Hammer juggling video.

jani

Oct 7, 2007, 2:11:52 AM10/7/07

In case someone hasn't seen this, here is a pretty cool juggling video
with hammers:

http://break.com/index/skills-with-a-hammer.html

What does the jury say? Trick shots? Editing?

jani
--
- Jani's Photo of the Day -
An attempt to shoot and publish

Jay Linn

Oct 7, 2007, 4:46:29 AM10/7/07
jani wrote:

> In case someone hasn't seen this, here is a pretty cool juggling video
> with hammers:
>
> http://break.com/index/skills-with-a-hammer.html
>
> What does the jury say?

Guilty! Take him down.

--
Jay Linn

Will kill, marry, and shag you. In that order.

Drew_Ministry

Oct 7, 2007, 10:06:29 AM10/7/07
jani wrote:

> In case someone hasn't seen this, here is a pretty cool juggling video
> with hammers:
>
> http://break.com/index/skills-with-a-hammer.html
>
> What does the jury say? Trick shots? Editing?
>
> jani

I think the juggling at the beginning is real, and changes to very
well-done CGI just before he starts hitting nails, the last 3 throws are
the give away. I had to watch it 10 times to decide that, so I rate the
quality of the CGI v. good!

I think it could be done IRL, if the hole for the nail is pre-drilled, so
it doesn't take much force to push the nail in. But there would be a lot
of dents in the bit of joist from practising!

Verdict: I like it. Thanks for posting.
Drew

Dave Altman

Oct 7, 2007, 10:37:05 AM10/7/07
Drew_Ministry wrote:
> I think the juggling at the beginning is real, and changes to very
> well-done CGI just before he starts hitting nails, the last 3 throws are
> the give away. I had to watch it 10 times to decide that, so I rate the
> quality of the CGI v. good!
>
> I think it could be done IRL, if the hole for the nail is pre-drilled, so
> it doesn't take much force to push the nail in. But there would be a lot
> of dents in the bit of joist from practising!

I share your take on it, Drew, but why are the last three throws the give
away? I thought about the pre-drilled hole, too. If they faked it
completely, they did a damn good job. The sounds of the hammers as they
tapped each other in his hand, the rhythm of the juggle to the hammers in
close up, to the sound of hitting the nail, and finally the sound of the
hammers as they stuck into the board seemed totally real.

He could have practiced on another joist, so the lack of dents doesn't
discount it from being un-faked. I do have my doubts because it seems
impossible and unreal, but I get the same feeling with 60% of the juggling
videos I see. I tend to believe what I see in videos if I can't obviously
tell it's fake, but I would like to see someone do it live before I am
totally awed.

yermej

Oct 7, 2007, 11:40:09 AM10/7/07
On Oct 7, 9:37 am, davealt...@hughes.net.nospam.com (Dave Altman)
wrote:

> Drew_Ministry wrote:
> > I think the juggling at the beginning is real, and changes to very
> > well-done CGI just before he starts hitting nails, the last 3 throws are
> > the give away. I had to watch it 10 times to decide that, so I rate the
> > quality of the CGI v. good!
>
> > I think it could be done IRL, if the hole for the nail is pre-drilled, so
> > it doesn't take much force to push the nail in. But there would be a lot
> > of dents in the bit of joist from practising!
>
> I share your take on it, Drew, but why are the last three throws the give
> away?

The gravity isn't right at the peak of the throws. The hammers
transition from rising to falling too quickly, I think.

Dave Altman

Oct 7, 2007, 12:27:04 PM10/7/07
yermej wrote:
> The gravity isn't right at the peak of the throws. The hammers
> transition from rising to falling too quickly, I think.

Wouldn't the recoil from hitting the nail expain that?

Was Drew saying the last three throws of hitting the nail were the
give-away that it was fake, or the last three throws where they were stuck
in the beam?

Vagabond

Oct 7, 2007, 12:27:20 PM10/7/07
jani wrote:

> In case someone hasn't seen this, here is a pretty cool juggling video
> with hammers:
>
> http://break.com/index/skills-with-a-hammer.html
>
> What does the jury say? Trick shots? Editing?
>
> jani

You can see the frame rate change as it hits the nail, sure sign of CG,
but, it's superb CGI.
The last 3 throws are definetly fake though. And with the dent theory,
even if it was real, no one would sensibly shoot something like this in
one shot and then leave it, there'd be about 10 at least, usually for
cutaways o trick editting, so there should be dents from those 3 throws in
there.

