Yet another timing Q

Glen Robinson

Aug 3, 2003, 2:47:00 AM8/3/03
Hi all.

I have yet another timing question and am not exactly sure how 1.6.1.6
applies, or if there has been another clarification of it.

Situation: Muaziz Bum's Rushes (I'll call him Gimp) and uses a Dawn Op.
Combat begins, cards before range? Muaziz plays Skin of Night and Weather
Control (and maybe even an Amaranth for the fun of it).

If I am Gimp's controller, do I get a chance to play a Skin of Night (for
example) between Muaziz's SoN and WC?

Thus the question: Does the Acting minion get to play as many cards at any
stage (of combat, in this case) before the other minion gets to play cards
for that stage (in this case, cards before range)? Or, does the Gimp get a
chance after every Acting minion's card to 'react' to that card? If I don't,
the above situation is rather bloody nasty!

Cheers all!
Gleno

James Coupe

Aug 3, 2003, 3:26:20 AM8/3/03
In message <3f2cafe7$0$15132$afc3...@news.optusnet.com.au>, Glen

Robinson <glen_r...@optusnet.com.au> writes:
>Hi all.
>
>I have yet another timing question and am not exactly sure how 1.6.1.6
>applies, or if there has been another clarification of it.
>
>Situation: Muaziz Bum's Rushes (I'll call him Gimp) and uses a Dawn Op.
>Combat begins, cards before range? Muaziz plays Skin of Night and Weather
>Control (and maybe even an Amaranth for the fun of it).
>
>If I am Gimp's controller, do I get a chance to play a Skin of Night (for
>example) between Muaziz's SoN and WC?

Possibly, but it's unlikely.

The acting Methuselah has priority. After any card, effect etc. is
played, the acting Methuselah gets the next chance to follow up with
one. So after playing Skin of Night, the acting Methuselah gets to play
the next "Before range..." effect.

They *could* decline to play anything after their first card, and you
could then play Skin of Night. But they don't have to. And it would -
generally - be relatively foolish to, since if you don't play a Before
Range... card, they don't get priority back to play another. i.e. if
the acting Methuselah passes control of a phase over to the reacting
minion, and the reacting minion declines to play anything, the acting
minion doesn't get a second bite.

The usual - and scariest (given how many times it seems to happen) -
situation is when an acting Methuselah asks the reacting Methuselah "Any
maneuvers?" At that point, he can't then maneuver himself unless the
reacting Methuselah plays a card/effect. He passed control, and no
effect was played for him to get back priority.

[1.6.1.6] is very helpful here.

>Thus the question: Does the Acting minion get to play as many cards at any
>stage (of combat, in this case) before the other minion gets to play cards
>for that stage (in this case, cards before range)?

Yes. [1.6.1.6]

"Sequencing. If two or more players want to play a card or effect, the
acting Methuselah plays first. At every stage, the acting player always
has the opportunity to play the next card or effect. So after playing
one effect, she may play another and another. Once she is finished, the
opportunity passes to the defending Methuselah (in the cases of directed
actions and combat), then to the rest of the Methuselahs in clockwise
order from the acting Methuselah. Note that if any Methuselah uses a
card or effect, the acting Methuselah again gets the opportunity to play
the next effect."

>Or, does the Gimp get a
>chance after every Acting minion's card to 'react' to that card?

They get a chance after the acting Methuselah passes control over to
them.

>If I don't,
>the above situation is rather bloody nasty!

Actually, a lot less than you think.

Muaziz Bum's Rushed the vampire. Muaziz only has inferior Fortitude.
And I think you've missed what Dawn Operation says on its card text:

[for] If this action is blocked, all damage inflicted to all vampires in
the resulting combat is aggravated. Any vampire attempting to block may
now choose not to block.

You need the action to be blocked. On a Bum's Rush, blocking then would
probably be silly. And at inferior, they can back out.

--
James Coupe
PGP Key: 0x5D623D5D

Darky

Aug 3, 2003, 6:50:40 AM8/3/03
"Glen Robinson" <glen_r...@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message news:<3f2cafe7$0$15132$afc3...@news.optusnet.com.au>...

