BEWARE OF SALES BY CLIFF GOLDSMITH OF BALDWIN, NY

Shawn Howard

Dec 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/10/98
Mr. Goldsmith has posted multiple messages of items for sale on this
newsgroup using the email address of Gun...@aol.com . Those items include
brass, bayonets, guns, and many other items. I ordered a couple of things
from him and sent payment on Nov 11. He cashed my dollar instrument on Nov
19. He replied to my email inquiring about shipping on Nov 25, and that he
would send me a tracking number. I haven't received any merchandise, and he
hasn't responded to my repeated emails. He receives his mail at a P.O. box
in Baldwin, NY. Do not order any items from him. He appears to be a LIAR
and a THIEF and has no intention of providing the merchandise.

I have done business with many readers of this NG, and I believe that over
99% are honest. It is a shame when the occasional jerk comes along. If
anyone lives in Baldwin, try to find this guy and provide me with a street
address. Thanks.

CSH

Please find out about rec.guns at http://doubletap.cs.umd.edu/rec.guns

Don Merritt, SGM

Dec 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/10/98

#
# I have done business with many readers of this NG, and I believe that over
# 99% are honest. It is a shame when the occasional jerk comes along. If
# anyone lives in Baldwin, try to find this guy and provide me with a street
# address. Thanks.
#

I too am currently (hopefully) doing business with this person. I sent
him a check for a carbine stock and M-1 trigger group.

I have not decided to take any action as yet, will wait for another two weeks.

I should have no problem finding his address, as I know the accounts
manager for his ISP.

Helps to have a daughter who is a computer engineer, and an account
supervisor for AOL (AKA AO hell)

Sincerely

Don

Don Merritt, SGM

Dec 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/10/98
<how...@Traveller.COM> wrote:

# Mr. Goldsmith has posted multiple messages of items for sale on this

#I have done business with many readers of this NG, and I believe that over

# 99% are honest. It is a shame when the occasional jerk comes along. If

#
He also is using the name (Alias) david brower.

DGM

ZEBMED

Dec 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/10/98
Shawn

I believe he has changed his email domain. Do a search on his name (Goldsmith)
and I believe you will find he has a track record for ripping people off over
the past several years.

.

chin...@ix.netcom.com

Dec 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/10/98
Shawn Howard wrote:
#
# Mr. Goldsmith has posted multiple messages of items for sale on this
# newsgroup using the email address of Gun...@aol.com .

Interesting! I've had a problem with an "Eric Goldsmith" with an email
address of HOTS...@aol.com who also operates out of a PO Box in
Baldwin, NY. Several months ago I bought a Lee-Enfield from him that
turned out not to be as described, and he has not replied to any emails
I've sent him, nor has he sent his FFL to my dealer so that the rifle
can be returned. Perhaps he's changed his spots and re-emerged as your
"Cliff Goldsmith" or there's a family operation going on? I, too, would
appreciate any info about the Goldsmiths of Baldwin, NY.
--
Eric Ching
Defensive Pistolcraft, Mountain View, CA

Geoffrey Sandvik

Dec 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/10/98
I remember seeing this guys name here before for doing the same thing!
GeoffS

Shawn Howard <how...@Traveller.COM> wrote in article
<74nnf6$m...@xring.cs.umd.edu>...

# Mr. Goldsmith has posted multiple messages of items for sale on this

# newsgroup using the email address of Gun...@aol.com . Those items
include

# in Baldwin, NY. Do not order any items from him. He appears to be a
LIAR
# and a THIEF and has no intention of providing the merchandise.

Crispie9

Dec 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/10/98
a good sight to deal with is gunsamerica.com
lots of stuff, and some at good prices

Brent

Crispie9

Dec 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/10/98
want to find him?
try
know.com
it may work

John

Dec 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/10/98
once you get your hands on this clown's address, make a post to the group
informing his victims that you have his address available upon request. depending
on the amount of some peoples' losses, someone may choose to pursue legal action.

Ronald C Bloom ii

Dec 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/10/98
I have ordered stuff from ERIC GOLDSMITH, that is his name. He has been
slow, but has come through. He is a procrastinating college student.
--
Ron Bloom
Collector of Military Curio and Relic Firearms

Shawn Howard <how...@Traveller.COM> wrote in article
<74nnf6$m...@xring.cs.umd.edu>...

include
things
Nov
he
he
box
LIAR
over
street

Joe Falcone

Dec 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/10/98
I am a NYC Detective and live two towns from Baldwin, NY I would be glad to
help anyone who has been 'taken' by this guy. Though Baldwin is in Nassau
County and not my jurisdiction I would be happy to be the middleman between
any of his victims and the local police. If any of the transaction was done
through the US Mail and he has failed to come through with the items paid
for he is committing Mail Fraud - a Federal offense. Feel free to email me
for help!

