RMCR: A Night on the town w/Martha Argerich

Jeffrey Friedman

Mar 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/26/00
First the concert: a truly memorable evening of wonderful
music making. Argerich played the Bach Partita #2, which
I enjoyed Andras Schiff playing in NY last month, but Argerich
was a revelation, bringing out parts
of the counterpoint I never heard before, with all parts
_singing_. The Chopin Barcarolle was a tour de force,
the Scherzo #3 a touch on the fast side. Though I am not
a fan of the Prokofiev Sonata #7, Argerich owns this piece
and made a great case for it - spectacular playing.
She pulled the Juilliard Quartet along into a first rate
playing of the Schumann Quintet (the best parts for me
were where you could almost hear her dragging them along).
Then the Ravel La Valse with Nelson Freire, to my ears
even better than on the older performance just released on
DVD. Two encores with Freire (what where they, anyone?).
With an even longer wilder ovation than she got a week and
a half ago, not even turning out the stage lights worked
to quiet the audience down, they finally had to send out
a guy to shut down the piano, and she still got a call or
two more.

RMCR was out in force, almost 20 met pre-concert at the
appointed poster. Pictures to go up on my web site by
tomorrow night (URL to follow). Extra points to whoever can
identify the unnamed (hey, I didn't take notes and I
don't remember names good, okay?). See Jeremy Cook
receive the ceremonial jar of Marmite. Soon.

Jeffrey F. Friedman
je...@friedman.com
j...@ix.netcom.com

Jeremy Cook

Mar 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/26/00
In article <8bkbvk$2q1$1...@slb7.atl.mindspring.net>,

Jeffrey Friedman <j...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> First the concert: a truly memorable evening of wonderful
> music making. Argerich played the Bach Partita #2, which
> I enjoyed Andras Schiff playing in NY last month, but Argerich
> was a revelation, bringing out parts
> of the counterpoint I never heard before, with all parts
> _singing_. The Chopin Barcarolle was a tour de force,
> the Scherzo #3 a touch on the fast side. Though I am not
> a fan of the Prokofiev Sonata #7, Argerich owns this piece
> and made a great case for it - spectacular playing.

I would not have been surprised if the piano had begun to levitate
during the final movement of the Prokofiev. It was almost terrifying
to see and hear such supervoltage virtuosity dispensed with such ease.
I can't put much more into words about the program just yet, as I am
still trying to digest this incredible experience.

> She pulled the Juilliard Quartet along into a first rate
> playing of the Schumann Quintet (the best parts for me
> were where you could almost hear her dragging them along).
> Then the Ravel La Valse with Nelson Freire, to my ears
> even better than on the older performance just released on
> DVD. Two encores with Freire (what where they, anyone?).

I believe the two-piano encore was the Valse from Rachmaninoff's Suite
No. 2, Op. 17. The one-piano four hands duet that they concluded with
was "Laideronnette, Empress of the Pagodas" from Ravels' "Mother Goose"
suite. Interestingly, such was the euphoria (near-hysteria in some
corners of the hall) following "La Valse", that afterwards many swore
that they had played three encores, not two. And to be honest, I was
so intoxicated by the experience that I only remember two, yet I cannot
swear that there was not a third encore (before the Rachmaninoff).
Hopefully someone who was not quite so overwhelmed as I was will be
able to settle the question.

> With an even longer wilder ovation than she got a week and
> a half ago, not even turning out the stage lights worked
> to quiet the audience down, they finally had to send out
> a guy to shut down the piano, and she still got a call or
> two more.

The guy who had the unenviable task of closing the piano was booed with
almost as much gusto as Argerich et al were cheered.

> RMCR was out in force, almost 20 met pre-concert at the
> appointed poster. Pictures to go up on my web site by
> tomorrow night (URL to follow). Extra points to whoever can
> identify the unnamed (hey, I didn't take notes and I
> don't remember names good, okay?). See Jeremy Cook
> receive the ceremonial jar of Marmite. Soon.

I will cherish it always. :-)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

John H

Mar 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/26/00
Got there too late for the picture -- a couple of hundred people on
the sidewalk, couldn't figure out who looked most like internet geeks.

Stunning show -- though I thought it took her about half the Bach to
get organized..

A touch fast in the Chopin Scherzo? Land speed record, I'm thinnking.
Did anyone have a stopwatch on her?

John Harkness

On Sun, 26 Mar 2000 06:58:17 GMT, Jeffrey Friedman <j...@ix.netcom.com>
wrote:

>First the concert: a truly memorable evening of wonderful
>music making. Argerich played the Bach Partita #2, which
>I enjoyed Andras Schiff playing in NY last month, but Argerich
>was a revelation, bringing out parts
>of the counterpoint I never heard before, with all parts
>_singing_. The Chopin Barcarolle was a tour de force,
>the Scherzo #3 a touch on the fast side. Though I am not
>a fan of the Prokofiev Sonata #7, Argerich owns this piece
>and made a great case for it - spectacular playing.

>She pulled the Juilliard Quartet along into a first rate
>playing of the Schumann Quintet (the best parts for me
>were where you could almost hear her dragging them along).
>Then the Ravel La Valse with Nelson Freire, to my ears
>even better than on the older performance just released on
>DVD. Two encores with Freire (what where they, anyone?).

>With an even longer wilder ovation than she got a week and
>a half ago, not even turning out the stage lights worked
>to quiet the audience down, they finally had to send out
>a guy to shut down the piano, and she still got a call or
>two more.
>

>RMCR was out in force, almost 20 met pre-concert at the
>appointed poster. Pictures to go up on my web site by
>tomorrow night (URL to follow). Extra points to whoever can
>identify the unnamed (hey, I didn't take notes and I
>don't remember names good, okay?). See Jeremy Cook
>receive the ceremonial jar of Marmite. Soon.

ESH Tooter

Mar 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/27/00
I planned to be there. I wanted to be there. However, threatened rain for a
two hour drive and no ticket discouraged me at the last minute. Alas, later in
the day I saw a posting here for a ticket. It would have been fun to meet some
of you, and, of course, there was the concert too.

