RULINGS SUMMARY: GENERAL (Changes Only) (05/20/97)

Stephen D''Angelo

May 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/20/97

General Rulings Summary (CHANGES ONLY) Updated 05/20/97

Rulings are collected from many sources. See credits and disclaimer at the
end of the file for details. The most recent mtg-l digest used was
"18 May 1997 to 19 May 1997".

These rulings are updated monthly. The most recent version is available on
the web (WWW) as either of the following:

http://www.activesw.com/~sdangelo/magic.html
ftp://ftp.activesw.com/pub/sdangelo/magic/rule-general.txt
ftp://ftp.itis.com/pub/deckmaster/rules/rule-general.txt

The above files are also available via FTP to "ftp.activesw.com" under
"pub/sdangelo/magic" or to "ftp.itis.com" under "/pub/deckmaster/rules" as
"rule-general.txt". If you have neither WWW nor FTP access, send e-mail to
"dan...@netcom.com" requesting a copy of the current Rulings Summaries.

A '+' is used to mark changes since the last released version on 04/16/97.

Thanx,

Stephen.
----
Stephen D'Angelo | Official Magic: The Gathering Rules Summary
dan...@netcom.com | Network Representative for Wizards of the Coast, Inc.

Table of Contents:
No changes to this section.

Turn Order Rules and Rulings
No changes to this section.

Attack Phase Rules and Rulings
No changes to this section.

Spell and Ability Timing
No changes to this section.

Glossary of Magic Topics

Damage Prevention:
+ You can target any number of packets with one damage prevention
spell/ability and divide the prevention among those packets as desired
with at least one point of prevention per packet. [D'Angelo 10/01/96]
You can assign more prevention to a packet than the packet has points
of damage. Overprevention is allowed. [Aahz 05/19/97]

Discard:
+ A discard that is part of a spell/ability's resolution is considered forced,
even if you can do something instead. [Duelist Magazine #14, Page 26]

Lucky Charms:
+ Since these are triggered abilities, they can only be used once for each
time their condition (an appropriate spell being cast) is met. They
trigger on the spell becoming "successfully cast". [D'Angelo 04/17/97]

Regeneration:
+ If a creature is in an attack and it regenerates, it is removed from the
combat [Mirage Page 5] Being removed from combat does not negate any
"at end of combat" effects on the creature.

Tournament Rulings

Type I:
+ As of 07/01/97, new card sets become effective on the first day of the
month following their introduction. If a set is relesed in the last two
weeks of a month, then the set's effective date is pushed out to the
first of the second month. For example, a set released on January 8th
is legal on February 1st, and one released on January 25th is legal on
March 1st. [Update 05/01/97]

Type II:
+ As of 07/01/97, Can be composed of cards from the most recent edition of The
Gathering (currently Fifth Edition) and all sets from the two most recent
"blocks" of expansions (currently Ice Age-Homelands-Alliances, and
Mirage-Visions-Weatherlight). A "block" is a stand-alone set and the two
expansion sets which follow it. This means that cards stay in use for
approximately two years. The Ice Age-Homelands-Alliances "block" will
rotate out (all three sets) when the next stand-alone is introduced.
[Update 05/01/97]
+ As of 07/01/97, new card sets become effective on the first day of the
month following their introduction. If a set is relesed in the last two
weeks of a month, then the set's effective date is pushed out to the
first of the second month. For example, a set released on January 8th
is legal on February 1st, and one released on January 25th is legal on
March 1st. [Update 05/01/97]
+ As of 07/01/97, Ice Age and Homelands are re-introduced to the card mix
and the following cards are added back to the banned list:
[Update 05/01/97]
Amulet of Quoz (IA) Timmerian Fiends (HL) Zuran Orb (IA)

