Is someone interested in taking the IJDb clubs data?

colin.e...@gmail.com

May 30, 2012, 1:17:31 AM5/30/12
(cross posted to rec.juggling / JugglingEdge)

Since the IJDb shutdown I have received quite a few emails from people asking for contact information for various juggling clubs. As far as I know JugglingEdge, JuggleJunction et al. have not recreated the full list of clubs that the IJDb had. Does anyone want to take on this task so that I have something I can point these people towards?

Thanks! Colin E.

JJ Conductor

May 30, 2012, 11:44:05 AM5/30/12
Please feel free to point them toward JuggleJunction.org. I believe we do
have the full IJDb data set, and I've made a few additions since then.

That said, we are still making changes and (hopefully) improvements in how
we collect and display the data.

--Dave, Juggle Junction Conductor

Warren

May 30, 2012, 12:48:03 PM5/30/12
JJC,

I tried to search for a club in North Carolina...I got list, but, then could not click on link or anything to find out additional information about that club. Is that a bug? I was not logged in, should that matter?

cheers - Warren

JJ Conductor

May 30, 2012, 1:51:57 PM5/30/12
Warren wrote:

> JJC,
>
> I tried to search for a club in North Carolina...I got list, but, then
could not click on link or anything to find out additional information about
that club. Is that a bug? I was not logged in, should that matter?

> cheers - Warren

I'll look into it and let you know. No it shouldn't matter if you are
logged in.

JJ Conductor

May 30, 2012, 2:06:30 PM5/30/12
Warren wrote:
> JJC,
>
> I tried to search for a club in North Carolina...I got list, but, then
could not click on link or anything to find out additional information about
that club. Is that a bug? I was not logged in, should that matter?

> cheers - Warren

Oops, found the problem. The "live" version of JJ and the "development"
version have some mismatched parts. It may take me a couple hours, but I
should have it fixed soon.

Thanks for pointing it out!!

colin.e...@gmail.com

May 30, 2012, 4:16:09 PM5/30/12
On Wednesday, May 30, 2012 4:44:05 PM UTC+1, JJ Conductor wrote:

> Please feel free to point them toward JuggleJunction.org. I believe we do
> have the full IJDb data set, and I've made a few additions since then.

I didn't know that, cool. I'll point them your way :-)

JJ Conductor

May 30, 2012, 5:16:08 PM5/30/12
Warren wrote:

> I tried to search for a club in North Carolina...I got list, but, then
could not click on link or anything to find out additional information about
that club. Is that a bug? I was not logged in, should that matter?

> cheers - Warren

Okay Warren,
Thanks again for pointing out the problem. I think I have a patch in
place that shows most of the important data. A few comments about how
Juggle Junction plans to handle groups/clubs:

* We hope to provide a default webpage for those juggling clubs that don't
have their own website. With this in mind, we are deliberately
downplaying the "Juggle Junction" stuff on these pages. We don't use our
normal header (you can jump back to main site via footer link). Our hope
is to add additional information to clubs (such as photos and more text).
We might look at additional ways to customize these pages if they can be
done without causing huge maintenance headaches to the Juggle Junction
team.

* We hope to change (improve?) the way people can contact clubs. We would
like to have multiple contacts per clubs. We will (re)add the ability to
list yourself as a proud member of a particular club.

* We want to really try to protect club contacts from spam. We don't ever
plan to publish or make available emails. Instead we (almost) have in
place a system that can help make introductions. Then either party can
give out their own email on a case-by-case basis.

Hopefully we can get this additional functionality up and running soon.
Thanks for your patience, feedback, and suggestions.

Aidan

May 31, 2012, 3:57:34 AM5/31/12
hmm this patch seems to have messed up the search function. It now finds
no clubs in London!
I looked because I wanted to see if you could update clubs, as the price
shown for Tufnell Park
is out of date (they put the rent up).
Aidan.

JJ Conductor

May 31, 2012, 11:22:23 AM5/31/12
Aidan wrote:

> hmm this patch seems to have messed up the search function. It now finds
> no clubs in London!
> I looked because I wanted to see if you could update clubs, as the price
> shown for Tufnell Park
> is out of date (they put the rent up).
> Aidan.

Hi Aidan (We juggled a pattern you taught us last night),

As near as I can tell, there is no "Tuffnell Park" in the database. I did
some web searches and found an old JIS listing and a post from you talking
about it. Could it be listed under some other name? I don't know London
well enough to be able to check, but give me some words to look for and I
will try to find the listing, or verify that we need a new one.

Thanks,

--Dave, Juggle Junction Conductor

Aidan

May 31, 2012, 1:05:26 PM5/31/12
Hi Dave,
The club is listed as Jackson's jugglers and the search seems to work now!
However it's £4/£2.50
and I don't see a way of updating a club's status.
Aidan.

JJ Conductor

May 31, 2012, 2:00:24 PM5/31/12
Aidan wrote:
> Hi Dave,
> The club is listed as Jackson's jugglers and the search seems to work now!
> However it's Ł4/Ł2.50
> and I don't see a way of updating a club's status.
> Aidan.

Glad you found it. I found a bug in the update code, so I turned it off
for the moment. Hopefully I'll have it fixed and turn updating back on in
a few hours. When looking at club's data, the link for updating will be
in bottom right corner.

Thanks for your patience!

--Dave, Juggle Junction Conductor

JJ Conductor

Jun 1, 2012, 5:14:42 PM6/1/12
Aidan wrote:

> Hi Dave,
> The club is listed as Jackson's jugglers and the search seems to work now!
> However it's Ł4/Ł2.50
> and I don't see a way of updating a club's status.
> Aidan.

Okay, the updating code is back on again. Let me know if you have
problems. It is still a lot kludgier than I'd like it, but it should
work. Note: you will need to list yourself as a member of the club
before you can do the update.

--Dave, Juggle Junction Conductor