Who knows the 7 Ball and 9 Ball Records of Vova, Doug, Toby, Sergjey and Lauge ?

C*C*K

Feb 15, 2012, 12:44:21 PM2/15/12
It would be nice to know the 7 and 9 Ball Cascade Records of :

-Vova Galchenko
-Doug Sayers
-Toby Walker
-Sergjey Ignatov (Senior)
-Lauge Benjaminsen

Mabye someone knows ( the Record Database hasn´t these data ).

Thanks.

Norbi

Feb 15, 2012, 1:21:38 PM2/15/12
C*C*K wrote:

> It would be nice to know the 7 and 9 Ball Cascade Records of :
>
> -Vova Galchenko
> -Doug Sayers
> -Toby Walker
> -Sergjey Ignatov (Senior)
> -Lauge Benjaminsen
>
> Mabye someone knows ( the Record Database hasn´t these data ).
>
> Thanks.

Not as long as Gatto.

Vasili

Feb 15, 2012, 2:29:18 PM2/15/12
C*C*K wrote:

> It would be nice to know the 7 and 9 Ball Cascade Records of :
>
> -Vova Galchenko
> -Doug Sayers
> -Toby Walker
> -Sergjey Ignatov (Senior)
> -Lauge Benjaminsen
>
> Mabye someone knows ( the Record Database hasn´t these data ).
>
> Thanks.

As for Vova he never tried to set the records in 7 and 9 balls, but I
personally saw him doing more than 100 catches of 9 balls and for 7 balls
it's just a matter of stamina, not skills.

thatguy

Feb 15, 2012, 5:27:48 PM2/15/12
C*C*K wrote:

> It would be nice to know the 7 and 9 Ball Cascade Records of :
>
> -Vova Galchenko
> -Doug Sayers
> -Toby Walker
> -Sergjey Ignatov (Senior)
> -Lauge Benjaminsen
>
> Mabye someone knows ( the Record Database hasn´t these data ).
>
> Thanks.

Why do you care? Are you trying to beat their records?

Mats1

Feb 15, 2012, 7:44:13 PM2/15/12
Vasili wrote:
> As for Vova he never tried to set the records in 7 and 9 balls, but I
> personally saw him doing more than 100 catches of 9 balls and for 7 balls
> it's just a matter of stamina, not skills.

A cleaner pattern leads to less fatigue. 7 ball endurance isn't all about
stamina. Are you sure Vova did over 100 catches of 9? I'm sure the highest
on video run is about 20 catches.

Vasili

Feb 16, 2012, 5:45:39 AM2/16/12
Mats1 wrote:

> A cleaner pattern leads to less fatigue. 7 ball endurance isn't all about
> stamina.
I mean for Vova it's mostly the matter of stamina.

> Are you sure Vova did over 100 catches of 9?
Yes, I saw it with my own eyes.

> I'm sure the highest on video run is about 20 catches.
Well, I am sure on video you can find 60+ catches runs.

Peter Bone

Feb 16, 2012, 7:29:11 AM2/16/12
Vasili wrote:
> > I'm sure the highest on video run is about 20 catches.
> Well, I am sure on video you can find 60+ catches runs.

If that's on video I'd really like to see it. Can you provide a link?
There's a lot of video to go through. The most I found so far is 30
catches.
Pete

Vasili

Feb 16, 2012, 11:09:38 AM2/16/12
Peter Bone wrote:

> Vasili wrote:
> > > I'm sure the highest on video run is about 20 catches.
> > Well, I am sure on video you can find 60+ catches runs.
>
> If that's on video I'd really like to see it. Can you provide a link?
> There's a lot of video to go through. The most I found so far is 30
> catches.

Unfortunately I don't remember which video has the over 60 catches run and
yes, a lot of videos to go through. I'll try to find it when I have time.

Vasili

Feb 17, 2012, 1:15:57 AM2/17/12
Vasili wrote:
> I'll try to find it when I have time.

Unortunately I couldn't find that video, but I am still sure that Vova's
best in 9 balls is over 100 catches. Probably I should talk to him about
that. I'll do that when I have a chance.

Emman

Feb 17, 2012, 3:42:50 AM2/17/12
C*C*K wrote:

> It would be nice to know the 7 and 9 Ball Cascade Records of :
>
> -Vova Galchenko
> -Doug Sayers
> -Toby Walker
> -Sergjey Ignatov (Senior)
> -Lauge Benjaminsen
>
> Mabye someone knows ( the Record Database hasn´t these data ).
>
> Thanks.

Sergei never did 9 balls.

Peter Bone

Feb 17, 2012, 4:15:37 AM2/17/12
Vasili wrote:

> Vasili wrote:
> > I'll try to find it when I have time.
>
> Unortunately I couldn't find that video, but I am still sure that Vova's
> best in 9 balls is over 100 catches. Probably I should talk to him about
> that. I'll do that when I have a chance.

Yeah, I was thinking that if there was a video of him doing 60+ catches
then I would know about it. The only videos I know about with 60+ catches
are by Bruce Sarafian and Anthony Gatto.
I'm sure Vova's capable of doing 100 catches with 9. When you saw him do
it, how did you know how many catches he'd done? Were you counting?

Peter Bone

Feb 17, 2012, 4:19:35 AM2/17/12
Emman wrote:

> C*C*K wrote:
> >
> > It would be nice to know the 7 and 9 Ball Cascade Records of :
> >
> > -Vova Galchenko
> > -Doug Sayers
> > -Toby Walker
> > -Sergjey Ignatov (Senior)
> > -Lauge Benjaminsen
> >
> > Mabye someone knows ( the Record Database hasn´t these data ).
> >
> > Thanks.
> >

> Sergei never did 9 balls.

I thought he did 9 in practice. 4000 years of juggling says he did 9 the
size of croquet balls.