I'm not sure about the answer to your question, and i'm too lazy to
search it up, but don't forget you have to block the action (bumsrush
in this case) before the acting minion (muaziz) can use dawn
operation.

-Bram Vink

Timlagor

Aug 3, 2003, 11:59:21 AM8/3/03
Glen Robinson expounded:

> Thus the question: Does the Acting minion get to play as many cards at any
> stage (of combat, in this case) before the other minion gets to play cards
> for that stage (in this case, cards before range)? Or, does the Gimp get a
> chance after every Acting minion's card to 'react' to that card? If I don't,
> the above situation is rather bloody nasty!

Weather Control gets it's own damage resolution phase in which both
players get a chance to play cards to react to it.

If OTOH, Muaziz was packing a Rotschreck as well Gimp would need Psyche!
or Telepathic Tracking to survive.

salem

Aug 3, 2003, 12:10:05 PM8/3/03
On 3 Aug 2003 03:50:40 -0700, jja....@hccnet.nl (Darky) scrawled:

You can play Dawn Operation whenever you want during an action. It
only has an effect if there is a block attempt, however.

salem
domain:canberra http://www.geocities.com/salem_christ.geo/vtes.htm

salem

Aug 3, 2003, 12:15:30 PM8/3/03
On Sun, 3 Aug 2003 08:26:20 +0100, James Coupe <ja...@zephyr.org.uk>
scrawled:

>In message <3f2cafe7$0$15132$afc3...@news.optusnet.com.au>, Glen
>Robinson <glen_r...@optusnet.com.au> writes:
>>Hi all.
>>
>>I have yet another timing question and am not exactly sure how 1.6.1.6
>>applies, or if there has been another clarification of it.
>>
>>Situation: Muaziz Bum's Rushes (I'll call him Gimp) and uses a Dawn Op.
>>Combat begins, cards before range? Muaziz plays Skin of Night and Weather
>>Control (and maybe even an Amaranth for the fun of it).
>>
>>If I am Gimp's controller, do I get a chance to play a Skin of Night (for
>>example) between Muaziz's SoN and WC?
>
>Possibly, but it's unlikely.
>
>The acting Methuselah has priority. After any card, effect etc. is
>played, the acting Methuselah gets the next chance to follow up with
>one. So after playing Skin of Night, the acting Methuselah gets to play
>the next "Before range..." effect.

However, as Weather Control sets up a damage effect, you get to play
cards in esponse to the damage, thus being allowed to play your own
Skin of Night before the damage could put you in torpor, but after the
WC is played.

http://www.google.com.au/groups?selm=3EE76CF5.4070505%40white-wolf.com&oe=UTF-8&output=gplain
In this post, LSJ replies:

"
> As such Skin of Night says "for the
> remainder of the remainder of the round", so if you played Weather Control
> before you played Skin of Night under a Dawn Operation then the acting
> vampire blows himself up.

Not true. Damage application and damage handling are done in sequence
(allowing for damage prevention, Skin of Night, etc.)

salem

Aug 3, 2003, 12:30:46 PM8/3/03
On Sun, 3 Aug 2003 16:59:21 +0100, Timlagor
<Timlagor...@yahoo.com> scrawled:

she'd want to be a clan impersonated malkavian acting OOT in the
madness network to both play rotsschrek and an action modifier.

oh, and it still wouldn't work as rotschrek requires one minion to be
inflicting agg damage on a vampire. Weather control is environmental
(in more ways than one. ;) and thus doesn't come 'from' the minion. so
it's not reduced by 1 against Nephandi, and won't count towards disarm
('inflict more damage'), etc.

Xian

Aug 3, 2003, 12:41:32 PM8/3/03
On Sun, 3 Aug 2003 16:47:00 +1000, "Glen Robinson"
<glen_r...@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

>Situation: Muaziz Bum's Rushes (I'll call him Gimp) and uses a Dawn Op.
>Combat begins, cards before range? Muaziz plays Skin of Night and Weather
>Control (and maybe even an Amaranth for the fun of it).

Just out of curiostiy, if Muaziz was actually rushing, why would you
bother playing intercept to block? Actually, if anyone is Bum's
Rushing and you expect them to play Dawn Op/Weather Control, why would
you block?

