Word Siteswaps

Varkor

May 21, 2012, 12:21:51 PM5/21/12
I've often found it quite fun to type random words into a Siteswap animator to see which words are actually valid and, if they are, what they look like. Of course, before I was just using guesswork and never managed to find many more than "test" or the acronym "lol". I was recently interested in pursuing this further and having recently programmed a set of Sitswap-based scripts in JavaScript, decided to see if I could find out all the words that are valid Siteswaps.

I thought the results were quite interesting, so here are the results of my investigation.
There are 615 words that are valid Siteswaps out of the 23,892 words I checked.
The longest of these words are 9 letters long and are: "crotchety" and "teakettle".

The rest can be found here: http://7ringflash.com/fun/words.txt

I found it surprising just how many there were, and that there could be ones that long. What do you think about it?

markr...@gmail.com

May 21, 2012, 4:35:00 PM5/21/12
I did something like that a long time ago. Luckily, I'm a packrat with my code, so I was able to dust it off and run it against /usr/share/dict/words on my Mac. I came up with the following:

11: endosteally, tachhydrite
10: chilliness, hindersome, ischialgic, myelocoele, resistable, stubbiness
9: (77 words, including crotchety and teakettle)

Cheers,
-Mark Rebuck

Varkor

May 21, 2012, 5:12:04 PM5/21/12
Ah, I didn't think I would've been the first one. Your dictionary seems quite a lot more sizeable than mine, which is evident from the results. Thanks for sharing!

Peter Bone

May 22, 2012, 4:03:37 AM5/22/12
Varkor wrote:
> I've often found it quite fun to type random words into a Siteswap animator=
> to see which words are actually valid and, if they are, what they look lik=
> e. Of course, before I was just using guesswork and never managed to find m=
> any more than "test" or the acronym "lol". I was recently interested in pur=
> suing this further and having recently programmed a set of Sitswap-based sc=
> ripts in JavaScript, decided to see if I could find out all the words that =
> are valid Siteswaps.
>
> I thought the results were quite interesting, so here are the results of my=
> investigation.
> There are 615 words that are valid Siteswaps out of the 23,892 words I chec=
> ked.
> The longest of these words are 9 letters long and are: "crotchety" and "tea=
> kettle".
>
> The rest can be found here: http://7ringflash.com/fun/words.txt
>
> I found it surprising just how many there were, and that there could be one=
> s that long. What do you think about it?

From 2002
http://www.jugglehub.com/news/thread/%3C3d038c49$0$22999$bed6...@news.gradwell.net%3E

Peter Bone

May 22, 2012, 4:16:55 AM5/22/12
markr...@gmail.com wrote:
> I did something like that a long time ago. Luckily, I'm a packrat with my code, so I was able to dust it off and run it against /usr/share/dict/words on my Mac. I came up with the following:
>
> 11: endosteally, tachhydrite
> 10: chilliness, hindersome, ischialgic, myelocoele, resistable, stubbiness

Isn't 'resistable' actually spelled 'resistible'? Surprised it was in your
word list.

Varkor

May 22, 2012, 5:28:36 PM5/22/12
I'm way behind the times, obviously :P