[DECK] Damn those shifty Oxonians

Darky

Apr 6, 2003, 12:52:31 PM4/6/03
General Idea: Use Oxford University before calling terms on parity
shift to lower your pool to the level you need it to be.

The deck isn't tuned yet, or adjusted to metagame, and still needs a
lot of work. The basic principle seems to work pretty good though.
I dropped the Al's Army Apparatus-Concealed Guns Idea, threw some
combat together, could be improved a lot.

Crypt:
3x Anson
1x Tatiana Romanova
1x Victoria Ash
2x Rake
1x Kallista, Master Sculptor
2x Volker, The Puppet Prince
1x Brachah
1x Felicia Mostrom

Library:

Masters: (16)

3x Oxford University, England
4x Minion Tap
1x Presence
1x Antediluvian Awakening
4x Anarch Revolt
1x Art Museum
2x Blood Doll

Combat: (22)

8x Aura Reading
5x Staredown
3x Flash
6x Preternatural Evasion

Political Actions: (14)

7x Parity Shift
5x Kine Resources Contested
1x Brujah Justicar
1x Toreador Justicar

Action Modifiers: (11)

7x Voter Captivation
4x Bewitching Oration

Reactions: (13)

4x Second Tradition: Domain
5x Enhanced Senses
4x Forced Awakening

Total: (76)

Any comments are appreciated,
-Bram Vink

Tom,Mad&Co

Apr 6, 2003, 3:53:38 PM4/6/03

"Darky" <jja....@hccnet.nl> escribió en el mensaje

> General Idea: Use Oxford University before calling terms on parity
> shift to lower your pool to the level you need it to be.
>
> The deck isn't tuned yet, or adjusted to metagame, and still needs a
> lot of work. The basic principle seems to work pretty good though.
> I dropped the Al's Army Apparatus-Concealed Guns Idea, threw some
> combat together, could be improved a lot.

a few Delaying tactics will blow your pool to oblivion...

albert1642

Apr 6, 2003, 10:50:42 PM4/6/03
You know, i had an idea like this... With menele... During my untap, 2 blood
to an uncontrolled vampire... Gird minion blood to fill him up and get below
your prey's pool... Awe all the blood off him to make the parity shift work,
voter cap it to get him health again and gain 2 pool... Plus you get free
transfers. Since your crypt would be all 9 caps save menele, you'll be low on
pool anyhow...

>Crypt:
>3x Anson
>1x Tatiana Romanova
>1x Victoria Ash
>2x Rake
>1x Kallista, Master Sculptor
>2x Volker, The Puppet Prince
>1x Brachah
>1x Felicia Mostrom

You know, i had an idea like this... With menele... During my untap, 2 blood
to an uncontrolled vampire... Gird minion blood to fill him up and get below
your prey's pool... Awe all the blood off him to make the parity shift work,
voter cap it to get him health again and gain 2 pool... Plus you get 2 free
transfers. Since your crypt would be all 9 caps save menele, you'll be low on
pool anyhow... (Only if I had more Awes)

>Library:
>
>Masters: (16)
>
>3x Oxford University, England
>4x Minion Tap
>1x Presence
>1x Antediluvian Awakening
>4x Anarch Revolt
>1x Art Museum
>2x Blood Doll

No protected resources? your gonna have to keep you pool low to get the parity
shift working, so a heavy bleeder would kill yah... I'll add a information
highway just so you can transfer pool to vampires to keep yourself low...

>Combat: (22)
>
>8x Aura Reading
>5x Staredown
>3x Flash
>6x Preternatural Evasion

>Political Actions: (14)
>
>7x Parity Shift
>5x Kine Resources Contested
>1x Brujah Justicar
>1x Toreador Justicar

I think you need a few Dramatic Upheaval, so you can sit next to a player with
1 pool... =D

More votes... =D

>Action Modifiers: (11)
>
>7x Voter Captivation
>4x Bewitching Oration

More of these when you add more votes... =D

wolflord

Apr 7, 2003, 3:40:18 AM4/7/03
> >Any comments are appreciated,
> >-Bram Vink

Hi there,
Just a thought:
I might be mistaking, but if I'm right: you have to have a legal
target for your Parity Shift *before* you call the referendum. In
other words, if you're at 20 pool,and everybody else at the table is
at less than 20, you can't call the Shift, even if you can lower your
pool via the Oxford University.

