NHL '94 : My Early Thoughts...

Derek Van Patter

Sep 23, 1993, 3:26:04 PM9/23/93
Well, it finally happened...

Last night I went and picked up my long awaited copy of
NHL '94, and I haven't stopped playing it since. Right now,
I'm on a short break at school so thought I'd write a few
notes. Here's the biggest changes:

1- "The Move" is much much less successful at this point.
The most goals anyone has scored in five minute periods is
7 and 2-1 games have been VERY common. Scoring seems much
harder but then again it did in the first few days of NHLPA '93
as well so only time will tell if 30 goal games become the norm
again!

2- They've added a one-timer shot. Truly great. It makes some
beautiful goals where the puck is centred to the front of
the net and BAM! quickly and straight into the net! Truly an
exciting new feature that we've probably been using far too much
but hey! it's still new.

3- STATS! Man does this have stats. I have no idea if the 64-goal limit
still exists (I sure hope not) but it has added some great features.
You can have up to seven users and the cart keeps track of your
overall win-loss record which is quite quite cool. It also keeps
track of the most goals and saves by each user as well as the most
goals and saves in one game for each team AND each player in the league.
It will tell you for example that Doug Gilmour has scored 4 goals in a
game, which of the seven users scored this and against which team and
which user.

4- You can control your goalie. You don't have to. You have to hold the B
button down for a second to get control. Seems good but to be honest,
we keep forgetting to take control and when we do we tend to screw it up
and let in a goal.

5- A shootout feature. Basically to practise goaltending I believe.

6- Four-Way play. My video game store won't get the adapters 'til
tomorrow so I can't say much about this yet except that it should
be great with the one-timer because you can now score passing
goals!

7- More balance - Speed doesn't seem to be the only key to success
any more and in fact, the ratings are more reflective. No 100's
that I have noticed for speed. Bure's a 99, so probably that's
the highest. And Toronto is good, despite it's lack of speed.
I think this reflects that the game is a better simulation of
hockey not just a fast break and score game.

Other than that, game play is about the same. An excellent addition
to the series. If you liked NHLPA and NHL hockey as much as I did
I would get yourself a copy of NHL '94 now. It is WELL worth IMHO.

DEREK VAN PATTER

- -- Insert you favourite witty quote right here -- --
- --
- - Argos in '91, Jays in '92, Leafs in '93, NBA in '95 - --