LSJ: Rules Questions

davey! hathorn

Aug 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/22/98
Can I use superior Bonding to give a non-bleed action +1 stealth?

If I use an action modifier such as Lost in Crowds to give a vampire +1
stealth on, say, an 'equip' action, and then untap that vampire using
Freak Drive, and then perform a Bleed action, does the vampire still
have +1 stealth?

Similarly, if my opponent plays a reaction card for +1 intercept, such
as Enhanced Senses, attempts to block my equip action, and fails, does
the vampire with enhanced senses still have +1 intercept for the rest of
the turn?

-davey!

James Hamblin

Aug 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/22/98
davey! hathorn wrote:

> Can I use superior Bonding to give a non-bleed action +1 stealth?

No, since you can't give +1 bleed to a non-bleed action.

> If I use an action modifier such as Lost in Crowds to give a vampire +1
> stealth on, say, an 'equip' action, and then untap that vampire using
> Freak Drive, and then perform a Bleed action, does the vampire still
> have +1 stealth?

No. The first action ends before the second action starts, and all
action modifiers played on one action discontinue their effects when
that action ends.

> Similarly, if my opponent plays a reaction card for +1 intercept, such
> as Enhanced Senses, attempts to block my equip action, and fails, does
> the vampire with enhanced senses still have +1 intercept for the rest of
> the turn?

No, for the same reason as above. Bonuses gained from reaction cards
and action modifier cards only last for the current action.

James
--
James Hamblin
ham...@math.wisc.edu

V:EKN FAQ Maintainer
http://www.math.wisc.edu/~hamblin/faq.html

"We _do_ kill people... that's sort of our
raison d'etre" -- Spike

Jasper Phillips

Aug 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/22/98
In article <35DEDB40...@math.wisc.edu>,

James Hamblin <ham...@math.wisc.edu> wrote:
>davey! hathorn wrote:
>>
>> Can I use superior Bonding to give a non-bleed action +1 stealth?
>
>No, since you can't give +1 bleed to a non-bleed action.

D'oh! Really? I thought it simply increased the base bleed of the given
vampire, not the action itself...

And anyway, is there somewhere in the rules it actually says you can't
give +1 bleed to a non-bleed action?

Certainly changes the way we've been playing around here, although
strangely I've never made any decks with bonding.

--
/\ Jasper Phillips
/VVVVVVVVVVVVVV|~"~"~"~"~"~"----------........____ jaz

Lupus Australis

Aug 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/22/98
On Sat, 22 Aug 1998, davey! hathorn wrote:

> Can I use superior Bonding to give a non-bleed action +1 stealth?

No.

> If I use an action modifier such as Lost in Crowds to give a vampire +1
> stealth on, say, an 'equip' action, and then untap that vampire using
> Freak Drive, and then perform a Bleed action, does the vampire still
> have +1 stealth?

No. Action modidifiers modify the current action, not the vampire. Even
if the acting vampire changes, via Mask of 1000 Faces, the action modifier
will remain in effect.

> Similarly, if my opponent plays a reaction card for +1 intercept, such
> as Enhanced Senses, attempts to block my equip action, and fails, does
> the vampire with enhanced senses still have +1 intercept for the rest of
> the turn?

No. Reaction cards modify the current action of another minion.

Lupus Australis
____ ____
\ \----/ /
|()__()|
__\ __ /__
/ __\()/__ \
|/ \==/ \|
| || |

James Hamblin

Aug 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/22/98
Jasper Phillips wrote:

> In article <35DEDB40...@math.wisc.edu>,
> James Hamblin <ham...@math.wisc.edu> wrote:
> >davey! hathorn wrote:
> >>
> >> Can I use superior Bonding to give a non-bleed action +1 stealth?
> >
> >No, since you can't give +1 bleed to a non-bleed action.
>
> D'oh! Really? I thought it simply increased the base bleed of the given
> vampire, not the action itself...
>
> And anyway, is there somewhere in the rules it actually says you can't
> give +1 bleed to a non-bleed action?
>
> Certainly changes the way we've been playing around here, although
> strangely I've never made any decks with bonding.

Well, I am 100% certain that this is the correct rule, but poking around
in LSJ's site, I couldn't find it. LSJ?

In any case, after confirmation from LSJ, I'll put this in the FAQ,
since this question seems to come up periodically.

Lupus Australis

Aug 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/22/98
On Sat, 22 Aug 1998, James Hamblin wrote:

> Jasper Phillips wrote:
> >
> > And anyway, is there somewhere in the rules it actually says you can't
> > give +1 bleed to a non-bleed action?
>

> Well, I am 100% certain that this is the correct rule, but poking around
> in LSJ's site, I couldn't find it. LSJ?

Find the Rules Outline (V:tES Complete Rules Reference (Version 2.12)).

At the end of Section III (How to Perform Actions):

"Only Action Modifiers appropriate to the Action may be played. eg., you
may not use Bonding on a non-Bleed Action. [RTR]"

Jasper Phillips

Aug 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/22/98
In article <Pine.SUN.3.96.980822152943.10820A-100000@amanda>,

Lupus Australis <jbwh...@dorsai.org> wrote:
>On Sat, 22 Aug 1998, James Hamblin wrote:
>
>> Jasper Phillips wrote:
>> >
>> > And anyway, is there somewhere in the rules it actually says you can't
>> > give +1 bleed to a non-bleed action?
>>
>> Well, I am 100% certain that this is the correct rule, but poking around
>> in LSJ's site, I couldn't find it. LSJ?
>
>Find the Rules Outline (V:tES Complete Rules Reference (Version 2.12)).
>
>At the end of Section III (How to Perform Actions):
>
>"Only Action Modifiers appropriate to the Action may be played. eg., you
>may not use Bonding on a non-Bleed Action. [RTR]"

Well, if it's ruled upon specifically, that's rather hard to argue.
Still, we'd just always assumed that it _was_ appropiate if you
need more stealth.

LSJ

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98
davey! hathorn wrote:

> Can I use superior Bonding to give a non-bleed action +1 stealth?

No. You cannot play bleed modifiers on non-bleed actions.

> If I use an action modifier such as Lost in Crowds to give a vampire +1
> stealth on, say, an 'equip' action, and then untap that vampire using
> Freak Drive, and then perform a Bleed action, does the vampire still
> have +1 stealth?

No. Action modifiers apply to the current action only.

> Similarly, if my opponent plays a reaction card for +1 intercept, such
> as Enhanced Senses, attempts to block my equip action, and fails, does
> the vampire with enhanced senses still have +1 intercept for the rest of
> the turn?

No. Reaction cards apply to the current action only.

--
L. Scott Johnson (vte...@wizards.com) VTES Net.Rep for Wizards of the Coast.
Searchable database of official card text, errata, and rulings: