[elias video] I think all you scientists are crackpots

elias

Aug 29, 2007, 8:14:46 AM8/29/07
I made a short film this summer, together with the genius Olof Röckner,
that I planed to release on the internet. Then I started to think about
filming some more and make a DVD and saved the film for a while. But since
that DVD-project seem so far away I decided to go through with the
original plan and release it on the net.
So if you liked my stuff in Springtime Manipulation, 9-1, VSNBT MNP... and
Kop en cukel you might find this interesting. If you didn't, feel free to
check it out anyway. A couple of new tricks, some sequences and random
improvisation with clubs (and some rings too).

I think all you scientists are crackpots
12 min 22 seconds
324 mb

You can download it here:
http://www.informatik.umu.se/~svph0214/movies/crackpots.avi

The film is all black and white in case you might think there is something
wrong with the file.

All kinds of feedback are welcome.
Game on!

/ Elias Hedlund - http://www.informatik.umu.se/~svph0214/

wes peden

Aug 29, 2007, 9:30:47 AM8/29/07

i don't think i have ever been so loud while watching a video. i kept
screaming at my screen because i
couldn't believe what you were doing. so much of it doesn't look possible
like the 2 club forward and
revers spin for the same hand and the other things with 2 were you bounce
it back and forth on the ends
then catch it balanced! (CRAZY) everything was so beautiful too! you never
look like you are trying, it just
happens. the 3 club sequence that starts with the one club rolling around
your arms and shoulders
around your head was one of the coolest things i have ever seen!!! all of
you stuff is SO fresh!! it's not
even like, oh other people do this but i do it a little different, no it's
stuff no one has ever come close to
thinking of! genius!!! oh yeah, i didn't know you were such a kick ass
editor either! that was amazing! for
real the whole production was ace! great music!!! the rings were mega dope
too! that probably the
cleanest 6 club flash i have ever seen!!!

dude, i love you.

/wes

Urbanjuggler

Aug 29, 2007, 9:44:22 AM8/29/07
Great video, nice locations, awesome music en smooth juggling (tapping the
club 4?times into a balance, you make it look soooo easy), in one word...
"wow"

And I think I detected you guys playing on a NES, so it couldn't be better
;-)

HanS

ozzer

Aug 29, 2007, 10:14:20 AM8/29/07

Well, of course this is the SHIT! everyone who cares about new juggling
must see this or DIE.

I understod early when I became a good friend with Elias when we started
to shot the first sequences
to 9-1 back in 2004 or something that he is something very special. He
became one of my favourite
jugglers very early for picking up important inspiration fast from what
Maksim and Ville did back in
the late 90:s (together with inpiration from RODNEY MULLEN) and made his
own style out of it. He is
always struggling with new technics to treat his clubs in new and fresh
ways. And he is never satisfyed
with ok material, almost everything is hard, and I just hope that he
continues to push the
manipulation style to i'ts own big genre of juggling.
If Saku is the god of three club juggling, Elias is the god of three club
manipulation.

way to go bro!... vill du ha en 2.8:a? jag bjuckar, kom över vetja!...
kram.

/Oskar Wrangö
www.visionbot.com

Brian Gadomski

Aug 29, 2007, 10:14:39 AM8/29/07
elias wrote:

> I made a short film this summer, together with the genius Olof Röckner,

Amazing video Elias. I loved the tap-to-balance trick the most I think.
I also enjoyed:
"Wow, you did it! Sure did!
..
Smokes!"

Thanks for making it.

elias

Aug 29, 2007, 3:06:22 PM8/29/07

Thank you guys! I'm glad some of you rec.jugglers liked it.
I myself get both sad and happy at the same time when watching this film
since it reminds me of all the good and crazy times me and Olof had
together here in sthlm. I hope you're having a good time in Skelleftea Mr
Punk Goth!

For more music and art by Olof:
http://www.myspace.com/ilmondodeirobot

The film is also available for download from my friend Anton's site now:
http://www.acc.umu.se/~antonh/movies/crackpots.avi

Feel free to mirror it. I tried www.jugglethis.net but it didn't work for
me. Maybe the file was to big.

Doing the tag thing now...

IJDb Video Tag v1.1
http://www.jugglingdb.com/videos/tag.php
#begin#
Date: 2007-08-29 20:47:02
juggling/manipulation film made by two slackers from the north of Sweden.

Preformed and edited by Elias Hedlund
Music by Olof Rockner
#end#

over and out

lutkus

Aug 29, 2007, 7:29:08 PM8/29/07
Awesome! Awesome to the max! You are by far my favorite club not
juggler... and your juggling is cool too!

--
Jeff

Ed Provencher

Aug 29, 2007, 11:34:22 PM8/29/07
On Aug 29, 9:14 pm, el...@jongleringsoasen.se.nospam.com (elias)
wrote:

Great video! One of my favorites. Thanks for sharing!

www.icantstopjuggling.blogspot.com

Norbi

Aug 30, 2007, 3:39:16 AM8/30/07
Jesus C H Rist!

Everything was so clean and new and crazy and cool and ok i'm done!

Luke Burrage

Aug 30, 2007, 10:08:17 AM8/30/07
Norbi wrote:

> Jesus C H Rist!
>
> Everything was so clean and new and crazy and cool and ok i'm done!

I'll continue. I liked the music! Ok, I'm done.

notsewkram

Aug 30, 2007, 2:19:57 PM8/30/07
elias wrote:
> All kinds of feedback are welcome.
> Game on!
>
> / Elias Hedlund - http://www.informatik.umu.se/~svph0214/

To paraphrase my friend Aaron,
Elias, when you are juggling (or not juggling), you look like you are
solving a math problem.

Wicked cool stuff, very nice...

mark

boosh

Aug 30, 2007, 2:53:03 PM8/30/07

That was insane! Seriously, that was some of the best manipultion I've
seen! I loved all of the video.

luk

Martijn Halekor

Aug 30, 2007, 7:08:18 PM8/30/07
Damn, now that's a good vid. That was done VERY well, it had A LOT of
crazy-go-nuts stuff, I'm stunned. I share Wes' enthusiasm! :D

Thanks for sharing that and for being an inspiration Elias. You have a
great style. Keep it coming,

Martijn

Oriyan Hermoni

Aug 31, 2007, 2:45:09 AM8/31/07

Pure pwnage.

Marty

Aug 31, 2007, 7:03:15 AM8/31/07

Holy crap!!!......that was amazing

Chiok

Aug 31, 2007, 8:35:19 AM8/31/07

That, was an amazing video. It hit just the right note for me in terms of
tricks and moves. I'm not really a huge fan of the abstract manipulation
work, but your style seems to have more technicality to it which I really
like watching. Despite that, I really really liked the ring sequence.

And the music was rather nice too. Good synching of beats to music too.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk
(NES fans unite)

Mike Webster

Aug 31, 2007, 12:38:24 PM8/31/07
Thanks for another awesome video of killer manipulations and great music.

Mike Webster

Michael Karas

Sep 1, 2007, 10:47:01 AM9/1/07

Hey Elias,

Thanks so much for releasing that video! Damn, your shit is crazy!!
The 4 club helicopter thing made me go "whaaaatt!?!?!" Scissor catches
are your bitches. nuff said. the ring manip was really cool because I
don't think I've ever seen you do stuff so symmetrical which was
interesting. the video overall was amazing - 12 minutes is the new 3
minutes, creative folks! Also, it was fun to see you and your friend
messing about. RIT should bring you over here next year for sure!

Great work man - you're a huge inspiration!

~karas

harry smith

Sep 1, 2007, 2:46:18 PM9/1/07
> that was awesome! some of the best manipulation i have ever seen! all your
tricks are really smooth and clean.awesome music,editing and location aswell.
thankyou for your inspiration (:

hushypushy

Sep 1, 2007, 11:01:08 PM9/1/07
elias wrote:

> You can download it here:
> http://www.informatik.umu.se/~svph0214/movies/crackpots.avi

Crazy video! Worth the big download.

-Matt

(ever considered putting it at Google Video?)

Martijn Halekor

Sep 2, 2007, 12:00:38 PM9/2/07
hushypushy wrote:
> (ever considered putting it at Google Video?)

Ugh, don't go there. That would ruin the quality of this video.

Martijn

elias

Sep 3, 2007, 8:33:05 AM9/3/07
Martijn Halekor wrote:

> hushypushy wrote:
> > (ever considered putting it at Google Video?)
>
> Ugh, don't go there. That would ruin the quality of this video.
>
> Martijn

Don't worry. I won't use that, or any other similar video page.
I have an quite old and cheap camera and this is the first time I've done
the editing myself so I had to spent some time making it look ok, and I
had a great time doing so! But if I would just compress the film down to
nothing, I feel that the whole process of making the film would be worth
nothing. I'm tired of all the videos on youtube where you hardly can see
how many balls that's in the air. So I hope that more people will start to
make serious juggling videos soon.