Need someone to confirm this though..
Jo

Halcyan 2

Apr 7, 2003, 4:46:48 AM4/7/03
>Hi there,
>Just a thought:
>I might be mistaking, but if I'm right: you have to have a legal
>target for your Parity Shift *before* you call the referendum. In
>other words, if you're at 20 pool,and everybody else at the table is
>at less than 20, you can't call the Shift, even if you can lower your
>pool via the Oxford University.
>
>Need someone to confirm this though..

That is correct.

I suppose you can call a different vote before the Parity Shift in order to
lower your pool to the right level, though it's a bit more unwieldy.

Halcyan 2

hamdamcwa

Apr 7, 2003, 9:45:20 AM4/7/03
jja....@hccnet.nl (Darky) wrote in message news:<93148a54.03040...@posting.google.com>...

> General Idea: Use Oxford University before calling terms on parity
> shift to lower your pool to the level you need it to be.

It's Oxfordians. Not Oxonians.

Oxonians are people that like a meat stock product that comes in
cubes. Fact.

> The deck isn't tuned yet, or adjusted to metagame, and still needs a
> lot of work. The basic principle seems to work pretty good though.
> I dropped the Al's Army Apparatus-Concealed Guns Idea, threw some
> combat together, could be improved a lot.
>
> Crypt:
> 3x Anson
> 1x Tatiana Romanova
> 1x Victoria Ash
> 2x Rake
> 1x Kallista, Master Sculptor
> 2x Volker, The Puppet Prince
> 1x Brachah
> 1x Felicia Mostrom

A bit messy. Sure, Anson for the Masters (which, incidentally, you
don't need at 16 cards), but I'm not convinced that Brujah / Toreador
is the way to go. Try Ventrue / Brujah for the mid cap Group 1
princes. Hey, there's even a couple of mid cap Ventrue with Potence!

Gideon Fontaine would be great in this deck. As would Sweaty Nash,
Emmerson Bridges, Jan Pieterzoon, Tim Crowley... etc etc etc.

> Library:
>
> Masters: (16)
>
> 3x Oxford University, England
> 4x Minion Tap
> 1x Presence
> 1x Antediluvian Awakening
> 4x Anarch Revolt
> 1x Art Museum
> 2x Blood Doll

Ditch the Antideluvian Awakening. Ditch the Anarch Revolts. For a deck
that needs to control it's pool tightly, having these bad boys in to
eat your pool, in a manner out of your control, is surely bad.

If you do go Ventrue, Ventrue HQ is a must. If not, Toreador Grand
Ball x2 is a good idea. Suddens are actually important in this kind of
deck to neuter pool gain to your prey, so consider 2 - 4 of them
depending on play environment.

Other faves at the moment: Pentex Subversion, Legendary Vampire, and
Hunting Grounds.

If you go Ventrue, add a Hostile Takeover and a ToGP. Worth every
penny, as they are MADE for Parity Shifts.

> Combat: (22)
>
> 8x Aura Reading
> 5x Staredown
> 3x Flash
> 6x Preternatural Evasion

8x Aura Reading is way too much. 4x tops.
5x Staredown is cool.
I'd change 3x Flash to 6x Fake Out if you want the Ventrue angle, if
only to get out of a grapple.
6x Preternatual Evasions to become Majesties.

> Political Actions: (14)
>
> 7x Parity Shift
> 5x Kine Resources Contested
> 1x Brujah Justicar
> 1x Toreador Justicar

For this, I'd add 2x Disputed Territory and 2x Kindred Restructure.
I'd up the Parity Shifts to 8 and KRCs to 8 too. 14 votes is not
enough to clear 5 players.

> Action Modifiers: (11)
>
> 7x Voter Captivation
> 4x Bewitching Oration

Add 2x Bribes and 2x Cryptic Riders. Bribes to get your pool back
straight away!
The BOs are a bit overkill as static votes alone should win your Voter
Caps.

> Reactions: (13)
>
> 4x Second Tradition: Domain
> 5x Enhanced Senses
> 4x Forced Awakening

Skip to 6x 2nds 2x Wake and 5x Telepathic Midirection if staying
Toreador or 5x Deflection if going Ventrue.

