[MECCG] Additional puzzlers.

Robert Kirk

Feb 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/19/99
I've always interpreted the Dwarven Rings, when used for their ability
(Durin's to untap a site, for example), to have the "corruption check at
+2" to mean that the roll is made by the dwarf at 5 corruption (given by
the ring), 2d6 roll made, and if (again for example) a 4 result is rolled,
the check gets +2... resulting in a 6, and a safe dwarf. Is this correct?
Or is it, 5+2 corruption?

Since things like unFallen Gandalf/Radagast and Fellowship provide +1, I'm
basing my assumption on the fact the using the Dwarven Rings for what they
were actually made for is less likely to corrupt you than is using them to
go around abusing poor little defenseless critters. :)

While we're talking about Dwarven Rings... Several of them say that you
can search for either a Major or Greater item, and then play it immediately
or else discard it. Now, here's The Mouth leading his party into Dale with
his Necklace of Girion, that he wants to swap for a Torque of Hues/Durin's
Axe/Bow of the Galadhrim (to keep that pesky Hero over there from playing
them). But I'm only holding the Torque and Bow... Can I build an event
stack to be resolved of:
1) Discard the necklace to allow me to play up to 3 major items
2) tap my dwarf bearer of Dwarven Ring of Dwalin's Tribe to go looking for
Durin's Axe
Begin resolving the effect stack in reverse order and
3) Play the Axe; play the Torque; play the Bow

Another question involving Girion's Necklace: Since the minion version does
not indicate that the site taps, can a Fallen Wizard player use either Hero
OR Minion major/minor items with the (minion) Necklace? My understanding
of the Fallen Wizard play of resources at a site indicates that only if it
taps the site need you worry about matching hero resource/hero site (or
minion resource/minion site).

The limitation on "one skill card" is per strike sequence, correct?
There's nothing to prevent me from using a Warrior-only Risky Blow, and
then turning around and later using a Muster?

Three Golden Hairs need not be played by a character in the same company as
Galadriel... just at the same site, right? Nearly as I can tell, this is
a great way to make use of my opponent's Galadriel for clearing corruption
off of one of my characters.

Will Fallen Gandalf's use of "Give Welcome to the Unexpected" let him get 2
points (rather than the normal 1) out of, for example: Bill the Pony,
Goldberry, Roac the Raven, Hobbits (faction), Choice of Luthien, Lindion
the Oronin...?? Essentially creating points out of thin air, rather than
using the normal stage resources which give full "normal" points for
items/kill points/et cetera.

I'm sure more will occur to me; I've been re-reading the card texts
recently, and combos are whistling through my head. :)

Robert

Mark Jones

Feb 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/22/99
Me again, with more answers which might by sheer luck be accurate.

Robert Kirk wrote:

> I've always interpreted the Dwarven Rings, when used for their ability
> (Durin's to untap a site, for example), to have the "corruption check at
> +2" to mean that the roll is made by the dwarf at 5 corruption (given by
> the ring), 2d6 roll made, and if (again for example) a 4 result is rolled,
> the check gets +2... resulting in a 6, and a safe dwarf. Is this correct?
> Or is it, 5+2 corruption?

If the modification is "to the check" it meand add it to the roll. Thus
it's effectively less corruption when used for it spurpose.

> While we're talking about Dwarven Rings... Several of them say that you
> can search for either a Major or Greater item, and then play it immediately
> or else discard it. Now, here's The Mouth leading his party into Dale with
> his Necklace of Girion, that he wants to swap for a Torque of Hues/Durin's
> Axe/Bow of the Galadhrim (to keep that pesky Hero over there from playing
> them). But I'm only holding the Torque and Bow... Can I build an event
> stack to be resolved of:
> 1) Discard the necklace to allow me to play up to 3 major items
> 2) tap my dwarf bearer of Dwarven Ring of Dwalin's Tribe to go looking for
> Durin's Axe
> Begin resolving the effect stack in reverse order and
> 3) Play the Axe; play the Torque; play the Bow

Dunno. That's an interesting and odd question. Hmm.. the neckless says
you "play" the three items...the ring requires you to "play" the item...
assuming Dale allows you to play Major items (so you can search for it
in the first place, I don't remember and again, ICE's spoilers aren't
complete) I would hazard to say that is somehow legal.

> Another question involving Girion's Necklace: Since the minion version does
> not indicate that the site taps, can a Fallen Wizard player use either Hero
> OR Minion major/minor items with the (minion) Necklace? My understanding
> of the Fallen Wizard play of resources at a site indicates that only if it
> taps the site need you worry about matching hero resource/hero site (or
> minion resource/minion site).