Tooter

Jeffrey Friedman

Mar 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/27/00
In article <8bkbvk$2q1$1...@slb7.atl.mindspring.net>,
Jeffrey Friedman <j...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>RMCR was out in force, almost 20 met pre-concert at the
>appointed poster. Pictures to go up on my web site by
>tomorrow night (URL to follow). Extra points to whoever can
>identify the unnamed (hey, I didn't take notes and I
>don't remember names good, okay?). See Jeremy Cook
>receive the ceremonial jar of Marmite. Soon.

Okay, but pictures are not scaled properly yet.

http://www.friedman.com

aso

Mar 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/27/00
How much does Marmite cost per ounce? Also, "A" seems pretty gutsy to be
showing off that bit of tummy in the first shot . . .

evan johnson

Mar 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/27/00
On Mon, 27 Mar 2000 04:03:05 GMT, Jeffrey Friedman <j...@ix.netcom.com>
wrote:

:In article <8bkbvk$2q1$1...@slb7.atl.mindspring.net>,
: Jeffrey Friedman <j...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
:Okay, but pictures are not scaled properly yet.
:
:http://www.friedman.com

Amazing how all you guys look pretty much the same! :)

Can't help with the overwhelming whiteness, but I wish I had been
there to add a little youth and skinniness to the proceedings... maybe
next time :)

Evan

Evan Johnson, music composition major, Yale University
*****The Naxos/Arte Nova Recommended Recordings List*****
Email evan.johnson@[remove]yale.edu to get a copy or
submit a recording to be added.

Jeremy Cook

Mar 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/27/00
In article <20000326202952...@ng-dc1.aol.com>,

FWIW, there were scads of people outside of Carnegie Hall flashing
their cash, offering $500 and more per ticket. Didn't see anyone
selling, though.

Jeremy Cook

Mar 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/27/00
In article <38dede8f....@news.yale.edu>,

evan.j...@eliyale.edu (evan johnson) wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Mar 2000 04:03:05 GMT, Jeffrey Friedman <j...@ix.netcom.com>
> wrote:
>
> :In article <8bkbvk$2q1$1...@slb7.atl.mindspring.net>,
> : Jeffrey Friedman <j...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> :Okay, but pictures are not scaled properly yet.
> :
> :http://www.friedman.com
>
> Amazing how all you guys look pretty much the same! :)
>
> Can't help with the overwhelming whiteness, but I wish I had been
> there to add a little youth and skinniness to the proceedings... maybe
> next time :)

ARE YOU IMPLYING SOMETHING???

Just kidding. Actually, I just emailed Jeffrey, thanking him for the
best incentive I've yet received to lose some weight. Hmmm, perhaps a
Marmite fast... :-)

Carl Tait

Mar 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/27/00
Euphoric, stunned disbelief.

That's been the near-universal reaction to Argerich's momentous
concert last night. This was music making on a level several
notches above almost anything else to be heard today. Portions
of the recital were so astounding that they are difficult to
describe: my usually-articulate piano teacher was standing in
the lobby after the concert looking mildly dazed and saying
"Phenomenal, just phenomenal."

The (minor) gripes first: the Bach C minor Partita had hard-edged
tone in the opening Grave, but that's the way Argerich likes it
-- it's the same in her recording. The Chopin C# minor Scherzo
was way too fast in the "How dry I am" sections, but it was
hard to care, especially given the beautiful shaping of the
E minor episode and subsequent glorious build-up into the coda.
The Schumann Quintet, as a whole, was less successful than the
rest of the program: the Juilliard Quartet had some serious
intonation problems in the first movement, and their blend
with the piano was never ideal. (They may have been painfully
aware that virtually everyone in the hall would have preferred
to hear more *solo* performances.)

As for the accolades, choose your favorite laudatory adjective
and it will probably apply. Argerich is a master of every aspect
of great piano playing. Her sense of balance was particularly
acute last night: voices and lines emerged with shimmering
clarity at precisely the right moments. Oddly enough, this was
most noticeable in her staggering Prokofiev Seventh Sonata:
huge power without banging, rhythmic precision without sounding
mechanical, and intense clarity of textures that illuminated
unfamiliar aspects of the piece. The last two pages were
literally beyond belief: they *cannot* be played with such
simultaneous abandon and control; ferocity and ringing tone;
spontaneity and architectural projection; wildness and lucidity.

The concluding performance of Ravel's "La Valse" with Nelson Freire
was played to such attentive silence that one might have thought
the hall was empty. When the magnificent performance ended, the
silence was replaced with the frenetic screams and applause of
thousands. Argerich, as always, appeared appreciative but almost
embarrassed by the furor. After a near-riot of stomping and cheers,
Argerich and Freire returned to play two encores that Jeremy Cook
has already identified (the Waltz from Rachmaninoff's Second Suite
and "Laideronnette" from Ravel's Mother Goose Suite).

Returning to earth, the pre-concert r.m.c.r. photo session was a treat
as well. It was fun to attach familiar names to unfamiliar faces.
Jeffrey, thanks for posting your pictures so quickly (and for taking
them in the first place!); here are a few IDs of Mystery Folks.
I add my own apologies for the names I don't remember; given the
circumstances, it's amazing I remember any at all.

2. A is Neil McKelvie
5. D is Jeremy from the side (and me looking caught in the headlights)
6. E is Chloe Pajerek (also in 8 and 9)
10. ??? is Paul Geffen
12. ?? (and 13. ?? #1) are Neil McKelvie again

--
Carl Tait IBM T. J. Watson Research Center
cdt...@us.ibm.com Hawthorne, NY 10532

Simon Roberts

Mar 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/27/00
Carl Tait (ta...@diamond.cs.columbia.edu) wrote:

[snip]

: As for the accolades, choose your favorite laudatory adjective

: and it will probably apply.

Would Robert Layton be able to use "selfless"?

