Hohner Gola 414

KEITH ANDERSON

Nov 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/6/98
I have a Hohner Gola 414 for sale in absolutely new condition.I am
getting various different opinions about its value ranging from $3,000
to $10,000 US dollars. It is about 25 years old. Can anyone give me an
approximate value?

Jeroen Nijhof

Nov 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/10/98

The Hohner Gola 414 is Hohner's top of the range instrument,
absolutely world class. In the German accordion newspaper Intermusik,
the asking price for 'as new' Gola 414-s seems to be DM22000 always,
which is about $13,000.

But if you are talking about that kind of figures, I would get an
independent valuation -- one hears horror stories of malicious
repairers that have replaced the Gola reeds by Morino reeds.
Still quite nice, but not as nice.
For instance the House of Musical Traditions and Ernst Deffner
will do appraisals, for $25 to $30 (based on physical inspection)

--
Jeroen Nijhof J.H.B....@aston.ac.uk
Accordion Links http://www-th.phys.rug.nl/~nijhof/accordions.html

Robert Berta

Nov 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/13/98
The Gola "can be" a very good instrument. Unfortunatelly as in most of the high
end Hohners, the maintenance is a nightmare at times and often lousy
technicians can ruin the accordion. I understand that the reeds are specialy
designed to never need tuning (?) and that when they are tuned they are ruined.
Something about the type of metal and plating/surface treatment they receive.
Don't know if this is in fact but I would check into it....best recommendation
is to contact Helmi at the accordion repair school. She knows all about the
Gola and has one in her collection.

I have heard that the selling price for a Gola new is very expensive in the US
and the finest Italian accordions have a better reputation for cost vs. sound.
I am sure that the Hohner afficiandos on this NG will take me to task for this
but this is personal preferrence.

Bob Berta

Jeroen Nijhof <J.H.B....@aston.ac.uk> wrote in article
<1998111011...@penguin.aston.ac.uk>...

BobSmith4

Nov 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/14/98
>The Gola "can be" a very good instrument.

Yes, indeed. I got an opportunity to play one a Helmi's school. It was very
nice. My only complaint was that the bass switches were not the same as
those standardized years ago. The "Alto" switch was missing (that is the
one in which the two highest registers of the bass section are activated.)
I imagine that if one were to order a new Gola, that one could specify
the switches. My ear is not good enough to determine the other switches
just by listening, so I cannot tell about them.

Bob

SNAV88

Nov 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/14/98
<<
I have heard that the selling price for a Gola new is very expensive in the US
and the finest Italian accordions have a better reputation for cost vs. sound.
I am sure that the Hohner afficiandos on this NG will take me to task for this
but this is personal preferrence.

Bob Berta>>

Isn't it surprising that one does not find many pros using a Gola? I only
stumbled across two....Christian diMaggio, and Andy Arcari. Christian indicated
to me that they gave it to him for publicity. Christian requested Giulietti to
build him a similar instrument on that same basis.....free. Andy, on the other
hand, retailed Hohner, I believe, after leaving Excelsior.

If the highest paid accordionist...the great Magnante, didn't use a Gola, then
the question arises....why? That's quite an investment with little or no
return except self satisfaction.

Steve Navoyosky

jnatoli

Nov 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/15/98

> Isn't it surprising that one does not find many pros using a Gola? I only
> stumbled across two....Christian diMaggio, and Andy Arcari. Christian indicated
> to me that they gave it to him for publicity. Christian requested Giulietti to
> build him a similar instrument on that same basis.....free. Andy, on the other
> hand, retailed Hohner, I believe, after leaving Excelsior.
>
> If the highest paid accordionist...the great Magnante, didn't use a Gola, then
> the question arises....why? That's quite an investment with little or no
> return except self satisfaction.
>
> Steve Navoyosky

Steve,

The Gola is used a lot more frequently in Canada than in the US. Joe Petric and
most of my other colleagues used them. Also Stephen Hussoung uses a Gola (he
studied in Canada). The Gola is a good instrument (albeit expensive and
overpriced). Their reeds were always much stronger than the Giulietti. Never any
free bass choking of reeds when playing strongly as I have always been plauged with
on the Giulietti. It's a darn good accordion for the professional "Free Bass"
concert artist IMHO. I wouldn't see Magnante or any other artist needing this
instrument however if they don't play free bass. That's why Magnante never had one
most likely. Lots of other manufacturers seemed to have found the right formula
for strong reeds in the right hand, but other than the Hohner Gola and Titano, I've
never seen one (including Giulietti) who had ever found that same formula for a
strong free bass left hand.

Best,
Joe

Gary Blair

Nov 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/18/98

Message text written by SNAV88

>Isn't it surprising that one does not find many pros using a Gola? I only
stumbled across two....Christian diMaggio, and Andy Arcari. Christian
indicated
to me that they gave it to him for publicity. Christian requested Giulietti
build him a similar instrument on that same basis.....free. Andy, on the
other
hand, retailed Hohner, I believe, after leaving Excelsior.>>

We have quite a few Gola players in Scotland. There was gentleman who
collected
them and had 14 or so , in his collection. When he died his wife sold them
off and
they were quickly bought up. I personally don't rate them ( I have tried at
least 5)
nor do I rate Hohner's in general.
Sorry , but that's the way I feel.
Regards
Gary Blair (Scotland)
ps It was more to do with the action of the keyboard than anything else.

accl...@yahoo.ca

Jan 20, 2015, 10:21:00 PM1/20/15
On Friday, November 6, 1998 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, KEITH ANDERSON wrote:
> I have a Hohner Gola 414 for sale in absolutely new condition.I am
> getting various different opinions about its value ranging from $3,000
> to $10,000 US dollars. It is about 25 years old. Can anyone give me an
> approximate value?