Thanar

Feb 17, 2012, 9:38:38 AM2/17/12
Peter Bone wrote:
> I thought he did 9 in practice. 4000 years of juggling says he did 9 the
> size of croquet balls.

I tracked down a mention of this online:

Sergei Ignatov has juggled 9 "the size of croquet balls" in practice
("4000 Years of Juggling", Vol.II, p.100, and _IJA Newsletter_ 2/80).

http://www.juggling.org/help/numbers/records/balls-09.html

Which led to the following IJA Newsletter excerpt from a description of
Ignatov's practice sessions:

Balls
Ignatov used non-inflatable, very pliable, hollow rubber balls measuring 5
1/2 inches in diameter. In his act, he juggled 7 of those while running
around the ring, then threw 2 in mid­juggle to an assistant to continue
with a 5 ball routine. He can also juggle 9 of these by starting with 7
and grabbing 2 from his assistant. Although he did not regularly practice
5 in one hand, he was able to easily flash 5 in one hand during a standard
5 ball, 2 hand juggle. Incidentally, Ignatov bought these light red rubber
balls in Japan and decorated them himself with decals of cherubs."

http://www.juggle.org/history/archives/jugmags/32-2/32-2,p2.htm

Thanar

Feb 17, 2012, 10:01:42 AM2/17/12
C*C*K wrote:

> It would be nice to know the 7 and 9 Ball Cascade Records of :
>
> -Vova Galchenko
> -Doug Sayers
> -Toby Walker
> -Sergjey Ignatov (Senior)
> -Lauge Benjaminsen
>
> Mabye someone knows ( the Record Database hasn´t these data ).
>
> Thanks.

Here's one direct answer for you from rec.juggling post in 1993 (which is
not very clearly referenced):

NINE BALLS
Current bests:
..
Sergei Ignatov 135 catches in practice (as read by Jack Boyce in a book at
'91 IJA fest). Also 9 large balls (_IJA Newsletter_ 2/80).

http://www.jugglingdb.com/news/thread.php?lang=en&group=1&offset=45080&thread=6242&id=9873

Vasili

Feb 17, 2012, 10:56:39 PM2/17/12
Peter Bone wrote:
> When you saw him do it...
When he was in Penza on one of his visits. Most likely that was in summer
2007.

>... how did you know how many catches he'd done? Were you counting?
Yes, I was counting.

Emman

Feb 18, 2012, 7:14:31 AM2/18/12
http://www.bogleg.com/records/9balls.html

1. Sergei Ignatov is described in 4000 Years of Juggling Vol.II, p.100 as
doing a flash of 9 balls caught in nets. However, I asked Sergei and Karl
Heinz Ziethen about it and they both said it was a mistake, that Sergei
has never worked on nine. I personally believe that, given some beanbags
instead of those huge stage balls, he could flash nine with little effort.

Mats1

Feb 18, 2012, 7:41:45 AM2/18/12
C*C*K wrote:

> It would be nice to know the 7 and 9 Ball Cascade Records of :
>
> -Vova Galchenko
> -Doug Sayers
> -Toby Walker
> -Sergjey Ignatov (Senior)
> -Lauge Benjaminsen
>
> Mabye someone knows ( the Record Database hasn´t these data ).
>
> Thanks.

For Doug and Lauge, I would suggest dropping them a Youtube comment.

VincentCarter

Feb 18, 2012, 10:00:59 AM2/18/12
C*C*K wrote:

> It would be nice to know the 7 and 9 Ball Cascade Records of :
>
> -Vova Galchenko
> -Doug Sayers
> -Toby Walker
> -Sergjey Ignatov (Senior)
> -Lauge Benjaminsen
>
> Mabye someone knows ( the Record Database hasn´t these data ).
>
> Thanks.

I've heard rumors of Doug doing a pretty long run with 9, but I dont know
any specific numbers. From what I know of, he doesn't go for runs of 9
anymore, just qualifies it sometimes.

All I've ever seen of Vova is that his father has pointed out Vova stopped
running the 9 balls past 50 catches. I haven't seen video of a 50 catch
run from him though. Here's a run of about 30 catches though:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8NtLTHDSS8&t=00h02m10s

Lauge, 35 catches. I do believe there is a video somewhere.

I'm pretty sure I have my facts right, but everytime I post here, it seems
to be wrong. Whatever. I tried. Hope this helps

David Ferman

Feb 18, 2012, 10:37:14 AM2/18/12
At WJF Doug told me he practiced 9 for a while sometime during the year
and got up to 80 catches.

Thanar

Feb 19, 2012, 10:51:43 PM2/19/12
Emman wrote:
> > > Sergei never did 9 balls.
> >

> http://www.bogleg.com/records/9balls.html
>
> 1. Sergei Ignatov is described in 4000 Years of Juggling Vol.II, p.100 as
> doing a flash of 9 balls caught in nets. However, I asked Sergei and Karl
> Heinz Ziethen about it and they both said it was a mistake, that Sergei
> has never worked on nine. I personally believe that, given some beanbags
> instead of those huge stage balls, he could flash nine with little effort.

I can accept that there was an error in the specific statement in 4000
Years of Juggling. I've seen video of Sergei juggling 7 balls and them
being caught in nets at the end, perhaps that got confused with 9.

But I find it hard to believe that Sergei never juggled 9 balls in his
entire life, even in practice. Especially given the detailed description
of his practice which mentions 9 balls that I quoted in my last post
above, found here:
http://www.juggle.org/history/archives/jugmags/32-2/32-2,p2.htm

Another example of conflicting claims regarding Sergei Ignatov's personal
bests is 11 rings for ?? catches. See my research on that here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Juggling_world_records#References_for_unverified_claims

Sometimes these claims are hard to pin down...