[METW] Picky Card Questions

Trevor Stone

Mar 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/29/96
While double checking all of the pages for MECLU (Middle Earth Card LookUp)
I came accross the following (kinda) picky questions. On each page I will
have rulings on the particular cards, and I thought that these should be
included:

A Friend or Three: May be played on a 1 person company?
What if no influence being made?

Akhorahil: If, for instance, the character has a 9 body and is
wearing the Mithril-coat, does their modified body become 9 or 10?

Alatar: If he moves to a site where normally up to two cards can be
drawn, can the opponent choose to draw 0, or must he draw 1?

Anduril: May Narsil/Anduril be stored for all 7 MP's?

Ash Mountains, Mountains of Shadow: May they be used to move to
Gorgoroth if the optional movement rules are in effect? Must the
company face the strikes if they are using the Otherwise section?
Must the company have a ranger and must he be tapped if the Otherwise
section is used?

Balrog of Moria: Lorien is only changed if Galadriel is in play and
somewhere else, right? Also, does the +2 prowess to auto-attacks
apply if Galadriel is in Lorien?

Crebain: With Wake of War, etc., does each character face two strikes?

Dwar of Waw (and some other Nazgul): May he be tapped and then brought
back and played? He's Unique and his short-event lasts until the end
of the turn, so his effects would be duplicated. (Just different ones).

Favor of the Valar: If you have a hand size greater than 8, do you draw
more?

Great Shield of Rohan: Why isn't it playable in Rohan?

Greed: Does it take effect if a ring is tested? Does it take effect if
an item is transfered after a character dies from an auto-attack?

Gwaihir: Can he carry allies? Can corruptoin cards/other non-creature
hazards be played on the company?

Halfling Strength: Can this card be played at Old Forest or Rhosgobel if
there are no Hobbits in the company?

Healing Herbs: Is it considered a healing card if it is used to untap a
non-wounded character?

Lapse of Will: Does not say it can't be duplicated, is this a mistake,
or do you play 3 of this card when your opponent hits you with Khamul?
Also, does it modify the prowess of Nazgul by a total of -4.

Long Winter: Do sites untap when this card leaves play? If the company
returns to its site, is the tapped site returned to the deck, or discarded?

Lost in XXX: Should these cards say "May not be duplicated on a given
company" or can you (theoretically) play 36 hazards on a company moving
to Mount Doom?

Lucky Search: May the scout be assisted? If no non-special items are
revealed, does he still face the strike?

Morannon: Why can they move to Morannon from Dagorlad, but they have to
go through Gorgoroth, Imlad Morgul, and Ithilien to leave?

Morgul-knife/Pale Sword: May this card be duplicated on a given character?

Mouth of Sauron/Uvatha/etc.: Do you have to reveal the card to your
opponent so that you can't use Mouth of Sauron to get a resource, for
example.

Narya: May characters tap to help with his corruption check and then untap?
May the untap and then help with the check?

New Friendship: May this card be used to give plus three to an influence
check by another member of the company?

Old Road: Are influence modifications like Horn of Anor or +2 against
the XXX faction counted? What about Standard Modifications?

Orc-lieutenant/warband: Do they receive the prowess bonuses if the attack
was canceled?

Palantir of Amon-sul/Osgiliath: If the company size drops below the limit
during the movement phase, is the palantir discarded?

Pallando: Do you get to look at the cards your opponent discards if Bane
of the Ithil-stone is in play? What is the extent of his ability? Can
you look through your opponent's face up discard pile? Can your opponent
discard several cards at a time and only show you the top? What about
multi-player?

Praise to Elbereth: Can you cancel the effects of Dwar of Waw if this
card is not played in response to tapping him?

Ringlore: What is the exact text of this card? I couldn't figure it out
from the errata.

Secret Entrance: May it be played on a company that stays at a site in a
dark-hold, but does not move?

Secret Passage: May the opponent play non-creature hazards?

Skinbark, Leaflock, Treebeard: Should say Redhorn Gate rather than Redhorn
Gap. Does "his site" refer to Wellinghall?

Smaug (picky point): Should say "chooses defending characters" rather
than "character."

The Great Goblin: May be played on a company moving from Rivendell to
Lorien through Redhorn Gate, right?

The One Ring: What is the ruling on the +1 corruption to every one in
the company? Does the bearer get a total of 7 corruption?

