How many can do 8 balls for over 100 catches?

David Ferman

Nov 27, 2008, 8:57:52 AM11/27/08
On IJDB there is Anthony Gatto, Bruce Sarafian, Josiah Jones, and me. Who
else is there?

Adam Rowney

Nov 27, 2008, 10:51:26 AM11/27/08
David Ferman wrote:

> On IJDB there is Anthony Gatto, Bruce Sarafian, Josiah Jones, and me. Who
> else is there?

Thomas Dietz

Erik Jernqvist

Nov 27, 2008, 12:08:41 PM11/27/08
David Ferman wrote:

> On IJDB there is Anthony Gatto, Bruce Sarafian, Josiah Jones, and me. Who
> else is there?

I think Haavard Hvidsten has done it. Also Lovigin has done 100+ catches
with 9, so just pretend that one of those balls isn't there. Garfield and
Sorenson and most probably Lucas has done 100 catches with 8 rings, which
is cooler anyway.

rhalf

Nov 27, 2008, 1:10:29 PM11/27/08
Erik Jernqvist wrote:

> David Ferman wrote:
> >
> > On IJDB there is Anthony Gatto, Bruce Sarafian, Josiah Jones, and me. Who
> > else is there?
> >

> I think Haavard Hvidsten has done it. Also Lovigin has done 100+ catches
> with 9, so just pretend that one of those balls isn't there. Garfield and
> Sorenson and most probably Lucas has done 100 catches with 8 rings, which
> is cooler anyway.

I don't think it's cooler. Balls are harder.

Ameron Rosvall

Nov 27, 2008, 3:35:43 PM11/27/08
Erik Jernqvist wrote:

> David Ferman wrote:
> >
> > On IJDB there is Anthony Gatto, Bruce Sarafian, Josiah Jones, and me. Who
> > else is there?
> >

> I think Haavard Hvidsten has done it. Also Lovigin has done 100+ catches
> with 9, so just pretend that one of those balls isn't there. Garfield and
> Sorenson and most probably Lucas has done 100 catches with 8 rings, which
> is cooler anyway.

Lajos Nereus can probably do 100 catches with 8 rings too.

Adrian Pole

Nov 27, 2008, 4:08:42 PM11/27/08

> I don't think it's cooler. Balls are harder.

Sorry to say, it looks it. Much more flowing than balls because you dont
need that often strained circular motion to such the extent as you do for
balls.

The Void

Nov 27, 2008, 4:15:55 PM11/27/08
rhalf wrote
> > > On IJDB there is Anthony Gatto, Bruce Sarafian, Josiah Jones, and me.
Who
> > > else is there?
> > >

> > I think Haavard Hvidsten has done it. Also Lovigin has done 100+ catches
> > with 9, so just pretend that one of those balls isn't there. Garfield and
> > Sorenson and most probably Lucas has done 100 catches with 8 rings, which
> > is cooler anyway.
>
> I don't think it's cooler. Balls are harder.

Balls are softer. Rings are harder....

The Void
Difficultural

Janek Vogel

Nov 27, 2008, 4:30:53 PM11/27/08
> > > (...) and most probably Lucas has done 100 catches with 8 rings, which
> > > is cooler anyway.

> > I don't think it's cooler. Balls are harder.

> Balls are softer. Rings are harder....

Balls must be warmer then...

Sondre Øverby

Nov 27, 2008, 5:15:46 PM11/27/08
Erik Jernqvist wrote:

> David Ferman wrote:
> >
> > On IJDB there is Anthony Gatto, Bruce Sarafian, Josiah Jones, and me. Who
> > else is there?
> >

> I think Haavard Hvidsten has done it.

I am pretty sure of that too.

Sondre

JugglerPeter

Nov 27, 2008, 11:27:14 PM11/27/08

Clearly you don't juggle Dube stage balls.

Daniele Caselli

Nov 28, 2008, 7:05:45 AM11/28/08
On 27/11/2008 The Void wrote:
> rhalf wrote
>>>>

>>> I think Haavard Hvidsten has done it. Also Lovigin
>>> has done 100+ catches with 9, so just pretend that
>>> one of those balls isn't there. Garfield and Sorenson
>>> and most probably Lucas has done 100 catches with 8
>>> rings, which is cooler anyway.
>>
>> I don't think it's cooler. Balls are harder.
>
> Balls are softer. Rings are harder....

Despite that, balls are still harder to juggle...
More spoon, more energy...

Let's look at Gatto's records... In *1989* he could do
1 min 17 sec of 8 rings, and he said he could easily
break this record (maybe he could almost twice it!).

With 8 balls his record is still 1 min 13 sec (2006).

Dan

--

«To define is to limit.»
Oscar Wilde, an ISO addicted :-)

gantenbein

Nov 28, 2008, 7:25:54 AM11/28/08
I get the pun,

but: Beanbags are softer, balls are harder!