Chaeps

Oct 7, 2007, 1:11:31 PM10/7/07
Well,
I think this is a pretty good made video!
For me the clue is the trajectory of the hammers: At the very top, they
won't have that much energy to push the nail so wide inside with each hit.
The nail is pretty thick, it would be much more force needed to push the
nail into the wood with so few strokes.
And, after hitting the nail the rotation of the hammers would be alterd,
no way of keeping the pattern so stable that he can hit the nail perfectly
12 times in a row!

But anyway, very nice, I had to watch it several times!

yermej

Oct 7, 2007, 2:59:00 PM10/7/07
On Oct 7, 11:27 am, davealt...@hughes.net.nospam.com (Dave Altman)
wrote:

I was thinking of the three throws before he threw them into the beam.

Little Paul

Oct 8, 2007, 6:32:17 AM10/8/07
On 2007-10-07, jani <givenname...@gmail.com> wrote:

> What does the jury say?

Stop.

-Paul

Dave Barnes

Oct 8, 2007, 6:46:34 AM10/8/07

Break it down.

Dave

jani

Oct 8, 2007, 6:51:27 AM10/8/07
Dave Barnes wrote:
> Little Paul wrote:
>> On 2007-10-07, jani <givenname...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> What does the jury say?
>> Stop.
>>
>> -Paul
>>

> Break it down.

Given that the juggler was German, I think this is more fitting:

http://files.myopera.com/velmu/blog/hammerzeit.jpg

Roger Light

Oct 9, 2007, 10:51:37 AM10/9/07
jani wrote:

> http://break.com/index/skills-with-a-hammer.html
>
> What does the jury say? Trick shots? Editing?

I'm not really sure, but one thing that's worth pointing out is the
difference in the apparent motion of the hammers when zoomed in/zoomed out.
When zoomed out, the point of rotation is very close to the head of the
hammer as you would expect - meaning that the head doesn't move a great
deal. You can see in the last few throws before the hits start that when
the handle is horizontal there really isn't that much oomph at the head.

Now considering the hits themselves, a fair few of them seem to be when the
handle is horizontal. To get the force I suppose he could be spinning them
faster, but the video doesn't bear that out. It could also be possible that
he's throwing them in a completely different manner when they are zoomed in
and it just looks as though they are "normal" throws.

Cheers,

Roger

haffnium72

Oct 9, 2007, 7:06:55 PM10/9/07
Dave Barnes wrote:

> Little Paul wrote:
> >
> > On 2007-10-07, jani <givenname...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > What does the jury say?
> >
> > Stop.
> >
> > -Paul
> >

> Break it down.
>
> Dave

I think he was looking for, "hammer time".

-jöhn

popstar_dave

Oct 9, 2007, 7:56:41 PM10/9/07
haffnium72 wrote:

> Dave Barnes wrote:
> >
> > Little Paul wrote:

> > > Stop.
> > >
> > > -Paul
> > >

> > Break it down.
> >
> > Dave
> >

> I think he was looking for, "hammer time".
>
> -jöhn

Not, "Collaborate and Listen"?

Dave

yermej

Oct 9, 2007, 8:49:21 PM10/9/07
On Oct 9, 6:56 pm, dcheet...@gmail.com.nospam.com (popstar_dave)
wrote:

> haffnium72 wrote:
>
> > Dave Barnes wrote:

> > > Break it down.
>
> > > Dave
>
> > I think he was looking for, "hammer time".
>
> > -jöhn
>
> Not, "Collaborate and Listen"?
>
> Dave
>
> --

Wow..........just...wow.

Well met.

haffnium72

Oct 9, 2007, 10:19:53 PM10/9/07
popstar_dave wrote:

> haffnium72 wrote:
> >
> > Dave Barnes wrote:

> > > Break it down.
> > >
> > > Dave
> > >

> > I think he was looking for, "hammer time".
> >
> > -jöhn
> >

> Not, "Collaborate and Listen"?
You are thinking of a rapper of the wrong race.
See, Vanilla Ice was on a brand new mission.

popstar_dave

Oct 9, 2007, 11:50:54 PM10/9/07

Thanks, but I think you'll find that he actually had a brand new invention.
=P

Dave

jani

Oct 10, 2007, 12:37:07 AM10/10/07
popstar_dave wrote:
> haffnium72 wrote:
>> popstar_dave wrote:

>>> Not, "Collaborate and Listen"?
>> You are thinking of a rapper of the wrong race.
>> See, Vanilla Ice was on a brand new mission.
>
> Thanks, but I think you'll find that he actually had a brand new invention.