Type I.5:
+ As of 07/01/97, new card sets become effective on the first day of the
month following their introduction. If a set is relesed in the last two
weeks of a month, then the set's effective date is pushed out to the
first of the second month. For example, a set released on January 8th
is legal on February 1st, and one released on January 25th is legal on
March 1st. [Update 05/01/97]
+ It used to be that all cards banned or restricted for Type I or Type II were
banned in this tournament type. Now a list is kept.
+ Some cards are 'banned' so that none may appear in the deck or sideboard.
These cards are: [Tourney Rules 03/01/97]
Amulet of Quoz Falling Star Rebirth
Ancestral Recall Fastbond Recall
Balance Feldon's Cane Regrowth
Berserk Fork Shahrazad
Black Lotus Ivory Tower Sol Ring
Black Vise Jeweled Bird Strip Mine
Braingeyser Land Tax Tempest Efreet
Bronze Tablet Library of Alexandria Time Walk
Candelabra of Tawnos Maze of Ith Timetwister
Channel Mind Twist Timmerian Fiends
Chaos Orb Mirror Universe Underworld Dreams
Contract From Below Mishra's Workshop Wheel of Fortune
Copy Artifact Mox Emerald Zuran Orb
Darkpact Mox Jet
Demonic Tutor Mox Ruby
+ As of 07/01/97, the banned list becomes simpler (but also longer). All
cards from Limited Edition, Unlimited Edition, Arabian Nights,
Antiquities, and Legends which have not been reprinted in a more recent
set are banned. [Update 05/01/97] These cards are explicitly banned even
though they are from legal sets:
[Update 05/01/97]
Amulet of Quoz (IA) Demonic Tutor (RV) Rebirth (4E)
Balance (RV/4E) Fastbond (RV) Regrowth (RV)
Black Vise (RV/4E) Ivory Tower (4E) Serendib Efreet (RV)
Braingeyser (RV) Jeweled Bird (CH) Sol Ring (RV)
Bronze Tablet (4E) Juggernaut (RV) Strip Mine (4E)
Channel (RV/4E) Kird Ape (RV) Tempest Efreet (4E)
Contract from Below(RV) Mana Crypt (PR) Timmerian Fiends (HL)
Darkpact (RV) Maze of Ith (DK) Wheel of Fortune (RV)
Demonic Attorney (RV) Mind Twist (RV/4E) Zuran Orb (IA)
+ Here is a (hopefully) complete list of cards are banned because they
have not been reprinted: LIMITED/UNLIMITED> Ancestral Recall, Berserk,
Black Lotus, Blaze of Glory, Camouflage, Chaos Orb, Consecrate Land,
Copper Tablet, Cyclopean Tomb, Dwarven Demolition Team, False Orders,
Forcefield, Gauntlet of Might, Ice Storm, Illusionary Mask, Invisibility,
Jade Statue, Lich, Mox Emerald, Mox Jet, Mox Pearl, Mox Ruby,
Mox Sapphire, Psionic Blast, Raging River, Sinkhole, Timetwister,
Time Vault, Time Walk, Two-Headed Giant of Foriys, Word of Command.
ARABIAN NIGHTS> Ali from Cairo, Army of Allah, Bazaar of Baghdad, Camel,
City in a Bottle, Desert, Desert Nomads, Diamond Valley, Drop of Honey,
Elephant Graveyard, Flying Men, Guardian Beast, Ifh-Biff Efreet,
Island of Wak-Wak, Jihad, Juzam Djinn, Khabal Ghoul, King Suleiman,
Library of Alexandria, Merchant Ship, Moorish Cavalry, Natural Selection,
Old Man of the Sea, Pyramids, Ring of Ma'ruf, Rukh Egg,
Sandals of Abdallah, Serendib Djinn, Shahrazad, Singing Tree,
Stone-Throwing Devils, Ydwen Efreet. ANTIQUTIES> Argivian Archaeologist,
Argivian Blacksmith, Argothian Treefolk, Artifact Blast, Artifact
Possession, Artifact Ward, Candelabra of Tawnos, Citanul Druid,
