New Record - 13 Ring Flash

David Cain

Jul 19, 2002, 11:37:01 PM7/19/02
At the Reading IJA fest, Albert Lucas showed video of himself
completing a 13 ring flash. He didn't cascade them. He flashed 7 in
one hand and 6 in the other at the same time.

lukas

Jul 20, 2002, 9:26:23 AM7/20/02

What? So he is saving the video of himself flashing 14 rings until...
when? The time it actually exists? You know, if he asked nicely I'd make a
video of him so it at least _looks_ like he can do it :)

Old stuff:
http://www.angelfire.com/mb/lukeburrage/isjf.html

Lukas

---
luke burrage's thing on the net - some things about juggling
http://www.lukeburrage.co.uk

Luis

Jul 20, 2002, 11:46:36 AM7/20/02
(David Cain) wrote in message n ..

> At the Reading IJA fest, Albert Lucas showed video of himself
> completing a 13 ring flash. He didn't cascade them. He flashed 7 in
> one hand and 6 in the other at the same time.

7 in one hand? That means he's almost doing a flash with 14, right? :)
Anyone know if we can find this video on internet?

Luis

Andrew Conway

Jul 23, 2002, 9:39:53 PM7/23/02
In article <9c4071ce.02071...@posting.google.com>,
davidcai...@hotmail.com says...

> At the Reading IJA fest, Albert Lucas showed video of himself
> completing a 13 ring flash. He didn't cascade them. He flashed 7 in
> one hand and 6 in the other at the same time.

Albert has also kindly provided copies of the video to members of the JIS
Committee on Numbers Juggling, which has validated it as a new world
record. See
http://www.juggling.org/records/records.html

The rings were flashed in a synchronous fountain pattern, with one hand
making an extra throw and catch. In other words, this was a flash of
thirteen rings in a fourteen ring pattern. Four rings were launched from
each hand, and three on one side and two on the other from
holsters. Congratulations to Albert for setting a new standard for other
jugglers to aspire to.

--
Andrew

speaking for myself an not the JIS-CNJ

Jason Quinn

Jul 24, 2002, 10:54:05 PM7/24/02
con...@juggling.org (Andrew Conway) wrote in message

> The rings were flashed in a synchronous fountain pattern, with one hand
> making an extra throw and catch. In other words, this was a flash of
> thirteen rings in a fourteen ring pattern. Four rings were launched from
> each hand, and three on one side and two on the other from
> holsters. Congratulations to Albert for setting a new standard for other
> jugglers to aspire to.

Tell us more!
How old did the video appear? Was there a date stamp?
Did he make it look "easy"?
Was everything caught cleanly or were there some "barely caught"
rings?
What was his reaction afterward?

I suppose this proves even for doubters that 14 rings is possible
because of the pattern that he used. I remember some physicists (MIT?)
saying that it wasn't. I personally, believe strongly that 14 is the
actual limit and 15 or more will never be done by anybody -- alive
*or* dead.

Chuckle,
Jason Quinn

Jason Kollum

Jul 25, 2002, 9:28:54 AM7/25/02
jason...@yahoo.com (Jason Quinn) wrote in message news:<bd4b8054.02072...@posting.google.com>...

> Tell us more!
> How old did the video appear? Was there a date stamp?
> Did he make it look "easy"?
> Was everything caught cleanly or were there some "barely caught"
> rings?
> What was his reaction afterward?
>
> I suppose this proves even for doubters that 14 rings is possible
> because of the pattern that he used. I remember some physicists (MIT?)
> saying that it wasn't. I personally, believe strongly that 14 is the
> actual limit and 15 or more will never be done by anybody -- alive
> *or* dead.
>
> Chuckle,
> Jason Quinn

I believe the footage began at 9:37 am on June 28th. The video began
with a picture of the facility in which he achieved the record, with
an overlay of the time/date the record was set. If I'm off as far as
the time or especially the date goes, please correct me.

So it was a very recent video. Nothing about it looked easy. He
discussed his record with everybody in the workshop room afterwards
and indicated how important he believed it was to make a clean finish
afterwards, rather than toss the rings up, try to make as many catches
as possible, and then drop them all. He made a very clean finish.

All the rings were caught in his hands for the clean finish, as
opposed to catching them in his hands and then dropping them down his
arms. He mentioned he had learned to catch rings in his hands rather
than around his arms and had always continued to do this.

He said he was able to achieve the perfect lighting conditions for
this record. There was an all black ceiling in the facility and the
lighting came from the sides, as opposed to directly overhead. I
*think* he mentioned the pattern took about 40-42 feet. I'm not
positive.

It was very nice of him to show us his record-breaking footage and to
discuss it afterwards. He also completed in numbers with 8 and 10
rings later that week, which was a treat to watch as well.

~Jason

Dave Barnes

Jul 25, 2002, 9:44:34 AM7/25/02
Jason Kollum wrote:

> [some stuff I've snipped, mainly about 13 rings]

So did Lucas say anything about this 14 ring video we hear so much about,
and when he is intending to show that?

I must admit I'm now far more interested in the debate over whether that
video exists than I am in interested in the 14 ring flash itself! He's
certainly proven that a 14 ring flash is possible, and I believe that he
is the person who will do it, but I still have strong doubts over the
existence of the video.

Thanks,
Dave

Chris Sutton

Jul 25, 2002, 1:35:56 PM7/25/02
I know Albert has had Witnesses to his 14 ring flashes occasionally but I
don't think he has a video of it for a few reasons. First, he did 13
rings on June 28, less than a month ago. If he wanted to make a video
just so that he could break the world record, why not just use the 14 ring
video? Also, I taked to his girlfriend Janis, and she said he doesnt have
a video of it. I would say thats enough proof.