Though I have a question about compression. I'm using Adobe Premiere Pro
2.0 for editing and after exporting the film I had some real trouble
finding a decent way of compressing the file. What I've used now is the
program Virtual Dub and the DivX codec. I'm not satisfied though. I mean
it must be ways to get the file size down much more and still get good
quality, even better then this one is. What are all the people using who
rips DVDs?

/ Elias Hedlund - smokes!

Adam Rowney

Sep 3, 2007, 9:12:59 AM9/3/07

Finally got round to watching this, and I must say it was fantastic. Not
normally interested in this kind os stuff, but the juggling was amazing,
and so was the film making!
Top stuff!

Adam

Martijn Halekor

Sep 3, 2007, 6:40:01 PM9/3/07
elias wrote:
> Though I have a question about compression. I'm using Adobe Premiere Pro
> 2.0 for editing and after exporting the film I had some real trouble
> finding a decent way of compressing the file. What I've used now is the
> program Virtual Dub and the DivX codec. I'm not satisfied though. I mean
> it must be ways to get the file size down much more and still get good
> quality, even better then this one is.

Yes there is, and it's called H.264 (MPEG-4 AVC), if you want more
information about this wonderful codec, have a look here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC

Using H.264 compression on a pc: get Quicktime Pro, open your uncompressed
file in Quicktime and hit File->Export. Then, choose 'Film to MPEG-4' and
go set your bitrate and stuff. Or at least, that's how I do it. Another
tip is to deinterlace your video in Virtualdub first (to get rid of those
annoying lines). Read more about the do's and don't in deinterlacing at
www.100fps.com

Good luck,
Martijn

p.s. I watched the video again today, and I have to say - sick, sick video
:-)

The Void

Sep 3, 2007, 8:23:04 PM9/3/07
Martijn Halekor wrote:
> > Though I have a question about compression....

> Using H.264 compression on a pc: get Quicktime Pro, open your uncompressed
> file in Quicktime and hit File->Export. Then, choose 'Film to MPEG-4' and
> go set your bitrate and stuff. Or at least, that's how I do it. Another
> tip is to deinterlace your video in Virtualdub first (to get rid of those
> annoying lines). Read more about the do's and don't in deinterlacing at
> www.100fps.com

You could also use the freeware "MPEG Streamclip", "Export to MP4" and
both deinterlace and
compress in one go. I recommend not limiting the data rate, but rather
finding a percentage rate that
spits out a decent quality/filesize. (Try 43%, and see what that gets you
- or batch process a few
options overnight).

> Good luck,

That too.

> p.s. I watched the video again today, and I have to say - sick, sick video

Yep, agreed. Damn sweet. Often when watching manipulation, I feel like
shouting out "Just juggle the
bloody things, will you?", but this vid held my attention all the way
through. Plus as a bonus, it had my
[1] 5 club scissor catch in it. :-)

The Void
Loaded wallet pointed at my head. Curse the Linn.

[1] OK, so it was Charlie's idea, but I'm the one that LP caught doing it
on camera, so it must be my
trick, right?

elias

Sep 4, 2007, 4:47:06 AM9/4/07
The Void wrote:

> Martijn Halekor wrote:
> > > Though I have a question about compression....
> >
> > Using H.264 compression on a pc: get Quicktime Pro, open your uncompressed
> > file in Quicktime and hit File->Export. Then, choose 'Film to MPEG-4' and
> > go set your bitrate and stuff. Or at least, that's how I do it. Another
> > tip is to deinterlace your video in Virtualdub first (to get rid of those
> > annoying lines). Read more about the do's and don't in deinterlacing at
> > www.100fps.com
>
> You could also use the freeware "MPEG Streamclip", "Export to MP4" and
> both deinterlace and
> compress in one go. I recommend not limiting the data rate, but rather
> finding a percentage rate that
> spits out a decent quality/filesize. (Try 43%, and see what that gets you
> - or batch process a few
> options overnight).
>
> > Good luck,
>
> That too.

Thank you guys! Now I know what to try with my next film. I might try to
re compress this one as well since I still have the project left on my
hard drive.