Simon

Jeremy Cook

Mar 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/27/00
In article <8bn9q0$i...@diamond.cs.columbia.edu>,

ta...@diamond.cs.columbia.edu (Carl Tait) wrote:
> Euphoric, stunned disbelief.
>
> That's been the near-universal reaction to Argerich's momentous
> concert last night. This was music making on a level several
> notches above almost anything else to be heard today. Portions
> of the recital were so astounding that they are difficult to
> describe: my usually-articulate piano teacher was standing in
> the lobby after the concert looking mildly dazed and saying
> "Phenomenal, just phenomenal."
>
> The (minor) gripes first: the Bach C minor Partita had hard-edged
> tone in the opening Grave, but that's the way Argerich likes it
> -- it's the same in her recording.

I thought she was a bit nervous for the first minute or two, and that
may have contributed as well. I should add that I dream of playing one
one-hundredth as well in the privacy of my music room!

> The Chopin C# minor Scherzo
> was way too fast in the "How dry I am" sections, but it was
> hard to care, especially given the beautiful shaping of the
> E minor episode and subsequent glorious build-up into the coda.

Yes, it was more Argerich than Chopin. Too amazing to make me complain.

> The Schumann Quintet, as a whole, was less successful than the
> rest of the program: the Juilliard Quartet had some serious
> intonation problems in the first movement, and their blend
> with the piano was never ideal. (They may have been painfully
> aware that virtually everyone in the hall would have preferred
> to hear more *solo* performances.)

Among the throng of friends that went with me was my chamber music
partner (a cellist). She described the Schumann as "highly
professional sight-reading," since they had so much trouble maintaining
smooth ensemble. Was anyone else as distracted as we were by the
sideshow put on by the first violin? His wild physical gyrations let
me to believe that he thought "St. Vitus' Dance" was on the program. I
had to close my eyes, as my fear that his chair would slip out from
under him and send him crashing to the floor made it hard to
concentrate on the music.

[remainder of review snipped]

Carl, thanks for the insightful review. To the rest of your comments,
I can't add a thing. I remain in a stupor over the experience.

James Kahn

Mar 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/27/00

I managed to buy a ticket (for much much less than $500), but I was
out there for nearly an hour, and had almost given up hope. In the
meantime, I missed all the photographic fun. But my impression
is that there were a lot of people who did not manage to get in.
--
Jim
New York, NY

John H

Mar 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/27/00
On 27 Mar 2000 12:35:01 GMT, si...@dept.english.upenn.edu (Simon
Roberts) wrote:

No. He would probably have used "wilful"

John Harkness

Bob Reith

Mar 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/27/00
Time to chime in.

I was mesmerized by the playing of Argerich. Of all the reviews I've read,
including the one by James Oestreich in today's NY Times (www.nytimes.com),
Carl's reflected most closely what I heard (thanks, Carl, for putting into
words what I could not).

Jeremy's correct about the 1st violinist of the Julliard. What a visual
distraction (despite the fact that we went to *hear* the Schumann)!

Sadly, I missed the encores. It was already quite late, by recital standards,
when the ovations transited into the first encore. The friend I was with is a
top-notch violin teacher who is also wheelchair bound. When we discovered that
the Carnegie elevator had broken, that confirmed the decision to leave for I
had parked in a parking garage up near his apartment (around the 100's) and the
garage was closing at 11:30. As it was we didn't get there until 11 pm. Had I
gotten there too late (likely after two encores)... well, it would have been
interesting.

Thanks, Jeff, for posting the pix.

Bob

Pamela - Music Lovers On-Line

Mar 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/27/00
On Mon, 27 Mar 2000 04:05:37 GMT, "aso" <ays...@merle.acns.nwu.edu>
wrote:

>How much does Marmite cost per ounce? Also, "A" seems pretty gutsy to be
>showing off that bit of tummy in the first shot . . .

What's the story behind the Marmite? I didn't know anyone on this
side of the pond had even heard of it! It's about $3 or $4 for a
bottle that size (125g?)... Being originally from the UK I grew up on
the stuff and am still a closet Marmite eater much to the disgust of
my North American friends. But how did it creep into the lives of
rmcr'ers?

Pamela
www.music-lovers.com

__
www.music-lovers.com
Music Lovers On-Line Superstore - up to 45% discounts on
many best sellers. Classical, Jazz, Pop and much more!

Simon Roberts

Mar 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/27/00
Pamela - Music Lovers On-Line (pam...@music-lovers.com) wrote:

: What's the story behind the Marmite? I didn't know anyone on this

: side of the pond had even heard of it! It's about $3 or $4 for a
: bottle that size (125g?)... Being originally from the UK I grew up on
: the stuff and am still a closet Marmite eater much to the disgust of
: my North American friends. But how did it creep into the lives of
: rmcr'ers?

Well, this one grew up in Australia and England and, thus, is capable of
providing his very own Vegemite/Marmite war -- something he should
probably keep firmly closeted, but it's too late now.

Simon

Bob Taffelsen

Mar 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/27/00
John Harkness worte:

> No. He would probably have used "wilful"

It's not called Typophone for nothin'...

Cheers,

BobT

Roland van Gaalen

Mar 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/27/00
Simon Roberts <si...@dept.english.upenn.edu> wrote:

: Simon

What is marmite? Is it one of those typically English delicacies --
marmot blood pie or mint termite cake made of ground marble and
granite?

Roland van Gaalen
Amsterdam

Pamela - Music Lovers On-Line

Mar 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/27/00
On 27 Mar 2000 18:26:06 GMT, Roland van Gaalen <r...@xs4.xs4all.nl>
wrote:

Marmite is yeast extract, with a few spices added in, salt, garlic,
onions etc. Delicious on toast especially when the toasting has been
done AFTER it's been spread on bread and butter. To anyone who hasn't
grown up with it, the smell is not good :)

Pamela

Simon Roberts

Mar 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/27/00
Roland van Gaalen (r...@xs4.xs4all.nl) wrote:

: What is marmite? Is it one of those typically English delicacies --

: marmot blood pie or mint termite cake made of ground marble and
: granite?

