siteswap puzzle

Daniel S.

Apr 25, 2012, 1:17:43 AM4/25/12
I've been messing around with siteswap (minus the juggling :P) for the
last few days. I found some neat stuff that I'll post later, but I came
across what might be an interesting puzzle.

I'll list some siteswaps and you tell me which one comes next:

423531441
692973126
825999941

what comes next?

Daniel
[who'll probably add some to the list if nobody gets it soon]

Daniel S.

Apr 25, 2012, 1:24:00 AM4/25/12
Daniel S. wrote:

> I've been messing around with siteswap (minus the juggling :P) for the
> last few days. I found some neat stuff that I'll post later, but I came
> across what might be an interesting puzzle.
>
> I'll list some siteswaps and you tell me which one comes next:
>
> 423531441
> 692973126
> 825999941
>
> what comes next?
>
> Daniel
> [who'll probably add some to the list if nobody gets it soon]

Doh! scratch that...
Somehow I knew I'd botch the numbers... here's the real sequence*:

423531441
692973126
825799941

*hopefully

Daniel S.

Apr 26, 2012, 12:23:20 AM4/26/12
I'll add a new siteswap to the sequence every day until someone solves
it... or until the puzzle crashes.

423531441
692973126
825799941
999911

what's the next siteswap in the sequence?

Daniel S.

Apr 26, 2012, 12:28:56 AM4/26/12
Man I wish I could edit my posts :P
I accidentally hit 'submit' before I was finished... anyhow here's the new
sequence:

423531441
692973126
825799941
999911799

Dave Cheetham

Apr 26, 2012, 4:08:05 AM4/26/12
Hmmm... I'm still trying to work this out. But just a quick question -
is there one missing between the "4235..." one and the "6929..." one?

Cheers,
Dave

david

Apr 26, 2012, 9:24:22 AM4/26/12
999999990 ?

Hapiel

Apr 26, 2012, 12:55:38 PM4/26/12
I think it is 999911799

Daniel S.

Apr 26, 2012, 2:04:50 PM4/26/12
You got it!
But I already posted that one.
What's the next one?

423531441
692973126
825799941

Daniel S.

Apr 26, 2012, 9:43:27 PM4/26/12
No

Daniel S.

Apr 26, 2012, 9:43:52 PM4/26/12
no

Vid Warren

Apr 27, 2012, 3:40:35 PM4/27/12
995377779 ?
999189999 ?

Daniel S.

Apr 27, 2012, 6:42:30 PM4/27/12
nope. I'm interested how you came up with those numbers though :)
I'll post new siteswaps directly off the main thread to keep it a bit
organized.

Daniel S.

Apr 27, 2012, 6:44:11 PM4/27/12
Daniel S. wrote:

> I've been messing around with siteswap (minus the juggling :P) for the
> last few days. I found some neat stuff that I'll post later, but I came
> across what might be an interesting puzzle.
>
> I'll list some siteswaps and you tell me which one comes next:
>
> 423531441
> 692973126
> 825999941
>
> what comes next?
>
> Daniel
> [who'll probably add some to the list if nobody gets it soon]

423531441
692973126
825799941
999911799
111418911

Daniel S.

Apr 28, 2012, 5:04:02 PM4/28/12
Daniel S. wrote:

> I've been messing around with siteswap (minus the juggling :P) for the
> last few days. I found some neat stuff that I'll post later, but I came
> across what might be an interesting puzzle.
>
> I'll list some siteswaps and you tell me which one comes next:
>
> 423531441
> 692973126
> 825999941
>
> what comes next?
>
> Daniel
> [who'll probably add some to the list if nobody gets it soon]

423531441
692973126
825799941
999911799
111418911
112939911

Vid Warren

Apr 29, 2012, 10:43:13 AM4/29/12
To be honest, I just thought they looked to follow the pattern visually
and thought I might be in the ballpark.

I noticed that, if you take the distance from each throw to the throw of
the same position in the next pattern, looping through 9 back to 1, the
average is always an integer.

I.e.

423531441
27844....
692973126

So the distances between, their sum-totals and mean averages are as
follows:

278442675: 45 -> 5
223726824: 36 -> 4
174211758: 36 -> 4
111407211: 18 -> 2
001521000: 09 -> 1

It's got to have something to do with it, but why isn't the third one an
average of 3?

That's as close as I am so far.

--

423531441
692973126

Tobias

May 15, 2012, 2:56:27 PM5/15/12
Hi there,

Daniel wrote:
> 423531441
> 692973126
> 825799941
> 999911799
> 111418911
> 112939911

Just being reminded about the puzzle on ##juggling chat, I looked at it
again.

I still have no idea what the next line will be, but I think there is a
mistake in the first line. All the other lines share a certain property,
and the first line would obtain that property by switching the first
primes, making it

342531441

Daniel, could you please check which way the first line of your puzzle
needs to start?

--
Tobias

Daniel S.

May 16, 2012, 4:50:56 AM5/16/12
I've just looked over the first line.
It is indeed correct :)

Daniel Shultz

May 18, 2012, 4:32:34 AM5/18/12
Posted via JuggleHub as a test.

I've posted this riddle in 3 places and nobody has solved it.
I'm tempted to give hints, but what fun is a riddle if not for the figuring it
out part?

Aidan

Jul 21, 2012, 8:38:39 AM7/21/12
169291611
552972411
Aidan.

Daniel Shultz

Jul 22, 2012, 12:22:03 PM7/22/12

> Aidan wrote:
> 169291611
> 552972411
> Aidan.

YES!!!

Made my day :) Thanks.
- Daniel

Aidan

Jul 22, 2012, 4:48:53 PM7/22/12
Daniel Shultz wrote:

> > Aidan wrote:
> > 169291611
> > 552972411
> > Aidan.
>
> YES!!!
>
> Made my day :) Thanks.
> - Daniel

The seed for the process doesn't have to be a siteswap, but all subsequent
lines will be.

Dave Cheetham

Jul 23, 2012, 12:23:30 AM7/23/12
On 23/07/12 6:48 AM, Aidan wrote:

>>> Aidan wrote:
>>> 169291611
>>> 552972411
>>> Aidan.
>>
>> YES!!!
>>
>> Made my day :) Thanks.
>> - Daniel
>>

> The seed for the process doesn't have to be a siteswap, but all subsequent
> lines will be.
> Aidan.

Glad to see that someone solved it.

Care to share the formula?

Dave

Aidan

Jul 23, 2012, 11:49:07 AM7/23/12
It's basically the same idea as using the colour of the next nine cars to
pass to create a siteswap.