Pale Sword and Morgul-knife: The texts differ. If you read them
currently, a character with the Pale Sword may heal, a character
with Morgul-knife may not. Is this intentional?

The White Tree: What is the exact ruling on it? Can you play it if
your opponent has a Sapling, but you don't? Can you play it if the
Sapling is not stored, but present? If you have several stored, are
all of them discarded?

The Will of Sauron: Why does it say it can't be duplicated?

Traitor: This attack can be canceled, right?

Weariness of the Heart: Can it be used to force a corruption check
twice on a given character?

Wizard's Ring: Does the Wizard get the corruption points before or after
the check?

Everyone is welcome to contribute, but I would like The Word From ICE, as
these rulings will go up on the cards themselves. (Well, the pages of the
cards, anyway.)
--
Trevor Stone tst...@bvsd.k12.co.us tst...@nyx.nyx.net
Check Out My Homepage At http://bvsd.k12.co.us/~tstone for:

C. William Toraason

Mar 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/31/96
Excerpts from netnews.rec.games.trading-cards.misc: 29-Mar-96 [METW]
Picky Card Questions by Trevor St...@nyx10.cs.du
> Great Shield of Rohan: Why isn't it playable in Rohan?

This reminds me of a question I had along similiar lines. Why can't
the Barrow-wight be played at the barrow downs?!
Will Toraason

Raistlin Wakefield

Apr 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/2/96
"C. William Toraason" <tora...@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:

>Excerpts from netnews.rec.games.trading-cards.misc: 29-Mar-96 [METW]
>Picky Card Questions by Trevor St...@nyx10.cs.du

>> Great Shield of Rohan: Why isn't it playable in Rohan?

> This reminds me of a question I had along similiar lines. Why can't

>the Barrow-wight be played at the barrow downs?!
> Will Toraason

And why is Mount Doom, at the very heart of Mordor and completely
surrounded by evil on all sides, only a Shadow-hold?!? Without
additional cards, you can't play Nazgul there.

Raist

Michael Tjeertes

Apr 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/3/96
rai...@gate.net (Raistlin Wakefield) wrote:

>And why is Mount Doom, at the very heart of Mordor and completely
>surrounded by evil on all sides, only a Shadow-hold?!? Without
>additional cards, you can't play Nazgul there.

>Raist

on the card is writen : Any company moving to mount doom has its
hazard limit modified by +2 and hazard creatures may always be played
keyed to the site regardless of any other cards played.

I allways thought that it meant that you could use al kinds of
hazardcards at the mount Doom site from forest to darkhold but maybe
i was wrong?
So if someone visited mount doom i could play my nazgul :)))

mikel

Philip R. Auld

Apr 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/3/96

> And why is Mount Doom, at the very heart of Mordor and completely
> surrounded by evil on all sides, only a Shadow-hold?!? Without
> additional cards, you can't play Nazgul there.

But Doesn't it say that any hazard creature can be keyed to it? I might
be mistaken but I'm pretty sure it says something like that in the game text.

Phil

Philip Auld
Dept. of Computer Science
College of William and Mary
pra...@cs.wm.edu

David Lin

Apr 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/3/96
In article <4ju91o$k...@tick.cs.wm.edu>,

Mount Doom specifically says "Any company moving to Mount Doom has its hazard

limit modified by +2 and hazard creatures may always be played keyed to the

site regardless of any other cards played." (limited version)

Now to me this could mean two things-
1) Hazard creatures that could normally be played there (i.e. a Shadow-hold)
may be played keyed regardless of other cards played (such as Secret
Entrance). Therefore Nazgul cannot be played there unless some sort of
modifier is there (i.e. Nazgul are Abroad)

or

2) All hazard creatures maybe played keyed there regardless of other cards.
Unmodified Nazgul could be played there.

I personally buy #2 because that would seem more thematically sensical to me.

The debate rages on...

