3 ball stacked balance

Peter Bone

Nov 2, 2011, 1:34:23 PM11/2/11
I'd like to know if anyone is able to do this trick or knows of anyone who
can? I'm talking about holding a ball and balancing (not spinning) two
other balls on top, one on top of the other. I know of 2 videos showing
this trick, by Rastelli and Rabello.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mowNKg1vhl8#t=2m41
http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=10547 (half way though the video)

I worked on this for a while a few years ago but didn't get very far. The
dynamics are quite interesting. It's not a double inverted pendulum
because you actually have 4 degrees of freedom (movement forwards and
backwards and rotation of the bottom ball in either direction). You move
the bottom ball to try to keep it under the top ball while keeping the
middle ball in line with the top and bottom ball by rotating the bottom
ball. This is a lot harder than it sounds because the 2 movements are
coupled and you need very fast reactions.

RobvanHeijst

Nov 2, 2011, 1:55:30 PM11/2/11
I saw some videos from contact jugglers with acrylics doing it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcKZ7_autX0&list=FLubrB8WyXeWgQXyZf_KnRiw&index=5&feature=plpp_video
at 1:45
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5P9sAN_rww 2:52

And this one is the most amazing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lup-WhkU5J4&list=LLubrB8WyXeWgQXyZf_KnRiw&index=32&feature=plpp_video
9:14

Balancing 3 balls stacked in your hand is easy, so why wouldn´t you put
them on your head. :o

pumpkineater23

Nov 2, 2011, 2:16:03 PM11/2/11
RobvanHeijst wrote:

> Peter Bone wrote:
> >
> > I'd like to know if anyone is able to do this trick or knows of anyone who
> > can? I'm talking about holding a ball and balancing (not spinning) two
> > other balls on top, one on top of the other. I know of 2 videos showing
> > this trick, by Rastelli and Rabello.
> >
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mowNKg1vhl8#t=2m41
> > http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=10547 (half way though the video)
> >
> > I worked on this for a while a few years ago but didn't get very far. The
> > dynamics are quite interesting. It's not a double inverted pendulum
> > because you actually have 4 degrees of freedom (movement forwards and
> > backwards and rotation of the bottom ball in either direction). You move
> > the bottom ball to try to keep it under the top ball while keeping the
> > middle ball in line with the top and bottom ball by rotating the bottom
> > ball. This is a lot harder than it sounds because the 2 movements are
> > coupled and you need very fast reactions.

Jeepers. That's incredible. How important are the different sizes of each
ball?

pete

David Cain

Nov 2, 2011, 2:18:21 PM11/2/11
When I saw the title of the thread, I immediately thought of the
Rabello video. I've always been super impressed by that brief trick.
It's much more impressive to me than the acrylic balls. Rabello is
dynamically tweaking the balance. Super difficult and obviously not
gimmicked.
David Cain

Jay Linn

Nov 2, 2011, 2:29:05 PM11/2/11
On Wed, 02 Nov 2011 18:16:03 -0000, pumpkineater23
<pumpkin...@hotmail.com.nospam.com> wrote:

<snip>

>> And this one is the most amazing:
>>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lup-WhkU5J4&list=LLubrB8WyXeWgQXyZf_KnRiw&index=32&feature=plpp_video
>> 9:14
>
> Jeepers. That's incredible. How important are the different sizes of each
> ball?

Not as important as whatever methods he's using to gaff his props. It's a
fake - probably a bloody hard fake that takes a lot of skill and practice
to pull off, but a fake nonetheless.

My guess is that the balls either have some sort of tiny ring-shaped
spacer between them and between the bottom one and his head, or that they
have small flat areas polished onto them which would be effectively
invisible whilst the balls are in motion but will provide just enough
stability when stacked. He moves his head quite a bit and clearly isn't
struggling to hold them there, ergo it's a (just) stable stack.

--
Jay Linn

http://www.reddit.com/r/juggling - like rec.juggling but slower and with
extra porn and graphical smilies. What's not to like?

RobvanHeijst

Nov 2, 2011, 2:32:22 PM11/2/11
I扉e never heard of him and I can愒 find him on youtube. Can you post a
link?

RobvanHeijst

Nov 2, 2011, 2:34:45 PM11/2/11
I have no idea, but all the videos I know have different size balls. Maybe
it has something to do with concentrated weight.