Dawn Operation
Cardtype: Action Modifier
Discipline: Fortitude

[for] If this action ***is blocked***, all damage inflicted to all

vampires in the resulting combat is aggravated. Any vampire attempting
to block may now choose not to block.

[FOR] As above, but vampires attempting to block cannot back out.

Xian

Andrew Daley

Aug 4, 2003, 3:42:27 AM8/4/03

>>>If I am Gimp's controller, do I get a chance to play a Skin of Night (for
>>>example) between Muaziz's SoN and WC?
>>
>>Possibly, but it's unlikely.
>>
>>The acting Methuselah has priority. After any card, effect etc. is
>>played, the acting Methuselah gets the next chance to follow up with
>>one. So after playing Skin of Night, the acting Methuselah gets to play
>>the next "Before range..." effect.
>
>However, as Weather Control sets up a damage effect, you get to play
>cards in esponse to the damage, thus being allowed to play your own
>Skin of Night before the damage could put you in torpor, but after the
>WC is played.
>
>http://www.google.com.au/groups?selm=3EE76CF5.4070505%40white-wolf.com&oe=UTF-8&output=gplain
>In this post, LSJ replies:
>
>"
>> As such Skin of Night says "for the
>> remainder of the remainder of the round", so if you played Weather Control
>> before you played Skin of Night under a Dawn Operation then the acting
>> vampire blows himself up.
>
>Not true. Damage application and damage handling are done in sequence
>(allowing for damage prevention, Skin of Night, etc.)
>"
I didn't think you could prevent environmental damage such as weather
control?

By the same logic, if the acting plays a WC the defending could play a
terror frenzy at sup. Does that mean the acting minion has to pay a
blood to get the WC effect off?

Andrew.

Andrew Daley

Aug 4, 2003, 3:44:51 AM8/4/03
On Sun, 3 Aug 2003 16:47:00 +1000, "Glen Robinson"
<glen_r...@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

I checked the rules... again... this time I think I found the rule
that clearly states the minion can only play one card or use an effect
before the defending minion can play a card,
6.4.1. Combat Sequence
Combat occurs in a series of one or more rounds. Each round of combat
has three steps:
Determine Range. Use maneuvers to set the range to close or long.
Strike. Announce and resolve strikes.
Press. Use presses to continue into another round or to end combat.
As usual, the acting minion always gets first opportunity to use a
card or effect before the opposing minion at every stage of combat.

Andrew.

salem

Aug 4, 2003, 4:04:34 AM8/4/03
On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 17:42:27 +1000, Andrew Daley <dal...@iinet.net.au>
scrawled:

>>>Possibly, but it's unlikely.
>>>
>>>The acting Methuselah has priority. After any card, effect etc. is
>>>played, the acting Methuselah gets the next chance to follow up with
>>>one. So after playing Skin of Night, the acting Methuselah gets to play
>>>the next "Before range..." effect.
>>
>>However, as Weather Control sets up a damage effect, you get to play
>>cards in esponse to the damage, thus being allowed to play your own
>>Skin of Night before the damage could put you in torpor, but after the
>>WC is played.
>>
>>http://www.google.com.au/groups?selm=3EE76CF5.4070505%40white-wolf.com&oe=UTF-8&output=gplain
>>In this post, LSJ replies:
>>
>>"
>>> As such Skin of Night says "for the
>>> remainder of the remainder of the round", so if you played Weather Control
>>> before you played Skin of Night under a Dawn Operation then the acting
>>> vampire blows himself up.
>>
>>Not true. Damage application and damage handling are done in sequence
>>(allowing for damage prevention, Skin of Night, etc.)
>>"
>I didn't think you could prevent environmental damage such as weather
>control?

Weather Control has specific text to make it unpreventable.
Environmental damage, in general, IS preventable. It's just that cards
like Skin of Steel, which specify damage from a STRIKE, are no good.
You'll need a card that just says "prevent (some) damage".

BUT, just because some damage is unpreventable doesn't mean you don't
go through the 'damage application, damage resolution' bits. And it's
in there somewhere that you get to play Skin of Night, I guess, in the
origional example.

