Smoothbore .22

Dana Farrell

Nov 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/22/97

When I was a kid in Boy Scouts we shot miniture skeet at a summer camp
using a smoothbore .22 with birdshot loads. The clay targets were scaled
down versions thrown from a mechanical launcher. Does anyone have any
info about where these type items may be purchased? Are they
standard-production products, or custom items? Thanks, Dana Farrell
dan...@umich.edu

Donald Heyser

Nov 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/25/97

Dana Farrell wrote:
#
# When I was a kid in Boy Scouts we shot miniture skeet at a summer camp
# using a smoothbore .22 with birdshot loads. The clay targets were scaled
# down versions thrown from a mechanical launcher. Does anyone have any
# info about where these type items may be purchased? Are they
# standard-production products, or custom items? Thanks, Dana Farrell
# dan...@umich.edu

Was most lilkely a MOSSBERG "TARGA" developed some time ago, and long
out of production. Contact Mr. Vic Havlin at 314)937-6401 he will know
if there are any for sale, he is pres. of the Mossberg Collectors Assc.

Mark D. Esswein

Nov 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/26/97

I shot these in Boy Scouts too. I think the targets were called MO-Skeet-O
- they were just slightly larger than an Oreo Cookie.

The one thing I remember was that they were next to impossible to hit - at
least for me.

Donald Heyser <dahe...@earthlink.net> wrote in article
<65fn8h$5...@xring.cs.umd.edu>...
# Dana Farrell wrote:
#
snip!
#
# Was most lilkely a MOSSBERG "TARGA" developed some time ago, and long
# out of production. Contact Mr. Vic Havlin at 314)937-6401 he will know
# if there are any for sale, he is pres. of the Mossberg Collectors Assc.
#
#

Spydaman

Nov 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/26/97

Donald Heyser wrote:
#
# Dana Farrell wrote:
# #

# # When I was a kid in Boy Scouts we shot miniture skeet at a summer camp
# # using a smoothbore .22 with birdshot loads. The clay targets were scaled
# # down versions thrown from a mechanical launcher. Does anyone have any
# # info about where these type items may be purchased? Are they
# # standard-production products, or custom items? Thanks, Dana Farrell
# # dan...@umich.edu

#
# Was most lilkely a MOSSBERG "TARGA" developed some time ago, and long
# out of production. Contact Mr. Vic Havlin at 314)937-6401 he will know
# if there are any for sale, he is pres. of the Mossberg Collectors Assc.
A few years ago I owned a Remington Fieldmaster (pump action) .22
smoothbore. I believe the Fieldmaster is still in production though i'm
not sure about the smoothbore option.

Dale Larson

Nov 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/26/97

In article <65hh3d$a...@xring.cs.umd.edu>, mess...@erols.com says...
#
#I shot these in Boy Scouts too. I think the targets were called
MO-Skeet-O
#- they were just slightly larger than an Oreo Cookie.
#
#The one thing I remember was that they were next to impossible to hit -
at
#least for me.
#
#Donald Heyser <dahe...@earthlink.net> wrote in article
#<65fn8h$5...@xring.cs.umd.edu>...
## Dana Farrell wrote:
##
#snip!
##
## Was most lilkely a MOSSBERG "TARGA" developed some time ago, and long
## out of production. Contact Mr. Vic Havlin at 314)937-6401 he will
know
## if there are any for sale, he is pres. of the Mossberg Collectors
Assc.
##
##
#
I didn't see the original question asked here. Just what is quoted
above. But, if the question was the existance of a smoothbore
22. the winchester m67 single shot bolt action was avaliable
as a smoothbore

The only substitute for good manners
is
quick reflexes
Dale Larson

Red Rider

Nov 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/27/97

Winchester and Remington among others had these smoothbore .22's. It was
called a "Rutledge Bore". The last ones I remember seeing were six
Winchester bolt actions, being used by some Boy Scouts in the late 1960's
in North Carolina. They shot at small disks. I beleive the guns were the
property of the USMC Reserve Training Center in Raleigh NC, as some Marines
(reserves) were the marksmanship instructors for this group of Boy Scouts.
(They were also shooting Remington 40-X .22's, Colt Woodsman Pistols, and
Hi-Standard Match Pistols). It is also possiable that these weapons were
owned by Sir Walter Gun Club in Raleigh, as they ran the range that was
used. Maybe there is a member of the club out there that knows.