Dave

Jerker Andersson

Apr 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/3/96
In article <4jubk2$r...@news.acns.nwu.edu>, dav...@merle.acns.nwu.edu
(David Lin) wrote:

> In article <4ju91o$k...@tick.cs.wm.edu>,
> Philip R. Auld <pra...@cs.wm.edu> wrote:

<snip>

> Mount Doom specifically says "Any company moving to Mount Doom has its hazard
> limit modified by +2 and hazard creatures may always be played keyed to the
> site regardless of any other cards played." (limited version)
>
> Now to me this could mean two things-
> 1) Hazard creatures that could normally be played there (i.e. a Shadow-hold)
> may be played keyed regardless of other cards played (such as Secret
> Entrance). Therefore Nazgul cannot be played there unless some sort of
> modifier is there (i.e. Nazgul are Abroad)
>
> or
>
> 2) All hazard creatures maybe played keyed there regardless of other cards.
> Unmodified Nazgul could be played there.
>
> I personally buy #2 because that would seem more thematically sensical to me.

Of course it's #1, meaning "you can run but you can't hide".

The text cannot be streatched to break the fundamental rule of keying
creatures to site and region type. It does not say "any hazard creature"
nor does it say "regardless of if the site symbol or region symbol match".

I would be mighty suprised, if pickpockets and Huorns, Corsairs of Umbar
and Abductor suddenly started to converge on Mount Doom like it's another
revival of Woodstock.

If #2 were the intention of the designers they would have made it very
clear that you can bring any, really *any*, creature up on that mountain.

The guy that succefully argues #2 should have been scriptwriter for LA Law. 8-B

Regards, jerk

--
Jerker Andersson, SISU

Paul Holmes Masters

Apr 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/4/96
C. William Toraason wrote:

> Excerpts from netnews.rec.games.trading-cards.misc: 29-Mar-96 [METW]
> Picky Card Questions by Trevor St...@nyx10.cs.du
> > Great Shield of Rohan: Why isn't it playable in Rohan?
>
> This reminds me of a question I had along similiar lines. Why can't
> the Barrow-wight be played at the barrow downs?!
> Will Toraason

'Cause it was lost in a great war away from Rohan. :)

Paul

Trevor Stone

Apr 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/4/96
In article <3163E3...@lawgate.byu.edu>,

Paul Holmes Masters <mast...@lawgate.byu.edu> wrote:
>C. William Toraason wrote:
>>
>> Excerpts from netnews.rec.games.trading-cards.misc: 29-Mar-96 [METW]
>> Picky Card Questions by Trevor St...@nyx10.cs.du
>> > Great Shield of Rohan: Why isn't it playable in Rohan?
>>
>> This reminds me of a question I had along similiar lines. Why can't
>> the Barrow-wight be played at the barrow downs?!
>> Will Toraason
>
>'Cause it was lost in a great war away from Rohan. :)
>
>Paul

And the red arrow was lost too? They must have once played it in Rohan, even
if they did lose it...

Raistlin Wakefield

Apr 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/5/96
je...@sisu.se (Jerker Andersson) wrote:

>In article <4jubk2$r...@news.acns.nwu.edu>, dav...@merle.acns.nwu.edu
>(David Lin) wrote:

>> In article <4ju91o$k...@tick.cs.wm.edu>,
>> Philip R. Auld <pra...@cs.wm.edu> wrote:

>> Mount Doom specifically says "Any company moving to Mount Doom has its hazard
>> limit modified by +2 and hazard creatures may always be played keyed to the
>> site regardless of any other cards played." (limited version)
>>
>> Now to me this could mean two things-
>> 1) Hazard creatures that could normally be played there (i.e. a Shadow-hold)
>> may be played keyed regardless of other cards played (such as Secret
>> Entrance). Therefore Nazgul cannot be played there unless some sort of
>> modifier is there (i.e. Nazgul are Abroad)
>>
>> or
>>
>> 2) All hazard creatures maybe played keyed there regardless of other cards.
>> Unmodified Nazgul could be played there.
>>
>> I personally buy #2 because that would seem more thematically sensical to me.

>Of course it's #1, meaning "you can run but you can't hide".

>The text cannot be streatched to break the fundamental rule of keying
>creatures to site and region type. It does not say "any hazard creature"
>nor does it say "regardless of if the site symbol or region symbol match".

>If #2 were the intention of the designers they would have made it very

>clear that you can bring any, really *any*, creature up on that mountain.

The first turn you move to Mount Doom, you can indeed play Nazgul,
since you have to pass through the Dark-domain of Gorgoroth to get
there (or use the Mount Doom site path with the Dark-domain in it).

