

Laura

--
"Man forgives Woman anything save Laura R. Drogula
the wit to outwit him." dro...@galaxy.cps.msu.edu

Jason M. Roth

Mar 10, 1992, 4:36:21 AM3/10/92
>1: COCTEAU TWINS-Although not a very well-known group, once you've
heard them,
> you're hooked for life.

Nope.

>2: JANE'S ADDICTION-Perry Farrel. Need I say more?

Uhhmm...Yeah. I mean, I like 'em and all, but Perry's not the whole deal.

To each his own.

JMR
HSK

PS And I resent the implication that I worship the Eagles and Rush.

andrew.j.whitman

Mar 10, 1992, 9:38:48 AM3/10/92
In article <1992Mar10.0...@nic.unh.edu> t...@kepler.unh.edu (Timothy C Webb) writes:
>In article <cubsfan.700186116@camelot> cub...@camelot.bradley.edu (Michael Silverman) writes:
>>What I am curious about it what *you* think are the 7 greatest bands

>THE SEVEN GREATEST BANDS OF ALL TIME:
>(in order!)
>
>1.YES. Yes has been my favorite band for at least the past 9-10 years (I'm
> only 19 now) for so many reasons that I can't possibly go into them all here.

But they're already well documented.

> In a nutshell, they're unbelievable.
>
>2.YES. They're so good, they're as good as two bands.
>
>3.YES. Okay, maybe three.

Correct. Out of all the responses to this thread, Tim's is the only one
that comes close to the Objectively Proven Greatest Seven Bands List. Yes
does indeed occupy the top three spots on that list. However, Rush, not
King Crimson (which still finishes a respectable sixth on the Objectively
Proven Greatest Technical Bands List), actually occupies the fourth position.

>4.KING CRIMSON. Many brilliant musicians have passed through this consistently
> innovative band over the last 23-odd years, and there's more to come with a
> new lineup soon.
>
>5.WEATHER REPORT. Okay, so they're not a rock group, so what? Any album by this
> band with Jaco on bass is nothing short of remarkable.

Not on the list. I can't prove it objectively, of course, because the
official list only covers seven bands, but my guess is that they'd
finish somewhere around eighteenth or nineteenth. Jaco and Joe Zawinul
are, of course, giants in the music world, but Wayne Shorter loses
some prestige and credibility for hanging out with Steely Dan.

>6.MARILLION (with Fish). No, I don't like the new guy (i'll get lots of hate
> mail for that one!).

Is this a typo? I think you mean Country Joe and The Fish, right?

>7.STEELY DAN?. Not sure about this one.

No, no, no! As has been made abundantly clear here recently, this
band is poison (or poisson, in Quebec). Stay away from them. Sure,
I understand the allure, but let me caution you to be careful.
Before you know it, you could end up with a whole ETHIC, man. You
can't be too careful.

> Since I know almost all of you will disagree with this list, I await your
> rebuttals!

Not from me. A few minor errors, but overall a nice, factual list.

> Tim Webb
> t...@kepler.unh.edu
> "The challenge is to chase the sound just to break away" --YES

Andy Whitman
AT&T Bell Laboratories, Columbus, Ohio
att!cblpo!ajw or
a...@cblpo.att.com

Phillip R. Scarr

Mar 10, 1992, 9:06:08 AM3/10/92
In article <cubsfan.700186116@camelot> cub...@camelot.bradley.edu (Michael Silverman) writes:
>The new Spin magazine just came out. It was their 7th anniversary
>special, and they had a feature on what they considered the
>"Seven Greatest Bands of All Time." I don't have the magazine next
>to me now, so I don't remember exactly what bands made it, though
>I remember the Beatles, Rolling Stones, and Led Zeppelin making it,
>as well as Public Enemy.

In no particular order:

Modern Jazz Quartet
Beatles
The Who
Public Enemy
Louis Armstrong and the Hot Fives
The lineup on Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue" which included John Coltrane,
Phily Joe Jones, among others
The lineup from Paul Simon's Graceland album

Chew on THAT for awhile!

RYAN ORLANDO

Mar 10, 1992, 8:14:59 AM3/10/92
It's hard to limit it to only 7. Why not a round number like ten.

Oh well, here it goes...

7. Pink Floyd

6.Iron Maiden

5. Led Zeppelin

4. Jethro Tull

3. Metallica

2.Beatles
And my number one group is.....
And my number one g

Rush
reason- most influential to me....

Lee Fogel

Mar 10, 1992, 10:30:32 AM3/10/92

In no particular order:

Velvet Underground - The most genuine street poetry garage band.
Kraftwerk - Synthesizer & mechanical rhythm groundbreakers.
Sex Pistols - Because rock needs adolescent anger and rebellion.
Hendrix - For instrumental virtuosity that goes beyond mere technique.
The Plasmatics - For symbolizing the extreme of pure showmanship and
female sexuality in rock.
Pink Floyd - Mind expansion and psychological exploration.
Elvis or The Beatles - Established rock as a major cultural force.

Lee

John Michael Santore

Mar 10, 1992, 10:54:42 AM3/10/92
Hmmm... why top *SEVEN* bands instead of ten?
Another thing, it seems that everyone tends to chooses all their bands
from one category(i.e. alternative, classic rock, etc)

Well whatever.
In my opinion, the 7 greatest bands of all time (judged by MY perception
of musicality (not necessarily my favorite bands, either)

1) The Beatles: They started it all. PERIOD. I personally don't care
too much for the newer Beatles stuff (and I *HATE* the White Album), but
I don't believe anyone can dispute the fact that they influenced the
music industry in a MASSIVE way (I'm not talking in a commercial,
business sense, but they did that too)

2) Led Zeppelin: Granted, they may not have been the FIRST hard rock
band, but they certainly were the driving force of hard rock in the
70's. I'd say that there are very few bands today that are not somewhat
influenced by Led Zeppelin (if even to try NOT to sound like them).

3) Yes: The pinnacle of progressive art rock. These guys mastered what
they set out to do. Not only were they diverse in their musical
approach, but they added so much to the generic rock genre. From Close
to the Edge and Fragile, to Tales, Relayer, and Drama, they masterfully
created a new unique sound which centered on overall technical ability,
as well as creativity.

4) The Chick Corea Band: be it the Elektric Band, Akoustic Band, Return
to Forever, or any other permutation. These guys are awesome. Right
now I'm specifically focusing on the Elektric/Akoustic bands, and they
kick serious ass. With Patitucci on bass, Dave Weckl Jr. on drums, and
Chick Corea himself on keys, they form an incredible collection of pure
ability. Anyone who fails to recognize the dominance of all 3 of these
guys in the field of their specifc instrument doesn't know a whole lot
about it.

5) Rush: (couldn't leave my favorite band out, now could I :) ) Rush
has a experimental approach to music, much as Yes did, however Rush
changed more drastically, and changed more completely. Again, each is a
virtuoso in his instrument, and Neil Peart's lyrics are as meaningful as
any poet. They added depth to the progressive hard rock genre.

6) King Crimson: the other side of progressive art rock. While Rush
added depth and feel, King Crimson, expanded technically. Listen to
Discipline or theit later stuff. The rhythms are extremely complicated
and very well executed in a technical sense.

7) Eric Clapton and permutations: Clapton, in my opinion, has added
feel to music. From his older days with Cream or Derek and the Dominoes
to now, he still maintains a mood, a feel, better than so many other
musicians.

I would appreciate comments on my list(provided they are suitably backed
by some argument), whether you agree or not. Flames, however will not
be tolerated.

-John Santore

================================================="We break the surface
tension with our wild kinetic dreams"
-Rush, Grand Designs

Go Philadelphia Flyers !
Rush--Yes--Marillion--King Crimson--Emerson, Lake and Palmer
John Santore (js...@andrew.cmu.edu)

David A. Pearlman

Mar 10, 1992, 10:24:33 AM3/10/92
OK. I was thinking about this a lot, and I looked at the stack of records
that I have listened to more than once, and the stack that my mom bought
me a while ago and I have come up with what is probably the most objective
list of the greatest 7 bands of all time.

1) Motley Crue
They did it all. Videos. Music. Even those cool dots in their name
before all the other groups started doing it. And they weren't
afraid to wear makeup on stage. I think they were the first for that.
Oh, and that song they wrote, Smoking With the Boys Groom, is really
totally classic. I think they still pay it on KBURN (102.4).

2) The Doors
I never really listened to any of their music, but I thought the Doors
movie was amazingly cool. And that chick from When Harry Meant Sally
was in it and she took off her top. God, I can't believe the Doors
could get someone to do that. Oh, and someone in gym class told me
that they were named after something that famous author, um,
Alan Alda Huxley (sp?) wrote.

3) Jon Bon Jovi
Lots of hits. Hung out with Cher when she didn't have
any hits. Sings Levon REAL good. From New Jersey and has played with
Bruce Springsteen to help that guy's career. Need I say more?

4) Right Said Fred
Sometimes you just know when someone is going to be around a long time.
I really liked their song Let's Talk About Sex. Or was that them?
Anyway, I know I heard a song by them that was in Power Hit Rotation
on KBZZZ (92.7) and when I heard it you could tell that these guys
might be as big as the Beatles and Hermans Hermits were in the really
old days. These guys are not like guys like New Kids on the Block,
who used to be pretty good, but now they just make music so that people
will like it. Does anyone want to start a Right Said Fred mailing list?

5) The Greatful Dead
My brother's girlfriend took me and Paul to see these guys last summer.
It was really amazing. There were these weird sixties like people
everywhere and stuff. And this one girl came over and danced with me
and we talked about trains and how when you work on the car sometimes you
get that black stuff under your nails and you can't get it off. She
was a kind of intelectul person, the kind of person who takes math
in school and stuff. But that was really cool. And then we got drunk
and passed out.

6) Van Halen
They were, like, the starters of hard rock. When no one else was playing
anything, they started to play Running With the Devil and Pretty Woman
and stuff. Eddie Van Halen is an amazing guitar god. I hear that he
designed most of his guitars himself and sold the designs and now that's
what everyone plays. David Lee Roth was amazing too. And Sammy Hagar
is also amazing. Plus that other guy that hangs from a rope and plays
while he is drinking Jack Daniels is really amazing. I heard that is
how he really plays on the albums. Oh and that other guy who plays the
drums. Listen to Wipeout. A friend told me he wrote that and he's
amazing.

7) Queen
I remember hearing We Will Rock You at a hocky game and I thought it was
really cool. And then they used that other song by them. I forget the
name, but it's really long and sounds weird and everything. Anyway, they
used it in Wayne's World, which I thought was an excellent choice. So
I figured that if they do both of these songs they must be pretty good.
So I bought Toys in the Attick. But it doesn't sound anything like them.
Wait, that's because it's not them. Anyway, I also got an album by them
and it was pretty ok, but not as choice as We Will Rock You. But then
that one guy in the band died and I thought it was really cool that he
lived his life and was able to sing songs like We Will Rock You that
they still play today. I think they were ahead of their time. And THEN
I found out they also sang Another One Bites the Dust, which is one
of the classics from the beginning of rock. So what else can you say
but classic?

Other groups I would include on my list if I had time would be
Arrowsmith, Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch, Extreme (cool video), and
Vixen (bitchin babes).

I don't know if this list is the same as yours, but if you are ever
in town check out WHTZ (96.5) because they rule and play really good
songs!

Fred

....... ....... ....... .......
....... .. ... .. .. ..
.... ....... ....... .. .. rockin hit machine guy
.... .. . .. .. ..
.... .. ... ....... .......

Mike Stok

Mar 10, 1992, 10:34:22 AM3/10/92
In article <cubsfan.700186116@camelot> cub...@camelot.bradley.edu (Michael Silverman) writes:
>What I am curious about it what *you* think are the 7 greatest bands
>of all time (and why, if you want to say). I haven't decided what my
>opinion is, but if you have one, post to the net; I am curious what
>you all think are the 7 greatest of all time!

1) Genesis
2) King Crimson
3) Bill Bruford's Earthworks
5) Yes
4) Weather Report
6) Talking Heads
7) Frank Zappa (any incarnation which is rock/pop)

--

The "usual disclaimers" apply. | ... many were weak and confused, succumbing
Mike Stok | to drink or drugs whenever possible ...

John Howells

Mar 10, 1992, 11:29:52 AM3/10/92
cub...@camelot.bradley.edu (Michael Silverman) writes:

<The new Spin magazine just came out. It was their 7th anniversary
<special, and they had a feature on what they considered the
<"Seven Greatest Bands of All Time." I don't have the magazine next
<to me now, so I don't remember exactly what bands made it, though
<I remember the Beatles, Rolling Stones, and Led Zeppelin making it,
<as well as Public Enemy.

<What I am curious about it what *you* think are the 7 greatest bands

<of all time (and why, if you want to say). I haven't decided what my
<opinion is, but if you have one, post to the net; I am curious what
<you all think are the 7 greatest of all time!

