VAY, too easy?

Jason Battiloro

Jul 24, 1994, 10:33:12 AM7/24/94
I just had the chance to get vay last week. I am really enjoying it
although it seems to be on the difficult side with all the battles you
must go through to beat a boss. I heard that when games are ported from
japan to the US they make the game easier for us "INEXPERENCED" RPGers in
the US. I was wondering if the same was done for Vay I cant picture it
being any harder without making the game boring. Anyone know if Working
Designs made any changes to Vay concerning the difficulty?

Hey Working Designs WHATS NEXT?

Jay

vicv...@delphi.com

Jul 25, 1994, 12:42:38 PM7/25/94
As you have guessed, Vay was made harder than the Japanese version. Much
harder. We wanted to be sure that all the "your games are great, but the
combat is brainless" letters were not written for naught. Maybe it's
a little too hard (just slightly), but at least it's not too easy. By the
time you reach the closing animation, there'll be a sense of accomplishment.

Popful mail is our next game. It's an Action/RPG originally programmed by
FALCOM!

DBTH - Vic

stehle nathan w

Jul 25, 1994, 4:23:21 PM7/25/94
In article <xK6RD2e....@delphi.com> vicv...@delphi.com writes:
>As you have guessed, Vay was made harder than the Japanese version. Much
>harder. We wanted to be sure that all the "your games are great, but the
>combat is brainless" letters were not written for naught. Maybe it's
>a little too hard (just slightly), but at least it's not too easy. By the
>time you reach the closing animation, there'll be a sense of accomplishment.

Or a sense of accomplishment of frustration of needless combat. It got
REAL annoying when I did not need the levels (Kinsey and Sandor at 999 hp)
and just wanted to wrap it up. There could have been more "puzzles"
to make the game hard. All in all, a very good game. The voice acting
was superb. I'm just whining becuase this was the first RPG in awhile
that I had to think about when I fought.

>Popful mail is our next game. It's an Action/RPG originally programmed by
>FALCOM!

When's it out?

Nathan Stehle

Graduate Student in Organic Chemsitry
"Early to bed and early to rise, makes a man stupid and blind in the eyes."
Mazer Rackham in Orson Scott Card's "Ender's Game"

Bob Tomasevich

Jul 25, 1994, 9:19:00 AM7/25/94
JB>I just had the chance to get vay last week. I am really enjoying it
JB>although it seems to be on the difficult side with all the battles you
JB>must go through to beat a boss.

Yes, it definitely is more difficult fighting bosses in the
game. With some of the bosses, I'd lose the party, BUT, I would
find the right attacks, spells, and items to use to kill the
boss the next time I fought him/it.

JB>I heard that when games are ported from
JB>japan to the US they make the game easier for us "INEXPERENCED" RPGers in
JB>the US. I was wondering if the same was done for Vay I cant picture it
JB>being any harder without making the game boring. Anyone know if Working
JB>Designs made any changes to Vay concerning the difficulty?

I can't see the game being more difficult than it is. Wow, that
would be a lot of fun, a fight every two steps...

Hint for fighting Sadoul (last boss): Use the TZXYYQL
(spelled wrong) spell on Sandor to get 1200 point hits
on Sadoul.
---
. MR/2 2.0 NR . If this was funny it would be a tagline.

car...@umassd.edu

Jul 26, 1994, 2:01:27 AM7/26/94

>Popful mail is our next game. It's an Action/RPG originally programmed by
>FALCOM!

Will you be keeping the original name when it's released? I don't know about
anyone else, but that name just doesn't seem right for an Action/RPG. A
kiddie adventure game maybe, but not a RPG.

vicv...@delphi.com

Jul 26, 1994, 12:50:37 PM7/26/94
Unless the game title is unredeemable, it is our general policy not to
mess with it. Popful Mail will remain the same for the US version. It
refers to the main character "Popful" (firstname) "Mail" last name. Once
you've played the game, it fits quite well. The game is due out in
November for the SEGA-CD.

DBTH - Vic

car...@umassd.edu

Jul 27, 1994, 11:47:32 PM7/27/94

Oh, OK. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Mark Johnson

Jul 28, 1994, 12:27:39 AM7/28/94
It is interesting to see what kind of changes occur when translations
happen.

Although I've never played the Japanese version of Vay, I can
image some of them.