But most of the One Ring decks I've seen (that is, the ones that
actually destroy the Ring before my horde of Fell Beast-riding Nazgul
Abroad turn them into lasagne) wait until getting to Mount Doom to
test the Ring. (And I've never once seen three Precious Gold Rings
with Wizard's Test and Izzy's Scroll fail to produce the One.)

That's several turns spent wool-gathering at the Mountain, and it'd be
*nice* to duplicate the situation in the book -- where the Ringbearer
was stuck on the Mountain with all eight surviving Nazgul making a
beeline for Mount Doom.

Raist

Jerker Andersson

Apr 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/5/96
In article <4k1p0d$r...@nyx10.cs.du.edu>, tst...@nyx10.cs.du.edu (Trevor
Stone) wrote:

> In article <3163E3...@lawgate.byu.edu>,
> Paul Holmes Masters <mast...@lawgate.byu.edu> wrote:
> >C. William Toraason wrote:
> >>
> >> Excerpts from netnews.rec.games.trading-cards.misc: 29-Mar-96 [METW]
> >> Picky Card Questions by Trevor St...@nyx10.cs.du

> >> This reminds me of a question I had along similiar lines. Why can't
> >> the Barrow-wight be played at the barrow downs?!
> >> Will Toraason
> >
> >'Cause it was lost in a great war away from Rohan. :)
> >
> >Paul
>
> And the red arrow was lost too? They must have once played it in Rohan, even
> if they did lose it...

Aren't those Rohan folks a bit to distraught,
dropping their things all over? 8-B

--
Jerker Andersson, SISU

Jack Dracula

Apr 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/5/96
Jerker Andersson <je...@sisu.se> wrote:

>I would be mighty suprised, if pickpockets and Huorns, Corsairs of Umbar
>and Abductor suddenly started to converge on Mount Doom like it's another
>revival of Woodstock.

Ladies and gentlemen, the quote of the week.
Jack Dracula
needs a hobby

C. William Toraason

Apr 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/5/96
Excerpts from netnews.rec.games.trading-cards.misc: 5-Apr-96 Re: [METW]
Picky Card Quest.. by Raistlin Wakefield@gate.
> The first turn you move to Mount Doom, you can indeed play Nazgul,
> since you have to pass through the Dark-domain of Gorgoroth to get
> there (or use the Mount Doom site path with the Dark-domain in it).

Every turn you are in Mount Doom Nazgul can be played no matter
what, they can all be keyed to Gorgoroth and sites in Gorgoroth.
Will Toraason

Raistlin Wakefield

Apr 7, 1996, 4:00:00 AM4/7/96
"C. William Toraason" <tora...@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:

**** BLUSH ****

(Oh, that's right ... nearly all the bad hazards say that, don't they
.. eh, heh heh ...)

Matter of fact, looking at my creatures, I can't find any except the
Nazgul that only work at Dark-Domains. Everything else nasty --
Pukel-Men, Barrow-wight, and so far -- all work at either Shadow-holds
OR Dark-domains.

<sigh>

Raist

C. William Toraason

Apr 7, 1996, 4:00:00 AM4/7/96
Excerpts from netnews.rec.games.trading-cards.misc: 7-Apr-96 Re: [METW]

Picky Card Quest.. by Raistlin Wakefield@gate.
> Matter of fact, looking at my creatures, I can't find any except the
> Nazgul that only work at Dark-Domains. Everything else nasty --
> Pukel-Men, Barrow-wight, and so far -- all work at either Shadow-holds
> OR Dark-domains.

Of course, you could always play the Mouth of Sauron as a Creature <g>!
Will Toraason

Andreas Erben

Apr 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/9/96
>Alatar: If he moves to a site where normally up to two cards can be
>drawn, can the opponent choose to draw 0, or must he draw 1?
Can choose.

>Crebain: With Wake of War, etc., does each character face two strikes?

No... only one additional strike for the whole party.

>Dwar of Waw (and some other Nazgul): May he be tapped and then brought
>back and played? He's Unique and his short-event lasts until the end
>of the turn, so his effects would be duplicated. (Just different ones).

Short-Event effects USUALLY last until the end of the turn... this
short-event effect is implemented immediately I think.

>Favor of the Valar: If you have a hand size greater than 8, do you draw
>more?

No, favor of valar lets you draw EXACTLY 8 cards.

>Great Shield of Rohan: Why isn't it playable in Rohan?