Rob

David Cain

Nov 2, 2011, 2:37:39 PM11/2/11
On Nov 2, 2:29 pm, "Jay Linn" <a...@in.my.heade.rs> wrote:
> On Wed, 02 Nov 2011 18:16:03 -0000, pumpkineater23
>
> <pumpkineate...@hotmail.com.nospam.com> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> >> And this one is the most amazing:
>
> >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lup-WhkU5J4&list=LLubrB8WyXeWgQXyZf_Kn...
> >> 9:14
>
> > Jeepers. That's incredible. How important are the different sizes of each
> > ball?
>
>         Not as important as whatever methods he's using to gaff his props. It's a
> fake - probably a bloody hard fake that takes a lot of skill and practice
> to pull off, but a fake nonetheless.
>
>         My guess is that the balls either have some sort of tiny ring-shaped
> spacer between them and between the bottom one and his head, or that they
> have small flat areas polished onto them which would be effectively
> invisible whilst the balls are in motion but will provide just enough
> stability when stacked. He moves his head quite a bit and clearly isn't
> struggling to hold them there, ergo it's a (just) stable stack.
>
> --
> Jay Linn

Totally. No doubt.

David Cain

Nov 2, 2011, 2:38:51 PM11/2/11
On Nov 2, 2:32 pm, robvanhei...@hotmail.com.nospam.com (RobvanHeijst)
wrote:
> David Cain wrote:
>
> > When I saw the title of the thread, I immediately thought of the
> > Rabello video.  I've always been super impressed by that brief trick.
> > It's much more impressive to me than the acrylic balls.  Rabello is
> > dynamically tweaking the balance.  Super difficult and obviously not
> > gimmicked.
> > David Cain
>
> I´ve never heard of him and I can´t find him on youtube. Can you post a
> link?
>
> --

Not on youtube.
http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=10547
David Cain

RobvanHeijst

Nov 2, 2011, 2:57:43 PM11/2/11
Jay Linn wrote:

> On Wed, 02 Nov 2011 18:16:03 -0000, pumpkineater23
> <pumpkin...@hotmail.com.nospam.com> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> >> And this one is the most amazing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lup-WhkU5J4&list=LLubrB8WyXeWgQXyZf_KnRiw&index=32&feature=plpp_video
> >> 9:14
> >
> > Jeepers. That's incredible. How important are the different sizes of each
> > ball?
>
> Not as important as whatever methods he's using to gaff his props. It's a
> fake - probably a bloody hard fake that takes a lot of skill and practice
> to pull off, but a fake nonetheless.
>
> My guess is that the balls either have some sort of tiny ring-shaped
> spacer between them and between the bottom one and his head, or that they
> have small flat areas polished onto them which would be effectively
> invisible whilst the balls are in motion but will provide just enough
> stability when stacked. He moves his head quite a bit and clearly isn't
> struggling to hold them there, ergo it's a (just) stable stack.

Maybe it愀 fake, but I think that that still would a lot harder than just
a one ball headstall.
Do you also think the other ones are fake?

Rob

RobvanHeijst

Nov 2, 2011, 3:03:12 PM11/2/11
Jay Linn wrote:

> On Wed, 02 Nov 2011 18:16:03 -0000, pumpkineater23
> <pumpkin...@hotmail.com.nospam.com> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> >> And this one is the most amazing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lup-WhkU5J4&list=LLubrB8WyXeWgQXyZf_KnRiw&index=32&feature=plpp_video
> >> 9:14
> >
> > Jeepers. That's incredible. How important are the different sizes of each
> > ball?
>
> Not as important as whatever methods he's using to gaff his props. It's a
> fake - probably a bloody hard fake that takes a lot of skill and practice
> to pull off, but a fake nonetheless.
>
> My guess is that the balls either have some sort of tiny ring-shaped
> spacer between them and between the bottom one and his head, or that they
> have small flat areas polished onto them which would be effectively
> invisible whilst the balls are in motion but will provide just enough
> stability when stacked. He moves his head quite a bit and clearly isn't
> struggling to hold them there, ergo it's a (just) stable stack.

Oh and do you think this is fake?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Er7Ku-xpROU&feature=player_embedded#!
This are 2 balls instead of 3, he doesn´t move his head and he moves his
arms really slow down.

