IJA

RossB

Jul 4, 2012, 4:18:02 PM7/4/12
Anyone from the Northeast going? Also anyone need hotel space? Debating to drive or fly...

Andrew Peterson

Jul 5, 2012, 5:27:39 PM7/5/12
Ross,

I'll be there.

-Slammin'

rossbe...@gmail.com

Jul 5, 2012, 10:25:09 PM7/5/12
Flying from CA or driving down?

JJ Conductor

Jul 5, 2012, 10:55:52 PM7/5/12
Andrew Peterson wrote:

> Ross,
>
> I'll be there.
>
> -Slammin'

Just curious, are you both going to the free WJF also? Why or why not?

Juggling Bob

Jul 6, 2012, 2:02:42 PM7/6/12
On Thursday, July 5, 2012 10:55:52 PM UTC-4, JJ Conductor wrote:
> Just curious, are you both going to the free WJF also? Why or why not?

And it starts....

Mike Moore

Jul 6, 2012, 7:52:36 PM7/6/12
It's a reasonable question. Personally, I've only been to the IJA (and only
once), and I made that decision because it was closer. Missing both this
year. Next year, IJA for sure, and maybe WJF, depending on location.

Mike

rossbe...@gmail.com

Jul 8, 2012, 11:47:08 PM7/8/12
On Thursday, July 5, 2012 10:55:52 PM UTC-4, JJ Conductor wrote:
Just the IJA

Little Paul

Jul 9, 2012, 5:01:48 AM7/9/12
Seems like a reasonable question to me. The WJF is free entry (some parts
are paid-for but they're optional)

If I was within striking distance of the IJA and the WJF I would be
seriously considering attending both - and I've never been what you might
call a WJF fanboy.

However, if I was within striking distance of both and working for an
American company with the standard pathetic amount of annual leave that seems
to go with that - well, I'd have to think very carefully about which I would
be using up that leave on.

I'm not sure from where I'm sat right now which of those two fests I would
pick if I could only go to one - so like Dave I too am interested to hear
from those who are only going to one fest, and their reasoning why they
picked that one over the other one.

-Paul
--
http://paulseward.com

Richard Kohut Jr

Jul 9, 2012, 2:47:33 PM7/9/12
RossB wrote:
> Anyone from the Northeast going? Also anyone need hotel space? Debating to drive or fly...

Well I personally am driving down for sure.

Richard Kohut Jr

Jul 9, 2012, 2:44:12 PM7/9/12
JJ Conductor wrote:
> Andrew Peterson wrote:
> >
> > Ross,
> >
> > I'll be there.
> >
> > -Slammin'
> >

> Just curious, are you both going to the free WJF also? Why or why not?

I wish that I could go to the WJF also, but even with it bing free, the travel
expense along with the hotel will probably make it too expensive for me. I
love that it's gonna be a free event and I would have gone absolutely had I
already not registered for the IJA fest months and months ago because the
rumors of where the WJF was going to be were way further away in travel
distance and I had IJA credit from doing the 2Count shows

Juggling Bob

Jul 9, 2012, 4:31:12 PM7/9/12
On Monday, July 9, 2012 5:01:48 AM UTC-4, Little Paul wrote:
> Seems like a reasonable question to me. The WJF is free entry (some parts
> are paid-for but they're optional)

On the surface, yes, I'm just suspicious Dave's motivations for asking.

> However, if I was within striking distance of both and working for an
> American company with the standard pathetic amount of annual leave that seems
> to go with that - well, I'd have to think very carefully about which I would
> be using up that leave on.

Yes, I certainly understand that.. On top of that, lots of layoffs due to bad economy have had people having to start back at the bottom with a new company thus cutting the available leave time even more. For Example, friend of mine was laid off from company he worked quite a while for (not sure how long, more than 12 years though) he had about 4 weeks of "personal time" per year at that job, got a new job and now only has 2 weeks of "personal time"

(Note: Not sure how it is in the UK, but some companies here provide "vacation time" and "sick time" some only provide "personal time" which is basically a way to provide lees time off over all..)

> I'm not sure from where I'm sat right now which of those two fests I would
> pick if I could only go to one - so like Dave I too am interested to hear
> from those who are only going to one fest, and their reasoning why they
> picked that one over the other one.

It will probably come down to geographic location. I have prior commitments that will prevent me from either, so this is purely academic.

But if I were able I would probably be attending IJA simple because Winston-Salem N.C. is 329 miles from me and Sioux Falls S.D. is 1416 miles from me.

This is despite my being a WJF supporter and having always wanted to see the Dakotas (North and South..)

rossbe...@gmail.com

Jul 9, 2012, 8:42:21 PM7/9/12
On Thursday, July 5, 2012 10:55:52 PM UTC-4, JJ Conductor wrote:
> Andrew Peterson wrote:
> >
> > Ross,
> >
> > I'll be there.
> >
> > -Slammin'
> >

> Just curious, are you both going to the free WJF also? Why or why not?
>

> --

I would go to the WJF too if I could afford it. Airfare + Hotel is quite pricey. IJA was a more affordable option.

Juggling fool

Jul 9, 2012, 9:20:28 PM7/9/12
JJ Conductor wrote:
> Andrew Peterson wrote:
> >
> > Ross,
> >
> > I'll be there.
> >
> > -Slammin'
> >

> Just curious, are you both going to the free WJF also? Why or why not?

