rec.juggling options

Scott Seltzer

May 23, 2012, 12:09:38 AM5/23/12
My name is Scott and I'm a r.j-aholic. I think that I've read about 95% of r.j posts over the past 15 or so years and I've posted well over 1000 messages as well.

So... I'm in the market for a new newsgroup reader. I've used proper newsreader software before but I use too many computers these days to make that useful. I've therefore spent the past couple days trying out different web solutions. I've pretty much only been using them so far to read and not post messages yet. Here are my initial findings:

www.jugglehub.com
Advantages:
* Hides spam.
* Embeds youtube videos.
* Categories are nice.
* Lets you expand/collapse within a thread (could be useful for very long threads which can be unweildy).
Disadvantages:
* Doesn't keep track of read/unread messages.
* Lets you change your email address per post (but does it remember it?).
* Opens to the first message in a thread instead of the most recent (related to not keeping track of read messages, I guess).

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/rec.juggling
Advantages:
* Automatically updates on the page when there are no posts so you don't have to refresh all the time.
* Hides spam.
Disadvantages:

www.jugglejunction.org/newsreader.php
Advantages:
* Uses the same infrastructure that IJDb used (though without all of the additions like siteswap animating).
* Tracks read/unread messages.
Disadvantages:
* Opens to the first message in a thread instead of the most recent.
* Spam that the other services hid/marked show up here.

ALL:
Advantages:
* All seem to update equally quickly when new messages arrive.
Disadvantages:
* None animage siteswaps like IJDb did.

Conclusion:
For now I like google groups. I know that the others are in early stages of development and I think that they have more potential for eventual juggler-specific features like animating siteswaps and such. I assume (hope) that many of my complaints will be dealt with in the near future and much of this post will be irrelevant soon. But hopefully it's enough information to help some others get started. (But how will they even find this message if they haven't already figured out some of that stuff?)

-Scott (still with a tear in his eye)

Scott Seltzer

May 24, 2012, 1:49:05 AM5/24/12
A couple more things about Google Groups:
* Shows timestamps in my time zone which is nice.
* Google doesn't thread messages (some forum-lovers may like that, but I don't).
* I sent the message above 24 hours ago and it didn't appear on any of the other news servers (as far as I know) so maybe Google Groups aren't reliable?

-Scott

Little Paul

May 24, 2012, 8:33:30 AM5/24/12
On 2012-05-24, Scott Seltzer <sc...@juggler.co.il> wrote:

> A couple more things about Google Groups:
> * Shows timestamps in my time zone which is nice.
> * Google doesn't thread messages (some forum-lovers may like that, but I don't).

It does if you click the "tree" button (on the new-look version, it's
the button immediately to the right of the refresh button)

> * I sent the message above 24 hours ago and it didn't appear on any of the
> other news servers (as far as I know) so maybe Google Groups aren't reliable?

Also, google groups doesn't appear to wrap lines at all, which is a bit annoying
for those who are reading in archaic newsreaders like slrn...

Of course, if I prod it enough I'm sure I could get slrn to rewrap the lines
and fix the problem at my end - but I'd rather whinge about it pointlessly ;-)

-Paul
--
http://paulseward.com

Varkor

May 24, 2012, 11:35:03 AM5/24/12
It seems to wrap lines for me...

JJ Conductor

May 24, 2012, 1:51:43 PM5/24/12
Scott Seltzer wrote:
..
> www.jugglejunction.org/newsreader.php
> Advantages:
> * Uses the same infrastructure that IJDb used (though without all of the
additions like siteswap animating).
> * Tracks read/unread messages.
> Disadvantages:
> * Opens to the first message in a thread instead of the most recent.
> * Spam that the other services hid/marked show up here.
..
> -Scott (still with a tear in his eye)

Scott, Thanks for the excellent feedback!

I just added the code so the post listings will auto-update in Juggle
Junction. I agree that most people will want that feature.

Sorry about the spam. Yes, we are working on that. At some point we will
need some eyes to help with that. A rec.juggling-aholic would be a big
help. *cough*hint*cough*

I want to think some more about whether the first or most recent post
should open in a thread. Why do you like most-recent option?

I'm actually not aware of what siteswap animating IJDb did. Sounds cool.
If anyone knows how that worked, please get in touch with me.

Please keep the feedback/suggestions coming! Thanks Scott,

--Dave, JuggleJunction.org Conductor

Varkor

May 24, 2012, 2:10:56 PM5/24/12
If you've not visited the thread before, it should take you to the first post. However, if you have, then you're probably not going to want to read the post again, so it should take you to the newest post. That's my opinion of what works best.

With Siteswap animating, the easiest option is probably just to display an iframe or something of the http://jugglinglab.sourceforge.net/siteswap.php? page, at the bottom of the post.

Adrian G

May 24, 2012, 11:04:13 PM5/24/12
Varkor wrote:
> If you've not visited the thread before, it should take you to the first post. However, if you have, then you're probably not going to want to read the post again, so it should take you to the newest post. That's my opinion of what works best.
>
> With Siteswap animating, the easiest option is probably just to display an iframe or something of the http://jugglinglab.sourceforge.net/siteswap.php? page, at the bottom of the post.

Personally I feel that going to the earliest unread post would be better. That
way you don't have to then move back through the posts to get context for what
you're reading.

Just my $0.02

Adrian

Varkor

May 25, 2012, 1:45:20 AM5/25/12
Yeah, that's an even better idea.

JJ Conductor

May 26, 2012, 5:16:05 PM5/26/12
Varkor wrote:

> > Personally I feel that going to the earliest unread post would be better.
That
> > way you don't have to then move back through the posts to get context for
what
> > you're reading.
> >
> > Just my $0.02
> >
> > Adrian
>
> Yeah, that's an even better idea.

Okay, that makes much more sense to me. It also was what I thought Juggle
Junction was doing. Now I have to figure out why it isn't.

Also that works for registered Juggle Junction users. But we'll have no
good way to tell what non-registered users have seen or read. Should they
always be sent to first/original post? To most recent?

Another approach is to have all posts in a thread seen at once. Often
with parts collapsed. Is that something people like or don't like? I
can see some advantages and some disadvantages to it.

Thanks for the feedback,

--Dave, Juggle Junction Conductor