(LSJ) Vidal Jarbeaux + Walk through Arcadia

eRol

Oct 13, 2010, 5:41:12 AM10/13/10
Does Vidal (or Mata Hari) get the damage if the flipcoin comes up
tail?

My thoughts were that he wouldnt get the damage because he only met
the requirements to play the card, but is no Malkavian Antitribu. But
I could stand corrected.

Walk through Arcadia
Type: Action Modifier
Requires: Malkavian antitribu
Cost: 1 blood
Flip a coin. If it comes up heads, this action is unblockable. If it
comes up tails, the Malkavian antitribu takes one damage. This damage
is not preventable.

Vidal Jarbeaux
Clan: Toreador (group 5)
Capacity: 8
Disciplines: PRE aus cel obf pot
Camarilla: Vidal can meet the clan, sect, or non-infernal vampire
trait (e.g., anarch) requirement to play any card. He can meet a given
requirement only once each game. +1 bleed.

floppyzedolfin

Oct 13, 2010, 7:23:51 AM10/13/10

Yes. They fake the requirement until the action modified is resolved.
There's a ruling about Raking Talons played by Mata Hari (she gets agg
hand strikes for the whole combat) that I can't find that shows it
works this way.

floppyzedolfin

Oct 13, 2010, 8:14:01 AM10/13/10

Err... "until the action modifieR is resolved", of course.

James Coupe

Oct 13, 2010, 8:11:42 AM10/13/10
floppyzedolfin <floppyz...@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Oct 13, 11:41�am, eRol <der.e...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Does Vidal (or Mata Hari) get the damage if the flipcoin comes up
>> tail?
>
>Yes. They fake the requirement until the action modified is resolved.
>There's a ruling about Raking Talons played by Mata Hari (she gets agg
>hand strikes for the whole combat) that I can't find that shows it
>works this way.

Not quite that way.

When you fake a requirement ("play X as if..."), that specific card sees
you as that requirement for:

- playing the card
- resolving the card
- a lingering effect that does NOT depend on the card being in play.

It doesn't see you as being that requirement for effects that depend on
the card going in play. ("The X with this card..." and similar.)

http://www.thelasombra.com/rules/RTR7-7-7.txt

And note that you don't actually gain the faked requirement for the
purpose of other cards. You don't actually have that discipline. You
haven't actually changed clans. Other effects/cards won't see you with
the faked requirement.

--
James Coupe
PGP Key: 0x5D623D5D YOU ARE IN ERROR.

LSJ

Oct 13, 2010, 8:33:40 AM10/13/10
On Oct 13, 7:23 am, floppyzedolfin <floppyzedol...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 13, 11:41 am, eRol <der.e...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>

> > Does Vidal (or Mata Hari) get the damage if the flipcoin comes up
> > tail?
>
> > My thoughts were that he wouldnt get the damage because he only met
> > the requirements to play the card, but is no Malkavian Antitribu. But
> > I could stand corrected.

He takes the damage, precisely because he is playing the card as a
Malk antitribu (and the damage is part of the effect of playing the
card).

> > Walk through Arcadia
> > Type: Action Modifier
> > Requires: Malkavian antitribu
> > Cost: 1 blood
> > Flip a coin. If it comes up heads, this action is unblockable. If it
> > comes up tails, the Malkavian antitribu takes one damage. This damage
> > is not preventable.
>
> > Vidal Jarbeaux
> > Clan: Toreador (group 5)
> > Capacity: 8
> > Disciplines: PRE aus cel obf pot
> > Camarilla: Vidal can meet the clan, sect, or non-infernal vampire
> > trait (e.g., anarch) requirement to play any card. He can meet a given
> > requirement only once each game. +1 bleed.
>
> Yes. They fake the requirement until the action modified is resolved.

Not quite.

He fakes the requirement for the play of that card.

> There's a ruling about Raking Talons played by Mata Hari (she gets agg
> hand strikes for the whole combat) that I can't find that shows it
> works this way.

Raking's agg damage is a "lingering" effect, so not quite parallel to
Walk.

It used to be that the lingering effects wouldn't apply to the faker.

That changed in RTR 7/7/7
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/f5ba0a7b96c43ff7

The RFD regarding that change is around here:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/03936c6504510308

esp. in
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/8ba90dfb7aefa979