>By the same logic, if the acting plays a WC the defending could play a
>terror frenzy at sup. Does that mean the acting minion has to pay a
>blood to get the WC effect off?

Nope. Superior Terror Frenzy only makes the opposing minion burn an
additional blood to _play_ cards. Once they're played, their effects
can be used with no further penalty. and, obviously, it will only
effect cards played _after_ the TF is played. It says nothing about
making the opposing vampire retroactively burn blood.

salem

Aug 4, 2003, 4:10:07 AM8/4/03
On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 17:44:51 +1000, Andrew Daley <dal...@iinet.net.au>
scrawled:

>I checked the rules... again... this time I think I found the rule
>that clearly states the minion can only play one card or use an effect
>before the defending minion can play a card,
>6.4.1. Combat Sequence
>Combat occurs in a series of one or more rounds. Each round of combat
>has three steps:
>Determine Range. Use maneuvers to set the range to close or long.
>Strike. Announce and resolve strikes.
>Press. Use presses to continue into another round or to end combat.
>As usual, the acting minion always gets first opportunity to use a
>card or effect before the opposing minion at every stage of combat.

The 'as usual' is referring to the sequencing rules.

If acting minion plays WC, that acting minion gets a chance to play a
card in response to the WC first, then the defending minion.
So they (the acting minion) can play 2 cards in a row. :)

Andrew Daley

Aug 4, 2003, 4:20:23 AM8/4/03
On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 18:04:34 +1000, salem <salem_ch...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

I am not confused by preventing strike damage. I was really referring
to damage applied to a vampire outside of a strike. You were
indicating that everytime damage was applied there was some damage
handling to be done, such as prevention. How would handling twisting
the knife go? What if a minion chooses to take the 3 damage (only has
1 soak) can he now prevent the one damage from a TtK?

>BUT, just because some damage is unpreventable doesn't mean you don't
>go through the 'damage application, damage resolution' bits. And it's
>in there somewhere that you get to play Skin of Night, I guess, in the
>origional example.
>
>>By the same logic, if the acting plays a WC the defending could play a
>>terror frenzy at sup. Does that mean the acting minion has to pay a
>>blood to get the WC effect off?
>
>Nope. Superior Terror Frenzy only makes the opposing minion burn an
>additional blood to _play_ cards. Once they're played, their effects
>can be used with no further penalty. and, obviously, it will only
>effect cards played _after_ the TF is played. It says nothing about
>making the opposing vampire retroactively burn blood.

Thanks for that Salem. It was a query as our group has been discussing
that in combat cards are play simultanuously or to that effect. You
response clears this problem up.

Andrew

Andrew Daley

Aug 4, 2003, 4:33:58 AM8/4/03
On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 18:10:07 +1000, salem <salem_ch...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

Cool. :)

So acting plays a card.. resolve it... acting resolves then defending.
The defending can now play a card in response to the acting card...
resolve it.. acting resolves then defending. This continues until both
minions decline to play a card in that phase.

Andrew.

wolflord

Aug 4, 2003, 4:41:09 AM8/4/03
Xian <xi...@bogus-spam-trap-visi.remove.com> wrote in message news:<7meqivkuvqtgi3hmm...@4ax.com>...
> Cause then she loses the maneuver ?
Jo
> Xian

salem

Aug 4, 2003, 5:14:26 AM8/4/03
On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 18:20:23 +1000, Andrew Daley <dal...@iinet.net.au>
scrawled:

>I am not confused by preventing strike damage. I was really referring

>to damage applied to a vampire outside of a strike. You were
>indicating that everytime damage was applied there was some damage
>handling to be done, such as prevention.

from the rulebook, 6.4.3: Strike:
"When a minion or retainer takes damage (either from a strike
or from other means), he must burn blood or lose life, as appropriate
(see “Damage Resolution,” sec. 6.4.6)."

From 6.4.6: Damage Resolution:
"Damage resolution has two steps: prevent damage and heal damage.
First, the minion taking damage can play damage prevention
cards (such as the combat card Skin of Rock) if he is able to do so.
These damage prevention cards are played one at a time until all
the damage is prevented or until the minion chooses not to play
any more. Only minions can prevent damage. Damage to retainers
cannot be prevented.
Any remaining damage (damage that was not prevented) is successfully
inflicted. The damage is then healed (if the victim is a vampire)
or causes a loss of life points (if the victim is an ally or
retainer).
For each point of damage inflicted on a vampire, he must burn
one blood to heal the damage."