Shawn Howard wrote in message <74nnf6$m...@xring.cs.umd.edu>...
he

gabrial

Dec 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/10/98

Shawn Howard wrote

.. Do not order any items from him. He appears to be a LIAR
#and a THIEF and has no intention of providing the merchandise.

You know I almost posted something similar about this guy, I did much the
same as you, sent him a MO, it was cashed etc.. long wait. But I did
finally get the items, he just seems to be waaay slow in shipping.. Hope you
get your stuff..

gabrial

The Judiciary of the United States is the subtle corps of sappers and miners
constantly working under ground to undermine the foundations of our
confederated fabric." (1820)
Thomas Jefferson

load...@aol.com

Dec 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/11/98
In article <74p1kg$q...@xring.cs.umd.edu>,
chin...@ix.netcom.com wrote:

# Shawn Howard wrote:
# #

The lesson here for the rest of us potential "suckers" is NEVER send money to
a guy using a P.O. Box. Get a street address! While not foolproof it sure
makes it harder for these clowns to pull this garbage and not get someone
they know involved if they don't reside there themselves.

Lee

GreyGhost

Dec 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/11/98
In article <74q0nj$v...@xring.cs.umd.edu>, gabr...@bellsouth.net Didst belch out...
#
#
#Shawn Howard wrote
#
#.. Do not order any items from him. He appears to be a LIAR
##and a THIEF and has no intention of providing the merchandise.
#
#
# You know I almost posted something similar about this guy, I did much the
#same as you, sent him a MO, it was cashed etc.. long wait. But I did
#finally get the items, he just seems to be waaay slow in shipping.. Hope you
#get your stuff..

What did you order, and how long did it take?

#****************************************************************************
#The Judiciary of the United States is the subtle corps of sappers and miners
#constantly working under ground to undermine the foundations of our
#confederated fabric." (1820)
#Thomas Jefferson

I thought that was Hollywood.

GreyGhost

dahm...@tc.umn.edu

Dec 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/11/98
In article <74p1kg$q...@xring.cs.umd.edu>,
chin...@ix.netcom.com wrote:
# Shawn Howard wrote:
# #
# # Mr. Goldsmith has posted multiple messages of items for sale on this
# # newsgroup using the email address of Gun...@aol.com .
#
# Interesting! I've had a problem with an "Eric Goldsmith" with an email
# address of HOTS...@aol.com who also operates out of a PO Box in
# Baldwin, NY. Several months ago I bought a Lee-Enfield from him that
#
# Eric Ching

I got burned by HOTSHOT2B last spring for 500 30-06 brass. Kept promising
that they had been shipped or were about to be. I didn't bother posting
because it was only $30 and I looked on it as a lesson.

--
Karl
dahm...@tc.umn.edu

Tivers

Dec 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/11/98
Same experience, posted here nearly two years ago. His daddy had to pay back my
deposit after I suggested that mail fraud was in the air.

A totally irresponsible asshole.

ti
Tom Ivers
President: Equine Racing Systems, Inc.
http://www.equineracing.com

Ronald C Bloom ii

Dec 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/11/98
I got a good deal from him, he sold me a Finn M28, that was upgraded toe
M28/30 configuration. Rare gun, and I would say that he did not know what
he had, service was slow, but I got the gun and ammo.
--
Ron Bloom
Collector of Military Curio and Relic Firearms

chin...@ix.netcom.com wrote in article <74p1kg$q...@xring.cs.umd.edu>...

brad

Dec 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/11/98
On 11 Dec 1998 10:27:18 -0500, load...@aol.com wrote:

#In article <74p1kg$q...@xring.cs.umd.edu>,
# chin...@ix.netcom.com wrote:
## Shawn Howard wrote:
## #
#
#The lesson here for the rest of us potential "suckers" is NEVER send money to
#a guy using a P.O. Box. Get a street address! While not foolproof it sure
#makes it harder for these clowns to pull this garbage and not get someone
#they know involved if they don't reside there themselves.
#
#Lee
#

This opinion may be useful for some, but not all.
I use a PO box, I have to, at the local PO. I have no other choice.
I have not burned anyone. Just had a guy send me MO's for $1030
for one of my Colts, and another send CASH for an ARMS mount.
THEY BOTH got what they paid for...actually more...as I understated
condition on both so that the buyer would be happy.

I DO think is is useful to feel out the seller with a phone call or
two, though.

