Question on US Rayearth opening

Alan Kwan

Nov 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/7/98
In the US release of the game, is the entire visual part of the
opening anime going to be kept, or is the (no-detail-nude)
transformation (?) scene censored?

"Live life with Heart." - Alan Kwan / ta...@notme.netvigator.com
http://home.netvigator.com/~tarot (hard-core game reviews)
DS Editor - http://www.dimension-s.com
(please remove anti-spam section "notme." from mailing address)

Raymond McKeithen II

Nov 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/7/98

Alan Kwan wrote in message <3644701b...@news.netvigator.com>...

>In the US release of the game, is the entire visual part of the
>opening anime going to be kept, or is the (no-detail-nude)
>transformation (?) scene censored?

I've wondered about that myself, in addition to the "SD-form" equivalent of
that in the game when you 'go up a level...'

remove 2 nospam's for email...
Raymond

Vincent Diamante

Nov 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/7/98
Maybe I'm wrong (I deleted it a while ago) but I'm
sure they kept the trandformation sequence within the
opening, which was completely unedited.

Sklathill

Nathan Stehle

Nov 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/7/98

Vincent Diamante wrote:

> Maybe I'm wrong (I deleted it a while ago) but I'm
> sure they kept the trandformation sequence within the
> opening, which was completely unedited.
>
> Sklathil

It is as you say. They kept the "nudity". No big deal, but
maybe some people might care.

Vincent Diamante

Nov 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/7/98
There was a pilot 1st ep done and dubbed and seen and deplored...
I think...I've not seen a single bit of this...

Sklathill

Alan Kwan wrote:

> On Sat, 07 Nov 1998 14:34:19 -0500, Vincent Diamante
> <sdia...@erols.com> wrote:
>
> >Maybe I'm wrong (I deleted it a while ago) but I'm
> >sure they kept the trandformation sequence within the
> >opening, which was completely unedited.
>

> I see.
>
> Let me see ... Rayearth is never shown on TV in America, is that
> correct?

Alan Kwan

Nov 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/8/98

Henry LaPierre

Nov 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/8/98
In <3644701b...@news.netvigator.com> ta...@notme.netvigator.com

(Alan Kwan) writes:

>In the US release of the game, is the entire visual part of the
>opening anime going to be kept, or is the (no-detail-nude)
>transformation (?) scene censored?

From what I saw it remained the same. As did the level ups.

Henry LaPierre
fre...@ix.netcom.com

Paul J Chi

Nov 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/8/98
Yes, there was a pilot, and apparently it was so bad that it contributed
to the demise of Magic Knight Rayearth in the US. In short, there has been
no commercial release of Magic Knight Rayearth/Rayearth in English,
meaning no TV, VHS, CD, VCD, LD, DVD, etc.

> There was a pilot 1st ep done and dubbed and seen and deplored...
> I think...I've not seen a single bit of this...
>
> Sklathill
>
> Alan Kwan wrote:
> >

> > On Sat, 07 Nov 1998 14:34:19 -0500, Vincent Diamante
> > <sdia...@erols.com> wrote:
> >
> > >Maybe I'm wrong (I deleted it a while ago) but I'm
> > >sure they kept the trandformation sequence within the
> > >opening, which was completely unedited.
> >
> > I see.
> >
> > Let me see ... Rayearth is never shown on TV in America, is that
> > correct?

Victor Ireland

Nov 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/8/98
In article <paulchi-0811...@ubppp-246-013.ppp-net.buffalo.edu>,
pau...@acsu.buffalo.edu says...

> Yes, there was a pilot, and apparently it was so bad that it contributed
> to the demise of Magic Knight Rayearth in the US. In short, there has been
> no commercial release of Magic Knight Rayearth/Rayearth in English,
> meaning no TV, VHS, CD, VCD, LD, DVD, etc.

Actually, though episode 1 was all that was widely seen in the "industry"
circles, since it was used for promotion of the sale of the series, the
ENTIRE first season is dubbed. Yes, it's dubbed just as badly, and the
opening song is something like "Rayearth, Rayearth...da da da da da da
Rayearth, Rayearth..." but it IS done. :)

--
Don't Believe the Hype -
Vic

Vincent Diamante

Nov 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/8/98
Oh god...something we did NOT need to know...