>How would handling twisting
>the knife go? What if a minion chooses to take the 3 damage (only has
>1 soak) can he now prevent the one damage from a TtK?

the first response would be "what are you doing playing with twisting
the knife?" :)

As to the way it works, i assume 'inflict' is like applying the
damage. you apply 3 or more from your strike, you then apply another 1
with TtK. then you go to damage prevention, and can prevent whatever
point you want with your 'soak' (prevent damage card? damn RPGers.
sorry, Storytelling Gamers ;).
This i am not sure on though. You might wanna pester LSJ about
'inflict' vs 'successfully inflict', and/or do a google search. :)
sorry i can't do it myself because my GF is pestering me to go to
dinner...

cheers,

James Coupe

Aug 4, 2003, 6:46:56 AM8/4/03
In message <7d6sivs8pr0vu0i32...@4ax.com>, Andrew Daley

<dal...@iinet.net.au> writes:
>So acting plays a card.. resolve it... acting resolves then defending.
>The defending can now play a card in response to the acting card...
>resolve it.. acting resolves then defending. This continues until both
>minions decline to play a card in that phase.

No. The defending Methuselah does not get a chance to play a card in
response to another card (of the same timing phase) unless and until the
acting Methuselah ceases to hold control.

(Cards like Direct Intervention work because their timing is quite
specific - the acting Methuselah does not have a card to play at that
time, so they do not play a card, and then control passes to the other
Methuselahs, in order. In the typical case, no-one plays any card like
DI and control passes back to the acting Methuselah.)

Assuming everything happens in the same timing phase (like Weather
Control, Torn Signpost and Carrion Crows):

Acting Methuselah plays (and resolves) the card of his choice
Acting Methuselah plays (and resolves) the card of his choice
Acting Methuselah plays (and resolves) the card of his choice
... (Repeat until bored)
Acting Methuselah plays (and resolves) the card of his choice
Acting Methuselah declines to play (and resolve) a card of his choice
Control passes to reacting Methuselah
Reacting Methuselah plays (and resolves) the card of his choice
Acting Methuselah regains opportunity to play
Acting Methuselah plays (and resolves) the card of his choice
Acting Methuselah plays (and resolves) the card of his choice
Acting Methuselah plays (and resolves) the card of his choice
Acting Methuselah declines to play (and resolve) a card of his choice
Reacting Methuselah declines to play (and resolve) a card of his choice

Timing phase ends

It does *not* go "Acting 1 card, Reacting 1 card, Acting 1 card,
Reacting 1 card".

"At every stage, the acting player always has the opportunity to play

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

the next card or effect. So after playing one effect, she may play

another and another."
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"Once she is finished, the opportunity passes to the defending
Methuselah (in the cases of directed actions and combat), then to the
rest of the Methuselahs in clockwise order from the acting Methuselah.
Note that if any Methuselah uses a card or effect, the acting Methuselah

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

again gets the opportunity to play the next effect."

LSJ

Aug 4, 2003, 8:02:14 AM8/4/03
Andrew Daley wrote:

[snip unattributed quote - please quote responsibly]

> I didn't think you could prevent environmental damage such as weather
> control?

You can prevent environmental damage in general. You cannot prevent
Weather Control damage, but that's because it is marked as unpreventable,
not because of some inherent property of environmental damage.

> By the same logic, if the acting plays a WC the defending could play a
> terror frenzy at sup. Does that mean the acting minion has to pay a
> blood to get the WC effect off?

No.

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

LSJ

Aug 4, 2003, 8:08:52 AM8/4/03
Andrew Daley wrote:

> salem <salem_ch...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>Weather Control has specific text to make it unpreventable.
>>Environmental damage, in general, IS preventable. It's just that cards
>>like Skin of Steel, which specify damage from a STRIKE, are no good.
>>You'll need a card that just says "prevent (some) damage".
>
> I am not confused by preventing strike damage. I was really referring
> to damage applied to a vampire outside of a strike. You were
> indicating that everytime damage was applied there was some damage
> handling to be done, such as prevention. How would handling twisting

This is correct.

