Fatheads, Radical Fish, and PX3s

DavidCain

Aug 5, 2012, 9:30:34 PM8/5/12
For the juggling clubs collection of my historical juggling props exhibit, I need one Renegade Fathead, one Radical Fish, and one PX3. If anyone has an extra one they'd like to donate, please let me know. Thanks.
David Cain

Little Paul

Aug 6, 2012, 5:12:58 AM8/6/12
On 2012-08-06, DavidCain <davidcai...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> For the juggling clubs collection of my historical juggling props exhibit,
> I need one Renegade Fathead, one Radical Fish, and one PX3.

For the radical fish, do you want a pre-2000 or a post-2000 (or both, as
there are significant differences)

-Paul
--
http://paulseward.com

DavidCain

Aug 6, 2012, 11:07:21 AM8/6/12
On Sunday, August 5, 2012 9:30:34 PM UTC-4, DavidCain wrote:
> For the juggling clubs collection of my historical juggling props exhibit, I need one Renegade Fathead, one Radical Fish, and one PX3. If anyone has an extra one they'd like to donate, please let me know. Thanks.
>
> David Cain

What are the changes? BTW, did you get the first round of pictures I emailed you?
David

Little Paul

Aug 6, 2012, 11:52:09 AM8/6/12
On 2012-08-06, DavidCain <davidcai...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> What are the changes?

I'll assume that was aimed at me, even though you replied to your own post
instead of mine ;-)

They changed the moulds and manufacturing process for fish in 2000, partly
because the old moulds were worn but partly (some would say largely) to
cut costs.

The easiest way to spot the difference is to look at the moulding line on
the body of the club. Pre-2000 the seam goes around the bulge, post-2000
the seam goes along the body of the club.

There are also differences in the proportions, the thickness/quality of the
plastic used, the weight distribution, the diameter of the handles and (iir)
the shape of the knobs/ends.

I guess it depends if you're aiming for completeness or just a representation
of a different shape.

Talking of fish - does anyone know when they were first manufactured? The
earliest reference I've found to them is from 1992 and it seems to imply
that they'd been around for a few years by then.

> BTW, did you get the first round of pictures I emailed you?

I did get the first batch of photos, thanks! I've been meaning to reply to
your email to tell you just how jealous I am of some of the "celebrity"
items! :)

I might have a slightly more obscure club (the Freaks Acrobat) spare that
I could send your way. It's a notable club as being the first model of
club to have a plastic dowel, more than 10 years before the PX3 came out.

If I can find it (and it is indeed spare, and the shipping isn't too crazy)
would you be interested?

I doubt many of them made it over to the USA, they were a very British thing.

-Paul
--
http://paulseward.com

DavidCain

Aug 6, 2012, 4:08:10 PM8/6/12
Paul,
Yes, I would be interested in the Freaks Acrobat, since the innovation I was looking for in the PX3 was the plastic dowel! I learn something new every day. I suppose that the oldest Radical Fish I can find would be best. As far as the clubs go, I'm not looking for one of every clubs ever made, just those that were innovative in their design, manufacture, or shape. I recently talked to someone who made some very innovative clubs in the 70's, but they don't have a single club left or even know of anyone who does! I also talked to someone else whose father made a club in the 70's with a wooden dowel, plastic frame, and fiberglass shell! He's looking for one of the clubs for me, but isn't optimistic about finding one. The search goes on! I'll try to send you more pics from the collection later today. Thanks.
David