Do you happen to know if it was that invention that grabbed a hold of
him tightly and then made him flow like a harpoon, both daily and nightly?

Sounds serious to me. Especially as he didn't know if it would ever stop.

Little Paul

Oct 10, 2007, 9:00:08 AM10/10/07
On 2007-10-10, jani <givenname...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sounds serious to me. Especially as he didn't know if it would ever stop.

Presumably said invention involved a radioactive source, given what
happens when he turns the lights out.

-Paul

popstar_dave

Oct 10, 2007, 8:05:41 PM10/10/07

And would inspire anti-social behaviours, such as: rocking a mic like a
vandal, lighting up stages, and waxing chumps like a candle.

Dave

...Word to your mother.

jani

Oct 11, 2007, 12:39:42 AM10/11/07
popstar_dave wrote:
> Little Paul wrote:
>> On 2007-10-10, jani <givenname...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Sounds serious to me. Especially as he didn't know if it would ever stop.
>> Presumably said invention involved a radioactive source, given what
>> happens when he turns the lights out.
>
> And would inspire anti-social behaviours, such as: rocking a mic like a
> vandal, lighting up stages, and waxing chumps like a candle.

But, fortunately, if we survive that, there is time for some merriment
when the dancing to the speaker that booms commences.

jani, worrying about 'shrooms

popstar_dave

Oct 11, 2007, 1:07:51 AM10/11/07
jani wrote:

> popstar_dave wrote:
> > Little Paul wrote:
> >> Presumably said invention involved a radioactive source, given what
> >> happens when he turns the lights out.
> >
> > And would inspire anti-social behaviours, such as: rocking a mic like a
> > vandal, lighting up stages, and waxing chumps like a candle.
>
> But, fortunately, if we survive that, there is time for some merriment
> when the dancing to the speaker that booms commences.
>
> jani, worrying about 'shrooms

You should be worrying about 'shrooms. I hear they're deadly, when a dope
melody is playing. But I'd assume that anything less than that would be
illegal.

Dave

Little Paul

Oct 11, 2007, 7:22:12 AM10/11/07
On 2007-10-11, popstar_dave <dche...@gmail.com.nospam.com> wrote:

> You should be worrying about 'shrooms. I hear they're deadly, when a dope
> melody is playing. But I'd assume that anything less than that would be
> illegal.

I hope you're a good shot, and can get near to the center of the target,
otherwise that child is going to be upset by their lack of recreational
activity.

-Paul

popstar_dave

Oct 11, 2007, 9:57:54 PM10/11/07

I also hope that Jani doesn't mind us taking this thread off topic.
Because if this is something with which he takes issue, I will address and
resolve his complaint. He may also wish to examine the chorus of my
latest song whilst a man employed to select and play records engages in
that activity.

Dave

jani

Oct 12, 2007, 12:16:26 AM10/12/07
popstar_dave wrote:
> Little Paul wrote:
>> On 2007-10-11, popstar_dave <dche...@gmail.com.nospam.com> wrote:
>>> You should be worrying about 'shrooms. I hear they're deadly, when a dope
>>> melody is playing. But I'd assume that anything less than that would be
>>> illegal.
>> I hope you're a good shot, and can get near to the center of the target,
>> otherwise that child is going to be upset by their lack of recreational
>> activity.
>
> I also hope that Jani doesn't mind us taking this thread off topic.
> Because if this is something with which he takes issue, I will address and
> resolve his complaint. He may also wish to examine the chorus of my
> latest song whilst a man employed to select and play records engages in
> that activity.

I have no problems with that, especially now when the festivities are
pushing themselves suddenly off the ground and into the air using their
legs.

jani

mark1991

Oct 12, 2007, 2:32:06 PM10/12/07
Hi there,

Thanks for posting this video! It is certainly interesting, whether it be
real or not, and it keeps us jugglers on our toes - especially if
non-jugglers think we can actually do this! LOL!

On a personal note, when I was younger I tried juggling mallets before I
tried knives or torches and they work in a very similar way. It is near
impossible to catch the hammer/mallet end because thats where all the
weight is! It is interesting to try, but be warned it does completely mess
up your club juggling!

Many thanks

Mark Watson

notsewkram