8 Club Flash at Groundhog Day

7jug...@my-deja.com

Feb 4, 2001, 3:17:48 AM2/4/01
This afternoon in the gym, I saw Darin Marriot catch the first 8 out of
14 throws with 8 clubs. They were Renegade Numbers clubs juggled in a
synch fountain. The pattern was like that of a pretty good 6 club
fountain, and Darrin made no effort to keep going after catching 8,
although the remaining 6 throws were easily catchable, and in fact
about as good as the rest had been.

Darin said that this was his first ever flash ever with 8. If he wants
to, I think he'll qualify it very soon. In fact, I think I'll try to
instigate an attempt at that tomorrow.

Chris Julian
7jugglernotqui...@fcmail.com

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Andrew Conway

Feb 5, 2001, 4:20:49 PM2/5/01
In article <95j37b$ga8$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, 7jug...@my-deja.com says...
> [...] If he wants

> to, I think he'll qualify it very soon. In fact, I think I'll try to
> instigate an attempt at that tomorrow.

Be sure to get it on video!

--
Andrew

7jug...@my-deja.com

Feb 5, 2001, 6:48:29 PM2/5/01
In article <MPG.14e8b2215...@supernews.sirius.com>,
con...@juggling.org (Andrew Conway) wrote:

> Be sure to get it on video! <

I was going to see who had a camera before talking to Darin, but I
didn't see him in the gym(at least by the time I got there),

Chris Julian
wisheshecould...@fcmail.com

Alan Morgan

Feb 5, 2001, 7:57:22 PM2/5/01
In article <95j37b$ga8$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, <7jug...@my-deja.com> wrote:
>This afternoon in the gym, I saw Darin Marriot catch the first 8 out of
>14 throws with 8 clubs. They were Renegade Numbers clubs juggled in a
>synch fountain. The pattern was like that of a pretty good 6 club
>fountain, and Darrin made no effort to keep going after catching 8,
>although the remaining 6 throws were easily catchable, and in fact
>about as good as the rest had been.

Did he use quads or trips? I tried 8 clubs once, just for the hell of
it, and found quads to be distinctly easier (although both Jason and
Anthony use trips, which is a pretty serious endorsement).

>Darin said that this was his first ever flash ever with 8. If he wants
>to, I think he'll qualify it very soon.

The current official record is 12 catches. I'd settle for an improvement
on that.

Persumably, if that was his first flash of 8, he finds the finish a little
difficult. That means that he's going to have to make more than 16 throws
to get a legal run.

>In fact, I think I'll try to instigate an attempt at that tomorrow.

Go for it.

Alan

Jack & Kathy Kalvan

Feb 6, 2001, 2:32:03 AM2/6/01

> <7jug...@my-deja.com> wrote:
> >This afternoon in the gym, I saw Darin Marriot catch the first 8 out of
> >14 throws with 8 clubs. They were Renegade Numbers clubs juggled in a
> >synch fountain.

> >Darin said that this was his first ever flash ever with 8. If he wants
> >to, I think he'll qualify it very soon.

I don't think the qualifying will be that easy.
Especially with a fountain.

I predict that the first person to do 8 clubs well will use a crossing
pattern with one hand throwing quads and the other throwing triples.

It won't be me.

Jack.

luke burrage

Feb 7, 2001, 12:59:00 PM2/7/01

> > and what about that qian brother? he flashes 8 badminton raquets in
> > performance - perhaps with clubs (a better prop) and say, several
dozens
> > of hours of attempts, he could qualify at least once. (?)

I would say that rackets are the better prop for numbers as they are
thin like rings yet have handles like clubs.

> I've only ever heard of him flashing 7 racquets in performance. And
it's
> not clear that if all you ever work on is racquets, that you will
find
> clubs easier.

There's a video of Jian Wan Qian flashing 8 on my website. It is
footage of a practice and he didn't manage it every time so I'd doubt
he does it in performance. Maybe he does by now, I'm not sure how old
the video is...

Luke

plus other new videos
--
email - lu...@juggler.net
luke burrage's thing on the net - http://www.lukeburrage.co.uk

Alan Morgan

Feb 7, 2001, 3:16:39 PM2/7/01
In article <95s2ct$plv$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

luke burrage <lu...@juggler.net> wrote:

>> > and what about that qian brother? he flashes 8 badminton raquets in
>> > performance - perhaps with clubs (a better prop) and say, several
>dozens
>> > of hours of attempts, he could qualify at least once. (?)
>
>I would say that rackets are the better prop for numbers as they are
>thin like rings yet have handles like clubs.

