The Embrace, Shambling Hordes, Posession

Hollowboy

Jan 14, 2002, 10:02:08 PM1/14/02
Hi all,

I looked for an existing post that answered this, but no luck...

It's about what a copy of The Embrace in your ash heap "remembers"

Some analogous rules:

A vampire "remembers" whether or not it was burned from a controlled /
uncontrolled status (for Daemonic Posession).

When Banishment is called on an an Embrace, it is treated like any
other vampire, and it keeps it's skill cards.

A vampire that was burned without having been in play (eg. by
Goodnight Sweet Prince) can be retrieved with Possession.

A discarded Mummy does not return to your Library (it's card text
doesn't kick in), but it's card text does count once it is there - it
is an ally in your ash heap, and could be burned when recruiting a
Shambling Horde.

What I am curious about is whether a copy of The Embrace "remembers"
anything when burned from play, and is a burned Embrace any different
from a discarded Embrace.

An Embrace in play is a vampire.
An Embrace that gets banished is a vampire
An Embrace that gets burned is a ?
An Embrace that gets discarded is a ?

Specific situations being:

a) Say I have a mad deck where Sheldon busily assembles an army or
weenies... with guest star Pochtli there to pick up the pieces.
Sheldon plays The Embrace (Fortitude).

The embrace Plays Force of Will, adds Day Operation, and burns
horribly.

Now, could Pochtli posess this baby back into play? Does the dead baby
remember that it was once a vampire, or when it burns, is it merely a
library card?

...and if I posess it back into play, does it still have a skill card
on it?

To put this last bit another way, it was a 2-capacity vampire when it
burned, is it still a 2 capacity vampire when (if) it returns?

I am kinda hoping that it would remember everything, otherwise Pochtli
would have to fetch it back, to be embraced all over again - as the
ugliest, most tattered vampire ever. Even for a Nosferatu.

b) If, after this Embrace is burned, I recruit a Shambling Horde, can
I remove the burned Embrace from the game to satisfy the requirements
of the Horde? (Urg, another porn reference, if your brain is as grotty
as mine).

c) If an embrace in my ashheap *does* count as a vampire, could
Pochtli (or Summon Soul, or whatever) fetch it (and make it turn back
into a library card), or would it be an ineligible target for
retrieval?

d) If I simply discard an Embrace, can I posess it back into play?

e) If I discard an Embrace, can it be burned when recruiting a
Shambling Horde?

LSJ

Jan 15, 2002, 9:03:09 AM1/15/02
Hollowboy wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I looked for an existing post that answered this, but no luck...
>
> It's about what a copy of The Embrace in your ash heap "remembers"

A: Nothing (except possibly how and when it was burned).

> Some analogous rules:
>
> A vampire "remembers" whether or not it was burned from a controlled /
> uncontrolled status (for Daemonic Posession).
>
> When Banishment is called on an an Embrace, it is treated like any
> other vampire, and it keeps it's skill cards.
>
> A vampire that was burned without having been in play (eg. by
> Goodnight Sweet Prince) can be retrieved with Possession.
>
> A discarded Mummy does not return to your Library (it's card text
> doesn't kick in), but it's card text does count once it is there - it
> is an ally in your ash heap, and could be burned when recruiting a
> Shambling Horde.
>
> What I am curious about is whether a copy of The Embrace "remembers"
> anything when burned from play, and is a burned Embrace any different
> from a discarded Embrace.
>
> An Embrace in play is a vampire.
> An Embrace that gets banished is a vampire
> An Embrace that gets burned is a ?

Action card in the ash heap.

> An Embrace that gets discarded is a ?

Action card in the ash heap.

> Specific situations being:
>
> a) Say I have a mad deck where Sheldon busily assembles an army or
> weenies... with guest star Pochtli there to pick up the pieces.
> Sheldon plays The Embrace (Fortitude).
>
> The embrace Plays Force of Will, adds Day Operation, and burns
> horribly.
>
> Now, could Pochtli posess this baby back into play? Does the dead baby
> remember that it was once a vampire, or when it burns, is it merely a
> library card?

It is merely an action card, not suitable for Possession.

> ...and if I posess it back into play, does it still have a skill card
> on it?

Moot, but no, as always.

> To put this last bit another way, it was a 2-capacity vampire when it
> burned, is it still a 2 capacity vampire when (if) it returns?

Moot, but no, as always.

> I am kinda hoping that it would remember everything, otherwise Pochtli
> would have to fetch it back, to be embraced all over again - as the
> ugliest, most tattered vampire ever. Even for a Nosferatu.
>
> b) If, after this Embrace is burned, I recruit a Shambling Horde, can
> I remove the burned Embrace from the game to satisfy the requirements
> of the Horde? (Urg, another porn reference, if your brain is as grotty
> as mine).

No, since it is not a minion.

> c) If an embrace in my ashheap *does* count as a vampire, could
> Pochtli (or Summon Soul, or whatever) fetch it (and make it turn back
> into a library card), or would it be an ineligible target for
> retrieval?

Moot.

> d) If I simply discard an Embrace, can I posess it back into play?

No.

> e) If I discard an Embrace, can it be burned when recruiting a
> Shambling Horde?

No.

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

Hollowboy

Jan 16, 2002, 6:29:32 PM1/16/02
> > I looked for an existing post that answered this, but no luck...
> >
> > It's about what a copy of The Embrace in your ash heap "remembers"
>
> A: Nothing (except possibly how and when it was burned).

> > What I am curious about is whether a copy of The Embrace "remembers"

> > anything when burned from play, and is a burned Embrace any different
> > from a discarded Embrace.
> >
> > An Embrace in play is a vampire.
> > An Embrace that gets banished is a vampire
> > An Embrace that gets burned is a ?
>
> Action card in the ash heap.
>
> > An Embrace that gets discarded is a ?
>
> Action card in the ash heap.

Curses, I just found other posts that were on this topic - I must have
spelled it "posession" not "possession" in my search. Thanks LSJ for
answering this query for the severalth time.

Just out of curiosity, since:

Embrace in play is a minion

Embrace that is burned is not a minion,

...if you burn someone's embrace, then try to Daemonically Possess it,
what happens?

Daemonic Possession

Only usable when a minion controlled by another Methuselah has been
burned since your last turn. Move that minion from his or her owner's
ash heap to your ready region, put 1 blood or life from the blood bank
on the minon and tap the minion. You now control the minion.

LSJ

Jan 16, 2002, 8:42:03 PM1/16/02
Hollowboy wrote:
> Just out of curiosity, since:
>
> Embrace in play is a minion
>
> Embrace that is burned is not a minion,
>
> ...if you burn someone's embrace, then try to Daemonically Possess it,
> what happens?

Illegal, since it's not a suitable target ("minion ... from ash heap" )