Damping Field, Drafna's Restoration, Gaea's Avenger, Gate to Phyrexia,
Golgothian Sylex, Haunting Wind, Martyrs of Korlis, Mightstone,
Mishra's Workshop, Orcish Mechanics, Oubliette, Phyrexian Gremlins,
Power Artifact, Powerleech, Priest of Yawgmoth, Reincarnation,
Sage of Lat-Nam, Staff of Zegon, Su-Chi, Tablet of Epityr, Tawnos's
Coffin, Transmute Artifact, Urza's Chalice, Urza's Miter, Weakstone.
LEGENDS> Acid Rain, Adventurers' Guildhouse, The Abyss, Adun Oakenshield,
AErathi Berserker, Aisling Leprechaun, Al-abara's Carpet, Alchor's Tomb,
All Hallow's Eve, Angus Mackenzie, Anti-Magic Aura, Arboria, Avoid Fate,
Backdraft, Barbary Apes, Barktooth Warbeard, Bartel Runeaxe, Blazing
Effigy, Boris Devilboon, Brine Hag, Cathedral of Serra, Caverns of
Despair, Chain Lightning, Chains of Mephistopheles, Cleanse, Clergy of
the Holy Nimbus, Crevasse, Crimson Kobolds, Crookshank Kobolds, Deadfall,
Demonic Torment, Devouring Deep, Disharmony, Divine Intervention,
Dream Coat, Dwarven Song, Elder Spawn, Enchanted Being, Equinox, Eureka,
Evil Eye of Orms-By-Gore, Falling Star, Feint, Field of Dreams,
Fire Sprites, Firestorm Phoenix, Flash Counter, Floral Spuzzem,
Force Spike, Forethought Amulet, Frost Giant, Ghosts of the Damned,
Giant Turtle, Glyph of Delusion, Glyph od Destruction, Glyph of Doom,
Glyph of Life, Glyph of Reincarnation, Gosta Dirk, Gravity Sphere,
Great Defender, Great Wall, Gwednlyn Di Corci, Halfdane, Hammerheim,
Hazezon Tamar, Headless Horseman, Heaven's Gate, Hellfire, Hell Swarm,
Holy Day, Hornet Cobra, Horror of Horrors, Hunding Gjornersen, Hyperion
Blacksmith, Ichneumon Druid, Imprison, Infernal Medusa, Infinite
Authority, In the Eye of Chaos, Invoke Prejudice, Jacques le Vert,
Jasmine Boreal, Jedit Ojanen, Jerrard of the Closed Fist, Jovial Evil,
Karakas, Kasimir the Lone Worf, Knowledge Vault, Kobold Drill Sergeant,
Kobold Overlord, Kobolds of Kher Keep, Kobold Taskmaster, Kry Shield,
Lady Caleria, Lady Evangela, The Lady of the Mountain, Lady Orca,
Land Equilibrium, Lesser Werewolf, Lifeblood, Life Chisel, Life Matrix,
Living Plane, Livonya Silone, Lord Magnus, Mana Drain, Mana Matrix,
Marble Priest, Master of the Hunt, Mirror Universe, Moat, Mold Demon,
Moss Monster, Mountain Stronghold, Nether Void, North Star, Nova Pentacle,
Part Water, Pavel Maliki, Pendelhaven, Pixie Queen, Planar Gate,
Presence of the Master, Princess Lucrezia, Psychic Purge, Quagmire,
Quarum Trench Gnomes, Ragnar, Ramiriz DePietro, Ramses Overdark,
Rapid Fire, Rasputin Dreamweaver, Relic Barrier, Reset, Remove
Enchantments, Reverberation, Righteous Avengers, Ring of Immortals,
Riven Turnbull, Rogahh of Kher Keep, Rust, Seafarer's Quay, Sea King's
Blessing, Shelkin Brownie, Sir Shandlar of Eberyn, Spectral Cloak,
Spinal Villain, Spiritual Sanctuary, Storm World, Subdue, Sunastian
Falconer, Sword of the Ages, Sylvan Paradise, Syphon Soul, Tabernacle at
Pendrell Vale, Telekinesis, Tetsuo Umezawa, Thunder Spirit, Tolaria,
Torsten Von Ursus, Touch of Darkness, Tuknir Deathlock, Typhoon, Undertow,
Underworld Dreams, Unholy Citadel, Urborg, Ur-Drago, Venarian Gold,
Walking Dead, Wall of Caltrops, Wall of Earth, Wall of Light, Wall of
Putrid Flesh, Wall of Tombstones, Willow Satyr, Wolverine Pack,
Wood Elemental.

