psyche/rotschreck Q

John P.

Feb 21, 2003, 11:16:56 AM2/21/03
Okay,

Psyche will prevent the minion being rotschrecked from going to torpor.
Does that card go on the victim still or is it totally cancelled?

-JTP

LSJ

Feb 21, 2003, 1:06:40 PM2/21/03

It goes on the victim.

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

Sacha

Feb 21, 2003, 6:10:27 PM2/21/03
"John P." <verg...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<xhs5a.47247$7_.2...@news1.mts.net>...

Why do you ask John?

;P

Pc.

charles lechasseur

Feb 25, 2003, 12:04:03 AM2/25/03
"LSJ" <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote in message

> John P. wrote:
> > Okay,
> >
> > Psyche will prevent the minion being rotschrecked from going to torpor.
> > Does that card go on the victim still or is it totally cancelled?
>
> It goes on the victim.

but the minion will untap at the next untap phase, and the card will never
be burned, right? (since those are all effects that happen after combat
ends)

LSJ

Feb 25, 2003, 7:45:03 AM2/25/03
charles lechasseur wrote:
> but the minion will untap at the next untap phase, and the card will never
> be burned, right? (since those are all effects that happen after combat
> ends)

No. Those are two effects of the card being in play. Contrast with the
"go to torpor" effect of the play of the card. (e.g., if you rescue
the victim, he doesn't immediately go to torpor just for having the
card).

The vampire with the card doesn't untap as normal. The Rotschreck is burned
during the vampire's next untap phase.

henrik ericsson

Feb 25, 2003, 1:44:27 PM2/25/03
LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote in message news:<3E5B654...@white-wolf.com>...

> charles lechasseur wrote:
> > but the minion will untap at the next untap phase, and the card will never
> > be burned, right? (since those are all effects that happen after combat
> > ends)
>
> No. Those are two effects of the card being in play. Contrast with the
> "go to torpor" effect of the play of the card. (e.g., if you rescue
> the victim, he doesn't immediately go to torpor just for having the
> card).
>
> The vampire with the card doesn't untap as normal. The Rotschreck is burned
> during the vampire's next untap phase.

A question that comes to my mind is why only the go to torpor effect
is cancelled by the Psyche!, and not all of the effects?

LSJ

Feb 25, 2003, 2:00:06 PM2/25/03

See the answer to exactly that above.

Rotschreck's effect by play:
1) Put on target.
2) End combat.
3) Send target to torpor.

If 2) doesn't occur or gets interrupted, 3) is lost.

Additionally, Rotschreck has a certain effect as a card in play:
*) This vampire doesn't untap as normal.
*) This card is burned during the vampire's untap phase.

Since the card is in play (the "put me into play" effect came before the
end combat effect), it has the effect of being in play.

Jozxyqk

Feb 25, 2003, 2:01:19 PM2/25/03

*The vampire with this card* doesn't untap as normal.
The vampire still has the card even if combat continues through Psyche!

charles lechasseur

Feb 25, 2003, 5:33:35 PM2/25/03

> henrik ericsson wrote:
> > A question that comes to my mind is why only the go to torpor effect
> > is cancelled by the Psyche!, and not all of the effects?
>
> See the answer to exactly that above.
>
> Rotschreck's effect by play:
> 1) Put on target.
> 2) End combat.
> 3) Send target to torpor.
>
> If 2) doesn't occur or gets interrupted, 3) is lost.
>
> Additionally, Rotschreck has a certain effect as a card in play:
> *) This vampire doesn't untap as normal.
> *) This card is burned during the vampire's untap phase.
>
> Since the card is in play (the "put me into play" effect came before the
> end combat effect), it has the effect of being in play.
>
> --
> LSJ (vte...@white-wolf.com) V:TES Net.Rep for White Wolf, Inc.
> Links to V:TES news, rules, cards, utilities, and tournament calendar:
> http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

just for the sake of clarity, maybe it would be better to have a slight
errata to the Rotschreck text? proposed clarified text (emphasis mine):

"Put this card on a vampire when an opposing minion attempts to inflict
aggravated damage on him or her, whether the damage would be successfully
inflicted or not. Combat ends. This vampire is tapped and sent to torpor.
WHILE THIS CARD REMAINS ON THIS VAMPIRE, {he or she} does not untap as
normal. During this vampire's next untap phase, burn this card."

henrik ericsson

Feb 25, 2003, 7:29:23 PM2/25/03
LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote in message news:<3E5BBD36...@white-wolf.com>...

> henrik ericsson wrote:
> > LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote in message news:<3E5B654...@white-wolf.com>...
> >>charles lechasseur wrote:
[snip]

> See the answer to exactly that above.
>
> Rotschreck's effect by play:
> 1) Put on target.
> 2) End combat.
> 3) Send target to torpor.
>
> If 2) doesn't occur or gets interrupted, 3) is lost.
>
> Additionally, Rotschreck has a certain effect as a card in play:
> *) This vampire doesn't untap as normal.
> *) This card is burned during the vampire's untap phase.
>
> Since the card is in play (the "put me into play" effect came before the
> end combat effect), it has the effect of being in play.

Sorry. My mistake...
I read the card text for the Jyhad version, where the order of the
effects is different (combat ends, then thee card is put on the
vampire), which is why I thought it was strange.

mi...@brucehall250.anu.edu.au

Feb 26, 2003, 5:17:12 PM2/26/03

So Rotschreck can be used as a damage prevention with untap penality?

eg you use your own Rotchreck to stop all damage both Agg and Normal and
the Psyche to continue combat.

LSJ

Feb 27, 2003, 7:41:39 AM2/27/03
mi...@brucehall250.anu.edu.au wrote:
> So Rotschreck can be used as a damage prevention with untap penality?
>
> eg you use your own Rotchreck to stop all damage both Agg and Normal and
> the Psyche to continue combat.

Yes, if by "damage prevention" you mean "damage avoidance for both
combatants".