> > p.s. I watched the video again today, and I have to say - sick, sick video
>
> Yep, agreed. Damn sweet. Often when watching manipulation, I feel like
> shouting out "Just juggle the
> bloody things, will you?", but this vid held my attention all the way
> through. Plus as a bonus, it had my
> [1] 5 club scissor catch in it. :-)

I try not to think about my juggling as "manipulation", at least not in
the way that the word is used today. For me it's all about creating new
moves and techniques and I don't like how the word manipulation is
separating me from the rest of the juggling world since what I'm trying to
do is removing the limits that people seem to think there is in juggling.

> The Void
> Loaded wallet pointed at my head. Curse the Linn.
>
> [1] OK, so it was Charlie's idea, but I'm the one that LP caught doing it
> on camera, so it must be my
> trick, right?

Maybe so. I did that trick about 4 years ago but never thought about
filming it until I did it from scissor back to scissor again. So I guess
there are lot's of people who have done it but you might have been the
first to get it on film. Good for you :)

/ Elias Hedlund - not trying to take any credit away from mr void

brianpdailey

Sep 5, 2007, 8:46:35 PM9/5/07
elias wrote:

> I try not to think about my juggling as "manipulation", at least not in
> the way that the word is used today. For me it's all about creating new
> moves and techniques and I don't like how the word manipulation is
> separating me from the rest of the juggling world since what I'm trying to
> do is removing the limits that people seem to think there is in juggling.

Elias,

I'm really glad you wrote this. It is really cool that there are many new
ways for us to talk about the
different things we do, but it does seem like 'prop manipulation' is being
used increasingly as way to
describe something as, 'not juggling.' Lately, I've been even calling
some of my play, 'not juggling' as
a way to tease my toss-centric friends.

What’s great is that it seems like you really are challenging ideas of
juggling, if you weren’t then you
wouldn’t have this little linguistic problem.

How does the word ‘juggling’ sound to your Swedish ears? Personally, I
think its a stange, sort of ugly
sounding word and wish we had a new umbrella term.

-b

ManiacDrew

Sep 5, 2007, 10:28:13 PM9/5/07

brianpdailey wrote:
> Personally, I
> think its a stange, sort of ugly
> sounding word and wish we had a new umbrella term.
>
> -b

I'm doing the same sort of thing with my prop.
Traditionally, it is not juggled it is twirled.

I call it "freestyle".

Elias, you may try to see if "freestyle" works.
For example, "club freestyle" would mean you are using clubs.

By "Style" I refer to some existing forms of manipulation:

baton twirling / pen tricks
juggling
balancing
paddidling / spinning
club swinging / poi
nun chucks
mini cane (martial arts)
staff
cane dancing
wrist traps
wraps
devil stick
mime (with the prop)
combos

Also, from that vantage point, you can take the clubs and mimic baton
twirling . . . or focus on combo tricks with balancing. I, too, hated
"manipulation" because it really too general. With "freestyle," there is
clearly more structure in the experimentation because inspiration clearly
comes from existing activities.

I take my prop to different organizations. After I finish learning to
juggle 5, I will learn more about baton twirling and incorporate those
skills. Forewarning: You'll probably see some of the things you've done
when I 'freestyle' with 5. I try to have each number of props be a
different style.

The use of "freestyle" is also a tribute to BMX, skateboard, etc.
"freestyles".
Bikes, unicycles, skateboards, rolla bolas, juggling clubs, are all
"props"
and the experimentation and results are also very similar.

Drew

Drew

elias

Sep 6, 2007, 6:27:44 AM9/6/07

Well, personally I don't mind how the word "juggling" sounds. All though I
don't think nugglers (non jugglers) understand at all what it is that I'm
doing when I tell them that I'm a juggler, like all the associations with
bad clowns, apples and chain saws.
But to come up with a totally new word for juggling just seems a bit
strange. I can see the historical value of the word "juggling" and at
least nugglers have an idea of what it means.

The problem that I have with "manipulation" is that it's a good word to
describe what I'm doing but at the same time it's also a good word to
describe what a person who juggle is doing; throwing and catching.
I like the word if it's used to describe that everything is possible to
do, including throwing and catching of objects (juggling). But if it
becomes bound to rules, let's say that it isn't manipulation unless you do
enough placements, then I don't like it because then it will end up as a
sub category to juggling just like contact juggling has.

It's much more interesting to try and categorize everything we do with our
objects:
throws
catches
rolls
placement
stalls
traps
bounces
kicks
hits
balances
spin
swing
etc.