Block Constructed Deck Formats:
+ This section takes effect on 07/01/97.
+ These formats follow the Type II rules for deck construction but only allow
cards from a given "block" rather than from the larger list of sets.
+ The current "blocks" are: Ice Age/Homelands/Alliances and
Mirage/Visions/Weatherlight.
+ Only cards explicitly banned from this format are banned. The Type II list
is not the only indicator.
+ Some cards are 'banned' from the Ice Age/Homelands/Alliances format so that
none may appear in a deck or sideboard. These cards are:
[Tourney Rules 10/01/95] + [Update 04/01/97]
Amulet of Quoz (IA) Thawing Glaciers (AL)
Timmerian Fiends (HL) Zuran Orb (IA)

Ice Age Constructed Deck:
+ It appears that this format is no longer supported by DCI as of 07/01/97.
+ Some cards are 'banned' so that none may appear in the deck or sideboard.
These cards are: [Tourney Rules 10/01/95] + [Update 04/01/97]
Amulet of Quoz Thawing Glaciers Zuran Orb

Ice Age/Alliances Constructed Deck:
+ It appears that this format is no longer supported by DCI as of 07/01/97.
See the Block Format for Ice Age/Homelands/Alliances.

Changes Between Fourth and Fifth Edition Rules

Damage Prevention:
+ Being reduced to zero toughness or to less or equal toughness to the amount
of damage on the creature does not cause a damage prevention. Toughness
changes in general do not cause damage prevention steps like they used
to. Only damage causes damage prevention.

Acknowldgements and Disclaimers
While this work is not officially issued by Wizards of the Coast, it does
represent the collected rulings from official sanctioned representatives
of and publications by Wizards of the Coast.
This summary is collected from rulings made by officials and network
representatives of Wizards of the Coast, along with a number of
unofficial rulings also collected from the net. Whenever a source for
a ruling is known, the name of that person is listed with the ruling.
"bethmo" is Beth Moursund, the network representative for the "mtg-l"
mailing list. "D'Angelo" is Stephen D'Angelo, the previous "mtg-l"
representative. "Peterson" is Paul Peterson, the previous "mtg-l"
representative. "bethmo" was also the representative before Paul.
"Aahz" is Tom Wylie, the Magic Rules Guru. "DeLaney" is David Delaney,
the network representative for the "rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules"
newsgroup. "Snark" is Dave Howell of WotC. Official rulings from the
rules team are marked as "WotC Rules Team". Rules from the Mirage rule
book are marked with "Mirage Page #". Errata from the Magic Official
Encyclopedia are marked with "Encyclopedia Page #".
These files may be freely copied and posted anywhere you'd like. The
contents can also be included in other formats (such as HTML or databases)
or in products, but there are two restrictions. I insist that the files
are not sold for profit. Anything you put them in must be available at
no more than cost of duplication. Also, you must give credit to me and
list the version date your work is derived from. Thanks.
Every attempt has been made to make this summary accurate, but errors do
creep in. Nothing in this work is guaranteed to be accurate. Use at your
own risk.
Magic: The Gathering and all of the cards listed herein are copyrighted by
Wizards of the Coast.

Alex Rhomberg

May 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/22/97
to Stephen D''Angelo

> Type I.5:

> + As of 07/01/97, the banned list becomes simpler (but also longer). All
> cards from Limited Edition, Unlimited Edition, Arabian Nights,
> Antiquities, and Legends which have not been reprinted in a more recent
> set are banned. [Update 05/01/97] These cards are explicitly banned even
> though they are from legal sets:

This has probably been pointed out to you, but I didn't see it on the
newsgroup:
Type 1.5 (AKA Classic restricted) stays as it was
A new tournament type "Extended" (AKA Type 1.99995 :-) is introduced,
that fits your description of type 1.5

Regards
Alex

/ \
| Alex Rhomberg Tel: +41 1 632 49 18 |
| Institut fuer Elektronik Fax: +41 1 632 12 10 |
| ETH Zuerich Zentrale: +41 1 632 11 11 |
| Gloriastrasse 35 |
| 8092 Zuerich email: rhom...@ife.ee.ethz.ch |
\_________________________________________________________________/

Jung, Nai Hoon

May 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/23/97

Stephen D''Angelo wrote:

> Damage Prevention:
> + You can target any number of packets with one damage prevention
> spell/ability and divide the prevention among those packets as
> desired
> with at least one point of prevention per packet. [D'Angelo
> 10/01/96]
> You can assign more prevention to a packet than the packet has
> points
> of damage. Overprevention is allowed. [Aahz 05/19/97]

Then, Can Healing Salve save two Grizzly Bears burnt by Pyrokinesis?