I don't off hand remember. But you can't play Snaga-Hai at an already
tapped Hero Moria, either. I guess the question is whether they're
playing the items "at the site". On a guess, I'd say that have to get
whatever alignment of the site they're at...and that's assuming the
Necklace will even let them get Hero items in the first place...

> The limitation on "one skill card" is per strike sequence, correct?
> There's nothing to prevent me from using a Warrior-only Risky Blow, and
> then turning around and later using a Muster?

Correct.

> Three Golden Hairs need not be played by a character in the same company as
> Galadriel... just at the same site, right? Nearly as I can tell, this is
> a great way to make use of my opponent's Galadriel for clearing corruption
> off of one of my characters.

If the card says "playable <blahblahblah> at the same site as
Galadriel", then yes. That works. You just kinda sneak up behind her
and <pluck>.

> Will Fallen Gandalf's use of "Give Welcome to the Unexpected" let him get 2
> points (rather than the normal 1) out of, for example: Bill the Pony,
> Goldberry, Roac the Raven, Hobbits (faction), Choice of Luthien, Lindion
> the Oronin...?? Essentially creating points out of thin air, rather than
> using the normal stage resources which give full "normal" points for
> items/kill points/et cetera.

Yup. Nifty, ay?

> I'm sure more will occur to me; I've been re-reading the card texts
> recently, and combos are whistling through my head. :)

Well, eventually maybe someone other than me (who actually knows Hero
stuff) will actually answer you.

Van Norton

Feb 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/22/99
Robert Kirk wrote:

> "Crept Along Carefully" (hero) and "Going Ever Under Dark" (minion) both
> seem to do essentially the same thing... bug GEUD cannot be duplicated on
> a given company, and CAC apparently can be. Is this correct? If so, is it
> intentional? Do I interpret these cards to BOTH be usable by a Fallen
> Wizard player? If CAC can be duplicated on a given company, and they can
> both be used by FW, does this mean that my company of 5 may well have a
> hazard limit of only 2 (2xCAC + 1xGEUD)?

Yes, it is correct. I don't know if it is intentional. Yes, both can be
used by a Fallen Wizard. The hazard limit sounds right to me.

> "Rumours of Rings" (hero) and "Whispers of Rings" (minion) also both seem
> to do essentially the same thing as each other; is my interpretation of the
> "off to the side" rules correct that if I put my Dwarven Ring of Durin's
> Tribe with either of the above cards, EVEN IF I _NEVER_ PLAY IT, my
> opponent cannot? (Cards which are "off to the side" are considered in play
> for uniqueness.) And there aren't that many ways of removing
> non-environment resource permanent-events...

Both correct.

> Fallen Wizards say that they use the Ringwraith rules for dealing with
> agents; this seems to me to mean that agents count as characters for the
> 10-per-deck limit, and may not actually be used AS agents for a hazard
> portion. Am I correct here?

They count as character but can still be used as agent hazards. Once
played
as either a character or hazard, they cannot switch roles.

> Next, I've seen several decks built/listed on the web that use a Thrall of
> the Voice to control a 6-mind person in the starting company (I was
> tinkering with an Alatar deck that used Squire of the Hunt on an enThralled
> Celeborn to make him a 7/10), but Fallen Wizards aren't permitted to use
> 6-mind persons in their decks. Is their use in the starting company OK,
> but forbidden in the deck? Sideboard? What about agents with 6 mind?

Thrall specifically allows you to have a six mind character in the
starting company. They are still forbidden in the deck even as agent
hazards.

> The various Mountain cards (White Mountains, Ash Mountains, et cetera) and
> their corresponding minion equivalents (such-and-so Mountain Deeps,
> usually) have two possible uses. The first (on the Hero resources, anyhow)
> says to tap a ranger to consider regions adjacent; the second "alternative"
> use merely says to reduce the hazard limit by two (to a minimum of two).
> Does this reducing of the hazard limit require the tapping of a Ranger?

You only have to tap the ranger for the first effect.

> Again with these Mountain cards... If I have a party that is moving to
> Mount Doom (in Gorgoroth), despite the fact that both Ash Mountains and
> Mountains of Shadow say that they cannot be duplicated... can I use one of
> each, and reduce the hazard limit by a total of 4?

yes.

> Gorgoroth movement. What I've been able to find says that you must
> (paraphrasing) move through Udun, move through Nurn, or move from a site in
> Imlad Morgul. In, or through, in this last case?

In Imlad Morgul.

>Does this mean that you could actually begin in Dagorlad and move to
>Barad Dur (through Udun)?

Hero companies may not move from Dagorlad to Udun (or beyond) without
some special card effect.

> What about Henneth Anun, though? Can you move through Imlad Morgul from
> Faramir's hideout straight to Barad Dur, or do you actually have to stop?

You must stop.

Van Norton
MECCG NetRep