Then we just have to realize that we can do all of theses things with our
objects in any order we want to. There is nothing that says that you have
to keep throwing the objects all the time, or just doing placements for
that mater. Can this still be called juggling? Or do we have to use this
"new" word; "manipulation"? If so, I think the jugglers are missing out...

/ Elias Hedlund

Jason Perry

Sep 6, 2007, 9:17:02 AM9/6/07
"elias" <el...@jongleringsoasen.se.nospam.com> wrote in message

> Though I have a question about compression. I'm using Adobe Premiere Pro
> 2.0 for editing and after exporting the film I had some real trouble
> finding a decent way of compressing the file. What I've used now is the
> program Virtual Dub and the DivX codec. I'm not satisfied though. I mean
> it must be ways to get the file size down much more and still get good
> quality, even better then this one is. What are all the people using who
> rips DVDs?

Firstly you should compress the audio. Just by extracting the audio from
your file, encoding it as a 128kbps/44.1KHz mp3, and then re-muxing it with
the video, I reduced the filesize from 324MB to 199MB!

With regard to video compression I use the XviD[1] codec and do a two pass
encode with VirtualDub or VirtualDubMod. For a pretty good quality encode
with this framesize I'd use a bitrate of ~1000kbps.

The way I would do this would be to:
1, export uncompressed audio & video as separate files from Premiere
2, compress the audio with your program of choice (I use BeLight)
3, load the video file into VDubMod (IIRC VDub cant import mp3s)
4, load the mp3 as a stream (set to direct stream copy)
5, set video compression parameters (remember for a two-pass encode to tick
the 'don't encode now' box)
6, encode (File>Job Control - Start)

Using this method and settings you should end up with a filesize of around
100MB

For this project in particular, I wonder if you could reduce filesize
further by reducing the colour depth like you would with a photo. A colour
image uses 24 bits per pixel, whereas a greyscale (i.e. B&W) image only
uses
8 bits per pixel so the filesize of the greyscale should be 1/3 that of the
colour image. I don't know whether this can be done with video - might be
worth a Google.

There is lots of good info and guides about video compression at
http://www.doom9.org/

HTH.

Jason.
--
[1]. My XviD settings:
Profile Level: Advanced Simple @ L5

Quality Preset
Motion Sarch Precision - 6 - Ultra High
VHQ Mode: 1 - Mode Decision
Frame Drop Ratio: 0
Max I-Frame Interval: 250 (use 300 for NTSC)

ManiacDrew

Sep 6, 2007, 5:23:00 PM9/6/07
elias wrote:
> I don't like it because then it will end up as a
> sub category to juggling just like contact juggling has.
>
> It's much more interesting to try and categorize everything we do with our
> objects:
> throws
> catches
> rolls
> placement
> stalls
> traps
> bounces
> kicks
> hits
> balances
> spin
> swing
> etc.
>
> Can this still be called juggling? Or do we have to use this
> "new" word; "manipulation"? If so, I think the jugglers are missing out...
>
> / Elias Hedlund

Did you get a chance to read my reply?

To answer your question:
No. What you do will not be called "juggling."
That is why jugglers have started the word "manipulation".

At best you can apply a term. It seems like you want to have jugglers
understand that they are not limited to throwing and catching.

You want them to realize they are more "free".
Also, everyone can see that your "style" of juggling is different.
This is another reason to use the word "freestyle".

Perhaps another term that would fit is "trick juggling" or something that
emphsizes the fact that you want the various "things that can be done"
highlighted.

Keep in mind that you're not going to convince the WJF (i.e. sport
jugglers) or jogglers that there more things to do than throw and catch.
However, I think you are correct when you imply that typical jugglers
should expand their style.

The bottom line is one way or another a different word will be used to
describe what you do.

Drew

elias

Sep 8, 2007, 9:10:18 PM9/8/07
ManiacDrew wrote:

> elias wrote:
> > I don't like it because then it will end up as a
> > sub category to juggling just like contact juggling has.
> >
> > It's much more interesting to try and categorize everything we do with our
> > objects:
> > throws
> > catches
> > rolls
> > placement
> > stalls
> > traps
> > bounces
> > kicks
> > hits
> > balances
> > spin
> > swing
> > etc.
> >
> > Can this still be called juggling? Or do we have to use this
> > "new" word; "manipulation"? If so, I think the jugglers are missing out...
> >
> > / Elias Hedlund
>

> Did you get a chance to read my reply?

