Extended Decks: choices

Marcus Vipsanius Agrippa

Dec 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/26/97

I'm going to be competing soon in an extended tournament at a local comic
shop; problem is, I don't know what the metagame is like around here (I'm
home from school), and I have about 5 decks to choose from. =) so
anyway, here's a quick and dirty of what I've got available, and I'd be
interested in any opinions as to what's the strongest in extended play.
thanks in advance. all sideboards are typical for the colors involved.

g/w crittergeddon: 'geddons, plows, wraths, wall of roots, dervishes,
centaurs, ernhams, maro, disenchant, gaea's blessing.

this is probably my most tested deck at the moment...I'm worried about
permission with this one. counter the geddons, and oops!, I lose.

mono-blue rippledisk/capsize: Capsize, nev's disk, vision charm, reality
ripple, boomerang, counterspell, arcane denial, dissipate, dismiss, power
sink, breezekeeper, vanishing

this is an absolutely annoying deck (although untested) inspired by a
friend of mine...this is a slight variation. the idea is, get a disk into
play, use it, phase it out _in_response_ with a charm or ripple (with an
already phased out breezekeeper, hopefully), wash, rinse, repeat, your
opponent never keeps another non-land permanent for long. secondary means
of victory is the boomerang/capsize/breezekeeper beatdown...if you think
this is the way to go, I brought my unsummons, 'phids, and MoW's
too...what I'm concerned about here is deck speed; this isn't a terribly
fast deck, so I'm a little iffy.

mono-red sligh: keepers of kookus, goblin vandals, mogg fanatic, goblin
elite infantry, canyon wildcats, viashino sandstalkers, orcish cannoneers,
dragon whelps, bolts, torches, pillage, factories, goblin grenades

this is my latest sligh; very fast, extremely deadly. I wonder about its
current viability in the face of chill, warmth, humility, etc.

mono-black necro-buried alive: buried alive, ashen ghoul, nether shadow,
hidden horror, dark ritual, dark banishing, nev's disk, hymn to tourach,
drain life, lake of the dead, factories, necropotence, withered boon

nothing much surprising here...it'll be different playing with 4 hymns
again...is this sort of deck prominent in extended? withered boon is a
cool card...

red/white defensive: plows, wrath, bolts, incinerates, aether flash,
repentant blacksmith, freewind falcons, beasts of bogardan, shatter,
torches, disenchant, etc.

the idea here is to shutdown a weenie deck completely, and to make fatties
more accessible to my efficient DD. this deck, I think, would pretty much
paste buried alive, sligh, WW, and anything else dependent on < 2
toughness critters.

well, there you have it. any and all suggestions are welcome. the
tournament is tomorrow (27th), and I'd appreciate any input you might
have, especially if you're an experienced extended player. also, if you
think some combo up there from two different decks would go well (e.g.
necrobolt or boomergeddon or something...), I'd be open to that as well.

cheers.

| Adam M. Beal be...@uiuc.edu|
| www.cen.uiuc.edu/~beal |
| President, Sons of Kosh Kosh Lives!!|

PawOfGod

Dec 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/27/97

THe only one that is dominant in extended (around here) is the necro. Most
necro players use (sit down) bottle gnomes. If you've heard of it and think
its a stupid idea trust me it isn't. Also, don't play Withering boon, um,
doesn't work with necro. Diabolic Edict, Neekratal, or Contagion or the
creature removal of choice. Also, a demonic consultation or two is proabably a
good idea, since you will have 4 of most cards.
Paw
"God made man in his image, and man returned the complement." -Mark Twain
See my new set with actual workable, needed cards, not trash.
http://members.aol.com/PawOfGod/netherworld.html
Ditch the Netherworld part for the main page.