I just noticed the date on this conversation is from 1998. But...if anyone is reading this now in 2015, does anyone have a source to obtain Hohner Gola reeds? I love this accordion but every time I have an issue with a reed I'm afraid I won't be able to fix it because I don't have the reeds to replace it.
David
www.acclarion.ca

ciao_accordion

Feb 19, 2015, 9:31:32 AM2/19/15
hey david,

the only REAL source in the USA for a reed-repair on
a Gola is going to be Helmi Harrington, at the World of
Accordions museum and foundation, as she has many Gola's
in the collection, and probably some for parts

the true original Gola reed is quite special, nearly
unique in the accoridon world, and the technology
to make them is lost.

the reed uses a special Stainless Steel, yet is not brittle,
an amazing achievement, THEN Gola also crafted a treatment
method to "equalize" the volume of the different reed-blocks
and reed sizes... another totally lost art...

you shouldn't be having issues with Gola reeds, BTW,
so here's hoping you didn't buy one on ebay that
had the reeds switched out (it's happened a LOT)

there are no issues or problems when spot-tuning
his reeds, just remember tune the accordion to
ITSELF (as it was from the original Provino of Gola)
and not to a rigid, digitally perfect tuning

ciao

Ventura

yes i still have mine

thev...@gmail.com

Mar 21, 2015, 6:38:01 PM3/21/15
I have to fix a key on my Gola 414. I have no problems doing that, but I can't figure out how to get the spindle out that holds the keys in place. I've removed the end caps and can see the rod on both ends - do I tap it out, gently or is there some other way to do it? Thanks for any and all advice.

DoN. Nichols

Mar 21, 2015, 8:16:42 PM3/21/15
No experience with the brand or model in question, but I would
first have to ask -- is there clearance to the sides so the rod can
slide the bearing shaft straight out? If so, yes, just push it gently
-- perhaps a light tap to start it.

You might want to make another shaft of the same diameter, or
perhaps a little smaller to follow it, so all the other keys are held in
place, and you can pull the original shaft just far enough ahead of the
pusher to let the key be removed without a pile of other keys
accumulating. (And if there is a bevel on the ends of the shaft, it
might make it easier to slide through the keys, getting them centered.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: <BPdnic...@d-and-d.com> | (KV4PH) Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

ciao_accordion

Mar 21, 2015, 9:40:46 PM3/21/15
> is there some other way to do it?

YES - in this case, let a Professional do it

if you screw it up your $10,000 accordion will be worthless junk

period

pulling the action on a Gola is not a job for a beginner...
there are a LOT of things you can ruin, seriously, and you'll
never get it all fixed right again if you do

this is something you need to LEARN to do on a few crappy accordions first,
working your way up to the point you can do it FOR CERTAIN on a good one

the other point is, if ONE key needs repair and it's the pad in the
Tone Chamber (otherwise you wouldn't need to pull the action) then
you might as well re-pad the whole treble and be done with it... or
you'll be back doing it again and again on other keys who's pads
would have the same age and fatigue factors

there was also a period when Hohner tried the modern glue that was
briefly popular around the Accordion world, (until everyone realised
it breaks down and migrates through the pads to the surface) and if
this is the root cause of your current problem, again a complete
re-pad job is in order (as well as a serious re-furbishing of the plates)

ciao

Ventura

ike milligan

Mar 24, 2015, 7:48:41 PM3/24/15
ciao_accordion <ciao.ac...@gmail.com> wrote in
Gola reeds should not be filed. Only sandpaper should be used, glued
onto a stick. Before tuning a reeds, ascertain why the reed is out of
tune. A lot of times it needs only to be very carefully cleaned and have
the right reed valve put on it, not too stiff. Also it can happen that
the reed-block gets slid a couple millimeters lengthwises even with
gola, and if that happens, the tuning changes. the holes in the block
have to be exactly over the holes in the fondo. Key valves not letting
enough air in will make the reed go flat in pitch. Loose reed or bad
reed valve can also change the pitch. A lot more could be said about
tuning, and the Gola should only be tuned by a very high quality
technician.

ike milligan

Mar 24, 2015, 7:51:05 PM3/24/15
thev...@gmail.com wrote in
It might or might not come out. If you break it, your keyboard is ruined.
Key spindles can get a bit corroded and not come out at all. then you have
to figure out another way. What does it mean you have to fix a key?

ciao_accordion

Mar 24, 2015, 9:20:27 PM3/24/15
> the holes in the block
> have to be exactly over the holes in the fondo.

cool - so that's what the big plate thing is called
also, looks like you survived another Winter too, Ike,
good to hear from ya'

i'll try'n get up there and say Hi sometime this Spring

jane Fondo - maybe i'll remember it if i make that association