Jumping in here...

1) Velvet Underground

2) The Beatles

3) The Band

4) Elvis Costello and the Attractions

5) The Who

6) The Kinks

7) Madness

--
John Howells
how...@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov

Steven A Bohman

Mar 10, 1992, 1:19:32 PM3/10/92
I can't resist...........

Poison
Warrant
Slaughter
White Lion
SteelHeart
Mr. Big
Trixter

NOT! NOT! NOT! NOT! NOT!
--
Steven A. Bohman Don't Go Away Mad,
sbo...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu Just Go Away!

Kevin McRae

Mar 10, 1992, 12:15:50 PM3/10/92
In article <cubsfan.700186116@camelot>, cub...@camelot.bradley.edu (Michael Silverman) writes:
> ... but if you have one, post to the net; I am curious what

> you all think are the 7 greatest of all time!
IMHO (in no particular order):

The Beatles
April Wine
Pink Floyd
Led Zeppelin
The Rolling Stones
Rush (please don't flame me! :>
AC/DC

kevin

"What kind of man are you?!?"
"A man who respects a good coma." - Jerry Seinfeld

A Son of the Silent Age

Mar 10, 1992, 1:21:20 PM3/10/92
Sans fanfare:
Husker Du
XTC
The Cure
The Soft Boys
R.E.M.
The Sisters Of Mercy
Pixies

I don't know quite enough Wire to include them. There's plenty more artists
(David Bowie, Robyn Hitchcock, Peter Gabriel, etc.), but they're not BANDS.

doug

Timothy C Webb

Mar 10, 1992, 1:56:08 PM3/10/92
In article <1992Mar10.0...@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> dro...@pacific.cps.msu.edu (Laura R Drogula) writes:
>In article <1992Mar10.0...@nic.unh.edu> t...@kepler.unh.edu (Timothy C Webb) writes:
>>
>>7.STEELY DAN?. Not sure about this one.
>
>I would agree with you here. They are one of my favorite bands,
>too. What is cool about them is that they built a decent following
>and they never even toured! Also - I can't think of any two of
>
>Laura

Actually, they did tour once (maybe more, but I doubt it) and I happen to have
a recording of a show they did in London in (I think) 1975.

Tim
t...@kepler.unh.edu

Victor Kan

Mar 10, 1992, 7:58:26 AM3/10/92

In no particular order:

Yes
The Band
Cream
The Who (actually, mainly Pete)
Queen
Jefferson Airplane
The Jimi Hendrix Experience
--
| Victor Kan | Internet: k...@dg-rtp.dg.com | ***
| Data General Corporation | Usenet: mcnc!rti!dg-rtp!kan | ****
| 62 T.W. Alexander Drive | _* <- Yes, it's a 14oz. V-1 Pro! | **** %%%%
| RTP, NC 27709 | _OvO__ "Only Nixon could go to China." | *** %%%

andrew.j.whitman

Mar 10, 1992, 2:37:43 PM3/10/92
In article <1992Mar10.1...@predator.vpharm.com> d...@predator.vpharm.com (Fred) writes:
>OK. I was thinking about this a lot, and I looked at the stack of records
>that I have listened to more than once, and the stack that my mom bought
>me a while ago and I have come up with what is probably the most objective
>list of the greatest 7 bands of all time.

Not even close. My list is a lot more objective than yours.

>1) Motley Crue
> They did it all. Videos. Music. Even those cool dots in their name
> before all the other groups started doing it. And they weren't
> afraid to wear makeup on stage. I think they were the first for that.
> Oh, and that song they wrote, Smoking With the Boys Groom, is really
> totally classic. I think they still pay it on KBURN (102.4).

What a joke!!!!!!!!!!!!! For your information, the cool dots are
called colins (sp?), and come from Swedish or Finnish or some other
kind of Norwegian language. So it's not just used in bands' names.
Ever hear of deja vu? The "u" there has the colin over it, and
that term goes back to Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young days and is
a lot older than Motley Crue. They also were *not* the first to
wear makeup on stage. Remember KISS, or was that before your time?
And you got the song name wrong, too, Mr. Crtiic. It's "Smokin'
in the Buoy Shroom," which I think was one of the first songs to
talk about drugs. This was, what, '78 or '79, right?

>2) The Doors
> I never really listened to any of their music, but I thought the Doors
> movie was amazingly cool. And that chick from When Harry Meant Sally
> was in it and she took off her top. God, I can't believe the Doors
> could get someone to do that. Oh, and someone in gym class told me
> that they were named after something that famous author, um,
> Alan Alda Huxley (sp?) wrote.

Do you mean Aldo Nova? Aldo Ray? What *are* you talking about?
That scene with Kim (sp?) Basinger *was* really hot, though.

>3) Jon Bon Jovi
> Lots of hits. Hung out with Cher when she didn't have
> any hits. Sings Levon REAL good. From New Jersey and has played with
> Bruce Springsteen to help that guy's career. Need I say more?

Lots of people hung out with Cher when she didn't have any hits,
including Gene Simmons. I don't see KISS anywhere on your list,
though. And geez, if you think Bon Jovi sings "Levon" really
good, you're going to throw away all those records your mama
gave you once you hear The Band sing it. Robert Robinson is
an amazing, classic guitarist too.

>4) Right Said Fred
> Sometimes you just know when someone is going to be around a long time.
> I really liked their song Let's Talk About Sex. Or was that them?
> Anyway, I know I heard a song by them that was in Power Hit Rotation
> on KBZZZ (92.7) and when I heard it you could tell that these guys
> might be as big as the Beatles and Hermans Hermits were in the really
> old days. These guys are not like guys like New Kids on the Block,
> who used to be pretty good, but now they just make music so that people
> will like it. Does anyone want to start a Right Said Fred mailing list?

I agree with you on this one. But I think the song is "I Want Your
Sex." It's great anyway, isn't it? Let me know if someone starts
a mailing list.

>5) The Greatful Dead
> My brother's girlfriend took me and Paul to see these guys last summer.
> It was really amazing. There were these weird sixties like people
> everywhere and stuff. And this one girl came over and danced with me
> and we talked about trains and how when you work on the car sometimes you
> get that black stuff under your nails and you can't get it off. She
> was a kind of intelectul person, the kind of person who takes math
> in school and stuff. But that was really cool. And then we got drunk
> and passed out.

Wow, that was my sister!!!!! No kidding. She really loves that Gerry
Gracias guy. The reason I know is because she went to see The Dead
(that's what fans of the band call them, you know ;-) ;-) ;-)) last
summer and she also takes math. I hate that stuff that gets under
your nails, too. Did you happen to notice her pupils? Still, that's
cool, you know. Peace and love. Man, you gotta love people who
really understand what the sixties were all about.

>6) Van Halen
> They were, like, the starters of hard rock. When no one else was playing
> anything, they started to play Running With the Devil and Pretty Woman
> and stuff. Eddie Van Halen is an amazing guitar god. I hear that he
> designed most of his guitars himself and sold the designs and now that's
> what everyone plays. David Lee Roth was amazing too. And Sammy Hagar
> is also amazing. Plus that other guy that hangs from a rope and plays
> while he is drinking Jack Daniels is really amazing. I heard that is
> how he really plays on the albums. Oh and that other guy who plays the
> drums. Listen to Wipeout. A friend told me he wrote that and he's
> amazing.

First, Led Zeppelin were the starters of hard rock, especially on
the "Led Zeppelin IV (Soso)" album. This was back in the late
seventies before Van Halen was making records. Roger Plant will
always be #1 in my book, but you're right, Edward (as I like to
call him) is a guitar god. Did you know that he is married to
Valerie Harper, that bitchin' babe from "The Mary Tyler Moore
Show"?

>7) Queen
> I remember hearing We Will Rock You at a hocky game and I thought it was
> really cool. And then they used that other song by them. I forget the
> name, but it's really long and sounds weird and everything. Anyway, they
> used it in Wayne's World, which I thought was an excellent choice. So
> I figured that if they do both of these songs they must be pretty good.
> So I bought Toys in the Attick. But it doesn't sound anything like them.
> Wait, that's because it's not them. Anyway, I also got an album by them
> and it was pretty ok, but not as choice as We Will Rock You. But then
> that one guy in the band died and I thought it was really cool that he
> lived his life and was able to sing songs like We Will Rock You that
> they still play today. I think they were ahead of their time. And THEN
> I found out they also sang Another One Bites the Dust, which is one
> of the classics from the beginning of rock. So what else can you say
> but classic?

The guy's name was Fred, Fred. As in Freddie Merckury. The man was
a genus. And yes, its totally cool that he lived his life and sang
songs like We Will Rock You. The song in Wayne's World is called
Bavarian Rapsody, and it was written when Queen was playing the
Oktoberfest in Munich back in the early eighties. You're right
though - Queen were and are ahead of their time, except for Freddie,
where time is catching up. Definitely classic.

>Other groups I would include on my list if I had time would be
>Arrowsmith, Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch, Extreme (cool video), and
>Vixen (bitchin babes).

That should be Airosmith.

>I don't know if this list is the same as yours, but if you are ever
>in town check out WHTZ (96.5) because they rule and play really good
>songs!

I will!!!!! Which town are you in?

>Fred
>
>....... ....... ....... .......
>....... .. ... .. .. ..
>.... ....... ....... .. .. rockin hit machine guy
>.... .. . .. .. ..
>.... .. ... ....... .......

Colin Kanswer
18603...@metal.psu.edu

Jeff Neau

Mar 10, 1992, 1:47:34 PM3/10/92
I assume since this newsgroup is alt.rock-n-roll, that we mean the 7 greatest
rock-n-roll bands of all time. So based on that, here they are:

Beatles

AC/DC

Led Zeppelin

Cream

Steve Miller Band

Creedence Clearwater Revival

The Eagles

In a close eighth is Spinal Tap...

Jeffrey Neau
(je...@cray.com)

d_co...@fennel.cc.uwa.oz.au

Mar 10, 1992, 2:55:34 PM3/10/92

These are the 7 greatest bands of all time. I DO NOT want to hear any arguments.

1. Prince - probably not of the human race. Too much talent.

2. Motorhead - because if I didn't put them at least second Lemmy would
probably write a song about me.

3. MetallicA - Creeping Death say no more.

4. Cycle Sluts From Hell - they wished I was a beer and I'm nearly there.

5. Judas Priest - the best vocalist on the planet.

6. The Cure - can't wait to see them live

7. The Sex Pistols - only band who have thrown up more than me.

Eat them apples.

DEANO...

Joel Stitzel (Med)

Mar 10, 1992, 3:34:18 PM3/10/92
Seven GREATEST or seven FAVORITEST?

Well, in terms of influence on the world of popular music as we know it, these
are my picks, in chronological order:

Beach Boys
Beatles
Rolling Stones
Kinks
Velvet Underground
Sly & the Family Stone
Wire

I think these folks were all true originals in concept or execution, as opposed
to later groups taking aspects of these groundbreakers to extremes. One can
chart strings of musical influence from these precursors (e.g. other influentialbands like the Move (Beatles + Kinks + Beach Boys), or Big Star (Beatles + Kinks+ Velvet Underground), etc.) One could argue that (the Stones-influenced) Led
Zeppelin should fit in there somewhere, but IMHO their influence has been far
more negative than positive ;-).

Seven favoritest (biggest influence on ME)? (again chronologically)

Beach Boys
Kinks
Left Banke
Zombies
Big Star
Wire
XTC

Seven is a tough number to limit one's lists to...

Joey

srf...@zeus.tamu.edu

Mar 10, 1992, 2:53:00 PM3/10/92
In article <1992Mar10.1...@cbnews.cb.att.com>, a...@cbnews.cb.att.com (andrew.j.whitman) writes...

<
<What a joke!!!!!!!!!!!!! For your information, the cool dots are
<called colins (sp?), and come from Swedish or Finnish or some other
<kind of Norwegian language. So it's not just used in bands' names.
<Ever hear of deja vu? The "u" there has the colin over it, and
<that term goes back to Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young days and is
<a lot older than Motley Crue.

NO, they are not called "colins" (which BTW is spelled "colon"). It is
called an "umlaut", and is used in German spelling over some vowels. Also,
"deja vu" does not use the umlaut, except in phonetic spelling, according
to Webster's.

\ Steven Fennell - Graduate Student \ "She asked for my love, and I gave \
\ srf...@zeus.tamu.edu - Texas A&M \ her a dangerous mind." - D. Bowie \

jose ortiz

Mar 10, 1992, 3:46:31 PM3/10/92
Here we go, the top 7 acts of all time

7) The Beatles - The greatest.
6) The Police - Wow! My favorite band of all time.
5) Debbie Gibson - She's so talented! She's so young! She's so bland! (Well, the video for 'Everything is possible' is kind of racy, though.)
4) Richard Marx - He's got the hair right, and I don't know about you, but he sent me and my entire dorm personalized letters along with a brand new copy of his single "Keep coming back." Needless to say, I was on cloud 9.
3) Paula Abdul - Forever my girl
2) Baltimora - Who could forget 'Tarzan Boy'?
1) Menudo - 'Nuf sed.