I'm only going to the IJA and not the WJF because it's too expensive to go to
both, the IJA released its festival information WAY before the WJF, and I
wanted to go to the IJA more this year because I went to the WJF and not the
IJA last year. Also, while the WJF was a long convention last year, it wasn't
exactly big, and I wanted to get a feel for what a juggling festival on a more
massive scale would be like.

Little Paul

Jul 10, 2012, 11:33:39 AM7/10/12
On 2012-07-09, Juggling Bob <juggl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday, July 9, 2012 5:01:48 AM UTC-4, Little Paul wrote:
>> Seems like a reasonable question to me. The WJF is free entry (some parts
>> are paid-for but they're optional)
>
> On the surface, yes, I'm just suspicious Dave's motivations for asking.

Top Tip - don't throw morsels towards the trolls or they'll start feeding ;-)

>> However, if I was within striking distance of both and working for an
>> American company with the standard pathetic amount of annual leave that seems
>> to go with that - well, I'd have to think very carefully about which I would
>> be using up that leave on.
>
> Yes, I certainly understand that.. On top of that, lots of layoffs due to
> bad economy have had people having to start back at the bottom with a new
> company thus cutting the available leave time even more. For Example,
> friend of mine was laid off from company he worked quite a while for (not
> sure how long, more than 12 years though) he had about 4 weeks of "personal
> time" per year at that job, got a new job and now only has 2 weeks of
> "personal time"
>
> (Note: Not sure how it is in the UK, but some companies here provide
> "vacation time" and "sick time" some only provide "personal time" which
> is basically a way to provide lees time off over all..)

I get 25 days holiday to book and use how I please, an aditional 7 days off
which I don't get to pick the dates of (christmas, easter, bank holidays
etc) and sick leave on top of all that.

Oh, and I get an extra day a year I can use to "volunteer for a good cause"
and any compasionate leave required for funerals/caring commitments etc. If
I was to breed (rather unlikely) I'd get 2 weeks paternity leave as well.

You jealous yet? ;-)

>> I'm not sure from where I'm sat right now which of those two fests I would
>> pick if I could only go to one - so like Dave I too am interested to hear
>> from those who are only going to one fest, and their reasoning why they
>> picked that one over the other one.
>
> It will probably come down to geographic location. I have prior commitments
> that will prevent me from either, so this is purely academic.
>
> But if I were able I would probably be attending IJA simple because
> Winston-Salem N.C. is 329 miles from me and Sioux Falls S.D. is 1416 miles
> from me.

That's a very sound and reasonable criteria to use, and very similar for
my reasoning for not going to either event!

Thanks for the response.

-Paul
--
http://paulseward.com

Juggling Bob

Jul 10, 2012, 5:40:00 PM7/10/12
On Tuesday, July 10, 2012 11:33:39 AM UTC-4, Little Paul wrote:

> Top Tip - don&#39;t throw morsels towards the trolls or they&#39;ll start feeding ;-)

Point taken..

> You jealous yet? ;-)

Quite.

I have a friend in Germany and if I recall they get slightly more that that.

Interesting side note: met that friend in high-school, she was an exchange student here and, 26 years later, we still keep in contact..

No real point to that story, sorry..

> That&#39;s a very sound and reasonable criteria to use, and very similar for
> my reasoning for not going to either event!
>
> Thanks for the response.

No problem..

Aidan

Jul 10, 2012, 6:29:12 PM7/10/12
If you wanted to experience a juggling festival on a massive scale you
should have picked EJC.
That's where I'll be :)
Aidan.

learntojugglenow

Jul 11, 2012, 3:20:47 AM7/11/12
JJ Conductor wrote:

> Just curious, are you both going to the free WJF also? Why or why not?

Went to both last year. I'm only going to the WJF this year because I like
and support it and because it's closer (still a 28 hours drive) and
cheaper. I might end up sleeping in a car or camping out of town to save
even more.

Little Paul

Jul 11, 2012, 5:06:24 AM7/11/12
On 2012-07-10, Aidan <aida...@yahoo.cut.this.co.uk.nospam.com> wrote:
> Juggling fool wrote:
>>
>> exactly big, and I wanted to get a feel for what a juggling festival on a
>> more massive scale would be like.
>
> If you wanted to experience a juggling festival on a massive scale you
> should have picked EJC.

Well yes. EJC is *huge*

I don't have any concrete figures, but I think they scale stacks up some
thing like:

WJF - 100-150 people[1]
IJA - 200-300 people
BJC - 600-700 people
Israeli Fest - 1000ish?
EJC - 3000+

Anyone got any ideas how far off the real numbers I am with those?

-Paul
[1] Which I think makes it about the same attendance as Bungay
--
http://paulseward.com

Aidan

Jul 11, 2012, 8:49:11 AM7/11/12
You missed out Berlin, among others. Berlin has had about 800 for the last
three years.
It should be stressed that size isn't everything. Last year's EJC was the
biggest ever juggling
festival, but nowhere near the best! In fact my favourite EJC was
Svendborg, which 'only' had
about 2500 people. Also at smaller conventions there can be more of a
party feel.