Yes I did. It seems like you are mixing props (ex. staff) and techniques
(traps) a bit there. Not sure I quite understand you selection of
manipulation genres.

> To answer your question:
> No. What you do will not be called "juggling."
> That is why jugglers have started the word "manipulation".

Well, I already knew that people seem to have the need for another word.
And I don't have a problem with the word "manipulation". It just seems
that they are using it in a weird way. If you read old articles about
juggling, the word manipulation often aper in a more general state. It's
like all the new jugglers have changed that word into something that only
explains a certain _kind_ of manipulation. I'm not trying to teach you
something here cause I'm sure you are aware of this. I'm mainly trying to
inform the new jugglers of what "manipulation" actually means. I like to
categorize my work as manipulation, but only because I thing everything
that what we jugglers do is manipulation.

> At best you can apply a term. It seems like you want to have jugglers
> understand that they are not limited to throwing and catching.

Exactly, though if all you want do with your objects are throws and
catches I would still consider it to be manipulation.

> You want them to realize they are more "free".
> Also, everyone can see that your "style" of juggling is different.
> This is another reason to use the word "freestyle".
>
> Perhaps another term that would fit is "trick juggling" or something that
> emphsizes the fact that you want the various "things that can be done"
> highlighted.

My point here is that I _don't_ want to categorize my style of juggling at
all and that I don't want to give it a specific name. I think "freestyle
juggling/manipulation?" seems to be a reasonable word to use but I think
it would be hard for the juggling community to suddenly change there ways
into using it.

> Keep in mind that you're not going to convince the WJF (i.e. sport
> jugglers) or jogglers that there more things to do than throw and catch.
> However, I think you are correct when you imply that typical jugglers
> should expand their style.

I leave the WJF to them self. I like the WJF, at least in some ways. They
are pushing the technical skills in juggling (throwing/catching :) and
they have probably introduced juggling to people who else never would have
found it interesting at all. I could continue my thoughts about the WJF
but that's another discussion.

> The bottom line is one way or another a different word will be used to
> describe what you do.
>
> Drew

For sure. This little interruption between new video posts and random
questions about what the best club is, isn't going to change how people
are using the word "manipulation".
And every time I try to think about this topic I end up in some sort of
contradiction in my head, since it's hard for me to really get a solid
grip about what and who I'm trying to convince :)

/ Elias Hedlund - signing off, a bit drunk

ManiacDrew

Sep 8, 2007, 10:55:58 PM9/8/07
elias wrote:
> For sure. This little interruption between new video posts and random
> questions about what the best club is, isn't going to change how people
> are using the word "manipulation".
> And every time I try to think about this topic I end up in some sort of
> contradiction in my head, since it's hard for me to really get a solid
> grip about what and who I'm trying to convince :)
>
> / Elias Hedlund - signing off, a bit drunk

I think you (and the few that are very good at your style) can "change"
the term from "manipulation" to "freestyle". For example, when you
distribute videos, you can title it that way. You set the standard.

I, too, think that the term "manipulation" is a bit off.
Like you said, "juggling IS manipulation".

When I was setting out the various styles, I did include traps and staff.
Really, rather than pointing to specific tricks (like the bricks in a
house) I am trying to reference the overall architecture (the whole
house). That inspires the juggler to look at the combos that have already
been worked out.

Moreover, the tricks "already have names" in other prop communities that
we can mimic if we want. That will make dialog between the various
activities more seamless. I guess both the activities and the individual
tricks could be listed as a reference. Such a guide would expand (club)
juggling very quickly.

Drew

ChrisFowler

Sep 9, 2007, 11:35:48 PM9/9/07
elias wrote:
> some stuff about his awesome video

Dude! That video was sooo good. I first saw your juggling/manipulation
in 9-1, then Springtime Manipulation, The Harbor, Kop en cukel, and now
this video, and I must say, I keep liking your style more and more. I
always am amazed by the sequences you come up with, and also the single
tricks like opposing spins flash are just sweet. I don't have much else
to say other than that I always look forward to your videos-keep making
them, please:D

brianpdailey

Sep 19, 2007, 11:47:18 PM9/19/07
elias wrote:

> It's much more interesting to try and categorize everything we do with
our objects:

> throws
> catches
> rolls
> placement
> stalls
> traps
> bounces
> kicks
> hits
> balances

isolations
> spin
> swing
drop
> etc.

