Words ending in gry

Lisa Marie Taylor

Sep 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/22/96

I work at a public library. We have had about 50 people call and ask for
3 words in the English language which end in -gry. Any suggestions?

Andrew DeWeerd

Sep 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/22/96

On 22 Sep 1996, Lisa Marie Taylor wrote:

> I work at a public library. We have had about 50 people call and ask for
> 3 words in the English language which end in -gry. Any suggestions?

Yes. They are angry, hungry, and hangry. The last word, although not
often used in current English, describes the person who is so hungry he
becomes angry. Tell your callers this and they probably won't call back
with any other questions.

/* ANDREW DEWEERD */
/* Andrew_W...@ccmail.orl.mmc.com */
#include <stddisclaimer.h>

Mike Naylor

Sep 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/23/96

lta...@ocean.st.usm.edu (Lisa Marie Taylor) wrote:
>I work at a public library. We have had about 50 people call and ask for
>3 words in the English language which end in -gry. Any suggestions?

I e-mailed her a copy of the rec.puzzles archive entry on "GRY", which is
over 350 lines long. That should do it!

Mike Naylor - Play 5 X 5 Poker at http://www.serve.com/games/

TheScooper

Sep 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/23/96

Yes. This is the oldest trivia question in the book.

angry
hungry
gry

Gry is an old unit of measurement, if i remember correctly. In OED.