DH

Darky

Apr 7, 2003, 11:43:53 AM4/7/03
halc...@aol.com (Halcyan 2) wrote in message news:<20030407044648...@mb-fc.aol.com>...

There are no specific rulings on the vtes site saying this. And the
only specific example i could find is this one:

http://groups.google.nl/groups?hl=nl&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=8qd792%24sa5%241%40nnrp1.deja.com

Which dates back to 2000.

And all examples I could find other then parity shift have since been
errata'ed or ruled to specifically state they need or don't need a
target.
I'm not 100% sure on this.. One could argue that the target has to be
specified only when the terms are to be called/target to be chosen,
and that the action is therefore legal, since there is a timeframe
between choosing the target and playing the action.

If not, my deck idea is crap :P

Thanks for the note,

-Bram Vink

Hasn't seen a delaying tactics played here in Holland.. Ever.

John Flournoy

Apr 7, 2003, 11:51:46 AM4/7/03
halc...@aol.com (Halcyan 2) wrote in message news:<20030407044648...@mb-fc.aol.com>...

Also note that if even one player has less pool than you, you can call
the Parity shift, then lower your pool with Oxford prior to setting
the terms, and pick any of the newly-valid targets (like your prey) to
lose pool, not just the one person who was valid when you announced
the action. But as Halcyan noted, it has been explicitly ruled that
you cannot take actions to call votes that do not have valid targets
when the action is announced (Parity shifts when you have the most
pool, Disputed Territory when no locations are in play, and so on.)

> Halcyan 2

-John Flournoy

LSJ

Apr 7, 2003, 1:31:23 PM4/7/03
Darky wrote:
> halc...@aol.com (Halcyan 2) wrote in message news:<20030407044648...@mb-fc.aol.com>...
>>>I might be mistaking, but if I'm right: you have to have a legal
>>>target for your Parity Shift *before* you call the referendum. In
>>>other words, if you're at 20 pool,and everybody else at the table is
>>>at less than 20, you can't call the Shift, even if you can lower your
>>>pool via the Oxford University.
>>That is correct.

Correct.

[...]

> And all examples I could find other then parity shift have since been
> errata'ed or ruled to specifically state they need or don't need a
> target.

Citations, please?

General ruling (from the online list of rulings):

Playing Cards
If a card targets (chooses, selects, is played on, etc.) another card,
then the card can only be played if an appropriate target is available.
[RTR 19980928]

> I'm not 100% sure on this.. One could argue that the target has to be
> specified only when the terms are to be called/target to be chosen,
> and that the action is therefore legal, since there is a timeframe
> between choosing the target and playing the action.

There must be a legal target when the card is played.

If the set of legal targets changes by the time the terms are set, then
any of the new legal targets are fair game. If there are no longer any
legal targets at that time, then the action fizzles.

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

Darky

Apr 7, 2003, 2:42:24 PM4/7/03
dave...@hotmail.com (hamdamcwa) wrote in message news:<9e10847c.0304...@posting.google.com>...

> jja....@hccnet.nl (Darky) wrote in message news:<93148a54.03040...@posting.google.com>...
> > General Idea: Use Oxford University before calling terms on parity
> > shift to lower your pool to the level you need it to be.
>
> It's Oxfordians. Not Oxonians.
>
> Oxonians are people that like a meat stock product that comes in
> cubes. Fact.

Ox·o·ni·an

noun.
A native or inhabitant of Oxford.
A person who studies or has studied at Oxford University.

http://www.dictionary.com

> > The deck isn't tuned yet, or adjusted to metagame, and still needs a
> > lot of work. The basic principle seems to work pretty good though.
> > I dropped the Al's Army Apparatus-Concealed Guns Idea, threw some
> > combat together, could be improved a lot.
> >
> > Crypt:
> > 3x Anson
> > 1x Tatiana Romanova
> > 1x Victoria Ash
> > 2x Rake
> > 1x Kallista, Master Sculptor
> > 2x Volker, The Puppet Prince
> > 1x Brachah
> > 1x Felicia Mostrom
>
> A bit messy. Sure, Anson for the Masters (which, incidentally, you
> don't need at 16 cards), but I'm not convinced that Brujah / Toreador
> is the way to go. Try Ventrue / Brujah for the mid cap Group 1
> princes. Hey, there's even a couple of mid cap Ventrue with Potence!
>
> Gideon Fontaine would be great in this deck. As would Sweaty Nash,
> Emmerson Bridges, Jan Pieterzoon, Tim Crowley... etc etc etc.

