Alastor - LSJ

loca...@hotmail.de

Apr 15, 2009, 4:11:06 AM4/15/09
Hi!

1. The card Alastor says, that a vampire may have only one Alastor.
However somebody told me, that you can play another Alastor to let
that vampire get another equipment for half the price. He or she will
not get the second Alastor, but he or she will get that equipment. Is
that right?

2. Lets say Dmitra Ilyanova (Brujah Justicar) calls an Alastor. Can
she search for an Ankara Citadel and use it? Generally: do I have to
meet any requirements with Alastor?

Thanks!

Martin

Blooded Sand

Apr 15, 2009, 4:40:09 AM4/15/09

Generally if querying a card it is better if you inlcude the relevant
card text from White Wolf or one of the apps that use the
official .csv file.

Card text:
Alastor
Political Action
Requires a justicar or Inner Circle member.
Choose a ready Camarilla vampire. If this referendum is successful,
search your library for an equipment card and place this card and the
equipment on the chosen vampire. Pay half the cost (round down) of the
equipment. This vampire may enter combat with any vampire controlled
by another Methuselah as a +1 stealth (D) action. This vampire cannot
commit diablerie. A vampire may have only one Alastor.

Place this card AND the equipment. This would seem to mean to me that
you have to place both, which means if you ccannot place one you
cannot place the other.

Place means the equipment is not played, thus Dmitra could in fact
fetch the Ankara Citadel. Also note that as it is placed, not
equipped, you can put a helicopter on the minion (for 1 pool) and it
will come into play untapped.

LSJ

Apr 15, 2009, 6:42:54 AM4/15/09
Blooded Sand wrote:
>> 1. The card Alastor says, that a vampire may have only one Alastor.
>> However somebody told me, that you can play another Alastor to let
>> that vampire get another equipment for half the price. He or she will
>> not get the second Alastor, but he or she will get that equipment. Is
>> that right?

> Place this card AND the equipment. This would seem to mean to me that

> you have to place both, which means if you ccannot place one you
> cannot place the other.

Correct, but not because of the "and", rather by the general rule that you
cannot attempt something you cannot do.

Similarly, Lucian cannot attempt to steal a Hawg if he already has a Sport Bike.

>> 2. Lets say Dmitra Ilyanova (Brujah Justicar) calls an Alastor. Can
>> she search for an Ankara Citadel and use it? Generally: do I have to
>> meet any requirements with Alastor?

> Place means the equipment is not played, thus Dmitra could in fact

> fetch the Ankara Citadel. Also note that as it is placed, not
> equipped, you can put a helicopter on the minion (for 1 pool) and it
> will come into play untapped.

Correct.

thrill_k...@yahoo.com

Apr 15, 2009, 8:16:11 AM4/15/09
I am intrigued by this. Then Enkidu cannot diablerise someone, who has
equipment? Or he cannot attempt to steal a weapon via Fast hands?

LSJ

Apr 15, 2009, 8:17:56 AM4/15/09
thrill_k...@yahoo.com wrote:
> I am intrigued by this. Then Enkidu cannot diablerise someone, who has
> equipment?

He can. But he cannot take the equipment.

Similarly Vampire A can diablerize someone who has equipment and choose not to
take the equipment.

> Or he cannot attempt to steal a weapon via Fast hands?

This he cannot attempt, correct.

thrill_k...@yahoo.com

May 7, 2009, 10:13:18 AM5/7/09
On ápr. 15, 14:17, LSJ <vtes...@white-wolf.com> wrote:

Thank you.
Also a question emerged in the hungarian NC Miskolc round:
Can an Alastor use its newly fetched helicopter to untap at the end of
the Alastor political action?
Some players voted no, because the effects of the referendum take
place after the "freak drive/helicopter/forced march" step, so he
receives the Heli too late. Although, I don't share this opinion.