J. Ortiz
'Don't hate me because I'm beautiful'

Robert Lopez

Mar 10, 1992, 4:35:37 PM3/10/92
In article <1992Mar10.1...@predator.vpharm.com>, d...@predator.vpharm.com (David A. Pearlman) writes:
|> OK. I was thinking about this a lot, and I looked at the stack of records
|> that I have listened to more than once, and the stack that my mom bought
|> me a while ago and I have come up with what is probably the most objective
|> list of the greatest 7 bands of all time.
|>
|> 1) Motley Crue
|> They did it all. Videos. Music. Even those cool dots in their name
|> before all the other groups started doing it.

[lots of stuff deleted]

|> Fred

Realizing that JammMaster Fred was being humorous, I must say, "Nay!" and
bzzzzt. Blue Oyster Cult had those "cool dots" a decade prior. and they
used more dots.

Robert E. L\'{o}pez | Internet:
Texas LoanSTAR Program | rlo...@loanstar.tamu.edu
The Hosequarium South | rlo...@cs.tamu.edu
Texas A&M University
boohoo.onyou.edu

John Fereira

Mar 10, 1992, 4:35:31 PM3/10/92
In article <cdj8AJG00...@andrew.cmu.edu> jr...@andrew.cmu.edu (Jason M. Roth) writes:
|>1: COCTEAU TWINS-Although not a very well-known group, once you've
|heard them,
|> you're hooked for life.
|
|Nope.

This is no different than a "Rush Sucks"/"No they don't" argument. One writes
that Cocteau Twins are good and as a response we get no they aren't. Anyone
care to actually say something about Cocteau Twins. I responded to the
author of the original article (sorry, I forget the name and JMR left out
the attribution line) because this was the third time in the last week and a
half that I had seen a recommendation for Cocteau Twins. It's unfortunate
that JMR left out the part in the post that said the they played beautiful
and haunting music because as one that has never heard them (although I have
heard of them several times over the past couple of years on the net) an
XXX is good/XXX sucks debate tells us nothing about their music.

>>2: JANE'S ADDICTION-Perry Farrel. Need I say more?
>
>Uhhmm...Yeah. I mean, I like 'em and all, but Perry's not the whole deal.
>
>To each his own.

Exactly. Now would you like to tell us what "the whole deal" is?

>JMR
>HSK
>
>PS And I resent the implication that I worship the Eagles and Rush.

A little bit touchy are we? He didn't imply that the "you" "worship" the
Eagles and Rush. Of course not, you are too "cool" to like mainstream
groups like that.
--
+=============================================================================+
| John Fereira Al Bundy for President
| jo...@auspex.com "He's as good as the next guy" |
+=============================================================================+

Brendan Jones

Mar 10, 1992, 5:45:36 PM3/10/92
This is obvious:

1. Kylie Minogue
2. Danii Minogue
3. Jason Donovan
4. Rolf Harris
5. Bob Hudson
6. John Paul Young
7. Bay City Rollers
--
Brendan Jones | ACSnet: bre...@otc.otca.oz.au | What does
R&D Contractor | UUCP: {uunet,mcvax}!otc.otca.oz.au!brendan | your

yo...@binah.cc.brandeis.edu

Mar 10, 1992, 5:59:29 PM3/10/92
Silverman) writes:

>What I am curious about it what *you* think are the 7 greatest bands
>of all time (and why, if you want to say). I haven't decided what my

>opinion is, but if you have one, post to the net; I am curious what

>you all think are the 7 greatest of all time!

Well- let's start with yet another "definition" of the word "greatest" before
I proceed. In order for me to consider any band (or performer, which I won't
hesitate to include here where applicable) as one of the greats, it/he/she
must be:

1. Innovative - this doesn't necessarily have anything to do with complexity!
2. Influential - must significantly affect the subsequent course of musical
styles and history
3. Consistent - must have a decent number of solid and coherent albums to date

Popularity, technical wizardry, and individual tastes are fairly irrelevant
(although in case of a tie or a debatable entry, my likes and dislikes will, of
course, kick in.)

So here goes-

1. The Beatles

I don't find these guys too useful, personally, but they did effectively bring
rock back into the spotlight after the early 60's doldrums. -Sgt. Pepper-
introduced acid rock to a mass audience, and their later work pointed the way
for the sounds of the Seventies - warm, accessible, but still quirky.

2. Led Zeppelin

Hard-rock and heavy metal started here. These guys took the blues and so
utterly transmogrified that musical form that it was unrecognizable as such
by the release of Led Zep III. They also never lost their sense of
playfulness; there's a ton of progression and experimentation buried amongst
the "classic hits".

3. Yes

They popularized progressive rock and showed the world that rock-n-roll could
have the technical and emotional dynamics of a first-rate symphony. King
Crimson came earlier but was always a cult band. Genesis and Rush, IMHO, were
better but drew many of their ideas from what Yes had built. Each Yes member -
including Jon Anderson - was also a technical and improvisational genius.

4. Frank Zappa

He demonstrated that rock-n-roll could be topical, insightful, and funny all at
once. And he did this on top of innovative musical structures and dissonance
that made your head spin. Zappa undoubtedly made some of the most intelligent
rock music ever, and his smarts also were on rock's side when he so eloquently
defended it against Tipper Gore and Company.

5. Bruce Springsteen

Nobody could match emotional catharsis with instrumental drive and compostional
flair like this guy. Springsteen set a new standard for mainstream rock in the
mid-Seventies. Yes, he drew on a lot of traditional influences, but what
popped out on his albums was a whole new creation. And anyone who thinks his
stuff lacks innovation should check out the complexity of the material on -The
Wild, The Innocent, and the E Street Shuffle- .

6. Bob Marley and the Wailers

Where would reggae (or the Police, for that matter) be without this guy?
Marley wrote some of the toughest reggae of the early Seventies, then got
around to integrating rock and soul into the mix. If he had any transitional
difficulties in this task, they went unnoticed. He only got better as time
went by. His albums also stand up to literally hundreds of listenings.

7. REM

OK, somebody's gonna lynch me for this, but doesn't it seem like half the
so-called "alternative" bands that have appeared since -Murmur- sound just like
REM? Nobody sounded like that before their debut. The band also remains free
to recreate its sound. They've recently managed to integrate hard rock,
country, and rap into the mix in various proportions while producing an album
which still sounds like nothing else on the market (-Out of Time-).

I can't resist adding my seven faves as well, so here they are:

1. Bruce Springsteen
2. Bob Marley
3. Indigo Girls
4. Marillion
5. Dire Straits
6. Kate Bush
7. Joan Armatrading/Melissa Etheridge (tie)

-Bruce

"I gotta know how it feels
I wanna know if love is wild
I wanna know if love is real" -B. Springsteen

Scarecrow

Mar 10, 1992, 7:15:08 PM3/10/92
1 Joy Division
2 The Cure
3 The Smiths
4 The Beatles
5 Depressed, err umm, Depeche mode
6 Siouxsie & The Banshees
7 R.E.M.

Sorry, the sex pistols didn't last long enough

if you disagree with me, fine. your perrogotive. if you think i'm wrong

FUCK OFF, NAZI!!!!!!!

Ian lives

Jeff Whitmer

Mar 10, 1992, 9:47:49 PM3/10/92

Top 7 Greatest Bands of all time
--------------------------------
1. Jethro Tull
2. Led Zeppelin
3. The Who
4. Yes
5. Pink Floyd
6. AC/DC
7. (tie) Metallica, Ice-T, Ice Cube, Aerosmith. (I know I'm
cheating, so sue me!)

--
JEFFREY M. WHITMER - Graduate Student | Oh let the sun beat down upon my face
Dept. of History/Philosophy of Science | the stars to fill my dreams

David - the man himself

Mar 10, 1992, 10:37:49 PM3/10/92
ONE: KYLIE Minogue
(the rest are insignificant compared to Number ONE)

Bananarama
U2
Pet Shop Boys
Madonna
Janet Jackson
NKO...hmmm.....oops....typo......I mean............Whitney Houston

(BTW, have people heard Bananarama's new album? I got it about a month
ago; isn't it one of the best albums they've ever done?)

Just a comment.

David.

GEIR JOAR HVAL

Mar 10, 1992, 8:48:15 PM3/10/92
Here's my list:

1. YES - best symphonic rock now and then, great musicians
2. Led Zeppelin - managed to combine rock/heavy/blues/folk perfectly
3. Mike Oldfield - (old stuff) intrumental genius
4. Rush - great rock'n roll in a new and different way
5. Black Sabbath - masters of heavy rock
6. The Sweet - masters of glamour rock
7. Heart - (old stuff) great female rock'n roll a la Led Zep

I would like to subscribe to any mailing-list concerning these artists.

GARY
____

\\ Geir Joar Hval - | Geir J. Hval - //
\\ Informatikk seksjonen - | Ostfold College - Deptm. //
\\ Ostfold Distriktshogskole - | of Computer Science - //
\\ Halden, Norge | Halden, Norway //
\\ Liverpool FC, pride of the UK - England, European champs 1992 //
\\ -------------------------------------------------------------- //
\\ ----------- intnet: GEI...@sofus.dhhalden.no ----------- //

James A. Clark

Mar 10, 1992, 11:53:30 PM3/10/92

To All:

As I know I haven't listened to enough music to know what 7 bands
are the absolute BEST, I will simply stick to my favorite 7...

INXS
R.E.M.
U2
Yes
Pink Floyd
Peter Gabriel (not a band but still great)
TIE: Eric Clapton, the Cure, the Monkees, Rush, Live

(first six in no particular order - those that tied for seventh I
might have to rethink)

If I HAD to say who was the BEST, I would probably go with:

Yes
Rush
R.E.M.
Led Zeppelin
Beatles
Jimi Hendrix
Pink Floyd

Willing to argue...

-AndyC

thomas j lohman

Mar 10, 1992, 11:47:39 PM3/10/92
In article <920711...@mulga.cs.mu.OZ.AU> d...@ee.mu.OZ.AU (David - the man himself) writes:

>(BTW, have people heard Bananarama's new album? I got it about a month
>ago; isn't it one of the best albums they've ever done?)

By far it is the best musical statement to come out of the Bananas.
They have surged ahead of their 1980's "Robert Deniro-like" longings,
and given us a better vision for the 1990s. Not just a vision full of
cool summers, goodbyes, and party politics, but one of strength,
musicianship, economic truth, and putting music back in the hands of the
working people.

--tom

Steven Silverstein

Mar 11, 1992, 12:15:35 AM3/11/92
It is amazing how people can have 7 bands of the same style as the greatest of
all time. In other words, why would 2 bands that sound the same both be among
the best. To be the best of all time, you have to be the best at what you do,
with so many genres around. With another band in that era and genre you lose
that. In other words:
7 metal bands from the past 10 years
7 nerdy groups of white people from the past 10 years
7 hard rock bands from the 60s
7 boring synth bands from the 80s
7 70s bands that sound like Led Zeppelin
7 prog rock bands
etc.

How about some diversity people?

-Steve

Mike Mustaine

Mar 11, 1992, 12:26:01 AM3/11/92

DUDE! You couldn't have put it more succintly... Too bad clueless people
babble on, but I guess it could have been worse--I don't think he mentioned
that absolutely BRILLIANT band, NKOTB. Yeah right. Party Hardy and stay
--
Mike Mustaine |"...and like most intellectuals,
Starving College Student (tm) | he's intensely stupid."

chem...@otago.ac.nz

Mar 10, 1992, 11:25:33 PM3/10/92
In article <1992Mar10....@cbnews.cb.att.com>, a...@cbnews.cb.att.com (andrew.j.whitman) writes:
> In article <1992Mar10.0...@nic.unh.edu> t...@kepler.unh.edu (Timothy C Webb) writes:
>>In article <cubsfan.700186116@camelot> cub...@camelot.bradley.edu (Michael Silverman) writes:
>>>What I am curious about it what *you* think are the 7 greatest bands

My two bit's worth, in no particular order....

Steely Dan
Prefab Sprout
Microdisney
Danny Wilson
The Blue Nile
The Beatles
Bruford

Jason M. Roth

Mar 11, 1992, 1:37:27 AM3/11/92
In article <12...@auspex-gw.auspex.com>, John Fereira writes:

Lotsa' touchy BS.

I was simply responding to someone who was overstating his case(s).
Ease up there, pal.

JMR
HSK

PS And I like what I like, mainstream or not. Just don't try to tell me
what that is.