Now that I think about that, I really like your dub of the
OP. ^_^;;

You got any jobs open for a recording and/or audio engineer? ^_^;;

Sklathill

Scott Call - Verio Northern California

Nov 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/9/98
Victor Ireland <vire...@workingdesigns.com> wrote:
> Actually, though episode 1 was all that was widely seen in the "industry"
> circles, since it was used for promotion of the sale of the series, the
> ENTIRE first season is dubbed. Yes, it's dubbed just as badly, and the
> opening song is something like "Rayearth, Rayearth...da da da da da da
> Rayearth, Rayearth..." but it IS done. :)

I hope if it ever gets released in the US it's re-dubbed (or even SUB'd!)

The fact that that exists at all is almost as frightening as the partially
extant dubs of Project A-Ko as "Superstar" and Bubble Crisis as something
equally horrid (company went under before they could be released, but the
"trailers" are on some gag anime reels I've seen.,

-Scott

Michael Mr. Groovy Toole

Nov 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/9/98
In article <MPG.10afb81df...@news.mindspring.com>,

vire...@workingdesigns.com (Victor Ireland) wrote:
> Actually, though episode 1 was all that was widely seen in the "industry"
> circles, since it was used for promotion of the sale of the series, the
> ENTIRE first season is dubbed. Yes, it's dubbed just as badly, and the
> opening song is something like "Rayearth, Rayearth...da da da da da da
> Rayearth, Rayearth..." but it IS done. :)

Really? That's interesting-- I recall reading in an interview with the
actress at the Ocean Group who portrayed Alcyone that she only worked on
the pilot.

Also interesting is the fact that TMS are no longer offering Rayearth
up for sale, and Matt Greenfield (general manager of ADV Films) claimed at
Neko-con that some company or another had bought the rights to the
series. Maybe a video release sometime soon will boost sales of the
Saturn game by a couple of units... ;-)
--
michael "mr. groovy" toole ------> chie...@animejump.com
Anime Jump WWW magazine. Go here: www.animejump.com

Victor Ireland

Nov 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/9/98
In article <chiefdork-091...@209.61.77.241>, chie...@animejump.com (Michael
"Mr. Groovy" Toole) says...

> Also interesting is the fact that TMS are no longer offering Rayearth
> up for sale, and Matt Greenfield (general manager of ADV Films) claimed at
> Neko-con that some company or another had bought the rights to the
> series. Maybe a video release sometime soon will boost sales of the
> Saturn game by a couple of units... ;-)

Hmm. Since I'm not directly involved in the anime sales side (thank
GOD, the game side's been nightmare enough, thank you very much),
I can only go off what I've heard from people actually involved in
that at TMS and Kodansha, but last I heard, the series was still
up for sale, and at a higher price because of all the good karma
the game will lend the series. Pretty funny, huh?

Perhaps I will try to find out the absolute status of the US
incarnation of the series...just for grins.

chie...@animejump.com

Nov 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/25/98
In article <MPG.10b04833e...@news.mindspring.com>,

vire...@workingdesigns.com (Victor Ireland) wrote:
> Hmm. Since I'm not directly involved in the anime sales side (thank
[snippage..]

> Perhaps I will try to find out the absolute status of the US
> incarnation of the series...just for grins.

Well, you won't need to. John Siraballa of Media Blasters announced that
they'd licensed all 49 of the TV series episodes for release in the 'states.
The kicker is, it's not coming out 'till Fall '99. ;-)

Now all I need is a DVD release... so Vic, is Rayearth back from manufacture
yet? How soon? How soon? ;-)

Victor Ireland

Nov 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/25/98
In article <73hofa$dns$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>, chie...@animejump.com says...

> > Hmm. Since I'm not directly involved in the anime sales side (thank
> [snippage..]
> > Perhaps I will try to find out the absolute status of the US
> > incarnation of the series...just for grins.
>
> Well, you won't need to. John Siraballa of Media Blasters announced that
> they'd licensed all 49 of the TV series episodes for release in the 'states.
> The kicker is, it's not coming out 'till Fall '99. ;-)
>
> Now all I need is a DVD release... so Vic, is Rayearth back from manufacture
> yet? How soon? How soon? ;-)

Yeesh. Won't the series be kinda...um, OLD by then? (Like I should talk. :) ).

Hopefully they're using the time to re-dub the thing...

As for Rayearth US, I *heard*, and this is by NO means conclusive, that
the game would be ready to ship on 12/8/98. As soon as we know for certain,
we'll post on our website and official date.