I prefer going for Cel Pre Aus, as Rake fits in nicely there, and
volker only has CEL. 16 masters in 76 cards is high, comparable to 19
masters in a 20 card deck.
This crypt is still made for the concealed guns thingy though, so I'm
going to swap Felicia and Kallista for Marianna Gilbert and Ramiel
Dupre.

> > Library:
> >
> > Masters: (16)
> >
> > 3x Oxford University, England
> > 4x Minion Tap
> > 1x Presence
> > 1x Antediluvian Awakening
> > 4x Anarch Revolt
> > 1x Art Museum
> > 2x Blood Doll
>
> Ditch the Antideluvian Awakening. Ditch the Anarch Revolts. For a deck
> that needs to control it's pool tightly, having these bad boys in to
> eat your pool, in a manner out of your control, is surely bad.

I put em in as a way to just universally lower the pool of the table,
making ousting possible with this few cards, also it's a nice way to
kill people on low pool when you're not willing to lower yours to
shift em. I'll swap the antediluvian with another anarch revolt
though. The presence master will become a Protected Resources.

> If you do go Ventrue, Ventrue HQ is a must. If not, Toreador Grand
> Ball x2 is a good idea. Suddens are actually important in this kind of
> deck to neuter pool gain to your prey, so consider 2 - 4 of them
> depending on play environment.

I'll add 2 balls. I don't really mind my prey gaining pool that much
with 7 shifts.

> Other faves at the moment: Pentex Subversion, Legendary Vampire, and
> Hunting Grounds.
>
> If you go Ventrue, add a Hostile Takeover and a ToGP. Worth every
> penny, as they are MADE for Parity Shifts.
>
> > Combat: (22)
> >
> > 8x Aura Reading
> > 5x Staredown
> > 3x Flash
> > 6x Preternatural Evasion
>
> 8x Aura Reading is way too much. 4x tops.
> 5x Staredown is cool.
> I'd change 3x Flash to 6x Fake Out if you want the Ventrue angle, if
> only to get out of a grapple.
> 6x Preternatual Evasions to become Majesties.

I should probably remove 2 Aura readings for Flashes, Aura Reading is
underrated. 1 Preternatural will become a Staredown.

> > Political Actions: (14)
> >
> > 7x Parity Shift
> > 5x Kine Resources Contested
> > 1x Brujah Justicar
> > 1x Toreador Justicar
>
> For this, I'd add 2x Disputed Territory and 2x Kindred Restructure.
> I'd up the Parity Shifts to 8 and KRCs to 8 too. 14 votes is not
> enough to clear 5 players.

Disputed Territory is overrated I think. I'm not playing Kindred
Restructure in a friendly game, 12 Damaging votes with 5 revolts
should do the trick, no?
I'll add 2x Rumors of Gehenna and 1x Reinforcements.

> > Action Modifiers: (11)
> >
> > 7x Voter Captivation
> > 4x Bewitching Oration
>
> Add 2x Bribes and 2x Cryptic Riders. Bribes to get your pool back
> straight away!
> The BOs are a bit overkill as static votes alone should win your Voter
> Caps.

I'll cut the BO's, Bribes+Parity shift makes the Parity Shift
legal-target question interesting.

> > Reactions: (13)
> >
> > 4x Second Tradition: Domain
> > 5x Enhanced Senses
> > 4x Forced Awakening
>
> Skip to 6x 2nds 2x Wake and 5x Telepathic Midirection if staying
> Toreador or 5x Deflection if going Ventrue.
>
> DH

With only 1 vamp with superior auspex I don't think it's worth putting
in Misdirections. Maybe ill go for 4x 2nd, 5 various 1 intercept
auspex cards, 4x forced. I don't own any more 2nds.

Thanks for the feedback,

-Bram Vink

Darky

Apr 7, 2003, 5:44:13 PM4/7/03
LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote in message news:<3E91B5EB...@white-wolf.com>...

