Polybius?? - strange...

Joey

Apr 11, 2001, 9:19:07 AM4/11/01
Have you guys read about that supposed game, Polybius? There's a
description on www.coinop.org about it..

part of the description : "....The bizarre rumors about this game are that
it was supposedly developed by some kind of weird military tech offshoot
group, used some kind of proprietary behavior modification algorithms
developed for the CIA or something, kids who played it woke up at night
screaming, having horrible nightmares........."

There's a screenshot, and the site states that the ROM has been found. If
this DID exist, and any were found, wouldn't this be a "holy grail"..maybe
more so than I Robot or Quantum?

Really weird..
Joey
Florence, AL

joeycuda(at)hotmail.com

Craig from FL

Apr 11, 2001, 9:46:26 AM4/11/01
I find it very hard to believe that a screen shot was captured, but no other
information except some X-files-ish crap. Probably our first (?) equivalent of
an urban legend.

- Craig

John Weaver

Apr 11, 2001, 11:02:17 AM4/11/01
This was discussed about a year ago. I have no opinion on it, however it is
very common that people with databases of information readily available on
the net include a couple of bogus entries so that if someone else "creates"
their own database of arcade information, it is easy to check to see if they
"borrowed" any of your information, like all of it. I do not have any
knowledge about Polybius, but this would be my reasoning for it.

John

"Craig from FL" <hyar...@harris.com> wrote in message

ae2...@wayne.edu

Apr 11, 2001, 11:47:16 AM4/11/01
Sounds like a hoax! How did the ROMs happen to materialize out of thin
air for something so secretive? And there just happens to be a screenshot
but nothing else? come on.

Sean McLachlan

Apr 11, 2001, 12:02:55 PM4/11/01
According to the babelfish, Sinneslöschen means "sense-delete". I
asked a guy who speaks fluent german and he said the closest
translation would be "unconscious" or "amnesia", depending on context.
I'm betting that it is a bogus game.

El_Smack

On Wed, 11 Apr 2001 08:19:07 -0500, "Joey" <roadr...@acme.com>

Al Kossow

Apr 11, 2001, 12:58:51 PM4/11/01
In article <TLYA6.3066$lJ2.1...@e3500-chi1.usenetserver.com>, "Joey"
<roadr...@acme.com> wrote:

> Have you guys read about that supposed game, Polybius? There's a
> description on www.coinop.org about it..

Would someone please shoot this story in the head?

It was put there by net kook 'CYBERYOGI' who was
also responsible for an annoying April Fools prank
last year.

--
eBay: Death by a thousand cuts.

MacMan

Apr 12, 2001, 7:38:05 AM4/12/01
Joey,

A while ago there was a strange man hanging around called CyberYogurt or
something. Hippie type...

This was his X-file if you like.

There is no game. There never was no game. There never will be a game.

Sorry!

Cheers
MacMan

In article <TLYA6.3066$lJ2.1...@e3500-chi1.usenetserver.com>, "Joey"

Johnny Favorite

Apr 18, 2001, 3:16:55 AM4/18/01
Joey wrote:
> Have you guys read about that supposed game, Polybius? There's a
> description on www.coinop.org about it..

Looking at the screen-shot, whoever Photoshopped it together must have
borrowed from Williams games. The middle-sized font is the same as in
Robotron and the small font looks like one used in Joust, Defender, etc.