REQUEST FOR A LITTLE INPUT AND ADVICE...

mele...@amherst.bitnet

Mar 8, 1991, 6:33:20 PM3/8/91
A friend and I are planning a trip across country, from Massachusetts to
California, at the end of May/beginning of June. We're looking for
suggestions for places not to miss, the tackier the better. We want things
that you recommend, that we just won't find in any run-of-the-mill guidebook.
(i.e. Largest ball of twine, Dollywood, that sort of thing).

So if you have any suggestions, please mail them to me (melepper@amherst),
and I give you my, and my friend's, sincerest thanks in advance.

Meghan

Tony Wallis

Mar 10, 1991, 10:27:46 AM3/10/91
> A friend and I are planning a trip across country, from Massachusetts to
> California, at the end of May/beginning of June. We're looking for
> suggestions for places not to miss, the tackier the better. ...

Interstate 90 to Buffalo, detour north of the Great Lakes through
Canada. An ENTIRE (as of March, 1991) COUNTRY devoted to tackiness.
Tourism is a major industry. Lots and lots of supertacky souvenir(*)
tourist traps. Little dolls of Mounties in full dress uniform, etc.
Hordes of Americans spending real money and commenting on the funny
monopoly stuff they get in exchange.
You'll love it. Makes us puke.
(*) Oh, yeah, we all speak French, too.

Jack Berkery

Mar 11, 1991, 2:22:11 PM3/11/91
And if you are travelling I-90, you'll probably want to stop off in Albany NY,
the only major state cap. with absolutely no points of interest. Honestly,
talk about tacky. This whole city's it.

Jim Brooking

Mar 11, 1991, 7:56:33 PM3/11/91

AND, if one wishes to see real amusement, be enthralled with amazing
sights, sample fine cuisines from around the world, would you suggest
they stop by downtown Schenectady? True, GE's masterfully executed
architecture, gracing the nether end of Erie Boulevard, is definitely
worth a detour. And don't miss exiting the city via Route 7 through
Rotterdam.

Give us a break, Jack.

--
>8-} >:-) %\( 8^) :+/ |'[ ;-) :-O B^\ :-)
Jim Brooking........North Carolina Supercomputing Center.......(919)248-1145

nexus.yor...@overmind.mind.org

Mar 10, 1991, 10:27:00 AM3/10/91

gecrdvm1.crd....@overmind.mind.org

Mar 11, 1991, 2:22:00 PM3/11/91

mcnc.org...@overmind.mind.org

Mar 11, 1991, 7:56:00 PM3/11/91
In article <91070.152...@GECRDVM1.BITNET>, BER...@gecrdvm1.crd.ge.com
(Jack Berkery) writes:

AND, if one wishes to see real amusement, be enthralled with amazing

BROADWELL GEORGE AARON

Mar 14, 1991, 5:17:27 PM3/14/91
In article <21...@yunexus.YorkU.CA> to...@nexus.yorku.ca (Tony Wallis) writes:
>> A friend and I are planning a trip across country, from Massachusetts to
>> California, at the end of May/beginning of June. We're looking for
>> suggestions for places not to miss, the tackier the better. ...

I suggest South of the Border, right off Interstate 95, near the NC/SC
border. If you want tackiness, you should definitely take the southern
route cross country.

Fred Ullom

Mar 15, 1991, 8:51:59 AM3/15/91
>In article <21...@yunexus.YorkU.CA> to...@nexus.yorku.ca (Tony Wallis) writes:
>>> A friend and I are planning a trip across country, from Massachusetts to
>>> California, at the end of May/beginning of June. We're looking for
>>> suggestions for places not to miss, the tackier the better. ...

And don't forget to stop here in Youngstown Ohio. Right off of I80.
The highlight of your trip will be to tour the large expanse of
open land by the riverfront where the steel mills used to be.
You can also drive past the unemployment line for the thrill of you life.
OR visit the Steel Museum! They have actual pictures of the steel mills!
Plan your trip wisely cause the museum is only open a few hours a week
(due to lack of funding).
taco...@ysub.ysu.edu (Fred S. Ullom)
Youngstown State University

Jerry Nelson

Mar 15, 1991, 6:52:05 PM3/15/91
While I agree that the South has some of the Great marvels of tackiness,
the Midwest is definitely some tough competition. How about Wall Drug
or Wisconsin Dells or that prairie dog ranch on I90? Hell, how about
Milwaukee?!?

Floyd Davidson

Mar 16, 1991, 9:23:46 AM3/16/91

Scratch the whole plan. If you haven't spent a weekend in the
Board o' Trade Saloon in Nome, Alaska, you ain't never seen tacky.

I mean **TACKY**.

Floyd
--
Floyd L. Davidson | fl...@ims.alaska.edu | Alascom, Inc. pays me
Salcha, AK 99714 | Univ. of Alaska | but not for opinions.

cs170...@vger.nsu.edu

Mar 17, 1991, 8:58:55 AM3/17/91
And I suggest you detour through southern Alabama (don't get in a hurry,
now) and find Ave Maria Grotto....a complete miniature reconstruction of
various religious icons, made from coral or painted cement or something.
While you're down that way, find Eufaula (a wide place on the road, right
next to Georgia) and visit the fish museum. Eufaula is the home of Mann's
jellyworms.....you don't wanna miss that!