*shrug*

>Halfling Strength: Can this card be played at Old Forest or Rhosgobel if
>there are no Hobbits in the company?

Nope.

>Healing Herbs: Is it considered a healing card if it is used to untap a
>non-wounded character?

I think: yes.

>Long Winter: Do sites untap when this card leaves play? If the company
>returns to its site, is the tapped site returned to the deck, or discarded?

Play follows normal rules -> tapped sites stay tapped... and are
discarded then...

>Lost in XXX: Should these cards say "May not be duplicated on a given
>company" or can you (theoretically) play 36 hazards on a company moving
>to Mount Doom?

Errr... if you have enough cards in hand, yes...
(why only 36?... depends on the region types on the site path... if
they are changed appropriatly?)

>Lucky Search: May the scout be assisted? If no non-special items are
>revealed, does he still face the strike?

Yep, he faces the strike... and I think yes, he may be assisted... but
faces the strike -> like at burglaring I think.

>Morgul-knife/Pale Sword: May this card be duplicated on a given character?

They are corruption cards... so they cannot be duplicated at the same
turn at least...

>Mouth of Sauron/Uvatha/etc.: Do you have to reveal the card to your
>opponent so that you can't use Mouth of Sauron to get a resource, for
>example.

Hmmmm... revealing would suck... perhaps trusting is asked here?

>Narya: May characters tap to help with his corruption check and then untap?
>May the untap and then help with the check?

I think the effects take effect first... and then the corruption check
has to be done...

>Pallando: Do you get to look at the cards your opponent discards if Bane
>of the Ithil-stone is in play? What is the extent of his ability? Can
>you look through your opponent's face up discard pile? Can your opponent
>discard several cards at a time and only show you the top? What about
>multi-player?

a) Yes.
b) Nope
c) The opponent has to give you the chance to see the cards he/she
discards... so if he/she is doing it too fast... slap him in the face
and complain nicely to her... :P
d) Affects all players.

>Skinbark, Leaflock, Treebeard: Should say Redhorn Gate rather than Redhorn
>Gap. Does "his site" refer to Wellinghall?

His site means: The site the ally is currently at.

>The White Tree: What is the exact ruling on it? Can you play it if
>your opponent has a Sapling, but you don't? Can you play it if the
>Sapling is not stored, but present? If you have several stored, are
>all of them discarded?

You have to have the sapling being available yourself.
Only one sapling is discarded.

>The Will of Sauron: Why does it say it can't be duplicated?

Because even Sauron needs a break in concentrating on his will? :P

Cheers,
Andy.

Christopher R Regan

Apr 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/10/96

>>Lost in XXX: Should these cards say "May not be duplicated on a given
>>company" or can you (theoretically) play 36 hazards on a company
moving
>>to Mount Doom?
>Errr... if you have enough cards in hand, yes...

I'm not aware that anyone can have a harazrd limit of 36? Please
clarify.

Trevor Stone

Apr 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/10/96
In article <4kh20d$p...@dfw-ixnews4.ix.netcom.com>,

Christopher R Regan <sta...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>>>Lost in XXX: Should these cards say "May not be duplicated on a given
>>>company" or can you (theoretically) play 36 hazards on a company
>moving
>>>to Mount Doom?
>>Errr... if you have enough cards in hand, yes...
>

>I'm not aware that anyone can have a harazrd limit of 36? Please
>clarify.

Well, I thought "Hmm. 3 lost in dark domains. 9 X 2 X 2 X 2" whoops, did my
math wrong. Okay, with 3 cards you could theoretically play 72 hazards on
a company moving to Mount Doom (ask Anglacon how...)

For a more realistic view: If a company has a haz. limit of 3 and move through
2 border-lands, can you play 2 lost in b-l and bump the limit to 7?

I.E. should they be not duplicatable?

Scott Frazer

Apr 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/11/96
tst...@nyx10.cs.du.edu (Trevor Stone) wrote:

>While double checking all of the pages for MECLU (Middle Earth Card LookUp)
>I came accross the following (kinda) picky questions. On each page I will
>have rulings on the particular cards, and I thought that these should be
>included:
>
>A Friend or Three: May be played on a 1 person company?
>What if no influence being made?

Yes, it only give +1 though...
It only modifies the check, not the influence, so you must have a check
being made.

>Akhorahil: If, for instance, the character has a 9 body and is
>wearing the Mithril-coat, does their modified body become 9 or 10?