Interesting thought, although numbers clubs are pretty skinny too.
Rackets also require that you control the spin around the long axis,
which clubs do not (although learning rackets for the purpose of
learning to control that is probably not a bad idea).

>> I've only ever heard of him flashing 7 racquets in performance. And
>it's
>> not clear that if all you ever work on is racquets, that you will
>find
>> clubs easier.
>
>There's a video of Jian Wan Qian flashing 8 on my website. It is
>footage of a practice and he didn't manage it every time so I'd doubt
>he does it in performance. Maybe he does by now, I'm not sure how old
>the video is...

It's way cool, whatever it is. He seems to prefer quads too.

Alan

Santos Tseng

Feb 7, 2001, 4:17:59 PM2/7/01

> > and what about that qian brother? he flashes 8 badminton raquets in
> I've only ever heard of him flashing 7 racquets in performance. And it's

i spoke with david cain in montreal and IIRC, he said the qian brother
had 7 badminton raquets "juggled" as part of the everyday routine and
that on days he felt like attempting it, he would sometimes attempt an 8
raquet flash (presumably that which is found on that video clip).

santos.

Alan Morgan

Feb 7, 2001, 6:04:52 PM2/7/01
In article <3A81BB86...@hotmail.com>,

Santos Tseng <santos...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> > and what about that qian brother? he flashes 8 badminton raquets in
>> I've only ever heard of him flashing 7 racquets in performance. And it's
>
>i spoke with david cain in montreal and IIRC, he said the qian brother
>had 7 badminton raquets "juggled" as part of the everyday routine and

Arrgh. I *hate* it when people put "juggled" in quotes.

I've seen the Qian brothers a couple of times (gnarly juggling, BTW) and
he does a flash or flash+1 of 7 rackets. He might do more than that now,
but when I saw him a few years ago in Vegas in the gym he couldn't get
more than about a dozen catches reliably (he also tried 8, but was foiled
by the low ceiling).

>that on days he felt like attempting it, he would sometimes attempt an 8
>raquet flash (presumably that which is found on that video clip).

The video clip is almost certainly a practice session.

Hey, all this talk has got me interested in trying it. Has anyone ever tried
rackets and, if so, is there any particular kind I should use? I'm tempted to
run down to the local Big 5 and pick some up just to see what they are like.

Alan

Jake Cooper

Feb 7, 2001, 6:28:16 PM2/7/01
> >i spoke with david cain in montreal and IIRC, he said the qian brother
> >had 7 badminton raquets "juggled" as part of the everyday routine and
>
> Arrgh. I *hate* it when people put "juggled" in quotes.

Alan, I think the word "juggled" should often be in quotes (in cases besides
this sentence...). I am often told by my friends that "[name] was on TV
juggling 4 balls while riding a unicycle." If I watched the program, I
would only say the person juggled 4 balls if it were a solid pattern.
Otherwise I'd say "barely qualified," or "flashed," or something of the
sort. So, if I were relating a story that a friend told me, I might put
the word "juggled" in quotes to signify that it may or may not have been a
solid pattern, I don't know. I differentiate between "juggling" 5 balls and
juggling balls.

Jake Cooper

chris_...@my-deja.com

Feb 7, 2001, 7:26:00 PM2/7/01

I partly agree with you, but I think that in this case, "juggled" is
in quotes because the guy might not have made a legal run. If he
didn't it isnt really juggling. Then again, if someone flashes 12
balls, are they a 12 ball juggler? Not really, but that is what some
people can tend to call them.

-Chris Sutton

luke burrage

Feb 7, 2001, 10:24:03 PM2/7/01
I'm not sure what the big deal is with all the different names that
you're wanting to call juggling. As I was saying on another thread,
juggling is where you throw stuff in the air. I don't really think it
matters at all how many catches you make with how ever many balls, it
is still juggling, done with juggling balls/clubs/rings by a juggler.

I know that in a few cases you might want to specify how many catches
someone makes but I think not calling it juggling is a tiny bity
stupid. Anyone else who isn't anal about flashing and qualifying, which
is the whole world really, still calls 14 catches with 9 balls
juggling. So do I. It might not qualify as a "juggle" in the IJA
numbers competition rulebook, but unless you're entering the
competition, why should you care?