Adam Rowney

Nov 28, 2008, 8:04:42 AM11/28/08
Daniele Caselli wrote:

> On 27/11/2008 The Void wrote:
> > rhalf wrote

> >> I don't think it's cooler. Balls are harder.
> >
> > Balls are softer. Rings are harder....
>
> Despite that, balls are still harder to juggle...
> More spoon, more energy...
>
> Let's look at Gatto's records... In *1989* he could do
> 1 min 17 sec of 8 rings, and he said he could easily
> break this record (maybe he could almost twice it!).

If it was so easy to break, why didn't he?

> With 8 balls his record is still 1 min 13 sec (2006).

This is one man, not the majority of jugglers.

Daniele Caselli

Nov 28, 2008, 8:17:41 AM11/28/08
On 28/11/2008 Adam Rowney wrote:
> Daniele Caselli wrote:
>>
>> On 27/11/2008 The Void wrote:
>>> rhalf wrote

>>> Balls are softer. Rings are harder....
>>
>> Despite that, balls are still harder to juggle...
>> More spoon, more energy...
>>
>> Let's look at Gatto's records... In *1989* he could do
>> 1 min 17 sec of 8 rings, and he said he could easily
>> break this record (maybe he could almost twice it!).
>
> If it was so easy to break, why didn't he?

For the same reason for which he doesn't break his
records
frequently: he doesn't want/need to...

> This is one man, not the majority of jugglers.

I know, but his skills are quite similar with balls and
rings... It's not the same for the majority of numbers
jugglers (take for example Thomas who started juggling
rings many years later and who's obviously still better
with balls, or Vova who started doing rings few years
ago, or Grigorij (Griša) Lovygin who's fantastic with
9 balls but as far as I know not with rings... and so
on!)

Adrian Pole

Nov 28, 2008, 11:12:55 AM11/28/08

> > I think Haavard Hvidsten has done it.
> >

> I am pretty sure of that too.
>

> Sondre

Did he ever practice 8 rings?

Adam Rowney

Nov 28, 2008, 12:16:37 PM11/28/08
Daniele Caselli wrote:

> On 28/11/2008 Adam Rowney wrote:
> > Daniele Caselli wrote:

> >> Despite that, balls are still harder to juggle...
> >> More spoon, more energy...
> >>
> >> Let's look at Gatto's records... In *1989* he could do
> >> 1 min 17 sec of 8 rings, and he said he could easily
> >> break this record (maybe he could almost twice it!).
> >
> > If it was so easy to break, why didn't he?
>
> For the same reason for which he doesn't break his
> records
> frequently: he doesn't want/need to...

Why? If something is easy then why not do it?
His claim is to be the best, and that is an important claim, then he would
want his records to be
higher. He did this with 7 rings before.

rhalf

Nov 28, 2008, 12:31:20 PM11/28/08

some men have harder, some others softer...

bill coad

Nov 28, 2008, 12:45:51 PM11/28/08

Claiming to be the best doesn't necessarily pushing for such records more
so than being the best performer.
I recall him saying that just because a singer can hold a particular note
longer than anyone else, that doesn't make them the best singer.

Adam Rowney

Nov 28, 2008, 1:09:02 PM11/28/08

Fair enough point, I still think if he wanted to stand above the rest even
more (and he does seem to
like that) then he would beat his records that were "easy" to beat.

Le_lemGo

Nov 28, 2008, 2:11:58 PM11/28/08

Ja, why indeed?
And why did Usain look around 10 metres before the finish line?

lemGo

Sondre Øverby

Nov 28, 2008, 4:59:04 PM11/28/08
Adrian Pole wrote:

> > > I think Haavard Hvidsten has done it.
> > >

> > I am pretty sure of that too.
> >

> > Sondre
> >

> Did he ever practice 8 rings?

I don't know.

Sondre

Sondre Øverby

Nov 28, 2008, 5:02:09 PM11/28/08

Well, he already did, why try to do it again when the records are going to
stand for yet some time? I believe he said he didn't try to make the 8
ball record any longer so that people wouldn't be discouraged from trying
to beat it. He recently said he thinks it is time someone beats some of
his records, and so he has not made them as extreme as he can. Remember
that for instance the 6 club record was his first attempt that day, after
a practice that tired him, and I think he had split a nail or something
like that. I am pretty sure he could go 10 minutes with 6 clubs if he
wanted to, but there is no point.

Sondre

Daniele Caselli

Nov 29, 2008, 8:11:05 AM11/29/08

Because he thinks is a waste of time, so he breaks some
records now and then just to remember us all that he's
still the best and he's way better than any other
excellent juggler.
Besides that he has no motivation to break frequently
*his own* records, knowing how far are all the other
jugglers!

And please note that the 7 ring records was made at the
end of his performance, so not for jugglers but just to
let "normal" people know he's so good that he can break
a 7 ring record whenever he wants.

Daniele

--

«Gli italiani, generosissimi in tutto, non sono generosi
quando si tratta di pensare.»