Jay Linn

Nov 2, 2011, 3:49:23 PM11/2/11
On Wed, 02 Nov 2011 18:57:43 -0000, RobvanHeijst
<robvan...@hotmail.com.nospam.com> wrote:

> Jay Linn wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 02 Nov 2011 18:16:03 -0000, pumpkineater23
>> <pumpkin...@hotmail.com.nospam.com> wrote:
>>
>> <snip>

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lup-WhkU5J4&list=LLubrB8WyXeWgQXyZf_KnRiw&index=32&feature=plpp_video
>> >
>> > Jeepers. That's incredible. How important are the different sizes of
>> each
>> > ball?
>>
>> Not as important as whatever methods he's using to gaff his props.
>> It's a
>> fake - probably a bloody hard fake that takes a lot of skill and
>> practice
>> to pull off, but a fake nonetheless.
>>
>> My guess is that the balls either have some sort of tiny ring-shaped
>> spacer between them and between the bottom one and his head, or that
>> they
>> have small flat areas polished onto them which would be effectively
>> invisible whilst the balls are in motion but will provide just enough
>> stability when stacked. He moves his head quite a bit and clearly isn't
>> struggling to hold them there, ergo it's a (just) stable stack.
>>
> Maybe it´s fake, but I think that that still would a lot harder than just
> a one ball headstall.
> Do you also think the other ones are fake?

Yes, any multi-ball stack that shows no evidence of correction and a
resilience to even minute movements must have some help from somewhere.

But I am entirely in agreement that it must be very difficult, a lot
harder than a single ball stall, but not as difficult as it is pretending
to be.

Disclaimer : I am not a contact juggler. But I do have a reasonable grasp
of physics.

Jay Linn

Nov 2, 2011, 3:55:18 PM11/2/11
On Wed, 02 Nov 2011 19:49:23 -0000, Jay Linn <ad...@in.my.heade.rs> wrote:

<snip>

>> Maybe it´s fake, but I think that that still would a lot harder than
>> just
>> a one ball headstall.
>> Do you also think the other ones are fake?

Also, if you watch him as he first prepares to stack the second ball, you
might conclude that he is seeking the flat spot with his fingers, rolling
it in his hands to find the correct orientation. But that may just be my
suspicion and cynicism getting the better of me ...

David Cain

Nov 2, 2011, 4:45:35 PM11/2/11
On Nov 2, 3:03 pm, robvanhei...@hotmail.com.nospam.com (RobvanHeijst)
wrote:

> Oh and do you think this is fake?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Er7Ku-xpROU&feature=player_embedded#!
> This are 2 balls instead of 3, he doesn´t move his head and he moves his
> arms really slow down.
>
> --

Yes, he's obviously finding a certain flat spot on the ball. It is a
very careful, delicate balance, but it's not a dynamic balance (i.e.
making small corrections based on sight or feel.) To do a dynamic
balance of two balls, I think you would have to have visual feedback.
It is possible, but very difficult, to balance one object with only
feel. A large ball is easier than a club, but I have seen that done.
Too lazy right now to look for a video link.
David Cain

Juggling fool

Nov 2, 2011, 9:20:32 PM11/2/11
Peter Bone wrote:

> I'd like to know if anyone is able to do this trick or knows of anyone who
> can? I'm talking about holding a ball and balancing (not spinning) two
> other balls on top, one on top of the other. I know of 2 videos showing
> this trick, by Rastelli and Rabello.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mowNKg1vhl8#t=2m41
> http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=10547 (half way though the video)

I don't think I've ever heard so many juggling puns in a row before.

Peter Bone

Nov 3, 2011, 6:52:59 AM11/3/11
Just wanted to agree with what others have said. I find it very difficult
to believe that these are dynamic balances. There are no observable
corrections and they clearly place the balls very carefully to match up
the flattened surfaces. I'm not saying it's not hard but I'm still looking
for someone able to do it the way Rastelli and Rabello did. I think it
would be quite difficult with acrylic balls because there's very little
friction between them and they're so small that you would need very fast
reflexes.
Pete

Peter Bone

Nov 3, 2011, 6:55:05 AM11/3/11
RobvanHeijst wrote:

> David Cain wrote:
> >
> > When I saw the title of the thread, I immediately thought of the
> > Rabello video. I've always been super impressed by that brief trick.
> > It's much more impressive to me than the acrylic balls. Rabello is
> > dynamically tweaking the balance. Super difficult and obviously not
> > gimmicked.
> > David Cain
> >

> I扉e never heard of him and I can愒 find him on youtube. Can you post a
> link?

Did you read my original post?

RobvanHeijst

Nov 3, 2011, 10:32:31 AM11/3/11
Yes I扉e read it, but I was too lazy to watch the whole video, so I
scrolled forward and couldn愒 find it.
Sorry for that...

geezer

Nov 3, 2011, 4:01:45 PM11/3/11
Bowling balls come pre-gaffed with fingerholes. Here's 9 stacked. Now
if he could just get this up to his head.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2pHoX9f-ss
You would probably only need to stack 2 or 3 on your head for a
record.