One question I have is how many graphics were changed for the
North American version. I've noticed that every time a harpy has
appeared in a translated RPG, either the creature is replaced (Pocky
and Rocky for instance) or clothes are added. Out of interest
did the harpies in Vay get more clothing?

With the humorous comments some of the characters say (personally,
I like the humor in Vay better than Lunar), what did the original
Japanese translate into? The "Feeelings..." probably wouldn't
be as funny in Japan :)

And was that "Gold Vortex" in the Japanese version? That's one
of the most annoying things I've ever found in an RPG (very funny,
though).

On a programming note, I am rather impressed at the speed switching
between combat and the overhead view. (but I also was playing
Cosmic Fantasy 2 before this again, so the difference was dramitic :) )
The cinema scrolling seemed slightly jerky for some reason (I think
I remember Dark Wizard as being smoother), but I still am impressed
at how long cinema's can be on the Sega CD.

In respect to the music, it's above average in my opinion. I do
wish the CD was filled more though for variety... any CD product
I've worked on I've always tried to fill to the max :)
Probably the reason while I'll always support CD systems is
for the music, which is probably why I like Dark Wizard as much
as I do (though I wish that had more variety too), and I'll
always have a special place for any of the YS series (that end
boss theme in YS III... :) )

The first comparison I did with this game was with what I remembered
of Dragon Slayer for the Duo. Is there a relation between the two?
(the side scrollbar and menu bar is very similar for instance)

But in summary, I'm glad I bought it (I buy every RPG that comes
out though :) ). The only wishes I could have for it would be
more music, probably a little less combat, less linear, and
more detailed cities and dungeons to explore (I think towards
Final Fantasy II in this respect). But I find I am enjoying the game
and am always thinking "ok... I'll stop at the next town...", "ok...
I'll stop at the next dungeon...", "ok... for sure I'll go to sleep
after this battle...".

-MJ
(mjoh...@csc.uvic.ca "Gim" elsewhere)

vicv...@delphi.com

Jul 28, 1994, 12:40:08 PM7/28/94
Glad you're enjoying the game.

Most of the humor (99.99%) was not in the original Japanese version, but
added into the American version.

Sirufa's event, Gold Vortex, and, yes, bikini's for the Harpies were
some of the changes for the American version. We also added the scrolling
clouds to some of the combat scenes to give them more visual depth,
though the effect is somewhat obscured by the menus.

Also, the entire ending sequence was changed from the Japanese version. In
the original, there were just dialog boxes on static screens (the fire in
the pots in the castle didn't "burn"). Now, in addition to the closing
animation scene, the entire wrapup has actual music and dialogue from
the disc...a very nice change.

Again, thanks for your support.

DBTH - Vic

car...@umassd.edu

Jul 29, 1994, 2:44:28 AM7/29/94

>Glad you're enjoying the game.
>
>Most of the humor (99.99%) was not in the original Japanese version, but
>added into the American version.

It's obvious that the humor would have to be different to make up for the
different cultures, but am I right in assuming that the Japanese version had
"Japanese" humor?

BTW, what does DBTH mean?

vicv...@delphi.com

Jul 29, 1994, 7:07:10 PM7/29/94
No, the Japanese version had close to zero humor (with the exception of
the scene where you pick up PJ, where she winks - the dialogue was much
more boring than the US version).

On the other hand, LUNAR had about 25% of the humor of the US version,
which we modified and added to extensively for the US version.

Don't Believe the Hype -
Vic

David DAuria

Aug 4, 1994, 7:09:04 PM8/4/94
In article <mjohnson.775369659@sol> mjoh...@sol.UVic.CA (Mark Johnson) writes:

>One question I have is how many graphics were changed for the
>North American version. I've noticed that every time a harpy has
>appeared in a translated RPG, either the creature is replaced (Pocky
>and Rocky for instance) or clothes are added.

It seems that you're right. Actually, I can only think of one game were
a harpy appeared without clothing. Namely Miracle Warriors on the Master
System.(The final boss is some sort of Harpy.) Oddly enough, she appears on
the cover of the game box and is wearing some sort of armor. I'm surprised
they didn't put the armor on her in the game itself. So, anybody see any
other games with naked harpys?(US releases I mean.)

David D'Auria
dau...@csa.bu.edu