I do however definitely think he can do it, I am just anxiously waiting
to see it, although I admit it wouldnt look much different than the 13
ring video, since that was in a 14 ring pattern.

-Chris Sutton

Scott Kurland

Jul 25, 2002, 6:06:06 PM7/25/02
> I know Albert has had Witnesses to his 14 ring flashes occasionally but I
> don't think he has a video of it for a few reasons. First, he did 13
> rings on June 28, less than a month ago. If he wanted to make a video
> just so that he could break the world record, why not just use the 14 ring
> video? Also, I talked to his girlfriend Janis, and she said he doesn't
have
> a video of it. I would say that's enough proof.

Agreed. I wonder why he lied?

Chris Sutton

Jul 26, 2002, 5:08:50 PM7/26/02
Sorry folks,
I posted some mis-information, and I would just like to clear it up
for all of you.

Albert Lucas has done 14 rings, and he does have it on video. However,
the video that was shot was with one camera, no wide angle lense, and
only one witness being his girlfriend, Janis. We all know that Albert
Lucas is subjected to a lot of critism for the smallest of things. I know
that with just one camera shot that did not even show the entire
pattern, there would be many people who would not accept it as the record.
With that said, if I were him, I wouldnt submit the video in either.

As some of us know, Albert wants to publicly set the record, with lots of
witnesses and cameras, so even the most cynical people will not be able to
deny the fact that he can indeed flash 14 rings, and has proof of it.
He tried to do it publicly on BBC record breakers a while ago but caught
13 and missed the last. He will submit a tape in when he sets the record
publicly, and I can understand why one little low-quality video of half of
his pattern juist simply wont do. I think Albert will be planning to
formally attempt 14 rings again sometime soon, so I'm sure the record will
be officially set soon.

-Chris Sutton

> > I know Albert has had Witnesses to his 14 ring flashes occasionally but I
> > don't think he has a video of it for a few reasons. First, he did 13
> > rings on June 28, less than a month ago. If he wanted to make a video
> > just so that he could break the world record, why not just use the 14 ring
> > video? Also, I talked to his girlfriend Janis, and she said he doesn't
> have
> > a video of it.

juggler

Jul 26, 2002, 6:26:31 PM7/26/02

Very few of the "personal videos" with world records are on the internet
:-(
...and this 14 ring flash was discussed for a long time like Sergej
Ignatovs 11 ring qualification. No video, no reason to believe?

I am shure that 13 are not the last word, because a few juggler flashed 6
balls in one hand today. I think that one or two more are the last word
for the next years...

I wonder how many hours he tried to flash 11 and 12 before...

The greatest thing: he is over 40 years old now and he still juggle
numbers**

Any other juggler over 40 who still throw 8 and more?

With great respect to Albert

Juggler Reto

Scott Kurland

Jul 26, 2002, 7:33:38 PM7/26/02
> Albert Lucas has done 14 rings, and he does have it on video. However,
> the video that was shot was with one camera, no wide angle lens, and

> only one witness being his girlfriend, Janis. We all know that Albert
> Lucas is subjected to a lot of criticism for the smallest of things. I

know
> that with just one camera shot that did not even show the entire
> pattern, there would be many people who would not accept it as the record.
> With that said, if I were him, I wouldn't submit the video in either.

My guess would be more people would accept it than do so now. Further, at
this point even people who believe he's done the 14-ring flash are starting
to wonder if he's lying about having video of it, just because of the
bizarre coy secrecy riff.

> As some of us know, Albert wants to publicly set the record, with lots of
> witnesses and cameras, so even the most cynical people will not be able to
> deny the fact that he can indeed flash 14 rings, and has proof of it.
> He tried to do it publicly on BBC record breakers a while ago but caught
> 13 and missed the last. He will submit a tape in when he sets the record
> publicly, and I can understand why one little low-quality video of half of

> his pattern just simply wont do. I think Albert will be planning to

> formally attempt 14 rings again sometime soon, so I'm sure the record will
> be officially set soon.

Cool, though I'll note that it's a false dilemma: he can put his low-quality
video on the internet AND keeping trying in public.

> > > I know Albert has had Witnesses to his 14 ring flashes occasionally
but I
> > > don't think he has a video of it for a few reasons. First, he did 13
> > > rings on June 28, less than a month ago. If he wanted to make a video
> > > just so that he could break the world record, why not just use the 14
ring
> > > video? Also, I talked to his girlfriend Janis, and she said he
doesn't
> > have a video of it.

Did you misunderstand Janis, or was she ignorant of the video's existence,
or...?

Scott Seltzer

Jul 28, 2002, 1:04:48 AM7/28/02
juggler wrote about Albert Lucas:

> The greatest thing: he is over 40 years old now and he still juggle
> numbers**
>
> Any other juggler over 40 who still throw 8 and more?

Mikhail Staroseletsky, our local juggling hero is in his late 40s
(possibly even 50 by now) and he's always improving. He had been juggling
6 clubs solidly for many years and didn't think 7 was possible until I
showed him an Anthony Gatto video a few years ago. I'm not sure what his
best is, but I think he has qualified 7 clubs (definitely more than a
flash). I've seen him do a bit more than a flash with 9 balls (not
beanbags!). For the past couple years he's been learning juggling with a
ball bouncing on his head and does it pretty well with 4 clubs (also
inspired by Gatto).

-Scott