Who uses click tracks?

Brian Kauffman

Sep 28, 1994, 6:17:08 PM9/28/94
I'm just curious how typical/widespread the use of a clicktrack is.
In what situations is it the norm, common, or uncommon?
Has anyone encountered (eg) studio drummer interviews refering to this?

-Brian

Chris 'Coz' Costello

Sep 29, 1994, 12:52:44 PM9/29/94

My current band does about 50-60% sequenced stuff, so I play
with a click fairly often, both recording and live. The way
we do it presently is by running a seperate line out of the
keyboard with just the click (this will only work if the keyboard
has multiple outputs that can be assigned independently). This
line goes into a 4-track. I also put two Pressure Zone Mic's
out on the stage so I have everything else in my headphones.
The added bonus is that we can record ourselves at will. Not
tremendous quality, but good enough for reviewing performances,
etc.

You could also MIDI out from the sequencer and into a drum machine,
running your headphones straight from the drum machine or into
a mixer/4-track.

I've gotten fairly comfortable with the click, although I'd be
hard pressed to say why. Maybe I've got good time. Then again,
maybe not.

Hope that helped. Any other suggestions?

Later,
COZ

--
- - - -- - - - -- - - -- - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - -- - - -- - -- - -- - ---
- Chris 'COZ' Costello cl...@midway.uchicago.edu -

Paul Mitchell

Sep 30, 1994, 5:23:09 PM9/30/94

>>I'm just curious how typical/widespread the use of a clicktrack is.
>>In what situations is it the norm, common, or uncommon?
>>Has anyone encountered (eg) studio drummer interviews refering to this?

If the rhythm section is playing together, and there won't be extensive
overdubs in the RHYTHM tracks, it isn't necessary or valuable to use a
click. If EVERYTHING is being recorded separately (drums, then bass, then
chord instruments), I'd recommend it so there will be agreement as to where
the beat is, and to make sure the tempo is correct. When working with MIDI,
a click or some regular rhythm track is a must.

If you've never worked with a metronome or click, practice before you record.
It is a discipline unto itself. Assuming adequate volume, if you hear the
click clearly, you are probably not on the beat!
--
Paul Evans Mitchell <mitc...@panix.com>
212-858-1676 Follow your bliss.

Jukka A Virtanen

Sep 30, 1994, 11:12:05 AM9/30/94

We usually have some MIDI-sequenced stuff on our songs, so we have one
track with an SMPTE time code on it and take the click from a keyboard
or drum machine. We only use the click for recording drums, not with
instruments nor when playing live.

A click is probably used whenever there are MIDI-sequenced parts in a
song. But I think a click is very common when recording in a studio
anyway. On live performances you don't see too many people using a
click.
JUKKA A VIRTANEN email: juvi...@cc.helsinki.fi
economics major at U of Turku mail: YO-kyla 24 A 5
Helsinki Flyers ultimate 20540 Turku

Scott Whittle

Oct 3, 1994, 10:10:09 AM10/3/94
I use it every now and again. especially when practicing with my band.
Everyone is soooooooo quick to blame the drummer for not keeping time
but I have found that the rest of the band can be pretty awefull too.
I used to play in a church band for several years and everything was
sequencers galore so I would play with that live, but in general I don't
play "live" with a click. I also use a click when I'm feeling tired or
just not a good "time keeping" frame of mind. At least a practice isn't
wasted and I don't get frustrated by moving around the tempo.
Interestingly enough, I've found that most other musicians find it an
asset that I can play to a click. I suppose its something you develop.
Great for recording.

--
Scott Whittle (drx) d...@chinet.chinet.com
"Ding-a-ding-dang my Dang-a-long-ling-long" Ministry-Jesus built my Hotrod

jonsc...@delphi.com

Oct 16, 1994, 12:16:13 AM10/16/94
I have almost always worked with a click in the studio, and on some
occasions, the feel wasn't right and portions of the track were "fixed"
so they would sound better.

Perfect time doesn't always result in a perfect track. Except for techno
and some other dance wave stuff, music needs to "breathe" a little.

Then again, there's no excuse for BAD time, either.

Never used a click live though, except where there are necessary
sequences going on (percussion loops, and synching to video).

Jon "The Great Bermuda" Schwartz

CONGA

Oct 28, 1994, 7:36:05 AM10/28/94
In article <36cq14$r...@ncar.ucar.edu>, ka...@juniper.cgd.ucar.edu (Brian
Kauffman) writes:

These days any producer is going to insist you use a click. they are happy
to spend the time and money on a guitar, but not on the drums! The click
is your friend.....What a bunch of bullshit!! Fight for percussion
Improv!! FEEL LIVES.