Thank you again,
Péter Korsós

floppyzedolfin

May 7, 2009, 10:33:28 AM5/7/09
On May 7, 4:13 pm, thrill_kill_c...@yahoo.com wrote:
> Also a question emerged in the hungarian NC Miskolc round:
> Can an Alastor use its newly fetched helicopter to untap at the end of
> the Alastor political action?
> Some players voted no, because the effects of the referendum take
> place after the "freak drive/helicopter/forced march" step, so he
> receives the Heli too late. Although, I don't share this opinion.
>
> Thank you again,
> Péter Korsós

The Helicopter wasn't equipped, it was placed on the vampire. So it is
not tapped, and can be used to untap at the end of the Alastor action.
"Alastor Helicopter author:LSJ" :
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/b621991b7a0a0ab3

Salem

May 8, 2009, 9:39:06 AM5/8/09
thrill_k...@yahoo.com wrote:

> Thank you.
> Also a question emerged in the hungarian NC Miskolc round:
> Can an Alastor use its newly fetched helicopter to untap at the end of
> the Alastor political action?
> Some players voted no, because the effects of the referendum take
> place after the "freak drive/helicopter/forced march" step,

well this is wrong for a start. that's like saying a methuselah doesn't
lose pool for a bleed until after the vampire freak drives.
apply the effects of the referendum first. then move on to stuff that
happens 'at the end of an action', 'after a successful action', etc.

> so he
> receives the Heli too late. Although, I don't share this opinion.

not that it matters though, right? since they could just immediately
untap after the action anyway, since they'd then have the first impulse
to use an effect, being the acting player. Unless there's a reason you'd
want to be untapped _in_ the end of the action....?

--
salem
(replace 'hotmail' with 'gmail' to email)

jcrossn...@gmail.com

May 8, 2009, 1:20:40 PM5/8/09
thrill_kill wrote:
> Also a question emerged in the hungarian NC Miskolc round:
> Can an Alastor use its newly fetched helicopter to untap at the end of
> the Alastor political action?
> Some players voted no, because the effects of the referendum take
> place after the "freak drive/helicopter/forced march" step, so he
> receives the Heli too late. Although, I don't share this opinion.

Why was anyone voting about a ruling? V:TES rules are not established
democratically. There really is a right answer to every rules
question, not subject to majority opinion.

Also, as pointed out before, you guys seem to have your timing
backwards. Freak Drive and the like are all very explicit in that they
occur after resolution, not before.

LSJ

May 8, 2009, 1:29:19 PM5/8/09
jcrossn...@gmail.com wrote:
> thrill_kill wrote:
>> Also a question emerged in the hungarian NC Miskolc round:
>> Can an Alastor use its newly fetched helicopter to untap at the end of
>> the Alastor political action?
>> Some players voted no, because the effects of the referendum take
>> place after the "freak drive/helicopter/forced march" step, so he
>> receives the Heli too late. Although, I don't share this opinion.
>
> Why was anyone voting about a ruling? V:TES rules are not established
> democratically. There really is a right answer to every rules
> question, not subject to majority opinion.

Probably because English isn't the native language in Hungary. I read the above
as "some players argued that the official ruling is such-and-such, but I don't
agree, and I'm asking on this newsgroup for confirmation."

James Coupe

May 8, 2009, 5:09:27 PM5/8/09
jcrossn...@gmail.com wrote:
>Why was anyone voting about a ruling? V:TES rules are not established
>democratically. There really is a right answer to every rules
>question, not subject to majority opinion.

If you don't know - and can't find - an answer to a question during a
casual game, most players need to come to some way of handling the
problem. (And agreeing to find out the real answer later.)

In such a situation, various players expressing their opinion on what
they think is right is perfectly normal.

--
James Coupe
PGP Key: 0x5D623D5D YOU ARE IN ERROR.

thrill_k...@yahoo.com

May 12, 2009, 5:42:24 AM5/12/09
Thank you for your answers and yes, by "voted no" I meant "agreed to
not be able to use the helicopter". However, the Head Judge ruled he
can use it.

Péter Korsós