Juggling Blogs

hermannism

Jul 9, 2012, 12:50:48 PM7/9/12
Can anyone recommend any good juggling blogs? Side note: would that be a jlog? I hope not.

Little Paul

Jul 10, 2012, 11:39:36 AM7/10/12
On 2012-07-09, hermannism <herma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can anyone recommend any good juggling blogs?

The ones I've got in my work rss reader are:

http://ezine.juggle.org
http://www.ministryofmanipulation.com
http://circusgeeks.co.uk
http://www.gandinijuggling.com/blog/blog
http://www.jugglingsubculture.com

And

http://iheartcs.blogspot.com (not strictly speaking juggling, but it's Olga
Galchenko and she often has some very tasty looking recipies)

I've got others in my home rss reader, but I can't remember what they are
off the top of my head.

-Paul
--
http://paulseward.com

JJ Conductor

Jul 10, 2012, 12:33:03 PM7/10/12
hermannism wrote:

> Can anyone recommend any good juggling blogs? Side note: would that be a
jlog? I hope not.

Depending on what you mean by "blog", I'd say "rec.juggling". To me it is
a combined blog of many jugglers thoughts and comments about them.

But obviously you already know about rec.juggling. What are you looking
for from a juggling blog? (and is that something we should post more
about on r.j?)

Little Paul

Jul 11, 2012, 5:57:39 AM7/11/12
On 2012-07-10, JJ Conductor <JJCondu...@JuggleJunction.org.nonSpammersRemoveThis.com.nospam.com> wrote:

> Depending on what you mean by "blog", I'd say "rec.juggling". To me it is
> a combined blog of many jugglers thoughts and comments about them.

To me, a blog is a very different thing to rec.juggling

Blogs are more a curated collection of interesting items, presented in a
way that allows you to comment or feed back about the items. They're a
bit like a museum or art gallery with a discussion area around each
exhibit.

rec.juggling is a gloriously open mishmash of anything and everything.
There are interesting items in there, but there are also old tin cans and
pieces of chewing gum - and there isn't as much of a focused discussion
area, more of a room full of drunken idiots shouting at eachother.[1]

> But obviously you already know about rec.juggling. What are you looking
> for from a juggling blog? (and is that something we should post more
> about on r.j?)

What I want from a juggling blog is a person (or team of people) writing
thoughful pieces about juggling, or posting interesting videos that they've
found which they think I should watch (along with a description of the
video and why it's relevant - which so rarely happens on here but happens
a lot on blogs)

circusgeeks, ministryofmanipulation and the ija e-zine hit that square on
for me, they each have a slightly different focus, but all have exposed
bits of the juggling world to me that I didn't know existed, or have
presented ideas I'd never thought of.

-Paul

[1] Probably a better analogy is that following a blog is a bit like watching
the highlights of a football game on TV. rec.juggling is more like playing
football with your mates.

But that analogy doesn't involve tin cans and chewing gum so I don't like
it as much ;)

--
http://paulseward.com

AverageJoggler

Jul 11, 2012, 7:46:00 AM7/11/12
On Monday, July 9, 2012 11:50:48 AM UTC-5, hermannism wrote:
> Can anyone recommend any good juggling blogs? Side note: would that be a jlog? I hope not.

It's more running than juggling but I've been doing a Joggling Blog since 2007.

http://justyouraveragejoggler.com

hermannism

Jul 11, 2012, 10:39:53 AM7/11/12
On Monday, July 9, 2012 12:50:48 PM UTC-4, hermannism wrote:
> Can anyone recommend any good juggling blogs? Side note: would that be a jlog? I hope not.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'm definitely looking for what Little Paul's describing: something beyond a simple link to a stand-out routine. I'm considering starting my own, which would be more wordy with a juggling backbone, in preparation of a fiction book I'm also considering (maybe I should stop considering so much and start doing). Once I get my angle down and a few posts under my belt, I'll come back and share.

Jonathan

Little Paul

Jul 11, 2012, 11:04:42 AM7/11/12
On 2012-07-11, hermannism <herma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm considering starting my own, which would be more wordy with a juggling
> backbone, in preparation of a fiction book I'm also considering (maybe I should
> stop considering so much and start doing).

My friends who are writers always say that once you've got the itch, and have the
vague shape of the story - it won't get written unless you start writing.

> Once I get my angle down and a few posts under my belt, I'll come back and share.

If you want to dip a toe in, write a couple of articles but without the hastle
and commitment required to build a readership for your own blog, drop the IJA
ezine or CircusGeeks an email.

Their both team-effort blogs which take contributions from anyone interested
enough to write something like you're describing. It would give them some content
(and blogs are all about content) it would give you a way to work out where
you're going and an instant readership.

And I wouldn't have to add anything new to my rss reader ;-)

-Paul
--
http://paulseward.com

hermannism

Jul 11, 2012, 11:46:24 AM7/11/12
On Wednesday, July 11, 2012 11:04:42 AM UTC-4, Little Paul wrote:
> On 2012-07-11, hermannism &lt;herma...@gmail.com&gt; wrote:
> &gt;
> &gt; I&#39;m considering starting my own, which would be more wordy with a juggling
> &gt; backbone, in preparation of a fiction book I&#39;m also considering (maybe I should
> &gt; stop considering so much and start doing).
>
> My friends who are writers always say that once you&#39;ve got the itch, and have the
> vague shape of the story - it won&#39;t get written unless you start writing.
>
> &gt; Once I get my angle down and a few posts under my belt, I&#39;ll come back and share.
>
> If you want to dip a toe in, write a couple of articles but without the hastle
> and commitment required to build a readership for your own blog, drop the IJA
> ezine or CircusGeeks an email.
>
> Their both team-effort blogs which take contributions from anyone interested
> enough to write something like you&#39;re describing. It would give them some content
> (and blogs are all about content) it would give you a way to work out where
> you&#39;re going and an instant readership.
>
> And I wouldn&#39;t have to add anything new to my rss reader ;-)
>
> -Paul
> --
> http://paulseward.com

Always thinking about yourself, aren't you Paul :)
Good ideas all around. Thanks.

Chase Henson

Jul 14, 2012, 8:05:01 PM7/14/12
hermannism wrote:
> Can anyone recommend any good juggling blogs? Side note: would that be a jlog? I hope not.

My blog is highly influenced by juggling, although I don't know if it's what
you're looking for; I'd love for other jugglers to look at my writing
though...

entropicgestures.tumblr.com

These are some of the event scores that serve as sketches for my performance
work.

Chase