[LSJ] Sunset Strip

salem

Dec 2, 2003, 6:53:02 AM12/2/03
How early can you tap Sunset Strip to reduce the cost of a mortal ally
by 1?

for example:
cicatriz has 1 blood. it wants to get a courier. you can't attempt an
action you can't afford. cicatriz can't afford the courier. but can
you tap the sunset strip as you announce the action, or something, to
be able to attempt (and then succeed at, as the cost is 1 less) the
action?

we played that you couldn't do this. my reasoning was before you
attempt the action, there is no recruit ally action to reduce the cost
of. you can't even start the action to get to the point where you
would be able to tap the sunset strip, because you can't attempt an
action you can't pay the cost of.

thanks,

salem
domain:canberra http://www.geocities.com/salem_christ.geo/vtes.htm

LSJ

Dec 2, 2003, 8:09:23 AM12/2/03
salem wrote:
> How early can you tap Sunset Strip to reduce the cost of a mortal ally
> by 1?
>
> for example:
> cicatriz has 1 blood. it wants to get a courier. you can't attempt an
> action you can't afford. cicatriz can't afford the courier. but can
> you tap the sunset strip as you announce the action, or something, to
> be able to attempt (and then succeed at, as the cost is 1 less) the
> action?

Yes. The most frequent example of this effect is Masochism, but Succulent
Vitae and then Soul of the Earth are a distant second and third, I imagine.

Similarly, a vampire who had played Inner Essence could use the effect
to reduce the cost of a combat card down to something he could afford
to pay.

Jack (Torrance Circle) works the same way, but isn't really interesting
since if he reduction allowed you to play the card that you couldn't
otherwise play, you'd still be ousted by playing the card (since the
reduction of one would just mean that you would pay all your pool
instead of more than all of your pool).

> we played that you couldn't do this. my reasoning was before you
> attempt the action, there is no recruit ally action to reduce the cost
> of. you can't even start the action to get to the point where you
> would be able to tap the sunset strip, because you can't attempt an
> action you can't pay the cost of.

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

Kamel SENNI

Dec 3, 2003, 6:40:28 AM12/3/03
LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote in message news:<3FCC8F03...@white-wolf.com>...

> salem wrote:
> > How early can you tap Sunset Strip to reduce the cost of a mortal ally
> > by 1?
> >
> > for example:
> > cicatriz has 1 blood. it wants to get a courier. you can't attempt an
> > action you can't afford. cicatriz can't afford the courier. but can
> > you tap the sunset strip as you announce the action, or something, to
> > be able to attempt (and then succeed at, as the cost is 1 less) the
> > action?
>
> Yes. The most frequent example of this effect is Masochism, but Succulent
> Vitae and then Soul of the Earth are a distant second and third, I imagine.
>
> Similarly, a vampire who had played Inner Essence could use the effect
> to reduce the cost of a combat card down to something he could afford
> to pay.
>
> Jack (Torrance Circle) works the same way, but isn't really interesting
> since if he reduction allowed you to play the card that you couldn't
> otherwise play, you'd still be ousted by playing the card (since the
> reduction of one would just mean that you would pay all your pool
> instead of more than all of your pool).

I'm not sure to understand that example :
If i'm at one pool, and i want to play communal haven cathedral
(location that cost one pool, but alamut, elder library, market
square, mausoleum, labyrinth etc, are the same case)), can i tap jack
to pay 0, and put the cathedral into play ?
Is there a rule that you cannot play a master, when the cost of this
master ousts you ?
KS.

salem

Dec 3, 2003, 7:45:42 AM12/3/03
On 3 Dec 2003 03:40:28 -0800, kamel...@yvelines.pref.gouv.fr (Kamel
SENNI) scrawled:

the example is: say you are at 1 pool, and you want to play a hunting
ground (2 pool). normally you wouldn't be allowed to even try and play
the card as you can't afford it's cost.

however, with jack, you can reduce it's cost by 1, thus allowing you
to play it for 1 pool. and you're out.

if, after Jack's reduction, you could afford to play a location and
still be in the game, you would have been able to afford it even
without jack, and thus wouldn't need to 'pre-empt' the playing of the
card with jack's ability to be able to legally play the card.

so it's not a very useful example. although i feel it is interesting.

Kamel SENNI

Dec 4, 2003, 7:58:37 AM12/4/03
salem <salem_ch...@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<bfmrsvo34cu1fmsvf...@4ax.com>...

Aggree with you.
Except on the locations i have named, they cost one pool, and the
general feelings about the interest of jack is not true.
Semantic problem on "you couldn't pay": if it includes the payment of
a card that oust you, it's not true.
if "could not" doesn't include your own oust, then, LSJ is one hundred
per cent true.
KS.
PS : My god !! I cant' believe that !! After 3 years on google groups,
it's my first stupid-discussions-on-the-meaning-of-words-used !!!
I apologize myself, but's it's a great day for me !!! (rolling on the
floor and so on).
One of the first thread i've read was on defintion of "skirmishes" :
quotes from encyclopedia britannica and so on. I have tears in my eyes
when i recalled that moment... i was young, oh, so young... i have
only 2 direct intervention at that moment... soob...
(dont' be harassed by my french humor, it's very special...).

LSJ

Dec 4, 2003, 8:07:41 AM12/4/03
Kamel SENNI wrote:
> Semantic problem on "you couldn't pay": if it includes the payment of
> a card that oust you, it's not true.
> if "could not" doesn't include your own oust, then, LSJ is one hundred
> per cent true.

You "can play" a card even if the payment of the cost would oust you.

You "can not play" a card whose cost you cannot afford (i.e., whose
pool cost is strictly greater than your pool).