Even better: a thick and dense smooth-textured yeast byproduct of striking
pungency, guaranteed to frighten foreigners.

For rather more than you're likely to want to know, see
http://www.gty.org/~phil/marmite.htm

Not to mention
http://www.ozchannel.com/vegemite/vegemite.html

Simon

Nicolas Hodges

Mar 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/27/00
In article <8bo93u$e7s$1...@news1.xs4all.nl>, Roland van Gaalen
<r...@xs4.xs4all.nl> writes

>Simon Roberts <si...@dept.english.upenn.edu> wrote:
>: Pamela - Music Lovers On-Line (pam...@music-lovers.com) wrote:
>
>: : What's the story behind the Marmite? I didn't know anyone on this
>: : side of the pond had even heard of it! It's about $3 or $4 for a
>: : bottle that size (125g?)... Being originally from the UK I grew up on
>: : the stuff and am still a closet Marmite eater much to the disgust of
>: : my North American friends. But how did it creep into the lives of
>: : rmcr'ers?
>
>: Well, this one grew up in Australia and England and, thus, is capable of
>: providing his very own Vegemite/Marmite war -- something he should
>: probably keep firmly closeted, but it's too late now.
>
>: Simon
>
>What is marmite? Is it one of those typically English delicacies --
>marmot blood pie or mint termite cake made of ground marble and
>granite?

Glad to hear you have an intimate knowledge of the best of English
cuisine.
--
Nic

James Kahn

Mar 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/27/00
In <8bnoma$lur$1...@saltmine.radix.net> s...@Radix.Net (Steven Chung) writes:

>Let me be a dissenter. It was good, but the rock-star (or Renee Fleming!)
>reaction Argerich got was really disproportionate....

I kind of agree--especially with people shouting "Bravo!" when she
first walked out onto the stage, before she'd played anything.

The performances were indeed thrilling, and it was great to have
an enthusiastic audience, but it almost (almost, I say) went too far.
And is she so so much better than, say, Sokolov, who couldn't even fill
up the 92nd St. Y a few months ago?

>--don't tell me the same
>thing would have happened if she actually made regular appearances and the
>audience weren't trying to coax a solo encore out of her so fervently
>(they didn't get it)...

True, but it's a genuine reason for the enthusiasm, especially given
her health problems.

Roger Behrend

Mar 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/27/00
I'm a Vegemite-eating Australian living near NY who attended the
Argerich concert so I feel compelled to contribute to this thread.

Re: Vegemite, I usually get it in NY at Dean and DeLuca's.

Re: the concert, I agree with Carl Tait's eloquent and insightful
review. This was the first time I'd heard Argerich live and I think
that all the superlatives being applied are justified. Her playing in
the first half of the programme seemed truly incandescent. In
particular, her passionate rendition of the formidable Prokofiev
sonata was unforgettable. I thought the only weak-point in the
concert was the Schumann quintet, in which the playing of the
Juilliard Quartet seemed somewhat lacklustre and where I especially
felt that the outer movements could have been infused with more verve
and energy.

Re: the rmcr get-together, it was good to meet some of you. Also, if
any of you hear of any other not-to-be-missed concerts in NY, feel
free to let me know. My cultural antennae are usually fairly well
focussed, but unfortunately there's often also a lot of interference
from an excess of work, so some events do escape my attention.

Roger

Jeremy Cook

Mar 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/27/00
In article <8bogc1$hfa$1...@panix6.panix.com>,

ka...@nospam.panix.com (James Kahn) wrote:
> In <8bnoma$lur$1...@saltmine.radix.net> s...@Radix.Net (Steven Chung)
> writes:
>
> >Let me be a dissenter. It was good, but the rock-star (or Renee
> >Fleming!) reaction Argerich got was really disproportionate....
>
> I kind of agree--especially with people shouting "Bravo!" when she
> first walked out onto the stage, before she'd played anything.

Horowitz got the same in '65, for what it's worth. It's some people's
way of saying "We're glad you made it back to the point where you can
share your gift with us again in public." If some people wanted to
throw some moral support behind Ms. Argerich in light of her recent
battle with ill health , why does that bother you?

> The performances were indeed thrilling, and it was great to have
> an enthusiastic audience, but it almost (almost, I say) went too far.
> And is she so so much better than, say, Sokolov, who couldn't even
> fill up the 92nd St. Y a few months ago?

I can't say, but I wish someone had told me about the Sokolov recital,
because I would have been there with the same enthusiasm I brought to
Carnegie Hall Saturday evening. If it hadn't been for Andrys Basten, I
might have missed out on the Argerich recital (or at least missed out
on the superb seats I was able to score by ordering early). Sokolov
fans, please keep this country boy from Newtown, Connecticut in the
loop!

> >--don't tell me the same
> >thing would have happened if she actually made regular appearances
> >and the audience weren't trying to coax a solo encore out of her so
> >fervently (they didn't get it)...

> True, but it's a genuine reason for the enthusiasm, especially given
> her health problems.

Sad to say, I heard many people lamenting afterwards, "maybe we'll
never hear her again." I wish and hope for many more of Argerich's
remarkable appearances. But with this recital coming smack on the
heels of her N.Y. Times interview, please don't blame folks for feeling
the cruel footsteps of time sneaking up behind them.

John Gavin

Mar 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/27/00
Nice review Carl,-- but the "How Dry I Am" section?? That cracks me
up.

P.S. - Do you like the 3rd Scherzo? :)

K. Howson-Jan

Mar 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/27/00
Jeremy Cook wrote:
> Carl, thanks for the insightful review. To the rest of your comments,
> I can't add a thing. I remain in a stupor over the experience.

Ahh, that's the look in your eyes in those pix.

Kang

Matthew B. Tepper

Mar 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/27/00

And the pictures are located WHERE?

"Compassionate Conservatism?" * "Tight Slacks?" * "Jumbo Shrimp?"