Matthew Thorpe

Mar 11, 1992, 1:38:14 AM3/11/92

1) Beatles
2) Led Zeppelin
3) The Smiths
4) R.E.M.
5) Sex Pistols
6) Bob Marley and the Whalers
7) AC/DC

These are in no particular order...

otte...@kean.ucs.mun.ca

Mar 11, 1992, 8:12:48 AM3/11/92
>>2) The Doors
>> I never really listened to any of their music, but I thought the Doors
>> movie was amazingly cool. And that chick from When Harry Meant Sally
>> was in it and she took off her top. God, I can't believe the Doors
>> could get someone to do that. Oh, and someone in gym class told me
>> that they were named after something that famous author, um,
>> Alan Alda Huxley (sp?) wrote.
>
> Do you mean Aldo Nova? Aldo Ray? What *are* you talking about?
> That scene with Kim (sp?) Basinger *was* really hot, though.

The chick from When Harry Met Sally is named Meg Ryan.
But more importantly, the Doors took their name from the writings of
the 20th century writer and acid-user Aldous Huxley, who spoke of
"opening the doors of perception." He is a great writer. One of my
seven favorites.

Timm
otte...@crosby.physics.mun.ca or otte...@kean.ucs.mun.ca
Memorial University of Newfoundland
St. John's, Nfld.
If another person posts that their favorite bands are Queen,
Van Halen, Led Zeppelin, and Aerosmith, I'll be sure I'm on the
set of Wayne's World. - Anonymous

Henning Schmiedehausen

Mar 11, 1992, 10:09:30 AM3/11/92
In <1992Mar10.1...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> sbo...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Steven A Bohman) writes:

>I can't resist...........
I can't resist, too:

(No order)

Jethro Tull
Electric Light Orchestra
Queen
Beach Boys
Pink Floyd
Men without Hats
Manfred Mann's Earth Band

Ciao
Henning

---
ONLY /// Real: Henning Schmiedehausen | I am the eye in the sky, looking
__ /// UUCP: bar...@forge.erh.sub.org | at you, I can read your mind...
\\\/// INT: hgsc...@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de | - APP
\XX/ AMIGA 3000 / 1510 -- UUCP 1.15D | Welcome to A3000. Welcome to machine.

Geoff Hopson

Mar 10, 1992, 1:01:50 PM3/10/92
Got to add my opinions to this little thread.

1 Led Zep - always there in my youth, and I hated them. Went to
California on holiday, and all I heard on the radio was Led Zep, and
suddenly "discovered" them.

2 The Doors - ditto above

3 Dan Reed Network - why isn't this band massive?

4 Extreme - doing some wicked stuff, appealing to all ends of the
spectrum

5 Bon Jovi - rock to the masses (the girlfriend will kill me if I
don't mention them)

6 Bang Tango - get into this band quick!! They are still the best
thing I have ever seen live, and their albums to date have a real
brooding menace to them. Brilliant.

7 Van Halen - if only for Eddie and his contribution to the rock world.

Next week my opinions will change completely to perhaps include Queen,
Mr Big, Mindfunk, Nirvana and several others. The whole point is that,
no matter whose opinion it is, there's a whole world of great music
out there.

Peter Climie

Mar 11, 1992, 9:39:20 AM3/11/92
Ok so some arent 'rock'n'roll' but they are bands

NEw Order
Joy Division
The Fall
Depeche Mode
The Cure
Sisters of Mercy
ADam and The AnTs

--
/---------...@dcs.glasgow.ac.uk--Peter Climie (aka Delbert)-----------\
|"This is the summer of malcontent, this is the winter of your mind" -The Fall|

The Dragon Queen

Mar 11, 1992, 10:57:06 AM3/11/92
d...@predator.vpharm.com (David A. Pearlman) writes:

> 1) Motley Crue
> They did it all. Videos. Music. Even those cool dots in their name

> before all the other groups started doing it. And they weren't
> afraid to wear makeup on stage. I think they were the first for that.
> Oh, and that song they wrote, Smoking With the Boys Groom, is really
> totally classic. I think they still pay it on KBURN (102.4).

KISS was the first to wear makeup, a long time before Motley Crue, and
the song is 'Smoking in the Boys Room'.

> 2) The Doors
> I never really listened to any of their music, but I thought the Doors
> movie was amazingly cool. And that chick from When Harry Meant Sally
> was in it and she took off her top. God, I can't believe the Doors
> could get someone to do that. Oh, and someone in gym class told me
> that they were named after something that famous author, um,
> Alan Alda Huxley (sp?) wrote.

Wait a sec--if you've never listened to their music, how can you possibly
rate them as being good musicians? I mean, they are, but how do you know?

> 3) Jon Bon Jovi
> Lots of hits. Hung out with Cher when she didn't have
> any hits. Sings Levon REAL good. From New Jersey and has played with
> Bruce Springsteen to help that guy's career. Need I say more?
>

> 4) Right Said Fred
> Sometimes you just know when someone is going to be around a long time.
> I really liked their song Let's Talk About Sex. Or was that them?
> Anyway, I know I heard a song by them that was in Power Hit Rotation
> on KBZZZ (92.7) and when I heard it you could tell that these guys
> might be as big as the Beatles and Hermans Hermits were in the really
> old days. These guys are not like guys like New Kids on the Block,
> who used to be pretty good, but now they just make music so that people
> will like it. Does anyone want to start a Right Said Fred mailing list?

If they're that big, than why is that out of 100 people I talked to, none (0)
of them had heard of them?

> 5) The Greatful Dead
> My brother's girlfriend took me and Paul to see these guys last summer.
> It was really amazing. There were these weird sixties like people
> everywhere and stuff. And this one girl came over and danced with me
> and we talked about trains and how when you work on the car sometimes you
> get that black stuff under your nails and you can't get it off. She

^^^^^^^^^^^
i think it's called 'oil'

> was a kind of intelectul person, the kind of person who takes math

^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^
intellectual

> in school and stuff. But that was really cool. And then we got drunk
> and passed out.

P.S.--math is a required course in school, or were you too stoned to realize
what class you were in? Did you even go to school at all?

> 6) Van Halen
> They were, like, the starters of hard rock. When no one else was playing
> anything, they started to play Running With the Devil and Pretty Woman
> and stuff. Eddie Van Halen is an amazing guitar god. I hear that he
> designed most of his guitars himself and sold the designs and now that's
> what everyone plays. David Lee Roth was amazing too. And Sammy Hagar
> is also amazing. Plus that other guy that hangs from a rope and plays
> while he is drinking Jack Daniels is really amazing. I heard that is
> how he really plays on the albums. Oh and that other guy who plays the
> drums. Listen to Wipeout. A friend told me he wrote that and he's
> amazing.

Starters of hard rock? Ever heard of Led Zeppelin, or Black Sabbath? Ever
listened to Eric Clapton? He makes Eddie Van Halen look like a tone-deaf
beginner!

> 7) Queen
> I remember hearing We Will Rock You at a hocky game and I thought it was

^^^^^
hockey

> really cool. And then they used that other song by them. I forget the
> name, but it's really long and sounds weird and everything. Anyway, they
> used it in Wayne's World, which I thought was an excellent choice. So

It's called 'Bohemian Rhapsody', of their 1975 album, "A Night At the Opera".

> I figured that if they do both of these songs they must be pretty good.
> So I bought Toys in the Attick. But it doesn't sound anything like them.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Toys in the Attic, by Aerosmith

> Wait, that's because it's not them. Anyway, I also got an album by them
> and it was pretty ok, but not as choice as We Will Rock You. But then
> that one guy in the band died and I thought it was really cool that he
> lived his life and was able to sing songs like We Will Rock You that
> they still play today. I think they were ahead of their time. And THEN
> I found out they also sang Another One Bites the Dust, which is one
> of the classics from the beginning of rock. So what else can you say
> but classic?
>

> Other groups I would include on my list if I had time would be
> Arrowsmith, Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch, Extreme (cool video), and

^^^^^^^^^^
Aerosmith

> Vixen (bitchin babes).

Could you at least learn a little bit about the music you listen to before
you post messages like this? Do you REALLY want the whole world to know
what a total ignoramus you are?

---
| _\|/_ |This posting compliments of The Dragon Queen|
| / \ | |
| | O O | | Any imaginative suggestions about what can |
|__ooo__|___ ___|__ooo__ | be writen in this box are welcome at: |
| UUU U UUU | sue%mir...@merk.com |

David A. Pearlman

Mar 11, 1992, 11:50:23 AM3/11/92
In article <1992Mar10.1...@cbnews.cb.att.com> a...@cbnews.cb.att.com (andrew.j.whitman) writes:

>In article <1992Mar10.1...@predator.vpharm.com> d...@predator.vpharm.com (Fred) writes:
>>OK. I was thinking about this a lot, and I looked at the stack of records
>>that I have listened to more than once, and the stack that my mom bought
>>me a while ago and I have come up with what is probably the most objective
>>list of the greatest 7 bands of all time.
>
>Not even close. My list is a lot more objective than yours.

Dude. You made some excellent points. I completely zoned on Zep man,
that Doorway to Heaven is awesome. And I think that is the first song
where they have that slow part and then that fast part in the middle.
That is almost classical.

So I think there's this other guy who must have read our lists and then
made his own because he sort of took all my choices and your choices and
then he listed them as his own in his own posting. Well I guess since
this is a pretty clear choice that's pretty forced. I mean, the
best are the best, right? So here is his list

In article <1992Mar10....@zoo.bt.co.uk> g...@zoo.bt.co.uk (Geoff Hopson) writes:
**Got to add my opinions to this little thread.
**
**1 Led Zep - always there in my youth, and I hated them. Went to
**California on holiday, and all I heard on the radio was Led Zep, and
**suddenly "discovered" them.

You called this one man.

**
**2 The Doors - ditto above

I got this one. He must really like that Basinger babe.

**
**3 Dan Reed Network - why isn't this band massive?

I dunno. I never heard of Dan Reed Network. Wait. Is that the one the
Simpsons are on? If so, they are really good. Though Kim, who is really
hot and goes out with me sometimes absolutely BARFS at those dweebs
on Beverly Hills 90210.

**
**4 Extreme - doing some wicked stuff, appealing to all ends of the
**spectrum

Got this one dude. But I think they only appeal to everyone because they
are awesome and have awesome videos not because they are appealing to
everyone. Thats like the New Kids who now bite.

**
**5 Bon Jovi - rock to the masses (the girlfriend will kill me if I
**don't mention them)

Beat you to this one dude. Kim likes them to. But man who cares? And
blow the masses. Bon Jovi is a friend to the down and out like Cher.
I once knew a guy like that. He went out with Liz Bernstein when she
lost out for prom queen. Not many guys would do that. But Bon Jovi would.

**
**6 Bang Tango - get into this band quick!! They are still the best
**thing I have ever seen live, and their albums to date have a real
**brooding menace to them. Brilliant.

Do they do Lets Talk About Sex? I thought that was Right Said Fred. Or
maybe they do I Want To Sex You Up? Or I Want Your Sex? I hope this is
a group that does songs about sex since otherwise this is a majorly lame
choice with groups like Right Said Fred around.

**
**7 Van Halen - if only for Eddie and his contribution to the rock world.

Beat you again man! Not just for Eddie though he is amazing. But for
every amazing song they put out, which is every one almost. Except that
slow one about dreams. But I heard that some record company guy threated
to kill Eddie unless he sang that one.

**
**Next week my opinions will change completely to perhaps include Queen,
**Mr Big, Mindfunk, Nirvana and several others. The whole point is that,
**no matter whose opinion it is, there's a whole world of great music
**out there.

Queen rocks, dude. Got that one too. But how can your opinions change
when this is objective? Well, rock on, mon amy!

Fred

....... ....... ....... .......
....... .. ... .. .. ..
.... ....... ....... .. .. rockin hit machine guy
.... .. . .. .. ..
.... .. ... ....... .......

This is our postings, to prove we picked them first:

>>1) Motley Crue
>> They did it all. Videos. Music. Even those cool dots in their name
>

>>2) The Doors
>> I never really listened to any of their music, but I thought the Doors
>

>>3) Jon Bon Jovi
>> Lots of hits. Hung out with Cher when she didn't have
>

>>4) Right Said Fred
>> Sometimes you just know when someone is going to be around a long time.
>

>>5) The Greatful Dead
>> My brother's girlfriend took me and Paul to see these guys last summer.
>>

>>6) Van Halen
>> They were, like, the starters of hard rock. When no one else was playing
>

>First, Led Zeppelin were the starters of hard rock, especially on
>the "Led Zeppelin IV (Soso)" album. This was back in the late

>>7) Queen
>> I remember hearing We Will Rock You at a hocky game and I thought it was

>> really cool. And then they used that other song by them. I forget the
>> name, but it's really long and sounds weird and everything. Anyway, they
>> used it in Wayne's World, which I thought was an excellent choice. So

>> I figured that if they do both of these songs they must be pretty good.
>> So I bought Toys in the Attick. But it doesn't sound anything like them.