If someone asks me "how many balls can you do?" they're not asking me
if I can qualify, flash or anything else apart from "how many balls can
you juggle?" and when I ask how many they can juggle and they
answer "two" I don't tell them they aren't actually, technically
juggling, I just say "well done."

So, join with me, call juggling juggling!

Lukas (has flashed 10, can get more than a flash with 9, has qualified
8, can run 7 but still doesn't call himself a juggler)

--
email - lu...@juggler.net
luke burrage's thing on the net - http://www.lukeburrage.co.uk

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Dave Barnes

Feb 8, 2001, 4:44:16 AM2/8/01
In article <95t3gd$omj$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
luke burrage <lu...@juggler.net> wrote:

> So, join with me, call juggling juggling!
>
> Lukas (has flashed 10, can get more than a flash with 9, has qualified
> 8, can run 7 but still doesn't call himself a juggler)

That last bit kind of negates your arguement, Luke. If you can classify
yourself on your ability at 7, 8, 9 and 10 so simply, then you are
making a distinction based on the same sort of set of rules as numbers
competitions, and you're showing the usefulness of doing so.

But it's not like I'm fussed about that - I think the JISCONJ style
definition of 'flash' and 'juggle' is very useful, particularly for
measuring your own progress, and for comparing yourself with others if
you're interested in doing that.

I'm sure there are other examples where a word means more to someone
involved in the activity than it does to a layman. But I can't seem to
think of any right now!

Dave

.sig thinks that one of these days, Luke may have to start thinking of
himself as a juggler, not as someone who happens to juggle.

Alan Morgan

Feb 8, 2001, 1:05:13 PM2/8/01
In article <95t3gd$omj$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
luke burrage <lu...@juggler.net> wrote:
>I'm not sure what the big deal is with all the different names that
>you're wanting to call juggling. As I was saying on another thread,
>juggling is where you throw stuff in the air. I don't really think it
>matters at all how many catches you make with how ever many balls, it
>is still juggling, done with juggling balls/clubs/rings by a juggler.
>
>I know that in a few cases you might want to specify how many catches
>someone makes but I think not calling it juggling is a tiny bity
>stupid. Anyone else who isn't anal about flashing and qualifying, which
>is the whole world really, still calls 14 catches with 9 balls
>juggling. So do I. It might not qualify as a "juggle" in the IJA
>numbers competition rulebook, but unless you're entering the
>competition, why should you care?

Precision in language is just generally important?

For people (like me) who are interested in tracking numbers records
it does matter because that's how rumors get started. As long as
the word "juggle" means different things to different people it is
important to explain what you mean when you use the term. It also
provides more information. If I say that I can juggle 7 well, juggle
8 badly, can usually flash and have juggled 9, have flashed 10, and
work on 11 whenever someone cute is watching then I have provided
more information (and given an interesting insight into my personality)
than if I used "juggled" for all of these.

>If someone asks me "how many balls can you do?" they're not asking me
>if I can qualify, flash or anything else apart from "how many balls can
>you juggle?" and when I ask how many they can juggle and they
>answer "two" I don't tell them they aren't actually, technically
>juggling, I just say "well done."

I tell them that they aren't really juggling. Then again, I'm a mean
bastard.

>So, join with me, call juggling juggling!

Alan

7jug...@my-deja.com

Feb 8, 2001, 6:32:18 PM2/8/01
In article <95skak$ptd$1...@nntp.Stanford.EDU>,
amo...@Xenon.Stanford.EDU (Alan Morgan) wrote:

> Hey, all this talk has got me interested in trying it. Has anyone
ever tried rackets and, if so, is there any particular kind I should
use?

I've tried it and may do so again. I suggest taping the handles as the
small handle hurts like a fuck when you catch one squarely on your
finger. I've found that the Chinese method of throwing them (holding the
upper body firmly, even rigidly in place while moving only the forearms)
is in fact very helpful and even required to "juggle"* them well. A
certain amount of, well stiffness in your throw helps, too--you may have
to try it to see what I mean.

Chris Julian
7jugglernonotwithraquets(yet)@fcmail.com

*Quotes used to playfully irk Alan Morgan.

Gillmer J. Derge

Feb 8, 2001, 6:48:52 PM2/8/01
<7jug...@my-deja.com> wrote in message news:95vaa2$l3t$1...@nnrp1.deja.com...
> ... hurts like a f*ck

I don't think you're doing it right. It's not supposed to hurt. :-)

-----
Gillmer J. Derge