Regards,

Brad

cru...@sky.net

Dec 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/11/98
If any part of your transaction was carried through the US Mail,
turn in a complaint to your local Postal Inspector. You
description of the transactin appears to be mail fraud by Mr.
Goldsmith.

Mike W.

Shawn Howard wrote:

-

Don Merritt, SGM

Dec 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/11/98
In article <ASYb2.2873$5v3.19...@news.optonline.net>, Joe Falcone
<jfal...@nassau.cv.net> wrote:

# I am a NYC Detective and live two towns from Baldwin, NY I would be glad to
# help anyone who has been 'taken' by this guy. Though Baldwin is in Nassau
# County and not my jurisdiction I would be happy to be the middleman between
# any of his victims and the local police. If any of the transaction was done
# through the US Mail and he has failed to come through with the items paid
# for he is committing Mail Fraud - a Federal offense. Feel free to email me
# for help!
#

Dear Sir:

I located him at the following address:

Eric Goldsmith, of 790 Hastings St, Baldwin, NY.

As I previously posted, I mailed him a check for 60 bucks for a carbine
stock and M-1 trigger group about a month ago. I'm still willing to give
him the benefit of the doube, but after reviewing the other posts, I
wonder......

Sincerely

Don Merritt
Antelope CA

TimL28

Dec 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/12/98
If you're on AOL, look up his profile. If not, here it is. He clearly has
the maturity and IQ of a 5 year old. You folks are dealing with a child; read
this and tell me if you would send him a nickel:

Member Name: ???????????????????
Location: NY, Some kind of Island, which is not to big, but hell it got a
lot of JAPS whch it would be life threatning to them if there was no such thing
as "Desinger Clothes"Lol!!!!!!!
Birthdate: 8/8/??
Sex: Male
Marital Status: Takin SORRY!
Hobbies: AOL, N64, TV, Hangin out with my peeps,South Park
Computers: Supra dupa piece of $hit With Somthin called a pentium and like
this gigabyte (If you really care,u have no life).
Occupation:
TV Shows:SNL, South Park, Seinfeld, Mad TV, Jerry Springer (fighting kicks ass,
lol)
Personal Quote:
My Peeps: Nicole(dont worry, I will do my Cartman impression),Gil,Carly L,
Carly K, Jon, Horheta(Gordon), Emily, Arielle,Ben,Sean,Louis,Gido n, And
everyone else.

Pieces Of Crap: Freda, Lisa, ROY!!!!,Brett,

Alexander Eichener

Dec 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/12/98
Eric, good to hear from you again, albeit on a somber topic...

On 10 Dec 1998 chin...@ix.netcom.com wrote:

# Interesting! I've had a problem with an "Eric Goldsmith" with an email
# address of HOTS...@aol.com who also operates out of a PO Box in
# Baldwin, NY. Several months ago I bought a Lee-Enfield from him that

# turned out not to be as described, and he has not replied to any emails

Mr. Eric Goldsmith has been known on rec.guns for many years. My
impression, gleaned from many different postings of people over years, was
that is not a downright crook, but rather lives on a shoestring, over
first taking the money and then trying to procure the gun. Also, that he
is sometimes very slow. On the other hand, I *have* seen a couple of
postings by people who were content with what they got from him. My
recommendation would be to be very careful, and use a credit card (if he
accepts it) or COD.

I have not yet had any personal dealings with him.

--
Alexander Eichener, Heidelberg
Main address: c...@ix.urz.uni-heidelberg.de

dahm...@tc.umn.edu

Dec 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/12/98
In article <74sbhb$8...@xring.cs.umd.edu>,
dme...@ns.net (Don Merritt, SGM) wrote:

# Dear Sir:
#
# I located him at the following address:
#
# Eric Goldsmith, of 790 Hastings St, Baldwin, NY.
#
# As I previously posted, I mailed him a check for 60 bucks for a carbine
# stock and M-1 trigger group about a month ago. I'm still willing to give
# him the benefit of the doube, but after reviewing the other posts, I
# wonder......
#
# Sincerely
#
# Don Merritt
# Antelope CA

I contacted him about my brass. He said that he sent the package twice and
it came back marked as no such address. Didn't bother to e-mail me about it
at the time - hmmm, something fishy. He promised to send it out immediately
and email the tracking number. Think maybe the heat on the newsgroup (and
irate people contacting him) started to get him hopping?

I'll keep y'all posted.