Jeffrey Friedman

Mar 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/28/00
In article <38dea3a4...@nntp.netcom.ca>,
jg...@netcom.ca (John H) wrote:

>Got there too late for the picture -- a couple of hundred people on
>the sidewalk, couldn't figure out who looked most like internet geeks.
>
>Stunning show -- though I thought it took her about half the Bach to
>get organized..
>
>A touch fast in the Chopin Scherzo? Land speed record, I'm thinnking.
>Did anyone have a stopwatch on her?

I would estimate about 6'05" but I could be wrong.

Jeremy Cook

Mar 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/28/00
In article <38df61b5...@news.tor.myna.net>,
pam...@music-lovers.com wrote:
[snip]

> What's the story behind the Marmite? I didn't know anyone on this
> side of the pond had even heard of it! It's about $3 or $4 for a
> bottle that size (125g?)... Being originally from the UK I grew up on
> the stuff and am still a closet Marmite eater much to the disgust of
> my North American friends. But how did it creep into the lives of
> rmcr'ers?

Tales of the legendary therapeutic properties of this noble spread are
inextricably woven throughout the threads of rmcr. Probably the first
major discussion of Marmite came from the 'CD Buying Sickness' thread
in the Summer of '99, when it was recommended as an antidote to those
who found themselves unable to control their obsessive purchases of
classical recordings.

In rmcr folklore, it has since come to represent a panacea for all
forms of musical over-indulgence and/or painful over-exposure to less-
than-delightful manifestations of the Euterpean Muse. Marmite recently
played a key role in the recovery of a certain well-known Wagnerian
Heldenpianist, following his brush with death as the victim of a drive-
by shouting conducted by a brutal gang of rogue Heldentenors. :-)

James Kahn

Mar 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/28/00
In <8bomdg$pi$1...@nnrp1.deja.com> Jeremy Cook <jerem...@my-deja.com> writes:

>In article <8bogc1$hfa$1...@panix6.panix.com>,
>ka...@nospam.panix.com (James Kahn) wrote:
>>
>> >Let me be a dissenter. It was good, but the rock-star (or Renee
>> >Fleming!) reaction Argerich got was really disproportionate....
>>
>> I kind of agree--especially with people shouting "Bravo!" when she
>> first walked out onto the stage, before she'd played anything.

>Horowitz got the same in '65, for what it's worth. It's some people's
>way of saying "We're glad you made it back to the point where you can
>share your gift with us again in public." If some people wanted to
>throw some moral support behind Ms. Argerich in light of her recent
>battle with ill health , why does that bother you?

"Bother me" is probably too strong. But I always think of "Bravo!" as
meaning, more or less, "That was great!", so it seemed a bit odd at
that point.

>> The performances were indeed thrilling, and it was great to have
>> an enthusiastic audience, but it almost (almost, I say) went too far.
>> And is she so so much better than, say, Sokolov, who couldn't even
>> fill up the 92nd St. Y a few months ago?

>I can't say, but I wish someone had told me about the Sokolov recital,
>because I would have been there with the same enthusiasm I brought to
>Carnegie Hall Saturday evening.

For what it's worth, I did post (probably to r.m.c.) a notice about
the Sokolov recital, a week or two in advance, noting that tickets
were still available.

[S. Chung:]

>> >--don't tell me the same
>> >thing would have happened if she actually made regular appearances
>> >and the audience weren't trying to coax a solo encore out of her so
>> >fervently (they didn't get it)...

[me:]

>> True, but it's a genuine reason for the enthusiasm, especially given
>> her health problems.

>Sad to say, I heard many people lamenting afterwards, "maybe we'll
>never hear her again." I wish and hope for many more of Argerich's
>remarkable appearances. But with this recital coming smack on the
>heels of her N.Y. Times interview, please don't blame folks for feeling
>the cruel footsteps of time sneaking up behind them.

In this case my comments were supportive, not blaming.

Jan Winter

Mar 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/28/00
On 27 Mar 2000 20:06:05 GMT, si...@dept.english.upenn.edu (Simon
Roberts) wrote:

>Roland van Gaalen (r...@xs4.xs4all.nl) wrote:
>

>: What is marmite? Is it one of those typically English delicacies --

>: marmot blood pie or mint termite cake made of ground marble and
>: granite?
>

>Even better: a thick and dense smooth-textured yeast byproduct of striking
>pungency, guaranteed to frighten foreigners.

....but widely available in The Netherlands from the 50's on. I can
recall the smell, if only I wanted.
--
Regards, Jan Winter, Amsterdam
(j.wi...@xs4all.nl)

henry

Mar 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/28/00

James Kahn <ka...@nospam.panix.com> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag:
8bqd5k$ei4$1...@panix3.panix.com...

> In <8bomdg$pi$1...@nnrp1.deja.com> Jeremy Cook <jerem...@my-deja.com>
writes:

> >> I kind of agree--especially with people shouting "Bravo!" when she
> >> first walked out onto the stage, before she'd played anything.
>
> >Horowitz got the same in '65, for what it's worth. It's some people's
> >way of saying "We're glad you made it back to the point where you can
> >share your gift with us again in public." If some people wanted to
> >throw some moral support behind Ms. Argerich in light of her recent
> >battle with ill health , why does that bother you?
>
> "Bother me" is probably too strong. But I always think of "Bravo!" as
> meaning, more or less, "That was great!", so it seemed a bit odd at
> that point.

At the risk of sounding pedantic, may I point out that if any thing it
should have been "Brava"
or has gender neutrality struck there as well...
Henry

Jeffrey Smith

Mar 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/28/00
On Mon, 27 Mar 2000 13:31:45 GMT, pam...@music-lovers.com (Pamela -
Music Lovers On-Line) wrote:

>On Mon, 27 Mar 2000 04:05:37 GMT, "aso" <ays...@merle.acns.nwu.edu>
>wrote:
>
>>How much does Marmite cost per ounce? Also, "A" seems pretty gutsy to be
>>showing off that bit of tummy in the first shot . . .
>>

>What's the story behind the Marmite? I didn't know anyone on this
>side of the pond had even heard of it! It's about $3 or $4 for a
>bottle that size (125g?)... Being originally from the UK I grew up on
>the stuff and am still a closet Marmite eater much to the disgust of
>my North American friends. But how did it creep into the lives of
>rmcr'ers?
>

>Pamela

It also makes a lovely drink, perfect for cholesterol reduction.