Effects are applied after items, so the result would be 9

>Alatar: If he moves to a site where normally up to two cards can be
>drawn, can the opponent choose to draw 0, or must he draw 1?

must draw one

>Anduril: May Narsil/Anduril be stored for all 7 MP's?

I don't see why not...

>Ash Mountains, Mountains of Shadow: May they be used to move to
>Gorgoroth if the optional movement rules are in effect?

Kind of a house rule, but I'd say you can use the cards, but you must still
start from a required region...

>Must the
>company face the strikes if they are using the Otherwise section?
>Must the company have a ranger and must he be tapped if the Otherwise
>section is used?

No.

>Balrog of Moria: Lorien is only changed if Galadriel is in play and
>somewhere else, right?

Right

>Also, does the +2 prowess to auto-attacks
>apply if Galadriel is in Lorien?

The +2 section is linked to Lorien changing...

>Crebain: With Wake of War, etc., does each character face two strikes?

No. The Companion has a note about this somewhere, as does the FAQ, I
think...

>Dwar of Waw (and some other Nazgul): May he be tapped and then brought
>back and played? He's Unique and his short-event lasts until the end
>of the turn, so his effects would be duplicated. (Just different ones).

The short event doesn't stay around, just the effect... there's no problem
with morgul horsing him and playing him and tapping him again...

>Favor of the Valar: If you have a hand size greater than 8, do you draw
>more?

No... draw only 8

>Great Shield of Rohan: Why isn't it playable in Rohan?

Beats me. :)

>Greed: Does it take effect if a ring is tested?

Yes, an item was played at the site.

>Does it take effect if
>an item is transfered after a character dies from an auto-attack?

No, a new item card must enter play to trigger it. Note that the wording is
different that Lure of Expedience...

>Gwaihir: Can he carry allies? Can corruptoin cards/other non-creature
>hazards be played on the company?

Allies do not count toward company size, and Hobbits count only half (round
up)

Yes.

>Halfling Strength: Can this card be played at Old Forest or Rhosgobel if
>there are no Hobbits in the company?

No.

>Healing Herbs: Is it considered a healing card if it is used to untap a
>non-wounded character?

No.

>Lapse of Will: Does not say it can't be duplicated, is this a mistake,
>or do you play 3 of this card when your opponent hits you with Khamul?
>Also, does it modify the prowess of Nazgul by a total of -4.

Play it as written, as I've heard nothing to the contrary. It only
modifies nazgul by -3. Note that it's a Long Event, and so must be played
before the company starts moving!

>Long Winter: Do sites untap when this card leaves play? If the company
>returns to its site, is the tapped site returned to the deck, or discarded?

Sites do not untap unless another card says so...
Tapped sites are not discarded until the company reaches it's destination.

>Lost in XXX: Should these cards say "May not be duplicated on a given
>company" or can you (theoretically) play 36 hazards on a company moving
>to Mount Doom?

By the time you've gotten it that high, you've got about 9 cards left in
your hand... go for it :)

>Lucky Search: May the scout be assisted? If no non-special items are
>revealed, does he still face the strike?

Scout can be assisted, as it's a normal strike...
the strike will be taken regardless... ("In either case...")

>Morannon: Why can they move to Morannon from Dagorlad, but they have to
>go through Gorgoroth, Imlad Morgul, and Ithilien to leave?

Beats me... I hate that card :)

>Morgul-knife/Pale Sword: May this card be duplicated on a given character?

The pale sword is unique, so you'll have a hard time getting two of them
out, legally :)

The morgul knife's only restriction is duplication on a nazgul, not on a
character...

>Mouth of Sauron/Uvatha/etc.: Do you have to reveal the card to your
>opponent so that you can't use Mouth of Sauron to get a resource, for
>example.

Yes.

>Narya: May characters tap to help with his corruption check and then untap?
>May the untap and then help with the check?

Remember that multiple effects happen in the order they are printed on the
card... in this case, everyone untaps, and anyone who wants to can aid the
check...

>New Friendship: May this card be used to give plus three to an influence
>check by another member of the company?

Yes. The diplomat does not need to be making the check, he or she just
needs to be around when it's made...

>Old Road: Are influence modifications like Horn of Anor or +2 against
>the XXX faction counted? What about Standard Modifications?