>> Wait, that's because it's not them. Anyway, I also got an album by them
>> and it was pretty ok, but not as choice as We Will Rock You. But then
>> that one guy in the band died and I thought it was really cool that he
>> lived his life and was able to sing songs like We Will Rock You that
>> they still play today. I think they were ahead of their time. And THEN
>> I found out they also sang Another One Bites the Dust, which is one
>> of the classics from the beginning of rock. So what else can you say
>> but classic?
>
>>Other groups I would include on my list if I had time would be
>>Arrowsmith, Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch, Extreme (cool video), and

>>Vixen (bitchin babes).
>

>>Fred
>>
>>....... ....... ....... .......
>>....... .. ... .. .. ..
>>.... ....... ....... .. .. rockin hit machine guy
>>.... .. . .. .. ..
>>.... .. ... ....... .......
>
>Colin Kanswer
>18603...@metal.psu.edu

82370s-punskovsky

Mar 11, 1992, 12:35:39 PM3/11/92

I'm going to go for the classic greatest bands, since I think
that newer bands haven't been around that long to be considered 'a
greatest band'. I'm a big GNR fan, but I wouldn't put them in this
list, for example.

IMHO, my choices are (in no particular order):

1) Led Zep - how can you not like the band that started hard/metal rock.

2) Lynard Skynard - I love their southern rock style, no one has yet to
match them in that category.

3) Pink Floyd - rock-n-roll's classical band.

4) Aerosmith - just because, I like them.

5) Queen - intwining classical with hard rock.

6) Van Halen - the VH with David Lee Roth, not Van Haggar.

7) Elton John - he may not be a "band", but he's got to be included
as one of the greatest.

Lin

Edmund Wong

Mar 11, 1992, 1:00:05 PM3/11/92
In article <1992Mar11....@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> ja...@po.CWRU.Edu (James A. Clark) writes:

>To All:
>
>As I know I haven't listened to enough music to know what 7 bands
>are the absolute BEST, I will simply stick to my favorite 7...
>
>INXS
>R.E.M.
>U2
>Yes
>Pink Floyd
>Peter Gabriel (not a band but still great)
>TIE: Eric Clapton, the Cure, the Monkees, Rush, Live
^^^^^^^^^^^
The Best!! 8)
"Oh Oh, Here comes the Monkees.."

>If I HAD to say who was the BEST, I would probably go with:
>
>Yes

No... (get it? Yes..No? haahahah.. j/king.. seriously..)
Yes is a great group!
>Rush
No comment.. Not much a Rush fan..

>R.E.M.
Ick
>Led Zeppelin
Cewl!
>Beatles
Radically Hip! 8)

>Jimi Hendrix
"Wild Thing....You make my heart Sing....You make everything..
Groovy.."
Total Awesome!

>Pink Floyd
Most Definite...
--
wo...@fraser.sfu.ca.I.think.but.who.knows.?. \ "Hello, You fool, I love you,
GO CANUCKS GO!!!! \ Come Join the Joyride.."

Edmund Wong

Mar 11, 1992, 1:02:41 PM3/11/92
In article <1992Mar11.0...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> smus...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Mike Mustaine) writes:

>DUDE! You couldn't have put it more succintly... Too bad clueless people
>babble on, but I guess it could have been worse--I don't think he mentioned
>Mike Mustaine |"...and like most intellectuals,
^^^^^^^^^
BRILLIANT?? No Way.. THEY ARE THE _BEST_!! <yeah..right...>

>Starving College Student (tm) | he's intensely stupid."
>smus...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu | - Glenn Close,
>st...@cis.ohio-state.edu | Dangerous Liasions

Edmund Wong

Mar 11, 1992, 1:07:32 PM3/11/92
In article <1992Mar11.1...@dcs.glasgow.ac.uk> clim...@dcs.glasgow.ac.uk (Peter Climie) writes:
>Ok so some arent 'rock'n'roll' but they are bands
>
>NEw Order
>Joy Division
>The Fall

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't New Order the same as Joy Division?
Like wasn't that their old name?

Joe Boehm

Mar 11, 1992, 1:33:07 PM3/11/92
In article <cubsfan.700186116@camelot> cub...@camelot.bradley.edu (Michael Silverman) writes:

>What I am curious about it what *you* think are the 7 greatest bands
>of all time (and why, if you want to say). I haven't decided what my
>opinion is, but if you have one, post to the net; I am curious what
>you all think are the 7 greatest of all time!

The Beatles
The Rolling Stones
The Police
Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble
Bruce Springsteen and The E-Street Band
U2
Guns-And-Roses

It's tough to pick the "7 greatest of all time", but these groups fill
the biggest amount of space in my record collection.

Joe Boehm

.

Chris Blouch

Mar 11, 1992, 1:50:40 PM3/11/92

7. Warren Zevon
6. Renaissance
5. Shoes
4. Negativland
3. Prefab Sprout
2. Kate Bush
1. The Tubes

Greg Blouch (not chris)
Wright State University
Dayton, Ohio
--
Chris Blouch am995
also CSE...@wright.edu

Laura Kozma

Mar 11, 1992, 2:14:17 PM3/11/92
In article <VHBHHB...@miracle.UUCP> sue%mir...@merk.com (The Dragon Queen) writes:
>d...@predator.vpharm.com (David A. Pearlman) writes:
>
>> 1) Motley Crue
>> They did it all. Videos. Music. Even those cool dots in their name
>> before all the other groups started doing it. And they weren't
>> afraid to wear makeup on stage. I think they were the first for that.
>> Oh, and that song they wrote, Smoking With the Boys Groom, is really
>> totally classic. I think they still pay it on KBURN (102.4).
>
>KISS was the first to wear makeup, a long time before Motley Crue, and
>the song is 'Smoking in the Boys Room'.

Wow, the things you can learn here! I always thought
that the Chantels or maybe the Chiffons or Shirelles were first.

>> 2) The Doors
>> I never really listened to any of their music, but I thought the Doors
>> movie was amazingly cool. And that chick from When Harry Meant Sally
>> was in it and she took off her top. God, I can't believe the Doors
>> could get someone to do that. Oh, and someone in gym class told me
>> that they were named after something that famous author, um,
>> Alan Alda Huxley (sp?) wrote.
>
>Wait a sec--if you've never listened to their music, how can you possibly
>rate them as being good musicians? I mean, they are, but how do you know?

He's clairvoyant.

>> 4) Right Said Fred
>> Sometimes you just know when someone is going to be around a long time.
>

>If they're that big, than why is that out of 100 people I talked to, none (0)
>of them had heard of them?

I dunno. Maybe you're talking to too many old people (over 18)??

You can when a group is going to be big. People like you do Gallup
polls.

>> 5) The Greatful Dead
>> My brother's girlfriend took me and Paul to see these guys last summer.
>> It was really amazing. There were these weird sixties like people
>> everywhere and stuff. And this one girl came over and danced with me
>> and we talked about trains and how when you work on the car sometimes you
>> get that black stuff under your nails and you can't get it off. She
> ^^^^^^^^^^^
> i think it's called 'oil'

I think it's called "cat ear mites".

>Could you at least learn a little bit about the music you listen to before
>you post messages like this?

I know what you mean. I mean, some people on rec.music.misc like to,
you know, post silly parodies of real stuff. And other people
don't even stick around long enough to realize it!

>Do you REALLY want the whole world to know
>what a total ignoramus you are?

Ditto.

Laura Kozma

--
Laura Kozma
AT&T, 30 Knightsbridge Rd

Timothy Jehl

Mar 11, 1992, 1:45:14 PM3/11/92

In article <VHBHHB...@miracle.UUCP>, sue%mir...@merk.com (The Dragon Queen) writes:
[ tons of clueless rebuttal deleted ]

Sue, er, that is, Dragon Queen,

You really should go out and rent a sense of humor. Try it for a month
or so, and if you like it, you might consider purchasing.
Just as a quick hint, if somebody says something so incredibly stupid
that they can't possibly be serious, you should consider the possibility that
they in fact aren't serious. I will agree that there are some incredibly
stupid people out there, but if you read the original article again, I think
that you will realize that it was meant as humor.
Of course, if your rebuttal was also meant as humor, I will have to include
myself as among the Clueless Nation (TM).
As a final note, not all humor has those stupid little smiley faces tacked
on :-) I know that this can cause some sorrow for those who need a humor
roadmap :-( but is unfortunately a fact of life that we have to life with ;-)

Tim

Toshi Tsuboi

Mar 11, 1992, 1:32:08 PM3/11/92
Okay, I can't resist either...

In terms of influential bands;

The Beatles
Rolling Stones
REM
The Clash
Velvet Underground
Kraftwork (sp?)
Led Zeppelin

--
Toshi Tsuboi SAS Institute Inc. sas...@unx.sas.com
SAS Campus Dr. J591 TEL: (919)677-8000 ext. 6779

Andrew Cannon

Mar 11, 1992, 4:18:43 AM3/11/92
My list of the 7 greatest bands (again in no particular order)

AC/DC - Classic rockers with some blues in their earlier stuff.
Led Zeppelin - Defined a style.
Rolling Stones - Influenced more groups to start than any other band.
UFO - No particular reason, I just think they deserve more recognition than
they ever got.
Free - Blues rock at its best.

And the last two are up and coming bands who will be the greatest.....

The Almighty - Powerfull songs with classic's like Free 'n Easy.
Thunder - Danny's voice is excellant.

Andy

--
| Andy | ...Pain leads to Pleasure
| | Love leads to Lust 'Devils Toy'
| Email | She said..Love only Love The Almighty
| and...@spider.co.uk | Love is the Devils Toy.

Martin Preston (Research Student)

Mar 10, 1992, 3:38:46 AM3/10/92
In <cubsfan.700186116@camelot> cub...@camelot.bradley.edu (Michael Silverman) writes:

>The new Spin magazine just came out. It was their 7th anniversary
>special, and they had a feature on what they considered the
>"Seven Greatest Bands of All Time." I don't have the magazine next
>to me now, so I don't remember exactly what bands made it, though
>I remember the Beatles, Rolling Stones, and Led Zeppelin making it,
>as well as Public Enemy.

How about (in no order):

Miles Davis 'Kind of Blue' lineup :
Unforgettable band which inspired a whole generation of musicians,
from straight Jazzmen to Candy Dulfer and back.
Cream :
Made serious rock an artform, instead of a marketing ploy.
Where they lead, Led Zeppelin followed
Beatles :
Defined popular music
Pink Floyd :
By proving you don't have to follow Cream/Led Zeppelin/Beatles in
order to make good music. Introduced sampling, quadrophonic sound,
and made teenage angst popular. Mastered the art of mixing modern
music with the techniques of producing musical theatre.
Charlie Christian :
Arguably the first to use an electric guitar for the blues, and
started everything from Hendrix to the Stones.
Miles Davis 'Bitches Brew' lineup / Weather Report :
Up until this point music had been in clearly delineated slots.
After the fusion movement had finished things were never quite the
same again.
James Brown :
The father of everything from funk to todays dance.

BTW, why only 7? Seems like a strange sort of number.

Martin
|Martin Preston, (pre...@uk.ac.mcc.cgu.v2) | S A V E |
|Computer Graphics Unit, Manchester Computing Centre, | THE |
|University of Manchester, | N.U.R.B. |
|Manchester, U.K., M13 9PL Phone : 061 275 6095 | |

Man on a Mission

Mar 11, 1992, 2:33:22 PM3/11/92
In article <VHBHHB...@miracle.UUCP> sue%mir...@merk.com (The Dragon Queen) writes:

>Starters of hard rock? Ever heard of Led Zeppelin, or Black Sabbath? Ever
>listened to Eric Clapton? He makes Eddie Van Halen look like a tone-deaf
>beginner!

Uh, no. Slowhand is awesome, but Eddie is god. Their styles are QUITE
different. You're trying to compare a Rolls-Royce with an F-16.

>---
>| _\|/_ |This posting compliments of The Dragon Queen|
>| / \ | |
>| | O O | | Any imaginative suggestions about what can |
>|__ooo__|___ ___|__ooo__ | be writen in this box are welcome at: |
>| UUU U UUU | sue%mir...@merk.com |

Having some tab problem with our .sig, are we? I think i may send this to
alt.fan.warlord....

--
"Is there something wrong? she said, ,----------- Ron A. Echeverri
of course there is, Are you still alive? | BSAE 1994 Univ. of So. Cal.
she said, Oh, do i deserve to be? `---------------\ MUDaholic
Is that the question? And if so, who answers? - Pearl Jam \___________

Marcus Gustavsson

Mar 11, 1992, 12:53:42 PM3/11/92

My personal fave list looks like this:

1: AC/DC
Raised with it, so there's nothing I can do. Seriously they were
a nice injection to rock that felt utterly sexless. I never liked
bands that wanted to be seen with the princess in King's cross.

2: King Sunny Ade
Yep I'm serious, these guys make perfect dance. I love the rhythm.
No risque falling asleep either, because they have good speed.

3: Pink Floyd
I like this music. Gives me positive waves. Money is pretty cool.