Jeffrey Smith.

TD

Mar 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/28/00

"Jeffrey Smith" <jrs...@beckman.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> It also makes a lovely drink, perfect for cholesterol reduction.

I hear it is the best way to cut short a certain type of hallucinogenic
experience - something to do with rapid intake of vitamin B.

khows...@zdnetmail.com

Mar 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/28/00
In article <38E03FC3...@earthlink.net>,

=?iso-8859-1?Q?oy=FE=40earthlink=2Enet?= wrote:
> "K. Howson-Jan" wrote:
> >
> > Jeremy Cook wrote:
> > > Carl, thanks for the insightful review. To the rest of your
> > > comments, I can't add a thing. I remain in a stupor over the
> > > experience.
> >
> > Ahh, that's the look in your eyes in those pix.
>
> And the pictures are located WHERE?

http://www.friedman.com

K. Howson-Jan

Jeremy Cook

Mar 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/28/00
In article <38E02653...@zdnetmail.com>,

"K. Howson-Jan" <khows...@zdnetmail.com> wrote:
> Jeremy Cook wrote:
> > Carl, thanks for the insightful review. To the rest of your
> > comments, I can't add a thing. I remain in a stupor over the
> > experience.
>
> Ahh, that's the look in your eyes in those pix.

No, the pictures were taken before the recital. The look in my eyes
reflects how deeply moved I was to receive the ceremonial jar of
Marmite from Jeffrey.

Andrys D Basten

Mar 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/28/00
In article <38e0f...@juno.wiesbaden.netsurf.de>,

henry <hlib...@wiesbaden.netsurf.de> wrote:

>> "Bother me" is probably too strong. But I always think of "Bravo!" as
>> meaning, more or less, "That was great!", so it seemed a bit odd at
>> that point.
>>
>At the risk of sounding pedantic, may I point out that if any thing it
>should have been "Brava" or has gender neutrality struck there as well...
>Henry

Can you say "Bravx" ? ;) Actually, all night it was shouts
of "Brava!" even when she was taking bows with 4 men or with the
really fine-sounding Nelson Freire. I managed a faint "Bravi"
but was shouted down by thousands. She tends to get applause on
entering stage just for what she's done in the past and on
recordings. Of course there's always the overwhelming relief
that she showed up :-) And now we know she has, even after some
real ordeals. It was only 4 months after the described lung
surgery that she showed up to play not only the Prokofiev 3rd
but the Prokofiev 1st on the same night.

- A

--
Andrys Basten, CNE http://www.andrys.com/ PC Network Support
http://www.andrys.com/indox.html - Machu Picchu PhotoDiary w/Canon Elph

Matthew B. Tepper

Mar 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/28/00
khows...@zdnetmail.com wrote:

> In article <38E03FC3...@earthlink.net>,
> =?iso-8859-1?Q?oy=FE=40earthlink=2Enet?= wrote:

> > > Ahh, that's the look in your eyes in those pix.
> >
> > And the pictures are located WHERE?
>
> http://www.friedman.com

Thanks, K., and also to Frank who sent e-mail.

ESH Tooter

Mar 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/29/00
<< Sokolov
fans, please keep this country boy from Newtown, Connecticut in the
loop! >>

A neighbor! I'm just over the hill in nearby Washington, CT.

Tooter

ESH Tooter

Mar 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/29/00
Many thanks to Andrys for keeping me informed and to everyone else for sharing
enthusiasm and photos that could almost make me believe I was there.

Tooter

evan johnson

Mar 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/29/00
On 29 Mar 2000 01:51:07 GMT, esht...@aol.com (ESH Tooter) wrote:

:<< Sokolov

:fans, please keep this country boy from Newtown, Connecticut in the
:loop! >>
:
:
:A neighbor! I'm just over the hill in nearby Washington, CT.

:

Both of y'all should come down to Woolsey Hall sometime, get some
pictures of our own :-P

Evan (in sunny New Haven)

Evan Johnson, music composition major, Yale University
*****The Naxos/Arte Nova Recommended Recordings List*****
Email evan.johnson@[remove]yale.edu to get a copy or
submit a recording to be added.

Jeremy Cook

Mar 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/29/00
In article <38e179ff....@news.yale.edu>,

evan.j...@eliyale.edu (evan johnson) wrote:
> On 29 Mar 2000 01:51:07 GMT, esht...@aol.com (ESH Tooter) wrote:
>
> :<< Sokolov
> :fans, please keep this country boy from Newtown, Connecticut in the
> :loop! >>
> :
> :
> :A neighbor! I'm just over the hill in nearby Washington, CT.
> :
>
> Both of y'all should come down to Woolsey Hall sometime, get some
> pictures of our own :-P

Saw Manny Ax do "da Brahms" there a month ago. I was in the first row
of the balcony, up front on the left. Where were you? :-)

Andrys D Basten

Mar 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/29/00
In article <20000328205515...@ng-dc1.aol.com>,

Tooter, I really wish you'd been able to make it. Jeff's
photos were great, and they're so .... big! Decided to make an
update to my Argerich page and include reports from this group
and from the Great Pianists group for people who wonder what it
was like as well as some reviews and of course links to Jeff's
fabulous Carnegie Hall mug gallery, or is that his gallery of
fabulous mugs? :-)

evan johnson

Mar 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/29/00
On Wed, 29 Mar 2000 06:14:38 GMT, Jeremy Cook
<jerem...@my-deja.com> wrote:

:Saw Manny Ax do "da Brahms" there a month ago. I was in the first row

:of the balcony, up front on the left. Where were you? :-)

I was on the right side of the floor, then moved to the left to sit
with friends for the Requiem., pretty much right below you :)

Evan

H. Murty

Mar 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/29/00
I just e-mailed Jeremy Cook that I frequent the Orchestra new England
Concerts, because I really like their music, Battell Chapel and the
conductor is a great guy. Perhaps I have seen you there?

evan johnson (evan.j...@eliyale.edu) writes:
> On 29 Mar 2000 01:51:07 GMT, esht...@aol.com (ESH Tooter) wrote:
>
> :<< Sokolov
> :fans, please keep this country boy from Newtown, Connecticut in the
> :loop! >>
> :
> :
> :A neighbor! I'm just over the hill in nearby Washington, CT.
> :
>
> Both of y'all should come down to Woolsey Hall sometime, get some
> pictures of our own :-P
>

> Evan (in sunny New Haven)
>

> Evan Johnson, music composition major, Yale University
> *****The Naxos/Arte Nova Recommended Recordings List*****
> Email evan.johnson@[remove]yale.edu to get a copy or
> submit a recording to be added.