> the knife go? What if a minion chooses to take the 3 damage (only has
> 1 soak) can he now prevent the one damage from a TtK?

Yes.
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3E19E057.F087A2CB%40white-wolf.com

Xian

Aug 4, 2003, 9:13:15 AM8/4/03
On 4 Aug 2003 01:41:09 -0700, jo.her...@sca.com (wolflord) wrote:

>Xian wrote:
>> Just out of curiostiy, if Muaziz was actually rushing, why would you
>> bother playing intercept to block? Actually, if anyone is Bum's
>> Rushing and you expect them to play Dawn Op/Weather Control, why would
>> you block?
>>

>> Cause then she loses the maneuver ?

Yeah, but she doesn't get the agg damage if it's not blocked...

Xian

Andrew Daley

Aug 4, 2003, 10:29:55 AM8/4/03
On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 11:46:56 +0100, James Coupe <ja...@zephyr.org.uk>
wrote:

>In message <7d6sivs8pr0vu0i32...@4ax.com>, Andrew Daley
><dal...@iinet.net.au> writes:
>>So acting plays a card.. resolve it... acting resolves then defending.
>>The defending can now play a card in response to the acting card...
>>resolve it.. acting resolves then defending. This continues until both
>>minions decline to play a card in that phase.
>
>No. The defending Methuselah does not get a chance to play a card in
>response to another card (of the same timing phase) unless and until the
>acting Methuselah ceases to hold control.

I have I chosen poor wording. More accurate to say, the effect or
card that the defending Meth wants to play. I was seeking
clarification on 6.4.1. What does this mean? [note I have only
inserted part of 6.4.1 as it is distinct from other text]
"... As usual, the acting minion always gets first opportunity to use

a card or effect before the opposing minion at every stage of combat."

>(Cards like Direct Intervention work because their timing is quite
>specific - the acting Methuselah does not have a card to play at that
>time, so they do not play a card, and then control passes to the other
>Methuselahs, in order. In the typical case, no-one plays any card like
>DI and control passes back to the acting Methuselah.)
>
>Assuming everything happens in the same timing phase (like Weather
>Control, Torn Signpost and Carrion Crows):
>
>Acting Methuselah plays (and resolves) the card of his choice
>Acting Methuselah plays (and resolves) the card of his choice
>Acting Methuselah plays (and resolves) the card of his choice
>... (Repeat until bored)
>Acting Methuselah plays (and resolves) the card of his choice
>Acting Methuselah declines to play (and resolve) a card of his choice
>Control passes to reacting Methuselah
>Reacting Methuselah plays (and resolves) the card of his choice

Does the reacting only gets the opportunity to play one card? or at
this point the reacting meth declines to play/resolve?

>Acting Methuselah regains opportunity to play
>Acting Methuselah plays (and resolves) the card of his choice
>Acting Methuselah plays (and resolves) the card of his choice
>Acting Methuselah plays (and resolves) the card of his choice
>Acting Methuselah declines to play (and resolve) a card of his choice
>Reacting Methuselah declines to play (and resolve) a card of his choice
>
>Timing phase ends
>It does *not* go "Acting 1 card, Reacting 1 card, Acting 1 card,
>Reacting 1 card".
>
>"At every stage, the acting player always has the opportunity to play
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>the next card or effect. So after playing one effect, she may play
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>another and another."
>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Doesn't that contridict the above highlighted section of 6.4.1?
Or am I just missing the point?

Andrew Daley

Aug 4, 2003, 10:37:58 AM8/4/03
On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 08:08:52 -0400, LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com>
wrote:

>Andrew Daley wrote:
>> salem <salem_ch...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>>Weather Control has specific text to make it unpreventable.
>>>Environmental damage, in general, IS preventable. It's just that cards
>>>like Skin of Steel, which specify damage from a STRIKE, are no good.
>>>You'll need a card that just says "prevent (some) damage".
>>
>> I am not confused by preventing strike damage. I was really referring
>> to damage applied to a vampire outside of a strike. You were
>> indicating that everytime damage was applied there was some damage
>> handling to be done, such as prevention. How would handling twisting
>
>This is correct.
>
>> the knife go? What if a minion chooses to take the 3 damage (only has
>> 1 soak) can he now prevent the one damage from a TtK?
>
>Yes.
>http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3E19E057.F087A2CB%40white-wolf.com

Thanks for that. I apologise for not looking for the info, rather, I
was hoping to have a discussion and put your knowledge to good use. :)

So am I correct in saying that at any stage in the combat sequence, a
minion takes damage can play a damage prevention card to soak it? That
is presuming that the damage is preventable.