4: Jarre
This is the perfect mountaineering music. For that special moment
when you have the whole world in view and the smallest dot on the
horizon seems to reach out to you. Adventure and Jarre, farfetched,
well that's how I feel.

5: Dave Lindley
This guy plays weird instruments in a nice and understandable way.
I don't know if he's scizo enough to form a band, but he'll fit in
anyhow. He's good at good time rock too.

6: Tant Strul
This girl band is probably unknown outside Sweden. They made nice
rock with some experiments with jazz instruments. It worked well.
They have the right texts for me.

7: Rolling Stones
I like them. There is at least some life in them, compared to
some other yawny bands that could be heard then. Paint it black,
Satisfaction and Jumpin Jack Flash and all that. Full of energy.

Well that was my personal list. I couldn't make any scientific,
because I haven't got the slightest idea about accords or beat
or rhythm or any such. But I know that the above bands sound right
to me.

I would want to put Gary Glitter in the number one slot for
worst ever.

Mof
--
Chalmers | Rock'n'roll is an outlet for what hurts most
University | No money, no women, no alcohol or whatever

David A. Pearlman

Mar 11, 1992, 2:09:34 PM3/11/92
In article <VHBHHB...@miracle.UUCP> sue%mir...@merk.com (The Dragon Queen) writes:
>d...@predator.vpharm.com (Fred the rockin hit machine guy) writes:
>
>> 1) Motley Crue
>> They did it all. Videos. Music. Even those cool dots in their name
>> before all the other groups started doing it. And they weren't
>> afraid to wear makeup on stage. I think they were the first for that.
>> Oh, and that song they wrote, Smoking With the Boys Groom, is really
>> totally classic. I think they still pay it on KBURN (102.4).
>
>KISS was the first to wear makeup, a long time before Motley Crue, and
>the song is 'Smoking in the Boys Room'.

Like, I know Kiss wore makeup and all. But Motley Crue was the first to
do it in a rock and roll way. OK? So yeah, like, everyone else could
have worn it. But Motley Crue did it coolest. But boy am I shorn on
that name! I was sure it was Smoking With the Boys Groom. A friend of
mine thought it was Strokin the Boys Droon. But he also likes that
wanky song by REM about standing. Smoking in the Boys Room seems
like a pretty boring name. Like who doesn't? But its still a total classic.

>> 2) The Doors
>> I never really listened to any of their music, but I thought the Doors
>> movie was amazingly cool. And that chick from When Harry Meant Sally
>> was in it and she took off her top. God, I can't believe the Doors
>> could get someone to do that. Oh, and someone in gym class told me
>> that they were named after something that famous author, um,
>> Alan Alda Huxley (sp?) wrote.
>
>Wait a sec--if you've never listened to their music, how can you possibly
>rate them as being good musicians? I mean, they are, but how do you know?

Man I don't have to hear them to know how good they are. Plus I saw them
in the movie and they sang them real good there. But a group would have to be
really good to get someone as hot as that Sally chick to put out for them.
Plus they have a whole bunch of greatest hits albums out and most groups don't
even have more than one. I mean, what else do you need?

>> 3) Jon Bon Jovi
>> Lots of hits. Hung out with Cher when she didn't have
>> any hits. Sings Levon REAL good. From New Jersey and has played with
>> Bruce Springsteen to help that guy's career. Need I say more?
>>
>> 4) Right Said Fred
>> Sometimes you just know when someone is going to be around a long time.
>> I really liked their song Let's Talk About Sex. Or was that them?
>> Anyway, I know I heard a song by them that was in Power Hit Rotation
>> on KBZZZ (92.7) and when I heard it you could tell that these guys
>> might be as big as the Beatles and Hermans Hermits were in the really
>> old days. These guys are not like guys like New Kids on the Block,
>> who used to be pretty good, but now they just make music so that people
>> will like it. Does anyone want to start a Right Said Fred mailing list?
>
>If they're that big, than why is that out of 100 people I talked to, none (0)
>of them had heard of them?

Well I just asked five of my friends here and all of them know Right Said
Fred. Are you ancient or what? Just what kind of music do you listen to?
Chris Sellin (hi Chris!) saw there video last night and she said they were
totally hot to look at too. If you are in town, listen to KPWR 103.5. You
will hear all of there songs there, too.

>> 5) The Greatful Dead
>> My brother's girlfriend took me and Paul to see these guys last summer.
>> It was really amazing. There were these weird sixties like people
>> everywhere and stuff. And this one girl came over and danced with me
>> and we talked about trains and how when you work on the car sometimes you
>> get that black stuff under your nails and you can't get it off. She
> ^^^^^^^^^^^
> i think it's called 'oil'

Oh yeah. Thanks. I always forget what they call it.

>> was a kind of intelectul person, the kind of person who takes math
> ^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^
> intellectual
>
>> in school and stuff. But that was really cool. And then we got drunk
>> and passed out.
>
>P.S.--math is a required course in school, or were you too stoned to realize
>what class you were in? Did you even go to school at all?

Sure I took math when I had to. But I was talking about algebra and stuff.
The really hard stuff. And have you ever been stoned in class? If so, you
would know that you still know what class you are in. But it is just so
much cooler. One time I was stoned and I started laughing and everything
and it was really funny until the teacher threw me out of class. No biggie.
Hey, did you ever teech at my school?

>> 6) Van Halen
>> They were, like, the starters of hard rock. When no one else was playing
>> anything, they started to play Running With the Devil and Pretty Woman
>> and stuff. Eddie Van Halen is an amazing guitar god. I hear that he
>> designed most of his guitars himself and sold the designs and now that's
>> what everyone plays. David Lee Roth was amazing too. And Sammy Hagar
>> is also amazing. Plus that other guy that hangs from a rope and plays
>> while he is drinking Jack Daniels is really amazing. I heard that is
>> how he really plays on the albums. Oh and that other guy who plays the
>> drums. Listen to Wipeout. A friend told me he wrote that and he's
>> amazing.
>
>Starters of hard rock? Ever heard of Led Zeppelin, or Black Sabbath? Ever
>listened to Eric Clapton? He makes Eddie Van Halen look like a tone-deaf
>beginner!

Yeah I heard of them. I already admitted that I just zoned on Zep. There
Subway to Heaven is one of the best songs they play on the Lunchtime Six
Pack of Rock Legends Legendary Songs of Rock that they have every day on
the radio. I never heard Black Sabbath there, but I am not too religious
a person so I don't think I would like them. I think Stryper bite too.
And I heard Eric Clapton the other day when my sister picked the station
on the radio. It was some wanky mellow song. You think that is anything
like the geniuses of rock like Van Halen? I really think you must be
really old.

My friend Mitch who is reading this just told me that he thinks Eric Clapton
sang on Layla or something. I heard that yesterday on the Six Pack. Cool
song except for that stupid bird crap at the end and the part that goes
na na na na na na without any words! OK, so maybe Clapton was OK once.
But now he is burned out. Van Halen is keeping the fire burning and never
had to sing other peoples songs! Rave on dudes!

>> 7) Queen
>> I remember hearing We Will Rock You at a hocky game and I thought it was
> ^^^^^
> hockey
>
>> really cool. And then they used that other song by them. I forget the
>> name, but it's really long and sounds weird and everything. Anyway, they
>> used it in Wayne's World, which I thought was an excellent choice. So
>
>It's called 'Bohemian Rhapsody', of their 1975 album, "A Night At the Opera".

No wonder I didn't know what its called. Bohemian Rhapsody of their 1975
album A Night At the Opera is a really weird title. I don't even get it.
Another guy told me it was called Bavarian Rapsody and I think that is
more likely. I just heard it again and it seems like they are singing about
beer at one part.

>> I figured that if they do both of these songs they must be pretty good.
>> So I bought Toys in the Attick. But it doesn't sound anything like them.
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Toys in the Attic, by Aerosmith

Yeah thats why I said it didn't sound anything like them. Duh!

>> Wait, that's because it's not them. Anyway, I also got an album by them
>> and it was pretty ok, but not as choice as We Will Rock You. But then
>> that one guy in the band died and I thought it was really cool that he
>> lived his life and was able to sing songs like We Will Rock You that
>> they still play today. I think they were ahead of their time. And THEN
>> I found out they also sang Another One Bites the Dust, which is one
>> of the classics from the beginning of rock. So what else can you say
>> but classic?
>>
>> Other groups I would include on my list if I had time would be
>> Arrowsmith, Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch, Extreme (cool video), and
> ^^^^^^^^^^
> Aerosmith
>
>> Vixen (bitchin babes).
>

>Could you at least learn a little bit about the music you listen to before
>you post messages like this? Do you REALLY want the whole world to know
>what a total ignoramus you are?

Yeah, really. Like you know anything. I made my arguments above there and
if there are any that are not clear I doubt it. Are you like a geeser old
mom or something? Cause my mom doesn't know any of these songs either. But
so what? These are objectively better than Percy Como and Bobby Mathis and
and Barbra Stisand and those guys.

Some people are really dense.

>---
>| _\|/_ |This posting compliments of The Dragon Queen|

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
No lie.

Thomas Bednarek

Mar 11, 1992, 1:49:57 PM3/11/92
In article <VHBHHB...@miracle.UUCP>, sue%mir...@merk.com (The Dragon Queen) writes:

[critical analysis of an obviously facetious post deleted]

>Could you at least learn a little bit about the music you listen to before
>you post messages like this? Do you REALLY want the whole world to know
>what a total ignoramus you are?

Say Sue, do you know the word "gullible" is not in the dictionary?

Tom
(sas...@vms.sas.com)

Colin McFadyen

Mar 11, 1992, 3:07:02 PM3/11/92
In <VHBHHB...@miracle.UUCP> sue%mir...@merk.com (The Dragon Queen) writes:

>d...@predator.vpharm.com (David A. Pearlman) writes:

Lots of super-sarcastic comments that went over The Dragon Queen's head deleted.

>Could you at least learn a little bit about the music you listen to before
>you post messages like this? Do you REALLY want the whole world to know
>what a total ignoramus you are?

Looks good on ya Dragon lady.
Read David's post again and try to decide who is the real ignoramus!!
I think the whole world REALLY knows.

Ursula J. Hull

Mar 11, 1992, 2:40:09 PM3/11/92

ke...@minster.york.ac.uk

Mar 11, 1992, 8:02:53 AM3/11/92
In article <1992Mar10....@wpi.WPI.EDU> me...@wpi.WPI.EDU (A Son of the Silent Age) writes:
>Sans fanfare:
> Husker Du
> XTC
> The Cure
> The Soft Boys
> R.E.M.
> The Sisters Of Mercy
> Pixies
>
>I don't know quite enough Wire to include them. There's plenty more artists
>(David Bowie, Robyn Hitchcock, Peter Gabriel, etc.), but they're not BANDS.
>
>doug

Nor are The Sisters Of Mercy, who, although very good, are really just
Andrew Eldritch and whoever he hires to record an album or go on tour with.
He's only really a good solo artist with enough sense to realise that for
goth music a 'band' will appear much better than a solo artist.

Ian

Timothy Jehl

Mar 11, 1992, 3:30:08 PM3/11/92

Okay people. You are all picking bands out of one category. I think
it is much more useful to define the categories, and then pick the best
band to fill them. So ....................

1) Greatest all around

The obvious choice is the Ruttles. They did it all. You can still
find their influences in all sorts of music today.

2) Old time rock and roll

Although not a group, Johnny Goode stood head and shoulders above his
contemporaries, and his music still holds up today.

3) Glitter

Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars. Very avant-garde (sp?).
Ziggy, of course, played guitar.

4) Asbury Park/East Coast

Although this area of the country has put out a lot of interesting music
in the past 20 yeares, I have to go with my favorite, which is Eddy and the
Cruisers.

5) New Wave

I admit that I haven't got a clue when it comes to new wave, but I hear
that Drop Dead Fred is pretty good.

6) Heavy Metal

Who could argue with Spinal Tap. No explanation required.

7) Pop

Although these guys weren't really a band, I still like a lot of their
songs. The Monkees.

Tim

Mark Miller

Mar 11, 1992, 4:48:49 PM3/11/92
In article <1992Mar11.1...@predator.vpharm.com> d...@predator.vpharm.com (David A. Pearlman) writes:
<In article <VHBHHB...@miracle.UUCP> sue%mir...@merk.com (The Dragon Queen) writes:
<>d...@predator.vpharm.com (Fred the rockin hit machine guy) writes:
<>
<>> 1) Motley Crue
<>> They did it all. Videos. Music. Even those cool dots in their name
<>> before all the other groups started doing it. And they weren't
<>> afraid to wear makeup on stage. I think they were the first for that.
<>> Oh, and that song they wrote, Smoking With the Boys Groom, is really
<>> totally classic. I think they still pay it on KBURN (102.4).
<>
<>KISS was the first to wear makeup, a long time before Motley Crue, and
<>the song is 'Smoking in the Boys Room'.
<
<Like, I know Kiss wore makeup and all. But Motley Crue was the first to
<do it in a rock and roll way. OK? So yeah, like, everyone else could

What are you trying to say, sir? It certainly seemed to me that Kiss
wore makeup in a 'rock and roll way'. I think you're confused.

