Wanted Man

Timothy Herrick

Jul 9, 2001, 2:00:39 PM7/9/01
Who wrote Wanted Man?

This Johnny Cash classic, which might be seen as a follow up to Folsum Prison
Live for the hallowed Man in Black, has of course, Bob Dylan as solo writing
credit.

Thematically of course, it’s Dylan, paranoia, women troubles, the need to
conceal idenity to save one’s soul, being pursued by danger and having to
remain moving. In some ways, in a more light hearted fashion, is prescient of
Idiot Wind, and even Love sick.

On the other hand, it’s pure Cash. The sound of course has that driving
country sound Cash personifies and perfects, a man alone trying to make sense
of his life and do the right thing. Johnny Cash, a national treasure, indeed.

I’ve been on a Cash kick of late. Seems the summer started with the usual
Sprinsteen revival, yet another Louvin Brother Jag, and now it’s All Cash,
All the time.

In the liner notes for The Essential Johnny Cash, a terriffic box set
anthologizing three decades of Cash, there’s some personal recollections by
Johnny. It’s kind of funny, because Columbia in a fit of cruelty decded to
drop Johnny Cash from the roster in the 80s. Took a while for Johnny to get
back and do the American Recordings, which not only revived interest in this
truly great artist, but has redifined his career. Rarely, do the latter
recordings of an artist with staying power are so unique, powerful and
original as American Recordings. While, say a Sinatra was stuck doing sappy
novelty things like Duet, Cash recorded songs that are as good as ANYTHING
that came before. But anyway, the line notes have a sardonic tone regarding
Columbia, although Cash declares, I’m proud for of my 28 years with Columbia.
Sure, it would have been nice if they showed him the same respect as Dylan,
or for crissakes, a Billy Joel. But not to be. For the record, the box sets
inclues an extensive selection of Cash’s Sun years.

Anyway, Cash writes: Bob Dylan and I wrote "Wanted Man" in My house at
Hendersonvill. The song was his idea and he wanted me to write it, but I
talked him into contributing at least part of the lyrics."

While wanted man was a hit of sorts, it was certainly the same chart topper
as A Boy Name Sue, Folsum Prison Blues, or any other number of Cash hits,
most of which go uncommented in Cash’s personal and superb liner notes.

Reading this raised several questions in my mind. Why did Cash want to set
the record straight, and use this retrospective release from his old record
company do so? It cannot be a coincidence that Columbia is Dylan’s record
label also. Furthermore, why didn’t Cash get a co-writing credit? Did he ask
for one? I can’t imagine it was because a Dylan only song would have more
commerical attention than a Dylan/Cash song.

I Also can’t see any animoisty between Dylan and Cash over this song writing
credit issue. Certainly they ain’t no Levon and Robbie. The song came after
Cash’s duet with Bob on Nashville Skyline and Bob’s appearance on the Cash TV
show. Dylan always stuck up for Cash when he visited with Nixon at the white
house. Cash of course, appeared in Eat The Document, introduced and supported
Bob at the Grammys during the Slow Train period. Cash hasn’t done any dylan
songs on the American Recordings, which is a shame but Cash did appear at Bob
fest, a great It Aint Me Babe with June by the way. Their relationship
doesn’t seem to be on the personal level of say Bob and Jerry Garcia, but
Cash has always seemed like an older professional friend of dylan, and
perhaps a mentor of sorts regarding the foray into country music.

I thought I had a revelation that perhaps this was Dylan’s first co-writing
experience and because it was new, the co-writing thing wasn’t happening. But
that isn’t true, is it? Dylan’s first co-writing things, and correct me if I
am wrong, had to be the basement tapes, with Manuel on Tears of Rage, Danko
with Wheel on Fire and Levon with Don’t ya tell Herny.

But Those songs seemed to be written very loosely and perhaps the song
writing credits were just done as an after thought.. It’s important to note
that the Flem Snopes of rock and roll, Levon Helm, who remains bittter about
song writing crediits not given to him by Robbie Roberston, never issues
similar accusations concerning the Basement Tape Songs. Of course, he wasn’t
there for most of those recordings. But, I digress.

So, if Wanted Man was not the first, and if we are to believe the 1970 date
of the song, and it may have been done the year before, whatever, it did seem
to the first official if officially unofficial collaboration bwetween Dylan
and another artist. Soon there after, there was I’d Have You Any Time with
George Harrison, the Desire recordings with Levy, who may have been the only
non songwriter musician dylan worked with, then Sign Language with Eric
Clapton. Later of course, there was Silvio with Robert Hunter, the songs I
never heard and hope I never do with Micheal Bolton, and didn’t he do one
with Willie Nelson. Well, the record label readers and scholars among us can
fill us on in the other colloborations.

And indeed, if Wanted Man was the colloboration that Cash claims—and it is
likewise important to note that Dylan has never disputed that claim, although
he has not relisted the song with Cash’s name or offered any publishing
royalities, perhaps a tidy sum considering Cash’s re-releases and that superb
version by George Thoroughgood at Bobfest—clearly, this was a song intended
for one artist.

Which I guess is true for say Sign Language. And Does this make Silvio that
much more unique regarding Dylan colloborations?

Dylan’s colloborations are a footnote, but an important footnote, to Bob
dylan’s songs. Wanted Man seems to be the only one where somebody has claimed
it to be cowritten.

Jmm5074

Jul 9, 2001, 8:20:59 PM7/9/01
Dylan is listed as the writer, though it sounds like a collaboration. Yes,
still amazing that Columbia dropped Cash. Go figure.