Jung, Nai Hoon

David DeLaney

May 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/23/97

"Jung, Nai Hoon" <nhj...@camars.kaist.ac.kr> writes:
>> Damage Prevention:
>> + You can target any number of packets with one damage prevention
>> spell/ability and divide the prevention among those packets as desired
>> with at least one point of prevention per packet. [D'Angelo 10/01/96]
>> You can assign more prevention to a packet than the packet has points
>> of damage. Overprevention is allowed. [Aahz 05/19/97]
>
> Then, Can Healing Salve save two Grizzly Bears burnt by Pyrokinesis?

Good question.
I believe the answer's "no", because the Salve also says that it's being aimed
at one creature or player, and the Rulings for it talk about it targetting
the damage on "the creature or the player". If it were able to prevent damage
on multiple things, it would be phrased "prevent up to 3 damage to any number
of creatures or players" instead.

Dave
--
\/David DeLaney d...@panacea.phys.utk.edu "It's not the pot that grows the flower
http://enigma.phys.utk.edu/~dbd/ - net.legends FAQ / I WUV you in all CAPS! --K.

Jung, Nai Hoon

May 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/23/97

David DeLaney wrote:

> "Jung, Nai Hoon" <nhj...@camars.kaist.ac.kr> writes:

> >> Damage Prevention:
> >> + You can target any number of packets with one damage prevention
>
> >> spell/ability and divide the prevention among those packets
> as desired
> >> with at least one point of prevention per packet. [D'Angelo
> 10/01/96]
> >> You can assign more prevention to a packet than the packet
> has points
> >> of damage. Overprevention is allowed. [Aahz 05/19/97]
> >

> > Then, Can Healing Salve save two Grizzly Bears burnt by
> Pyrokinesis?
>
> Good question.
> I believe the answer's "no", because the Salve also says that it's
> being aimed
> at one creature or player, and the Rulings for it talk about it
> targetting
> the damage on "the creature or the player". If it were able to
> prevent damage
> on multiple things, it would be phrased "prevent up to 3 damage to
> any number
> of creatures or players" instead.
>
> Dave

Then, any examples?

Jung, Nai Hoon

Ingo Warnke

May 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/23/97

Jung, Nai Hoon (nhj...@camars.kaist.ac.kr) wrote:
: > Good question.

: > I believe the answer's "no", because the Salve also says that it's
: > being aimed
: > at one creature or player, and the Rulings for it talk about it
: > targetting
: > the damage on "the creature or the player". If it were able to
: > prevent damage
: > on multiple things, it would be phrased "prevent up to 3 damage to
: > any number
: > of creatures or players" instead.
: >
: > Dave

: Then, any examples?

What for do you want examples?

Ingo Warnke

Jung, Nai Hoon

May 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/23/97

Ingo Warnke wrote:

Example of cards or situations, changed by angelo's multiple packet
damage prevention rule.

Or, is that ruling just for Remedy(MI)?

Jung, Nai Hoon

Joachim Tabaczek

May 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/23/97

In article <3384E0C4...@camars.kaist.ac.kr>, "Jung, Nai Hoon" <nhj...@camars.kaist.ac.kr> writes:

|> Stephen D''Angelo wrote:
|> >
|> > Damage Prevention:
|> > + You can target any number of packets with one damage prevention
|> > spell/ability and divide the prevention among those packets as
|> > desired
|> > with at least one point of prevention per packet. [D'Angelo
|> > 10/01/96]
|> > You can assign more prevention to a packet than the packet has
|> > points
|> > of damage. Overprevention is allowed. [Aahz 05/19/97]
|>
|> Then, Can Healing Salve save two Grizzly Bears burnt by Pyrokinesis?