What else can be put in here?

"Et cetera..."

Warren Hammond

Nov 28, 2007, 12:32:33 AM11/28/07
elias wrote:

> elias wrote:
> >
> > I made a short film this summer, together with the genius Olof Röckner,
> > that I planed to release on the internet. Then I started to think about
> > filming some more and make a DVD and saved the film for a while. But since
> > that DVD-project seem so far away I decided to go through with the
> > original plan and release it on the net.
> > So if you liked my stuff in Springtime Manipulation, 9-1, VSNBT MNP... and
> > Kop en cukel you might find this interesting. If you didn't, feel free to
> > check it out anyway. A couple of new tricks, some sequences and random
> > improvisation with clubs (and some rings too).
> >
> > I think all you scientists are crackpots
> > 12 min 22 seconds
> > 324 mb
> >
> > You can download it here:
> > http://www.informatik.umu.se/~svph0214/movies/crackpots.avi
> >
> > The film is all black and white in case you might think there is something
> > wrong with the file.
> >
> > All kinds of feedback are welcome.
> > Game on!
> >
> > / Elias Hedlund - http://www.informatik.umu.se/~svph0214/
> >

> Thank you guys! I'm glad some of you rec.jugglers liked it.
> I myself get both sad and happy at the same time when watching this film
> since it reminds me of all the good and crazy times me and Olof had
> together here in sthlm. I hope you're having a good time in Skelleftea Mr
> Punk Goth!
>
> For more music and art by Olof:
> http://www.myspace.com/ilmondodeirobot
>
> The film is also available for download from my friend Anton's site now:
> http://www.acc.umu.se/~antonh/movies/crackpots.avi
>
> Feel free to mirror it. I tried www.jugglethis.net but it didn't work for
> me. Maybe the file was to big.
>
> Doing the tag thing now...
>
> IJDb Video Tag v1.1
> http://www.jugglingdb.com/videos/tag.php
> #begin#
> Date: 2007-08-29 20:47:02
> juggling/manipulation film made by two slackers from the north of Sweden.
>
> Preformed and edited by Elias Hedlund
> Music by Olof Rockner
> #end#
>
> over and out

So, I probably watch this video close to everyday. It's hugely
inspirational. Like tons of people have said when you first put this out,
the whole thing is amazing. I love the music too, and wanted to thank you
for putting a link to Olof's site here.

Oh yeah, and as a scientist, I can definitely say we are all crackpots.

Looking forward to more from you!
Warren

martyq

Nov 29, 2007, 12:14:29 PM11/29/07
Norbi wrote:

> Jesus C H Rist!
>
> Everything was so clean and new and crazy and cool and ok i'm done!

How can videos like this not be clean. They're nothing but
trick, edit,trick, edit, trick, edit. Can anyone out there to a full 2 or
3 minute routine, first shot without a thousand edits?

Warren Hammond

Nov 29, 2007, 12:54:00 PM11/29/07
martyq wrote:

> Norbi wrote:
> >
> > Jesus C H Rist!
> >
> > Everything was so clean and new and crazy and cool and ok i'm done!
>

> How can videos like this not be clean. They're nothing but
> trick, edit,trick, edit, trick, edit. Can anyone out there to a full 2 or
> 3 minute routine, first shot without a thousand edits?

I hope this isn't a criticism of the video. Also, I think a more
appropriate description of this video would be trick, trick, trick, trick,
trick, trick, trick, trick, trick, trick, edit, trick, trick, trick,
trick, trick, trick, trick, trick, trick, trick, edit. Does putting a
video together this way make it not as good as the way you describe? I'll
answer that for you. No. I don't think either way is better than the
other, just different. It all depends on your goal in making the video.

I don't think you quite understood what Norbi was trying to say either.
There are plenty of videos out there that are "trick, edit,trick, edit,
trick, edit" where people barely get the tricks they hit and it looks
really sloppy. I'm interpretting what he said to be a comparison between
elias' video and the kind of video I described.

Warren

Al Teal

Nov 30, 2007, 1:59:34 AM11/30/07
elias wrote:

> I think all you scientists are crackpots
> 12 min 22 seconds
> 324 mb

I am sorry that I didn't take the time to watch your video any sooner.

That was very good club work and one of the best juggling videos I have
seen.
Great job.

When you produce your DVD and offer it for sale, I will buy it.
________
Al Teal