Sharpshutr

Dec 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/12/98
Does this guy have a ffl dealer's license? Has anyone received a copy of one
from him? Has anyone sent him a copy of their ffl to use for his own purposes?
When the seller receives the money for the firearm it's time for them to give
you the buyer the serial # of said firearm/ if not before. Demand a serial
#!!!! you paid for it. That way you have a specific item that was promised to
you and not delivered. It also keeps them from shopping on your dime for the
firearm after you have paid them for it.

Ronald C Bloom ii

Dec 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/13/98
He asked me to send him a copy of my FFL, but I believe he does not have
one.

--
Ron Bloom
Collector of Military Curio and Relic Firearms

Sharpshutr <sharp...@aol.com> wrote in article
<74v1qt$g...@xring.cs.umd.edu>...
of one
purposes?
give
serial
promised to
the

B. Norman Brown MD

Dec 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/13/98
I think it is important that this guy be the subject of a complaint to the
Postal Inspectors. The investigation would be done on the Federal dime, not
yours, and the result would likely be some jail time.

Also, if he is misusing a FFL, then BATF needs to receive a complaint as
well. Either way the Feds should shut him down. Maybe the Feds aren't ALL
bad ?
BNB
ZEBMED wrote in message <74p1hn$q...@xring.cs.umd.edu>...
(Goldsmith)
over

Jay Roehl

Dec 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/13/98
As stated before, this guy also goes by several other names and also has
to change his e-mail address quite often. I know for a fact that he has
also taken several on the rec.knives newsgroup as well. Stay clear of
this shyster.

Robert P. Firriolo

Dec 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/13/98
In rec.guns, Jay Roehl <ro...@knoxnews.infi.net> wrote:

#As stated before, this guy also goes by several other names and also has
#to change his e-mail address quite often. I know for a fact that he has
#also taken several on the rec.knives newsgroup as well. Stay clear of
#this shyster.

Those of us who are lawyers object to the use of the term "shyster."
Shysters are crooked lawyers. This guy may be a crook, but nobody
said he was a lawyer! ;-)

__________________
Robert P. Firriolo

Don't Tread on Me!

"Little more can reasonably be aimed at, with respect to the
people at large, than to have them properly armed and equipped."

- Alexander Hamilton
The Federalist Papers - Number 29

BorgPiper

Dec 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/15/98
I'm 5 minutes from the Baldwin, NY Post Office.

Here is the telephone Number:

516-223-6995

Maybe they can help if it is Mail Fraud you are Dealing with.

Tom Riggs

Dec 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/15/98
If you sent a check by US Mail, as the address suggests, Please contact your local
U.S. Postal Inspection Service. This is what they are there for. They are as
anxious to squelch mail fraud as anybody is.

chin...@ix.netcom.com

Dec 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/16/98
Tom Riggs wrote:
#
# If you sent a check by US Mail, as the address suggests, Please contact your local
# U.S. Postal Inspection Service. This is what they are there for. They are as
# anxious to squelch mail fraud as anybody is.

Their fraud line email address is: fr...@uspis.gov

I sent them an email on Monday about Mr. Goldsmith and followed it up
today with an email to the Long Island Better Business Bureau.
--
Eric Ching
Defensive Pistolcraft, Mountain View, CA
Web Site: http://www.netcom.com/~chingesh/
“The Pen is Mightier Than the Sword . . . Except in a Swordfight.”
“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.”
-- Sigmund Freud, A General Introduction to Psychoanalysis

Jeffrey Maass

Dec 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/16/98
Tom Riggs (thr...@netusa1.net) wrote:
: If you sent a check by US Mail, as the address suggests, Please contact your local
: U.S. Postal Inspection Service. This is what they are there for. They are as
: anxious to squelch mail fraud as anybody is.

That is not my experience.

USPS was not interested in doing anything unless it was someone scamming a
mass market. They were not interested in getting involved in a one-on-one
crime.

YMMV, but I as very disappointed by the response I got.

DVC,
--
Jeff Maass jma...@freenet.columbus.oh.us http://www.netexp.net/~jmaass
USPSA/IPSC # L-1192 NROI/CRO Amateur Radio K8ND NW of Columbus Ohio

John Galt

Dec 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/20/98
GreyGhost wrote:

# # You know I almost posted something similar about this guy, I did much the

# #same as you, sent him a MO, it was cashed etc.. long wait. But I did
# #finally get the items, he just seems to be waaay slow in shipping.. Hope you
# #get your stuff..
#
# What did you order, and how long did it take?

I'm a different person, but I ordered an M-44 from Eric Baldwin 2 years ago and got it
about 6 months later. He was then, as someone else claimed, a procrastinative college
student.

*Always* get a telephone number and discuss a purchase with a remote buyer.

--
When people take their freedom for granted it is most in peril.