<have worn it. But Motley Crue did it coolest. But boy am I shorn on
<that name! I was sure it was Smoking With the Boys Groom. A friend of
<mine thought it was Strokin the Boys Droon. But he also likes that
<wanky song by REM about standing. Smoking in the Boys Room seems
<like a pretty boring name. Like who doesn't? But its still a total classic.

The song IS 'Smoking in the Boys Room'... and considering it as a
'total classic' is strictly your opinion, sir.

<>> 2) The Doors
<>> I never really listened to any of their music, but I thought the Doors
<>> movie was amazingly cool. And that chick from When Harry Meant Sally
<>> was in it and she took off her top. God, I can't believe the Doors
<>> could get someone to do that. Oh, and someone in gym class told me
<>> that they were named after something that famous author, um,
<>> Alan Alda Huxley (sp?) wrote.
<>
<>Wait a sec--if you've never listened to their music, how can you possibly
<>rate them as being good musicians? I mean, they are, but how do you know?
<
<Man I don't have to hear them to know how good they are. Plus I saw them

Yes you do!!! It's a requirement! To really appreciate and understand
their music, you MUST listen to it, sir. Besides that, the movie only played
a small fraction of the entire Doors material...and that's not enough to
base any opinion.

<in the movie and they sang them real good there. But a group would have to be
<really good to get someone as hot as that Sally chick to put out for them.
<Plus they have a whole bunch of greatest hits albums out and most groups don't
<even have more than one. I mean, what else do you need?

So, let me see if I understand what you're saying...if a 'hot chick puts out'
for a group, they are 'really good'. Hmmm...quite interesting...it would
appear by your standards that probably 98.6% of groups are 'really good'...
that certainly makes sense! Ha! You're very humorous, sir!

<>> 3) Jon Bon Jovi
<>> Lots of hits. Hung out with Cher when she didn't have
<>> any hits. Sings Levon REAL good. From New Jersey and has played with
<>> Bruce Springsteen to help that guy's career. Need I say more?
<>>
<>> 4) Right Said Fred
<>> Sometimes you just know when someone is going to be around a long time.
<>> I really liked their song Let's Talk About Sex. Or was that them?
<>> Anyway, I know I heard a song by them that was in Power Hit Rotation
<>> on KBZZZ (92.7) and when I heard it you could tell that these guys
<>> might be as big as the Beatles and Hermans Hermits were in the really
<>> old days. These guys are not like guys like New Kids on the Block,
<>> who used to be pretty good, but now they just make music so that people
<>> will like it. Does anyone want to start a Right Said Fred mailing list?
<>
<>If they're that big, than why is that out of 100 people I talked to, none (0)
<>of them had heard of them?

Same here!!!

<Well I just asked five of my friends here and all of them know Right Said
<Fred. Are you ancient or what? Just what kind of music do you listen to?
<Chris Sellin (hi Chris!) saw there video last night and she said they were

^^^^^
I think that should be 'their'.

<totally hot to look at too. If you are in town, listen to KPWR 103.5. You
<will hear all of there songs there, too.

^^^^^
...once again.

<>> 5) The Greatful Dead
<>> My brother's girlfriend took me and Paul to see these guys last summer.
<>> It was really amazing. There were these weird sixties like people
<>> everywhere and stuff. And this one girl came over and danced with me
<>> and we talked about trains and how when you work on the car sometimes you
<>> get that black stuff under your nails and you can't get it off. She
<> ^^^^^^^^^^^
<> i think it's called 'oil'
<
<Oh yeah. Thanks. I always forget what they call it.

You don't get out much, do you, sir?

<>> was a kind of intelectul person, the kind of person who takes math
<> ^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^
<> intellectual
<>
<>> in school and stuff. But that was really cool. And then we got drunk
<>> and passed out.
<>
<>P.S.--math is a required course in school, or were you too stoned to realize
<>what class you were in? Did you even go to school at all?
<
<Sure I took math when I had to. But I was talking about algebra and stuff.
<The really hard stuff. And have you ever been stoned in class? If so, you

Congratulations, sir! You must be really cool...getting stoned in class!

<would know that you still know what class you are in. But it is just so
<much cooler. One time I was stoned and I started laughing and everything
<and it was really funny until the teacher threw me out of class. No biggie.
<Hey, did you ever teech at my school?

^^^^^
BZZZT...try again, sir...it's teach.

[...]

...try Their!

<Subway to Heaven is one of the best songs they play on the Lunchtime Six

^^^^^^
It's 'Stairway', sir!

<Pack of Rock Legends Legendary Songs of Rock that they have every day on
<the radio. I never heard Black Sabbath there, but I am not too religious
<a person so I don't think I would like them. I think Stryper bite too.
<And I heard Eric Clapton the other day when my sister picked the station
<on the radio. It was some wanky mellow song. You think that is anything
<like the geniuses of rock like Van Halen? I really think you must be
<really old.

The problem here, sir, is that you are SO under-educated. I would believe
that there are a large percentage of net-people out here who enjoy the
'Rock Legends' and whose ages are 18-22...not 'really old'!

<My friend Mitch who is reading this just told me that he thinks Eric Clapton
<sang on Layla or something. I heard that yesterday on the Six Pack. Cool

Your friend, Mitch, is correct. So far so good for Mitch...you, however
need work.

<song except for that stupid bird crap at the end and the part that goes
<na na na na na na without any words! OK, so maybe Clapton was OK once.
<But now he is burned out. Van Halen is keeping the fire burning and never
<had to sing other peoples songs! Rave on dudes!

Oh? What about 'Pretty Woman'...it was originally written by Roy Orbison?
I think you should get your facts straight, sir!

<>> 7) Queen
<>> I remember hearing We Will Rock You at a hocky game and I thought it was
<> ^^^^^
<> hockey
<>
<>> really cool. And then they used that other song by them. I forget the
<>> name, but it's really long and sounds weird and everything. Anyway, they
<>> used it in Wayne's World, which I thought was an excellent choice. So
<>
<>It's called 'Bohemian Rhapsody', of their 1975 album, "A Night At the Opera".
<
<No wonder I didn't know what its called. Bohemian Rhapsody of their 1975
<album A Night At the Opera is a really weird title. I don't even get it.

You're TOO young to understand or appreciate the significance of it.

<Another guy told me it was called Bavarian Rapsody and I think that is
<more likely. I just heard it again and it seems like they are singing about
<beer at one part.

BZZZT...wrong again, sir...it is called 'Bohemian Rapsody'. You're not
doing too good today are you, sir?

<>> I figured that if they do both of these songs they must be pretty good.
<>> So I bought Toys in the Attick. But it doesn't sound anything like them.
<> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
[...]
<> ^^^^^^^^^^
<> Aerosmith
<>
<>> Vixen (bitchin babes).
<>
<>
<>Could you at least learn a little bit about the music you listen to before
<>you post messages like this? Do you REALLY want the whole world to know
<>what a total ignoramus you are?

I'm afraid this person is correct, sir...I would certainly consider you an
ignoramous!

<Yeah, really. Like you know anything. I made my arguments above there and
<if there are any that are not clear I doubt it. Are you like a geeser old
<mom or something? Cause my mom doesn't know any of these songs either. But
<so what? These are objectively better than Percy Como and Bobby Mathis and
<and Barbra Stisand and those guys.

...that shoud be Perry Como and Barbara Streisand.

<Some people are really dense.

...and you're the perfect example!!!

<Fred
<
<....... ....... ....... .......
<....... .. ... .. .. ..
<.... ....... ....... .. .. rockin hit machine guy
<.... .. . .. .. ..
<.... .. ... ....... .......

Goodbye, sir!
Mark
--
`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`
`,`,Mark Miller,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`DELICIOUS!,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`

ERIC JOSEPH LAMB

Mar 11, 1992, 4:07:32 PM3/11/92
In no particular order:

Yes
Rush
Emerson, Lake & Palmer
Pink Floyd
Cream
The Jimi Hendrix Experience
the Who

Hon. Mention: Allman Bros., REM, Led Zeppelin (ack!), the Police

Eric Lamb |\ "Funny thing about weekends when /|
(ejl...@eos.ncsu.edu) |/ you're unemployed: they don't mean \|
North Carolina State |\ quite so much; you just get to hang /|
University |/ out with all your workin' friends..." \|
Les Claypool, PRIMUS

John Fereira

Mar 11, 1992, 4:10:18 PM3/11/92
In article <1992Mar10.2...@news.cs.brandeis.edu> yo...@binah.cc.brandeis.edu writes:

|Well- let's start with yet another "definition" of the word "greatest" before
|I proceed. In order for me to consider any band (or performer, which I won't
|hesitate to include here where applicable) as one of the greats, it/he/she
|must be:
|
|1. Innovative - this doesn't necessarily have anything to do with complexity!
|2. Influential - must significantly affect the subsequent course of musical
| styles and history
|3. Consistent - must have a decent number of solid and coherent albums to date
|
|Popularity, technical wizardry, and individual tastes are fairly irrelevant
|(although in case of a tie or a debatable entry, my likes and dislikes will, of
|course, kick in.)

Thanks for providing a definition of "greatest". It would be interesting
to summarize the results of this thread and rate each group based on
innovation, influence and consistancy.

|So here goes-
|
|1. The Beatles
|2. Led Zepellin
|3. Yes
|4. Frank Zappa
|5. Bruce Springsteen
|6. Bob Marley and the Wailers
|7. REM
|
|OK, somebody's gonna lynch me for this, but doesn't it seem like half the

Get a rope.

I pretty much agree on your list. There are a few others that I would
include that I've seen in other lists and one that I haven't seen in any.

David Bowie
Prince
Allman Brothers

and one I haven't seen.

The Beach Boys.

If I'm going to add some favorites.

Gentle Giant (Innovative - high, Influential - low, Consistancy - fairly high)
Rennaissance (Innovative - high, Influential - low, Consistancy - fairly high)
Elton John (medium, high, high)

--
+=============================================================================+
| John Fereira Al Bundy for President
| jo...@auspex.com "He's as good as the next guy" |
+=============================================================================+

Craig Singer

Mar 11, 1992, 2:43:40 PM3/11/92
Here's my vote:
---------------

1. Rush - Artistic Brilliance , and only 3 guys w/all that sound!
*2. Yes - More brilliance over long time period. Great tour in '91!
3. Van Halen - "party band" of all time!
4. Queensryche - Concept metal, incredible live!
*5. Led Zeppelin- Pioneers, helped set standard.
*6. Boston - Best 3-album broken up band around
*7. Asia - Another few-album broken up great band

* indicates that these bands' members continue to contribute to
rock and roll in various combinations. Hats off to them!!

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
* Ericsson Network Systems * "A Sprit With a Vision *
* exu...@exu.ericsson.se * Is a Dream With a Mission" *
* Craig M. Singer * - N. Peart *
* Above opinions (if any) are mine :)* Roll The Bones!! *
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

sc...@ns1.cc.lehigh.edu

Mar 11, 1992, 6:37:24 PM3/11/92
My list:

Kinks
XTC
the Madness
Elvis Costello and the Attractions
Velvet Underground
Wire
King Crimson

Stefano

DAVID A LISOGURSKI

Mar 11, 1992, 7:42:09 PM3/11/92
Here's one man's opinion:

1. Pink Floyd
2. Roger Waters (although, I don't think this is legal, so...)
2. Queen
3. Led Zeppelin
4. Rolling Stones
5. Beatles
6. David Bowie
7. U2

--Dave

PS. Honorable mentions to.....
The Police, The Kinks, Neil Young, Clapton, Elton John,
Peter Gabriel/Phil Collins/Genesis,
Midnight Oil (IMHO)

DAVID A LISOGURSKI

Mar 11, 1992, 7:56:49 PM3/11/92
Seeing as how the 'Top 7 Bands' thing took off, I thought I'd try
a top 10 songs & top 10 albums list.

Here's my opinion....

Top 10 Songs
------------
Echoes (Pink Floyd)
Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen)
A Day In The Life (Beatles)
Space Oddity (Bowie)
Layla (Clapton)
Free Bird (Lynyrd Skynyrd)
Aqualung (Jethro Tull)
Bad (U2)
Time (Pink Floyd)
Bat Out Of Hell (Meat Loaf - pushing it a little...?)

what about? ... Born to Run ; Baba O'Riley

Top 10 Albums (or Discs, if you want to get technical)
-------------
The Wall (Pink Floyd)
Dark Side Of The Moon (Pink Floyd)
Led Zeppelin IV
Ziggy Stardust (Bowie)
London Calling (Clash)
Bat Out Of Hell (Meat Loaf)
The Joshua Tree (U2)
Wish You Were Here (Pink Floyd, one more time)
Diesel And Dust (Midnight Oil)
Aqualung (Jethro Tull)

--Dave

PS. I know there's a lot I am missing, but that's the whole point of
having all you guys respond.