Standard modifications are counted, but cards like the Horn say +2 direct
influence and are therefor not counted.

>Orc-lieutenant/warband: Do they receive the prowess bonuses if the attack
>was canceled?

Yes.

>Palantir of Amon-sul/Osgiliath: If the company size drops below the limit
>during the movement phase, is the palantir discarded?

Yes. (painful, no?)

>Pallando: Do you get to look at the cards your opponent discards if Bane
>of the Ithil-stone is in play?

Pallando only makes the opponent discard face up, this doesn't get affected
by the bane.

> What is the extent of his ability? Can
>you look through your opponent's face up discard pile?

No, but you can require him to discard each one at a time, slowly enough
that you can read the cards :)

>Can your opponent
>discard several cards at a time and only show you the top? What about
>multi-player?

In multi-player we've ruled that anyone dicarding must show pallando the
discards before tossing them. This quickly overwhelms that player and they
ask us to stop :)

>Praise to Elbereth: Can you cancel the effects of Dwar of Waw if this
>card is not played in response to tapping him?

No, the event doesn't stick around, just the effect.

Quick note on Praise for those who haven't figured it out yet...
Organization Phase, Site phase, never in the movement phase (unless you're
being attacked, or course :)

>Ringlore: What is the exact text of this card? I couldn't figure it out
>from the errata.

Something like:
"Sage only, playable only during the site phase at a site where information
is playable, and only if a character in his company has a Gold Ring. Play
to test a Gold Ring. No roll (or draw) is used. the player may replace
the Gold Ring with any ring from his hand (except for The One Ring). Tap
the sage and the site."

>Secret Entrance: May it be played on a company that stays at a site in a
>dark-hold, but does not move?

Yes.

>Secret Passage: May the opponent play non-creature hazards?

Yes.

>Skinbark, Leaflock, Treebeard: Should say Redhorn Gate rather than Redhorn
>Gap. Does "his site" refer to Wellinghall?

No. His site refers to where he is now.

>Smaug (picky point): Should say "chooses defending characters" rather
>than "character."

True.

>The Great Goblin: May be played on a company moving from Rivendell to
>Lorien through Redhorn Gate, right?

From one to the other regardless of path, yes.

>The One Ring: What is the ruling on the +1 corruption to every one in
>the company? Does the bearer get a total of 7 corruption?

Yes. Those of us who overlooked that should be smacked in the head.

*smack*

>Pale Sword and Morgul-knife: The texts differ. If you read them
>currently, a character with the Pale Sword may heal, a character
>with Morgul-knife may not. Is this intentional?

Yes. Note that the attempt for either of them _cannot_ be made during the
organization phase (which is when most corruption cards are removed)

>The White Tree: What is the exact ruling on it? Can you play it if
>your opponent has a Sapling, but you don't?

No.

>Can you play it if the
>Sapling is not stored, but present?

Yes, since the sapling is discarded anyway it doesn't really matter (well,
except for the corruption check...)

>If you have several stored, are
>all of them discarded?

No.

>The Will of Sauron: Why does it say it can't be duplicated?

Beats me... might be a tad more powerful if you could duplicate it...

I get the feeling that if it _didn't_ say that, we'd have three or four
degenerate strategies built around that change in a month :)

>Traitor: This attack can be canceled, right?

Yes.

>Weariness of the Heart: Can it be used to force a corruption check
>twice on a given character?

Yes. (The effect doesn't stick around)

>Wizard's Ring: Does the Wizard get the corruption points before or after
>the check?

Before...

>Everyone is welcome to contribute, but I would like The Word From ICE, as
>these rulings will go up on the cards themselves. (Well, the pages of the
>cards, anyway.)

Did anyone else make it through all that? :)

Trevor, you should send that to ICE and ask for a job as a playtester...

Those are all excellent questions...