Joshua Kaufman

Nov 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/27/98
S.Knight wrote:

> In article <MPG.10c62c18e...@news.mindspring.com>,

> vire...@workingdesigns.com (Victor Ireland) wrote:
>
> > Yeesh. Won't the series be kinda...um, OLD by then? (Like I should talk. :) ).
> >
> > Hopefully they're using the time to re-dub the thing...
> >
> > As for Rayearth US, I *heard*, and this is by NO means conclusive, that
> > the game would be ready to ship on 12/8/98. As soon as we know for certain,
> > we'll post on our website and official date.
>
> I'm definitely not holding my breath for the release.
>
> Just wondering, why do you post nearly twice as much in the Sega group than
> the Sony one? It's not like you make games for sega anymore.

Because more people are talking about Sega related WD titles at the
moment probably...

-Joshua
--

User of the name Aerith... Master bad punner... Composer of 8 opi....
Player of FF series... Worshiper of Nobuo Uematsu... Watcher of Sailor

ICQ#: 5404138 AOL-IM: TerraEpon

"Is the whole world going bonkers or is it just me!?!"
- Serena on Sailor Moon (eps. 54)
"As you can see, this is a Playstation black disk. Cut number 1 contains
computer data, so please, don't play it. But you probably won't listen
to me, will you?"
- Alucard, when you put C-SOTN in a CD-player

Victor Ireland

Nov 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/27/98
In article <73nei3$uf5$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>, we...@concentric.net says...

> I'm definitely not holding my breath for the release.
>
> Just wondering, why do you post nearly twice as much in the Sega group than
> the Sony one? It's not like you make games for sega anymore.

Um, I think MKR qualifies as a game, and the next in line. Also, the ONLY
Saturn game in quite some time, so there's quite a bit of message activity.

S.Knight

Nov 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/28/98

> Yeesh. Won't the series be kinda...um, OLD by then? (Like I should talk. :) ).
>
> Hopefully they're using the time to re-dub the thing...
>
> As for Rayearth US, I *heard*, and this is by NO means conclusive, that
> the game would be ready to ship on 12/8/98. As soon as we know for certain,
> we'll post on our website and official date.

I'm definitely not holding my breath for the release.

Just wondering, why do you post nearly twice as much in the Sega group than
the Sony one? It's not like you make games for sega anymore.

S.Knight

Nov 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/28/98
In article <MPG.10c912f78...@news.mindspring.com>,

vire...@workingdesigns.com (Victor Ireland) wrote:
> In article <73nei3$uf5$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>, we...@concentric.net says...
> > I'm definitely not holding my breath for the release.
> >
> > Just wondering, why do you post nearly twice as much in the Sega group than
> > the Sony one? It's not like you make games for sega anymore.
> >

> Um, I think MKR qualifies as a game, and the next in line. Also, the ONLY
> Saturn game in quite some time, so there's quite a bit of message activity.

Yes but when was this game announced? You have plenty more games
being made for Sony yet you post twice as much in the sega group. So
your response doesn't really answer my question.

Victor Ireland

Nov 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/28/98
In article <73plhu$kmh$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>, we...@concentric.net says...

> > Um, I think MKR qualifies as a game, and the next in line. Also, the ONLY
> > Saturn game in quite some time, so there's quite a bit of message activity.
>
> Yes but when was this game announced? You have plenty more games
> being made for Sony yet you post twice as much in the sega group. So
> your response doesn't really answer my question.

You're really reaching here. We have TWO games announced for Sony that
haven't shipped, LUNAR and Silhouette Mirage. We have ONE game still
to ship for Saturn. I guess if you go by percentages, that's "PLENTY
MORE", but it's really only 1 more game than Saturn at the moment.

Look, what it boils down to is: If there are questions I can answer
that haven't been addressed, I do. Apparently, there have been more
that fit this criteria on the SEGA group (probably since we have a
5 year history with SEGA and only about 1 with Sony), so, therefore,
I post more.

Michael Mr. Groovy Toole

Nov 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/28/98
In article <MPG.10c62c18e...@news.mindspring.com>,

vire...@workingdesigns.com (Victor Ireland) wrote:
> Yeesh. Won't the series be kinda...um, OLD by then? (Like I should talk. :) ).

Absolutely not. It was run on Japanese TV in 1994, and while a 4-year
turnaround time isn't particularly quick, Rayearth is still -EXTREMELY-
popular among the hardcore-geek fanbase. Bootlegged fansubs of it have
been circulating for a few years. It's good to know it'll be coming out--
I want a DVD release.

> Hopefully they're using the time to re-dub the thing...

Well, doing a good dub would be in their best interests. Then again, a
lot of anime companies are cheap bastards... well, we'll see.