Mike M

Will Dockery

Jan 1, 2013, 4:14:23 PM1/1/13
On Monday, July 9, 2001 2:52:04 PM UTC-4, Timothy Herrick wrote:
> Who wrote Wanted Man?
>
> This Johnny Cash classic, which might be seen as a follow up to Folsum Prison
> Live for the hallowed Man in Black, has of course, Bob Dylan as solo writing
> credit.
>
> Thematically of course, it’s Dylan, paranoia, women troubles, the need to
> conceal idenity to save one’s soul, being pursued by danger and having to
> remain moving. In some ways, in a more light hearted fashion, is prescient of
> Idiot Wind, and even Love sick.
>
> On the other hand, it’s pure Cash. The sound of course has that driving
> country sound Cash personifies and perfects, a man alone trying to make sense
> of his life and do the right thing. Johnny Cash, a national treasure, indeed.

[...]

> Anyway, Cash writes: Bob Dylan and I wrote "Wanted Man" in My house at
> Hendersonvill. The song was his idea and he wanted me to write it, but I
> talked him into contributing at least part of the lyrics."
>
> While wanted man was a hit of sorts, it was certainly the same chart topper
> as A Boy Name Sue, Folsum Prison Blues, or any other number of Cash hits,
> most of which go uncommented in Cash’s personal and superb liner notes.
>
> Reading this raised several questions in my mind. Why did Cash want to set
> the record straight, and use this retrospective release from his old record
> company do so? It cannot be a coincidence that Columbia is Dylan’s record
> label also. Furthermore, why didn’t Cash get a co-writing credit? Did he ask
> for one? I can’t imagine it was because a Dylan only song would have more
> commerical attention than a Dylan/Cash song.
>
> I Also can’t see any animoisty between Dylan and Cash over this song writing
> credit issue. Certainly they ain’t no Levon and Robbie. The song came after

[...]

> And indeed, if Wanted Man was the colloboration that Cash claims—and it is
> likewise important to note that Dylan has never disputed that claim, although
> he has not relisted the song with Cash’s name or offered any publishing
> royalities, perhaps a tidy sum considering Cash’s re-releases and that superb
> version by George Thoroughgood at Bobfest—clearly, this was a song intended
> for one artist.
>
> Which I guess is true for say Sign Language. And Does this make Silvio that
> much more unique regarding Dylan colloborations?
>
> Dylan’s colloborations are a footnote, but an important footnote, to Bob
> dylan’s songs. Wanted Man seems to be the only one where somebody has claimed
> it to be cowritten.

With "Wanted Man" on my mind, I went looking and found this.

So Johnny Cash claims an uncredited collanoration on this one.

really real

Jan 1, 2013, 7:34:29 PM1/1/13

>> Who wrote Wanted Man?

Wanted man by Dominic Behan, wanted man by Johnny Cash
Wanted man by Martin Carthy, wanted man by Elmore James
But of all that I've written were a lot of other's claims
And a lot of James Damiamo in a thing that turned out bad

>> This Johnny Cash classic, which might be seen as a follow up to Folsum Prison
>> Live for the hallowed Man in Black, has of course, Bob Dylan as solo writing
>> credit.
>>
>> Thematically of course, it�s Dylan, paranoia, women troubles, the need to
>> conceal idenity to save one�s soul, being pursued by danger and having to
>> remain moving. In some ways, in a more light hearted fashion, is prescient of
>> Idiot Wind, and even Love sick.
>>
>> On the other hand, it�s pure Cash. The sound of course has that driving
>> country sound Cash personifies and perfects, a man alone trying to make sense
>> of his life and do the right thing. Johnny Cash, a national treasure, indeed.
>
> [...]
>
>> Anyway, Cash writes: Bob Dylan and I wrote "Wanted Man" in My house at
>> Hendersonvill. The song was his idea and he wanted me to write it, but I
>> talked him into contributing at least part of the lyrics."
>>
>> While wanted man was a hit of sorts, it was certainly the same chart topper
>> as A Boy Name Sue, Folsum Prison Blues, or any other number of Cash hits,
>> most of which go uncommented in Cash�s personal and superb liner notes.
>>
>> Reading this raised several questions in my mind. Why did Cash want to set
>> the record straight, and use this retrospective release from his old record
>> company do so? It cannot be a coincidence that Columbia is Dylan�s record
>> label also. Furthermore, why didn�t Cash get a co-writing credit? Did he ask
>> for one? I can�t imagine it was because a Dylan only song would have more
>> commerical attention than a Dylan/Cash song.
>>
>> I Also can�t see any animoisty between Dylan and Cash over this song writing
>> credit issue. Certainly they ain�t no Levon and Robbie. The song came after
>
> [...]
>
>> And indeed, if Wanted Man was the colloboration that Cash claims�and it is
>> likewise important to note that Dylan has never disputed that claim, although
>> he has not relisted the song with Cash�s name or offered any publishing
>> royalities, perhaps a tidy sum considering Cash�s re-releases and that superb
>> version by George Thoroughgood at Bobfest�clearly, this was a song intended
>> for one artist.
>>
>> Which I guess is true for say Sign Language. And Does this make Silvio that
>> much more unique regarding Dylan colloborations?
>>
>> Dylan�s colloborations are a footnote, but an important footnote, to Bob
>> dylan�s songs. Wanted Man seems to be the only one where somebody has claimed

nate

Jan 3, 2013, 6:52:10 PM1/3/13
On Jan 1, 7:34 pm, really real <reallyr...@shaw.ca> wrote:
> >> Who wrote Wanted Man?
>
> Wanted man by Dominic Behan, wanted man by Johnny Cash
> Wanted man by Martin Carthy, wanted man by Elmore James
> But of all that I've written were a lot of other's claims
> And a lot of James Damiamo in a thing that turned out bad

LOL - yeah, that sorta fits as a verse....

but instead of ABBA, redo it as BABA or BBAA...

;-)

- nate