No. Healing Salve says, in part, `... prevent up to 3 damage to
any creature...', so you can only prevent damage dealt to one
creature. However, if there are several packets of damage on
this one creature, you can target all of them. [For example, if
your Grizzly Bear is blocked by two Goblin Heroes, he has two
packets of damage to deal with, each with two points of damage.
Healing Salve can now target both of them and prevent 2 damage
from one packet and 1 damage from the other, saving the Bear.
(If it could target only one packet, your Bear would still die
from the other one.)]

Joachim

James Monk

May 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/23/97

David DeLaney wrote:

> "Jung, Nai Hoon" <nhj...@camars.kaist.ac.kr> writes:
> >> Damage Prevention:
> >> + You can target any number of packets with one damage prevention
> >> spell/ability and divide the prevention among those packets as desired
> >> with at least one point of prevention per packet. [D'Angelo 10/01/96]
> >> You can assign more prevention to a packet than the packet has points
> >> of damage. Overprevention is allowed. [Aahz 05/19/97]
> >
> > Then, Can Healing Salve save two Grizzly Bears burnt by Pyrokinesis?
>
> Good question.
> I believe the answer's "no", because the Salve also says that it's being aimed
> at one creature or player, and the Rulings for it talk about it targetting
> the damage on "the creature or the player". If it were able to prevent damage
> on multiple things, it would be phrased "prevent up to 3 damage to any number

> of creatures or players" instead.

Does that mean that it goes back to targeting the critter as well as the
damage packet(s)

Jim

Ingo Warnke

May 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/23/97

Jung, Nai Hoon (nhj...@camars.kaist.ac.kr) wrote:

: Example of cards or situations, changed by angelo's multiple packet
: damage prevention rule.

As sombody pointed out, you can use Healing Salve on different damage packets
that are on the same creature (maybe due to combat damage). This will be
the most often used application of this rule, as it is the situation that
comes up most often. If some redirection of damage happens (Zhalfirin Cru-
sader), this may also occur.

Ingo Warnke

Ingo Warnke

May 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/23/97

James Monk (james...@tertio.com) wrote:

: Does that mean that it [Healing Salve] goes back to targeting the critter

: as well as the damage packet(s)

No. Ray of Command targets a creature with the additional restriction that the
creature must be controlled by an opponent. That doesn't mean that the Ray
targets the opponent as well.

A Healing Salve targets packets of damage. There is the additional restriction
that those packets must be on the same creature/player, but (see example
with Ray) that doesn't mean that it targets the creature/player.

Ingo Warnke

mcc...@wku.edu

May 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/23/97

In article <3384E0C4...@camars.kaist.ac.kr>, "Jung, Nai Hoon" <nhj...@camars.kaist.ac.kr> writes:
> Stephen D''Angelo wrote:

>> Damage Prevention:
>> + You can target any number of packets with one damage prevention
>> spell/ability and divide the prevention among those packets as
>> desired
>> with at least one point of prevention per packet. [D'Angelo
>> 10/01/96]
>> You can assign more prevention to a packet than the packet has
>> points
>> of damage. Overprevention is allowed. [Aahz 05/19/97]

> Then, Can Healing Salve save two Grizzly Bears burnt by Pyrokinesis?
>

> Jung, Nai Hoon

No. Healing Salve targets packets of damage done to a single creature or
player...no multiples.

| | |
| Jason McCoy | Visit the Nexus! |
| of | You can find us on the Web at: |
| Team Nexus | http://www.mindspring.com/~thenexus/index.htm |
|______________________|_____________________________________________________|

mcc...@wku.edu

May 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/23/97

In article <338578...@tertio.com>, James Monk <james...@tertio.com> writes:
>> I believe the answer's "no", because the Salve also says that it's being aimed
>> at one creature or player, and the Rulings for it talk about it targetting
>> the damage on "the creature or the player". If it were able to prevent damage
>> on multiple things, it would be phrased "prevent up to 3 damage to any number
>> of creatures or players" instead.
>
> Does that mean that it goes back to targeting the critter as well as the
> damage packet(s)

No. It just targets a specific set of packets: packets that are all damaging
a specific creature.

Lea Ann Greer

May 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/24/97