Red Rider

Rocky Clayton

Nov 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/27/97

Donald Heyser <dahe...@earthlink.net> wrote in article <65fn8h$5...@xring.cs.umd.edu>...

# Dana Farrell wrote:
# #
# # When I was a kid in Boy Scouts we shot miniture skeet at a summer camp
# # using a smoothbore .22 with birdshot loads. The clay targets were scaled
# # down versions thrown from a mechanical launcher. Does anyone have any
# # info about where these type items may be purchased? Are they
# # standard-production products, or custom items? Thanks, Dana Farrell

We had the very same setup at our Boy Scout camp
in New Mexico. The guns were Remington .22
smooth bore "shotguns". They looked exactly like
model 514 single shot .22's. The shells were much
longer than what we call rat shot. Like you said,
the targets were much smaller than normal trap
birds.

Rocky Clayton

SpydrWeb

Nov 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/27/97

Dana Farrell wrote:

# When I was a kid in Boy Scouts we shot miniture skeet at a summer camp
# using a smoothbore .22 with birdshot loads. The clay targets were scaled
# down versions thrown from a mechanical launcher. Does anyone have any
# info about where these type items may be purchased? Are they
# standard-production products, or custom items? Thanks, Dana Farrell

# dan...@umich.edu

The one I had when I was a kid back in the mid to late 1940's was made in
Germany. My dad brought it back as a WWII souvenir. Maybe you could use one
of the european search engines to come up with something.

Ed

Dennis Rufer

Nov 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/28/97

SpydrWeb wrote:
#
# Dana Farrell wrote:
#
# # When I was a kid in Boy Scouts we shot miniture skeet at a summer camp
# # using a smoothbore .22 with birdshot loads. The clay targets were scaled
# # down versions thrown from a mechanical launcher. Does anyone have any
# # info about where these type items may be purchased? Are they
# # standard-production products, or custom items? Thanks, Dana Farrell
# # dan...@umich.edu
#
# The one I had when I was a kid back in the mid to late 1940's was made in
# Germany. My dad brought it back as a WWII souvenir. Maybe you could use one
# of the european search engines to come up with something.
#
# Ed

I believe Remington still manufactures this as a Model 121 pump. The
first part of the barrel is .22 then opens up to.40. Pretty neat.

Arthur Sprague

Nov 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/28/97

Many years ago I used a cleaning rod with emery cloth driven by an
electric drill to create my own smooth-bore .22. I think it did
improve the pattern, but it was so many years ago I can't recall any
specifics. Sure was smooth-bore. Wonder what the choke was?

Sawdog357

Nov 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/30/97

Cylinder, of course. :-)

Gus Porterhouse
"You think it's broken? Let me make sure..."

Isaac Wilder

Dec 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/2/97

Red Rider (vau...@onslowonline.net) wrote:
: Winchester and Remington among others had these smoothbore .22's. It was

: Red Rider

If they were Rutledge smooth bores they had a bunch of very expensive
rifles. If they were the garden variety of Winchester smooth bores then
nearly not so desirable. As far as I know there isn't anyway to tell a
"Rutledge bore" from a normal gun with a smooth counter bore. Do you know
any way? That makes it awful easy to fake. I'm not familiar with the
Remington guns.

--
Isaac(Ike) B. Wilder

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Lee B. Frette

Dec 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/6/97

Seems as though Remington also made one of its single shot bolts (510
I think) as a SB at least as late as the early 60's. I have never seen
one, but remember the ads in F&S.

I have had most of the 51x models at one time or another, and am
always looking for one of the SB's - or the 513S.

Lee B. Frette
fre...@frontiernet.net

-Weisman,M.H.

Dec 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/7/97

In article <66bv0l$f...@xring.cs.umd.edu>,
Lee B. Frette <fre...@frontiernet.net> wrote:
[SNIP]

There is a company in Canada called "Lakefield",
that I think is now a part of Savage, that makes (or recently made)
low-end smoothbore .22's.

Mike Weisman.