Andrew.

Timlagor

Aug 4, 2003, 10:43:14 AM8/4/03
Xian expounded:

'cos you want the agg damage?

Timlagor

Aug 4, 2003, 11:05:33 AM8/4/03
Andrew Daley expounded:

> >Reacting Methuselah plays (and resolves) the card of his choice
> Does the reacting only gets the opportunity to play one card? or at
> this point the reacting meth declines to play/resolve?

Correct -Only one card then it goes back to the acting meth. This
process continues until the reacting meth declines to play anything -
then you move to the next phase.

> >"At every stage, the acting player always has the opportunity to play
> > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >the next card or effect. So after playing one effect, she may play
> > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >another and another."
> >^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Doesn't that contridict the above highlighted section of 6.4.1?

No

LSJ

Aug 4, 2003, 11:28:40 AM8/4/03
Andrew Daley wrote:

> James Coupe <ja...@zephyr.org.uk> wrote:
>>Andrew Daley <dal...@iinet.net.au> writes:
>>>So acting plays a card.. resolve it... acting resolves then defending.
>>>The defending can now play a card in response to the acting card...
>>>resolve it.. acting resolves then defending. This continues until both
>>>minions decline to play a card in that phase.
>>
>>No. The defending Methuselah does not get a chance to play a card in
>>response to another card (of the same timing phase) unless and until the
>>acting Methuselah ceases to hold control.
>
> I have I chosen poor wording. More accurate to say, the effect or
> card that the defending Meth wants to play. I was seeking

The wording was fine. The change in wording won't change James's response.

> clarification on 6.4.1. What does this mean? [note I have only
> inserted part of 6.4.1 as it is distinct from other text]
> "... As usual, the acting minion always gets first opportunity to use
> a card or effect before the opposing minion at every stage of combat."

The acting minion gets to play first.
That isn't to say that they're taking turns playing effects, though.
The acting minion always plays next.
No one else plays until the acting minion passes.
If everyone else passes as well, then move on.
If anyone fails to pass (i.e., anyone plays a card or effect), then
the acting minion plays next.

>>Acting Methuselah plays (and resolves) the card of his choice
>>Acting Methuselah plays (and resolves) the card of his choice
>>Acting Methuselah plays (and resolves) the card of his choice
>>... (Repeat until bored)
>>Acting Methuselah plays (and resolves) the card of his choice
>>Acting Methuselah declines to play (and resolve) a card of his choice
>>Control passes to reacting Methuselah
>>Reacting Methuselah plays (and resolves) the card of his choice
>
> Does the reacting only gets the opportunity to play one card? or at

Yes.

> this point the reacting meth declines to play/resolve?

No. Once he played an effect, the acting Meth plays next.
The acting Meth always "plays next" after any play.

>>Acting Methuselah regains opportunity to play
>>Acting Methuselah plays (and resolves) the card of his choice
>>Acting Methuselah plays (and resolves) the card of his choice
>>Acting Methuselah plays (and resolves) the card of his choice
>>Acting Methuselah declines to play (and resolve) a card of his choice
>>Reacting Methuselah declines to play (and resolve) a card of his choice
>>
>>Timing phase ends
>>It does *not* go "Acting 1 card, Reacting 1 card, Acting 1 card,
>>Reacting 1 card".
>>
>>"At every stage, the acting player always has the opportunity to play
>>the next card or effect. So after playing one effect, she may play
>>another and another."
>
> Doesn't that contridict the above highlighted section of 6.4.1?

No. 6.4.1. says the acting Meth goes first. This concurs.

LSJ

Aug 4, 2003, 11:29:24 AM8/4/03