Ilsa VanHook

Mar 11, 1992, 5:19:22 PM3/11/92
In article <cubsfan.700186116@camelot> cub...@camelot.bradley.edu (Michael Silverman) writes:
>What I am curious about it what *you* think are the 7 greatest bands
>of all time (and why, if you want to say).

1 - Shonen Knife
2 - Throbbing Gristle
3 - The Yardbirds
4 - The Ramones
5 - Einsturzende Neubaten
6 - DNA
7 - The Beatles

my 'why' is as quirky and arbitrary as anyone else's, so i won't bother...
feel free to borrow reasons from other posts!

Rich Kulawiec

Mar 11, 1992, 8:26:43 PM3/11/92
I'm following up my own article, since someone suggested 23 as the real
number. :-) First, the original top 7:

The Beatles
Bob Dylan
The Rolling Stones
Chuck Berry
The Grateful Dead
Led Zeppelin
Jimi Hendrix

Now, for numbers 8-23, in no particular order:

The Allman Brothers
Bob Marley & The Wailers
Yes
Todd Rundgren
The Band
The Who
Pink Floyd
Buffalo Springfield
Traffic
The Velvet Underground
Humble Pie
Spirit
James Brown
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
Steely Dan
Eric Clapton

See the original article for the criteria used.

---Rsk
--

---Rsk
r...@gynko.circ.upenn.edu

John J. Shroff

Mar 11, 1992, 11:36:59 PM3/11/92
Jane's Addiction

Genesis(1968-1978)

Ned's Atomic Dustbin

The Smiths

Yes

Nine Inch Nails

The Cure

U2

Siouxsie and the Banshees

Nirvana

Martin-Martin Nike

Mar 11, 1992, 2:18:20 PM3/11/92
Couldnt resist:

1.Jethro Tull - Such an eclectic band..
So many styles and lots of great playing.
I listen to this over and over and over again.

2.Fairport Convention -
Such an eclectic band..
So many styles and lots of great playing.
I listen to them over and over and over again,
But not as much as Jethro Tull.

3.Marillion -
Lots of dead nice music,
Well played
and interesting.

4.Hawkwind -
God knows what the attraction is,
But they are pretty funny and
have managed to last so long, so they
deserve some credit.

5.All about eve - Yeah..

6.Steeleye Span

7.Wishbone Ash || Uriah Heep || Fleetwood Mac

--
/\/\artin-/\/\artin Nike, Coventry Polytechnic, England.
JANET:cmg...@uk.ac.coventry

Kaleidoscope

Mar 11, 1992, 12:25:44 PM3/11/92
In <1992Mar10.2...@news.cs.brandeis.edu> yo...@binah.cc.brandeis.edu writes:

Some stuff about how the bands must be influential & consistent...

>1. The Beatles
>2. Led Zeppelin

>3. Yes
>4. Frank Zappa

Really good justified agruements in favour of these 4, even to a non-Yes/Zappa
fan, and someone whose taste for Led Zep is pretty small anyway....
Here's where it breaks dowm

>5. Bruce Springsteen

>Nobody could match emotional catharsis with instrumental drive and compostional
>flair like this guy. Springsteen set a new standard for mainstream rock in the
>mid-Seventies. Yes, he drew on a lot of traditional influences, but what
>popped out on his albums was a whole new creation. And anyone who thinks his
>stuff lacks innovation should check out the complexity of the material on -The
>Wild, The Innocent, and the E Street Shuffle- .

While the above bands were enourmously succesful in botth US & UK, Bruce was for
most of his career (so far) a US phenomena and only became popular in the UK in
the mid-80s, following Live Aid.
While Christgau may have seen the future of rock & roll in Bruce, his style
and sentiments were too American for us.
Which leads me on to thinking about an additional category that the 7 must fill-
internationality - not in the world music sense as the question is restricted
to 'rock'. And Bruce flunks on that one....
(Dire Straits probably occupy a similar place in British hearts)

>6. Bob Marley and the Wailers

>Where would reggae (or the Police, for that matter) be without this guy?

I'd maybe put the Police ahead of Marley for popularising reggae & a return to
'intellect' in pop. But then it's 50/50 really. Depends on how strictly you
regard 'influential in rock music'.

>7. REM

>OK, somebody's gonna lynch me for this, but doesn't it seem like half the

>so-called "alternative" bands that have appeared since -Murmur- sound just like
>REM? Nobody sounded like that before their debut. The band also remains free
>to recreate its sound. They've recently managed to integrate hard rock,
>country, and rap into the mix in various proportions while producing an album
>which still sounds like nothing else on the market (-Out of Time-).

If the toss is between Marley & the Police before then here there's a tussle
with the Byrds. NOT that I'm saying Murmur sounds like the Byrds, but they
'invented', or at least popularised folk/rock, which is a heavy ingredient in
REMs sound. Again their influence is largely restricted to the US college
scene. In fact it seems to dominate the US college scene...
I'd swear by most of what REM have done however, apart from radio song, and they
probably deserve the accolade, because they have been internationally
succesful, if not internationally influential. Can't get TOO picky :-)

So here's my lists of the near misses for consideration
The Byrds
The Who (too British? Popularised Mod dance/rock years before people realised
they could do the same thing with drum machines & be 'seminal')
Rolling Stones - more 'cool' than the Beatles. Elements of adrodgyny & sexual
danger, kept to their r'n'b roots longer. 'Sympathy For The Devil'/'You Can't
Always Get What You Want' has been rewritten 1000 times in the last 4 years.
I can think of more Stones rip-offs than Beatles rip-offs, but the Beatles were
probebly the 'greater' & more influential band, if in a less obvious way.
Velvet Underground - the most popular 'cult' influence around. Probably.
Influenced the theatre of Bowie's performances, the image of most
'alternative' acts in some way, and left behind a legacy of great &
varied music - REM have borrowed from their softer side, many have
borrowed from the noise angle. Seminal in the way they affected rock
criticism, probably :-)
Chic - for bringing rock musician credibility to disco. Seminal, influential on
a list of dire bands, and also succesful.
Pink Floyd for being erm, Pink Floyd... I can't really justify this but they've
undoubtedly been one of the most important bands of the last 25 years, even
though I don't like much of what they do. From psychedelic-pop to stadium
dinosaurs, excessive stage shows & horrible concept LP/films.

I'll ignore any punk/post-punk/New Wave acts as it's difficult to see what is
really 'seminal' yet - it's too much clouded in my mind with bands I grew up
with and have a strong preference for because of emotional attachment.
Post-punk... Cure, Jesus & Mary Chain, REM, Sonic Youth, the Pastels (although the movement they inspired only existed in the UK), the Smiths, U2.
I could give backed up raeasoning for these but I think it's a bit dodgy as
they're all to greater or lesser extent 'college' type acts, but I believe
that 'rock' did go underground for a great part of the 80s, with most bands
repeating the glories of the 70s, or being more 'pop' in spirit. I know that
all of these aren't neccesarliy the best or original examples in their genre,
BUT they have, or appear to me, to be the actual 'influential' artists as
regarded by those who came after (for example Swell Maps certainly influenced
Sonic Youth but who's heard of the former?). The Cure certainly deserve a
mention for 'longest lasting haircut influence' :-)
The other problem with the 80s was that at times the course of rock, at least
over here, got dangerously parochial & localised. We seem to be moving towards
a more international rock again.

More recent bands that will probably be regarded as 'seminal'/great & highly
influential on things that came after them (To an extent this is just guess-
work. They could dissapear as 'fads', but at the moment these are probably the
biggest influences on 'rock' bands forming today)
US - Jane's Addiction, Guns'n'Roses & Nirvana
The rise of 'rock' again in it's more primal state
UK - My Bloody Valentine & Ride
One screwed sound & structure yet still essentially remained within the rock &
pop context (unlike many other experimental acts), while the latter combined
elements of every 'underground' critical fetish with songs and topped it off by
being young & good looking enough to be a pop band - already theres at least
a 100 bands trying their own variation on this formula in the UK, and a good
few in the US judging by what I've heard. Of course they're hated for the same
reason Nirvana are in the US - we can't allow something to be both succesful
and have the very elements that we've been championing in music for years...

Of course all this latter stuff is likely to be wrong. Ask a 20 year old in the
year 2005 what they were and you'll get a totally different list.

>I can't resist adding my seven faves as well, so here they are:

>1. Bruce Springsteen
>2. Bob Marley
>3. Indigo Girls
>4. Marillion
>5. Dire Straits
>6. Kate Bush
>7. Joan Armatrading/Melissa Etheridge (tie)

I thought this was meant to be bands - stop cheating :-)
Otherwise you can't miss out Dylan, Van Morrison, Brian Eno etc, etc, etc.....

>-Bruce

>"I gotta know how it feels
> I wanna know if love is wild
> I wanna know if love is real" -B. Springsteen
Julian Lawton - Member of the Pop Kid Internationale
`There is no such thing as good music in a vacuum -
Only good listeners' - Everett True - 1991
----------...@p4.cs.man.ac.uk-----------------

Kaleidoscope

Mar 11, 1992, 1:57:06 PM3/11/92
In <1992Mar11....@casbah.acns.nwu.edu> mth...@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Matthew Thorpe) writes:

> 6) Bob Marley and the Whalers

A bit cod reggae for me, and their attitude towards baby mammals leaves me
cold :-)

J.

Ursula J. Hull

Mar 12, 1992, 8:27:53 AM3/12/92

Peter Climie

Mar 12, 1992, 5:54:16 AM3/12/92
d...@ee.mu.OZ.AU (David - the man himself) writes:

>ONE: KYLIE Minogue

Kylie is super - But if you like PSB Then they must be top.
>Bananarama

Mince!
>U2

Fuckin' Mince!

>Pet Shop Boys
Yipee!
>Madonna

MMMMM!
>Janet Jackson

Eh!
>NKO...hmmm.....oops....typo......I mean............Whitney Houston

Plop.
>(BTW, have people heard Bananarama's new album? I got it about a month
>ago; isn't it one of the best albums they've ever done?)

No i've not but I must get it.
>Just a comment.

>David.

Hoi! Where's Tiffany ?
.

--
/---------...@dcs.glasgow.ac.uk--Peter Climie (aka Delbert)-----------\
|"This is the summer of malcontent, this is the winter of your mind" -The Fall|
| "Tell me how does it feel, when your heart grows cold"-The New Order |
\__________________________"Waiter!"-Madness________________________________/

Colin Hotchkiss IE89

Mar 12, 1992, 6:33:03 AM3/12/92
In article <l39f...@cck.coventry.ac.uk> cmg...@cck.coventry.ac.uk (Martin-Martin Nike) writes:
>Couldnt resist:

>3.Marillion -
> Lots of dead nice music,
> Well played
> and interesting.

Someone with excellent taste...

Colin

Andrew Farmer

Mar 12, 1992, 7:44:43 AM3/12/92

1. Blah
2. Blah
3. Blah
4. Blah
5. Blah
6. Blah
7. Blah

Hey, why only seven? that seems like a weird sort of number? Please
can you explain to me because I'm too damn lazy to go and read the original
article and I'd much rather just leap in and ask dumb questions than try
to work out the conext.....

Jim Reid

Mar 12, 1992, 10:42:05 AM3/12/92
In article sue%mir...@merk.com (The Dragon Queen) writes:
>d...@predator.vpharm.com (David A. Pearlman) writes:
>>
>> [an OBVIOUS joke post that was simply hilarious to read]

>Could you at least learn a little bit about the music you listen to before
>you post messages like this? Do you REALLY want the whole world to know
>what a total ignoramus you are?

Oh, thank you David A. Pearlman for making a total ignoramus of this idiot.

I *LOVE* this newsgroup!

"The lady was expectant to have a possible male child of round time."
- Tim Riffle

Jim Reid
j...@titan.kodak.com

Jeffrey Samuel Finn

Mar 12, 1992, 11:50:03 AM3/12/92
>Layla (Clapton)

Uh.... wasn't Layla done by another artist before Clapton???

JeFFFiNN
------------------
If I knew what I was doing, why did I Choose 4 more years of School???

William J. Heights FOREVER!!!!!!!

Peter Climie

Mar 12, 1992, 9:38:37 AM3/12/92
wo...@fraser.sfu.ca (Edmund Wong) writes:

>In article <1992Mar11.1...@dcs.glasgow.ac.uk> clim...@dcs.glasgow.ac.uk (Peter Climie) writes:
>>Ok so some arent 'rock'n'roll' but they are bands
>>
>>NEw Order
>>Joy Division
>>The Fall

> Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't New Order the same as Joy Division?
>Like wasn't that their old name?

You are wrong!

3 of New Order were in Joy D.

The singer Of J.D killed himself and Barney took over singing
adding Gillian
to the line up.

New order sound very different.

It is loading more messages.