Jean
Tennessee born, Alabama raised

Bryan Wolf

Mar 17, 1991, 3:48:43 AM3/17/91
In article <1991Mar14....@sarah.albany.edu> gb...@leah.albany.edu (BROADWELL GEORGE AARON) writes:
>In article <21...@yunexus.YorkU.CA> to...@nexus.yorku.ca (Tony Wallis) writes:
>>> A friend and I are planning a trip across country, from Massachusetts to
>>> California, at the end of May/beginning of June. We're looking for
>>> suggestions for places not to miss, the tackier the better. ...
>
>I suggest South of the Border, right off Interstate 95, near the NC/SC

I can vouch for southern Texas. You can photograph the signs and billboards
there:

"Carpeteria announces its biggest blowout sale ever!
Jesus loves you "

(Disclaimer: no offense to the multitudes of Baptists in the south, but
every advertiser there tries to gain popularity by putting the phrase
"Jesus loves you" at the bottom of their billboard, and I don't see
how the two relate)
--
br...@tahoe.unr.edu (Bryan Wolf) /\ " And now, a man with 9 legs "
Sadly, most computer users eventually become < > " 'e ran away! "

Jon Baumgardner

Mar 18, 1991, 3:07:52 PM3/18/91

You can travel across the mainland and look for mediocrity and ugliness if you
like, but I would rather look for beauty in Hawaii. The pessimists (almost
everyone on the mainland right now) are staying away from Hawaii right now.
That means that the hotels (at 45% occupancy) are really lowering their
prices. Local people are getting all kinds of special deals and the best
part is that there are fewer litter bugs and such around to spoil the sea and
land scapes. The fish are really coming back in Hanauma Bay, the water in
Waikiki is clean! The mountain trails are more private and the calling birds
are returning. All I heard last year was yelling kids! It is amazing how
fast the land is reclaiming and rebuilding. The surf isn't crouded with
boogey boards and the sky isn't filled with parasailers. Haleakala in the
morning has 20 people, not 300 and even the valcano on the big island isn't
swarming with people. Winter is coming to Australia now so the Aussies are
coming here but these people are so clean and there's no litter! You can
stay in the mainland if you want and look at garbage and graffiti. Aloha
and Mahalo for letting us enjoy our islands for a while.

Chris Best

Mar 18, 1991, 4:14:12 PM3/18/91
> True story: I have relatives that live in Philadelphia; my family went up to
> visit them a couple of years back. We took one day to
> visit Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell, etc. At the end of the day, while
> we were driving back, we detoured over to Camden, New Jersey, stopped in the
> first parking lot, got out of the car, and having set foot in New Jersey,
> promptly left.

--------

Did you wipe your feet afterwards? Or just toss the shoes...

Don Bolton

Mar 15, 1991, 7:01:06 PM3/15/91
In article <55...@sequent.UUCP> jer...@sequent.UUCP (Jerry Nelson) writes:

Whaa? did Stuckie's go out of business?

My father got sucked in on the "baby rattlers" :-)

Don "awful pecan rolls though" Bolton

Dan Corbett

Mar 18, 1991, 10:28:08 PM3/18/91

You have all missed the city which actually devotes city budget dollars to
becoming tacky: Dayton, Ohio. (slogan: It's Great In Dayton!)

They sent a committee around to the "big" cities (like Akron and Louisville)
to see what the big cities had that Dayton was missing. They decided that
what they lacked was a strip of cheap, nasty beer joints with garish signs.
(No, I'm not making this up.) They declared three blocks of Fifth Street
"The Neon District." Now all the businesses are _required_ to have big, garish
neon signs that light up the night, turn the sky orange and block out the
stars. The dicos, beer joints and other shady businesses are encouraged to
open up there. Now, Dayton can boast having all the facilities of a "big"
city: prostitution, alcoholism, muggings, etc.

I think I'll start printing bumper stickers that say:
"Dayton: I Spent a Week There, One Day"

(Oh, sorry, that's a different thread)

Jeff DePolo

Mar 18, 1991, 11:25:11 PM3/18/91
In article <1991Mar14....@sarah.albany.edu> gb...@leah.albany.edu (BROADWELL GEORGE AARON) writes:

Dear Jesus, YES! You'll start seeing the billboards a few kabillion
miles before you're near it. The billboards are as smacked-ass as the
town is.

Picture a 30-foot-long hotdog on a billboard with the caption
"You never sausage a place."

Drive through Kansas some time. Every town is "famous" for one thing
or another. Like "Goodland Kansas - world's first Helicopter" or
"Abilene Kansas - Home of the Greyhound Hall of Fame" or
"Russel County - Home of Elroy McSmedly, inventor of the thumbtack".
"World's Largest Ball of Twine - Next Right." You get the picture.

--- Jeff
Jeff DePolo N3HBZ Twisted Pair: (215) 386-7199
dep...@eniac.seas.upenn.edu RF: 146.685- 442.70+ 144.455s (Philadelphia)
University of Pennsylvania Carrier Pigeon: 420 S. 42nd St. Phila PA 19104