--
Dr. H. Murty
Sikorsky Aircraft

H. Murty

Mar 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/29/00
There is a harpsichord concerto on May 6 by Orchestra New England at
Battell Chapel

Jeremy Cook (jerem...@my-deja.com) writes:
> In article <38e179ff....@news.yale.edu>,
> evan.j...@eliyale.edu (evan johnson) wrote:

>> On 29 Mar 2000 01:51:07 GMT, esht...@aol.com (ESH Tooter) wrote:
>>
>> :<< Sokolov
>> :fans, please keep this country boy from Newtown, Connecticut in the
>> :loop! >>
>> :
>> :
>> :A neighbor! I'm just over the hill in nearby Washington, CT.
>> :
>>
>> Both of y'all should come down to Woolsey Hall sometime, get some
>> pictures of our own :-P
>

> Saw Manny Ax do "da Brahms" there a month ago. I was in the first row
> of the balcony, up front on the left. Where were you? :-)
>

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Jeremy Cook

Mar 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/29/00
In article <38e20954....@news.yale.edu>,

evan.j...@eliyale.edu (evan johnson) wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Mar 2000 06:14:38 GMT, Jeremy Cook
> <jerem...@my-deja.com> wrote:
>
> :Saw Manny Ax do "da Brahms" there a month ago. I was in the first row

> :of the balcony, up front on the left. Where were you? :-)
>
> I was on the right side of the floor, then moved to the left to sit
> with friends for the Requiem., pretty much right below you :)

The German Requiem transported me to such a rapturous state that my
Marmite sandwich slipped out of my hands as I leaned against the
balcony (roughly equivalent to the scene in "Amadeus" where Salieri
drops the folder of original Mozart scores). Oh dear, I hope that
wasn't *your* head that it landed on, Evan. But if it was, please let
me know if it hit you Marmite side up or Marmite side down, so I can
determine how profuse my apology should be. :-)

Simon Roberts

Mar 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/29/00
Jeremy Cook (jerem...@my-deja.com) wrote:

: The German Requiem transported me to such a rapturous state that my

: Marmite sandwich slipped out of my hands as I leaned against the
: balcony (roughly equivalent to the scene in "Amadeus" where Salieri
: drops the folder of original Mozart scores). Oh dear, I hope that
: wasn't *your* head that it landed on, Evan. But if it was, please let
: me know if it hit you Marmite side up or Marmite side down, so I can
: determine how profuse my apology should be. :-)

Do you think it's worse if it lands Marmite side up or down? Your
reputation as a potential connoisseur of Marmite turns on your answer....

Simon

evan johnson

Mar 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/29/00
On 29 Mar 2000 14:13:46 GMT, ad...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (H. Murty)
wrote:

:I just e-mailed Jeremy Cook that I frequent the Orchestra new England

:Concerts, because I really like their music, Battell Chapel and the
:conductor is a great guy. Perhaps I have seen you there?

I've actually never been to a ONE concert; but May 6 might be a good
time to try one out, decompression from finals period and all :)

Evan

Jeremy Cook

Mar 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/29/00
In article <8bt9h7$gfp$2...@netnews.upenn.edu>,

Obviously, if one is hit on one's head with a piece of Marmite-coated
bread, one would wish, nay, pray, that it would land Marmite side up,
as it can then be consumed "as is" with no loss of Marmite. I can only
assume that the individual upon whom I dropped my precious slice at the
concert was upset because it had landed Marmite side down on his head,
thus depositing a goodly portion of the divine delicacy in his hair,
effectively putting it out of reach of his mouth. At first, I thought
the angry digital gesticulation he repeatedly directed at me was
intended as some sort of coarse, profane insult to my person, but then
I realized, "Oh, I get it... He's telling me, 'Next time, Marmite side
UP!!! Marmite side UP!!!'".

Bob Taffelsen

Mar 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/29/00
Jeremy Cook wrote:

> At first, I thought
> the angry digital gesticulation he repeatedly directed at me was
> intended as some sort of coarse, profane insult to my person, but then
> I realized, "Oh, I get it... He's telling me, 'Next time, Marmite side
> UP!!! Marmite side UP!!!'".

There's a Marmite culture growing here... next thing, Hurwitz will have
a link to marmitesideup.com in his web site. He's a man who knows his
trends.

I modestly propose Marmite Classics, a label for the connoisseur. Order
now and you get a FREE copy of the Official Marmite Cook-book, a
veritable cornucopia (Grabaphone, note) of marvellous ideas to enhance
your gastronomusical experience (BMG Club, note).

First issue: "The Heldens Cook Alive" - Cook & Patterson live, with a
mystery guest appearance of a notorious tenor.

Cheers, and I'd better get back to that Martinu violin sonata (the
third). It's a bitch to play (sorry, not PC but true). I wanna play like
Suk, I wanna play like Suk!!!

BobT

H. Murty

Mar 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/29/00
Just ask the ticket collector Mike for me and he will point me out to you.
It is a harpsichord concerto. A rare treat!

