"Steinbach" - Who knows that brand??

Michael Höing

Oct 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/24/99
Hello,

I've got a piano from "Steinbach". I think it must be
very old. But I wasn't able to find anything about "Steinbach".
Who knows s.th. about that brand??

Ciao - Michael

piano guy

Oct 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/24/99
Could be English or Canadian or Italian or ???...look inside and see
if you can find more information...complete name...serial number? The
only one with mfg. dates is the Canadian one...Steinbach & Dreher.

--
piano guy--------------------------
email address spamproofed

Michael Höing <hemi...@gmx.net> wrote in message

Max

Oct 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/25/99
Is it an *Alex * Steinbach ?

Michael Höing

Oct 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/25/99

Thanks for your quick answer!

>Could be English or Canadian or Italian or ???...look inside and see
>if you can find more information...complete name...serial number? The
>only one with mfg. dates is the Canadian one...Steinbach & Dreher.

I looked inside but I found no serial number...
But I found three notes (kind of plaque):

Ausstellung Berlin 1896
Ausstellung Düsseldorf 1902
Exposition Paris 1900
(Austellung is the german term for exposition)

A second thing is a piece of paper that seems to be a kind of label
or sticker with old letters (german):
"...her b...."
or
"...ner b...." can't read more
There's also a kind of symbol on the sticker - looks like a wing of a
hawk or s.th. like that.
Refering to the piano's origin I can say that my family got from a
professor from "Bochum im Ruhrgebiet" (Germany) 30 years ago.
But none does know anything more about it. So I can say that it
must be at least 33-35 years old (but I think it must be older....looks
that way!).

Ciao - Michael

Niklas Eliasson

Oct 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/25/99

Hi!

Without a serial number or more describtions of the
way it looks (type of legs, etc) it is hard to guess
the year. Your piano is most likely European and not
Canadian (after all, it takes som effort to transport a
piano over the ocean). There were at least three manufacturers in
Euprope, one in Turin, Italy (the largest), one in
Dusseldorf and one in Berlin. The italian firm was founded
1910 and the other two before 1925. It is hard to find more
data. Since you have medals inside from the century shift,
I would guess that the piano is german. My guess is also
that Steinbach stopped their business (like several other german
brands) during or just after the WWII, but that's just a
guess. If they continued, I think there would be some data
more easily available.

Best regards

Niklas Eliasson
Vienna

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

b...@thepianosource.com

Oct 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/26/99
"Max" <Max...@connect.com.> wrote:

Victor's of Miami for years imported pianos that it sold under the
store name. As I recall it was Steinbach or something very close to
that. Perhaps you have one of them? I think at one time they were
made by Aeolian and then by a Korean maker. Not sure about this, part
of a hazy experience in Miami visiting Victor's which is almost a
piano must see to believe.
--
Bob Shapiro - - located in paradise (southwest Florida)
A retail salesperson dealing in major brands with years of

Michael Höing

Oct 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/27/99

Thanks for all your postings. But what should I
do know? Has anyone tips for me?

Ciao - Michael

Wayne Land

Oct 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/29/99
Check to see if the piano has a separate plate or "plaque" on the fall
board that might have been added in order to cover the true name of the
piano and check inside the piano on the cast iron plate or "harp" to see
if the name "Steinbach" appears there in raised lettering. You may be
able to determine if the piano is actually a Steinbach or if it is one
of the gray market pianos sold by that South Florida dealer. These gray
market pianos called "Steinbach" or "Steinbeck" are usually Samick or
Young Chang pianos (some others were used as well). The purpose of the
deception of brand name is to attempt to sell the pianos as "new"
without bringing down the rath of the actual manufacturer (manufacturers
do not want their new pianos sold by unauthorized dealers!)

I hope this helps.

Wayne Land
http://www.musicplay.com

Yoogi

Oct 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/29/99
I'm prettty sure the same stencil name was used in Canada... after a small
town nsmed Steinbach near Winnipeg.

I sort of disagree with the purpose. I think it is more like the
manufacturer will do anything to get more pianos into the market and if
someone promises to buy say 300 pieces (that's what Kawai wanted from me in
the late 80's) they will be able to sell the piano next door to their dealer
without disrupting the dealer too much and create more competition. ???
hmmm?