> Darky wrote:
> >>That is correct.
>
> Correct.
>
> [...]
>
> > And all examples I could find other then parity shift have since been
> > errata'ed or ruled to specifically state they need or don't need a
> > target.
>
> Citations, please?
"Peace Treaty can be called even if there are no weapons in play." -
RTR 2001 (Specifically states it doesn't need a target)

"Kindred Segregation can be called even if there are no allies in
play." - RTR 2001 (Specifically states it doesn't need a target)

(NEW) Card text on P:Solomon "Only usable if at least one card is
contested." (Specifically states it needs a target)

(NEW) Card text on Disguised Weapon: Only usable before range is
chosen if you have a weapon card in your hand. (Specifically states it
needs a target.)

Illusions of Kindred cannot be played when your crypt is empty. - RTR
2000(Specifically states it needs a target.)

Charming Lobby "This vampire calls a referendum listed on a political
action card in your hand" (Specifically states it needs a target)

> General ruling (from the online list of rulings):
>
> Playing Cards
> If a card targets (chooses, selects, is played on, etc.) another card,
> then the card can only be played if an appropriate target is available.
> [RTR 19980928]

This general ruling doesn't apply to parity shift because methuselahs
aren't usually referred to as 'cards'. All the other examples do
target another card though. The only other example that would be alike
and that I could think of would be someone ousting himself with
buisness pressure on a lextalionis vote.

> > I'm not 100% sure on this.. One could argue that the target has to be
> > specified only when the terms are to be called/target to be chosen,
> > and that the action is therefore legal, since there is a timeframe
> > between choosing the target and playing the action.
>
> There must be a legal target when the card is played.

As I see it, the card doesn't target anything when it's played though.
The targetting occurs when you call the terms of the referendum,
right? You don't have to target anyone before that... What I mean to
say is that no targetting occurs before the terms are stated and
therefore the I think term 'legal target' would be irrelevant.
And since neither Lexatalionis nor Parity shift states it needs a
legal target when it's played, and there are no relevant rulings on
this, is this a new ruling or am I just retarded? :P

[snip]
-Bram Vink

Snapcase

Apr 7, 2003, 11:28:07 PM4/7/03
In article <93148a54.03040...@posting.google.com>,
jja....@hccnet.nl says...

> > Citations, please?
> "Peace Treaty can be called even if there are no weapons in play." -
> RTR 2001 (Specifically states it doesn't need a target)
>
> "Kindred Segregation can be called even if there are no allies in
> play." - RTR 2001 (Specifically states it doesn't need a target)

Last I checked, both of these cards say "all X are burnt". It's a
blanket effect and thus has no specific target.

--
-Snapcase

Kulaid

Apr 8, 2003, 3:32:02 AM4/8/03
halc...@aol.com (Halcyan 2) wrote in message news:<20030407044648...@mb-fc.aol.com>...

He can always vote the anarchs to stay in play.... =D
And you can always give your prey pool so he's higher then you...
(Just by 1, that is)

LSJ

Apr 8, 2003, 7:49:20 AM4/8/03

Correct.

Peace Treaty doesn't "burn a weapon" (which isn't possible if there
are no weapons), it "burns all weapons" (which is possible even if
there are no weapons).

Likewise Kindred Segregation.

Darky

Apr 8, 2003, 11:10:50 AM4/8/03
Snapcase <shotgu...@optonline.net> wrote in message news:<MPG.18fc0c15a...@news.optonline.net>...

Yep, but if you had read the link i gave you, in the same post LSJ
says parity shift needs a target, he also says these ones do, which
was in 2000. It is irrelevant though, just gave these since LSJ wanted
citations.

-Bram Vink

Darky

Apr 8, 2003, 1:05:15 PM4/8/03
<snip>

What i'm meaning to say: I can't find a logical explanation in the
current rules to support parity shift needing a legal target at the
moment of being played. Can you give me one? If not, are you making a
ruling on parity shift needing a legal target or are you just gonna
let it slide and allow parity shift and to be played without a legal
target?

Wrote that last post when I was too tired :P

*Psst* the last option is best! ;)

-Bram Vink

LSJ

Apr 8, 2003, 1:16:36 PM4/8/03
Darky wrote:
> What i'm meaning to say: I can't find a logical explanation in the
> current rules to support parity shift needing a legal target at the
> moment of being played. Can you give me one?