ESH Tooter

Mar 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/30/00
<< :A neighbor! I'm just over the hill in nearby Washington, CT.
:

Both of y'all should come down to Woolsey Hall sometime, get some
pictures of our own :-P

Evan (in sunny New Haven) >>

Cutler's is a part of the annual itinerary, and I have poeriodic business at
East Haven High, but the last trip to NH was my wife's who played her bagpipe
through the center of town. If you were anywhere within 15 miles you must have
heard her.

Tooter

ESH Tooter

Mar 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/30/00
<< :Saw Manny Ax do "da Brahms" there a month ago. I was in the first row
:of the balcony, up front on the left. Where were you? :-)

I was on the right side of the floor, then moved to the left to sit
with friends for the Requiem., pretty much right below you :)

Evan >>

Now those are the events I need to hear about in advance. That could get me to
NH easily. Anyone going to Hartford for the Mahler 8th?

evan johnson

Mar 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/30/00
On 30 Mar 2000 02:19:15 GMT, esht...@aol.com (ESH Tooter) wrote:

:Now those are the events I need to hear about in advance. That could get me to

:NH easily. Anyone going to Hartford for the Mahler 8th?

If anyone's interested, the yale cellos are playing on April 17 in
Sprague Hall (next door to Woolsey on College Street). They are an
incredible ensemble (coached by the formidable Aldo Parisot) which
specializes, understandably given the ensemble, on contemporary music.
They gave a bang-up performance of Boulez's "Messagesquisses" last
time around.

Highly recommended, and I'll be in the balcony :)

Richard Schultz

Mar 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/30/00
henry (hlib...@wiesbaden.netsurf.de) wrote:

: At the risk of sounding pedantic, may I point out that if any thing it

: should have been "Brava" or has gender neutrality struck there as well...

Actually, given that it was in New York, I would have expected the
crowd to be stamping their feet and shouting "MAR - THA! MAR - THA!
MAR - THA! MAR - THA!"

-----
Richard Schultz sch...@mail.biu.ac.il
Department of Chemistry tel: 972-3-531-8065
Bar-Ilan University, Ramat-Gan, Israel fax: 972-3-535-1250
-----
"You go on playing Bach your way, and I'll go on playing him *his* way."
-- Wanda Landowska

Brendan R. Wehrung

Mar 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/30/00
MARMITE, MARMITE ALL THE TIME! CAN'T YOU TALK ABOUT SMETHING ELSE ONCE
IN A WHILE, LIKE NUTELLA?

Brendan

Raymond Hall

Mar 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/30/00
Richard Schultz wrote:

> henry (hlib...@wiesbaden.netsurf.de) wrote:
>
> : At the risk of sounding pedantic, may I point out that if any thing it
> : should have been "Brava" or has gender neutrality struck there as well...
>
> Actually, given that it was in New York, I would have expected the
> crowd to be stamping their feet and shouting "MAR - THA! MAR - THA!
> MAR - THA! MAR - THA!"

Thank God it wasn't at Wembley stadium, London, where they would be
shouting :-
"ERE WE GO - ERE WE GO - ERE WE GOOOOOOOH".

Regards,

Ray Hall, Sydney

John H

Mar 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/30/00

I went to a Martha Argerich recital, and a soccer match broke out.
Interesting thought.

John Harkness

Simon Roberts

Mar 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/30/00
Brendan R. Wehrung (ck...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA) wrote:
: MARMITE, MARMITE ALL THE TIME! CAN'T YOU TALK ABOUT SMETHING ELSE ONCE

: IN A WHILE, LIKE NUTELLA?

No; that nasty stuff is made by foreigners.

Simon

H. Murty

Mar 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/30/00
those of you who want a heads up on these yale events, you can look them
up on their music school web site at www.yale.com

Is the balcony the best place to sit in Sprague? I am going there Friday
night to hear cello/piano concerto.

evan johnson

Mar 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/30/00

:up on their music school web site at www.yale.com
:
:Is the balcony the best place to sit in Sprague? I am going there Friday
:night to hear cello/piano concerto.

well, I always sit there because that's where the "cognoscenti" sit
(music students and faculty) while the townie riffraff usually choose
to sit below :) Acoustically, I couldn't tell you.

H. Murty

Mar 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/30/00
is it the same deal with Battell Chapel? Sit upstairs for those in the
know...

Jeffrey Smith

Mar 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/30/00
On Thu, 30 Mar 2000 16:47:32 +1000, Raymond Hall
<hallr...@bigpond.com> wrote:

>Richard Schultz wrote:
>>
>> henry (hlib...@wiesbaden.netsurf.de) wrote:
>>
>> : At the risk of sounding pedantic, may I point out that if any thing it
>> : should have been "Brava" or has gender neutrality struck there as well...
>>
>> Actually, given that it was in New York, I would have expected the
>> crowd to be stamping their feet and shouting "MAR - THA! MAR - THA!
>> MAR - THA! MAR - THA!"
>>
>Thank God it wasn't at Wembley stadium, London, where they would be
>shouting :-
>"ERE WE GO - ERE WE GO - ERE WE GOOOOOOOH".
>
>Regards,
>
>Ray Hall, Sydney

At Tottenham it would be 'Come on you, Martha', at Newcastle 'Haway
the Marth' etc. etc.

Jeffrey Smith.

evan johnson

Mar 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/30/00
On 30 Mar 2000 17:59:24 GMT, ad...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (H. Murty)
wrote:

:is it the same deal with Battell Chapel? Sit upstairs for those in the
:know...

less so, I think, but the effect is there.

:evan johnson (evan.j...@eliyale.edu) writes:
:> On 30 Mar 2000 14:53:18 GMT, ad...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (H. Murty)
:>
:> :those of you who want a heads up on these yale events, you can look them
:> :up on their music school web site at www.yale.com

this is www.yale.edu, by the way, and the School of Music website is
www.yale.edu/schmus

Andrys D Basten

Mar 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/30/00
In article <38e334b7....@nntp.netcom.ca>, John H <jg...@netcom.ca> wrote:

>I went to a Martha Argerich recital, and a soccer match broke out.
>Interesting thought.
>
>John Harkness

It did sound sometimes as if we had wandered into a stadium of
soccer fans :-)