>--
>Trevor Stone tst...@bvsd.k12.co.us tst...@nyx.nyx.net
>Check Out My Homepage At http://bvsd.k12.co.us/~tstone for:
>Contests, M:tG, Middle Earth interactive labyrinth game, and much more!!!
>"I hitched the length and breadth of cyberspace and I know where my towel is!"

| "There were thousands of them, and they squeaked all around, |
| neek-breek, breek-neek, unceasingly all the night, until the |
| Hobbits were nearly frantic." - LotR (c)1995 T.E. |
| Scott Frazer (Quote for Neeker-breekers) |
| Middle Earth: The Wizards NetRep (but I don't work for them) |
| My Email: sfr...@comet.net ICE Email: MET...@aol.com |

Scott Frazer

Apr 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/11/96
"C. William Toraason" <tora...@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:

>Excerpts from netnews.rec.games.trading-cards.misc: 29-Mar-96 [METW]
>Picky Card Questions by Trevor St...@nyx10.cs.du

>> Great Shield of Rohan: Why isn't it playable in Rohan?
>

> This reminds me of a question I had along similiar lines. Why can't
>the Barrow-wight be played at the barrow downs?!

There will be a card in Dragons that allows it...

But I have no idea...

> Will Toraason

Scott Frazer

Apr 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/11/96
dav...@merle.acns.nwu.edu (David Lin) wrote:

>In article <4ju91o$k...@tick.cs.wm.edu>,
>Philip R. Auld <pra...@cs.wm.edu> wrote:
>>

>>> And why is Mount Doom, at the very heart of Mordor and completely
>>> surrounded by evil on all sides, only a Shadow-hold?!? Without
>>> additional cards, you can't play Nazgul there.
>>>
>> But Doesn't it say that any hazard creature can be keyed to it? I might
>>be mistaken but I'm pretty sure it says something like that in the game text.
>>
>>Phil
>>
>>--
>>------------------------------------------------
>>Philip Auld
>>Dept. of Computer Science
>>College of William and Mary
>>pra...@cs.wm.edu
>>------------------------------------------------
>

>Mount Doom specifically says "Any company moving to Mount Doom has its hazard
>limit modified by +2 and hazard creatures may always be played keyed to the
>site regardless of any other cards played." (limited version)
>
>Now to me this could mean two things-
>1) Hazard creatures that could normally be played there (i.e. a Shadow-hold)
>may be played keyed regardless of other cards played (such as Secret
>Entrance). Therefore Nazgul cannot be played there unless some sort of
>modifier is there (i.e. Nazgul are Abroad)
>
>or
>
>2) All hazard creatures maybe played keyed there regardless of other cards.
>Unmodified Nazgul could be played there.
>
>I personally buy #2 because that would seem more thematically sensical to me.
>

>The debate rages on...

End it... #1 is the correct answer :)

>Dave

David Lin

Apr 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/12/96

I just wanted to make an errata on my comment. In scenario #1, un-modified
Nazgul can attack at Mount Doom cause all Nazguls state on their cards that
they may be keyed to all sites in Gorgoroth. It all becomes clearer now! :)

Dave
dav...@merle.acns.nwu.edu

Thomas van Gulick

Apr 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/12/96
>>Can you play it if the Sapling is not stored, but present?
>
>Yes, since the sapling is discarded anyway it doesn't really matter (well,
>except for the corruption check...)

Well, it's cost an entire turn to store the damned thing, so storing or not
storing would indeed matter a helluvalot!

>Trevor, you should send that to ICE and ask for a job as a playtester...

>Those are all excellent questions...

No, he's just asking stupid questions (hey! no offence, he's a nice guy:)

Thomas
--
METW, Amiga, Programming, NL and more on: http://www.cybercomm.nl/~tvg/

Andreas Erben

Apr 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/13/96
vam...@wam.umd.edu (Jack Dracula) wrote:

>Jerker Andersson <je...@sisu.se> wrote:

>>I would be mighty suprised, if pickpockets and Huorns, Corsairs of Umbar
>>and Abductor suddenly started to converge on Mount Doom like it's another
>>revival of Woodstock.

Uhahahhahhhhhhhhhhhh....
DON'T FORGET FELL TURTLE!!!!!

hahhahaha
cheers,
Andy.

Andreas Erben

Apr 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/21/96
sta...@ix.netcom.com(Christopher R Regan ) wrote:

>>>Lost in XXX: Should these cards say "May not be duplicated on a given
>>>company" or can you (theoretically) play 36 hazards on a company
>moving
>>>to Mount Doom?

>>Errr... if you have enough cards in hand, yes...
>I'm not aware that anyone can have a harazrd limit of 36? Please
>clarify.

Cards like LOST IN DARK DOMAINS or LOST IN WILDERNESS increase the
hazard limit... theoretically you can duplicate these effects and get
to really high hazard limits...
Cheers,
Andy.