Card text: "Choose a Methuselah who has more pool than you do"

Ruling: A card that targets (chooses, selects, etc.) some target can
only be played if there is a legal target available.

Result: If there is no Methuselah who has more pool than you do,
you cannot play Parity Shift.

Darky

Apr 8, 2003, 6:20:46 PM4/8/03

As you said before, this ruling actually is this:

If a card targets (chooses, selects, is played on, etc.) another card,
then the card can only be played if an appropriate target is
available. [RTR 19980928]

Is it changed to be the one you said above?

Thanks in advance,

-Bram Vink

LSJ

Apr 8, 2003, 9:28:53 PM4/8/03
Darky wrote:
> LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote in message news:<3E9303F4...@white-wolf.com>...
>>Ruling: A card that targets (chooses, selects, etc.) some target can
>>only be played if there is a legal target available.
>
> As you said before, this ruling actually is this:
>
> If a card targets (chooses, selects, is played on, etc.) another card,
> then the card can only be played if an appropriate target is
> available. [RTR 19980928]
>
> Is it changed to be the one you said above?

The ruling you quoted doesn't preclude or contradict the ruling I gave.

I'll amend the online rulings list for further clarity.

Darky

Apr 9, 2003, 10:58:47 AM4/9/03
LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote in message news:<3E937755...@white-wolf.com>...

> Darky wrote:
> > LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote in message news:<3E9303F4...@white-wolf.com>...
> >>Ruling: A card that targets (chooses, selects, etc.) some target can
> >>only be played if there is a legal target available.
> >
> > As you said before, this ruling actually is this:
> >
> > If a card targets (chooses, selects, is played on, etc.) another card,
> > then the card can only be played if an appropriate target is
> > available. [RTR 19980928]
> >
> > Is it changed to be the one you said above?
>
> The ruling you quoted doesn't preclude or contradict the ruling I gave.
>
> I'll amend the online rulings list for further clarity.

thanks for the trouble, appreciate it

-Bram Vink

Snapcase

Apr 9, 2003, 1:13:22 PM4/9/03
LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote in message news:<3E91B5EB...@white-wolf.com>...

> There must be a legal target when the card is played.
>
> If the set of legal targets changes by the time the terms are set, then
> any of the new legal targets are fair game. If there are no longer any
> legal targets at that time, then the action fizzles.

So if someone calls Code of Milan Suspended (lord knows why, but just
humor me), and the player who currently has the edge burns it for 1
vote before the terms are set, the action fizzles?

-Snapcase

LSJ

Apr 9, 2003, 1:28:09 PM4/9/03

Right.

Joshua Duffin

Apr 9, 2003, 1:53:14 PM4/9/03

> Snapcase wrote:

> > So if someone calls Code of Milan Suspended (lord knows why, but just
> > humor me), and the player who currently has the edge burns it for 1
> > vote before the terms are set, the action fizzles?
>
> Right.

So, the utility of the Sabbat War text migration has been lost
with current rulebook/rulings? This is tragic! :-)

Josh

so much for milan...

LSJ

Apr 9, 2003, 2:13:03 PM4/9/03
Joshua Duffin wrote:
> So, the utility of the Sabbat War text migration has been lost
> with current rulebook/rulings? This is tragic! :-)
>
> so much for milan...

It's still a +1 stealth burn the edge undirected action, though.
If it's a matter of the Methuselah burning a pool and then gaining
a pool during her untap or burning the edge now and not gaining
the pool, well...

Before SW, though, the Methuselah had the "luxury" of waiting to
see if the referendum would pass before sloughing off the edge
to avoid the burn. So the utility of the SW migration is not
totally lost. :-)

Joshua Duffin

Apr 9, 2003, 2:39:01 PM4/9/03

> Joshua Duffin wrote:
> > So, the utility of the Sabbat War text migration has been lost
> > with current rulebook/rulings? This is tragic! :-)
> >
> > so much for milan...
>
> It's still a +1 stealth burn the edge undirected action, though.
> If it's a matter of the Methuselah burning a pool and then gaining
> a pool during her untap or burning the edge now and not gaining
> the pool, well...

I never thought I would write these words, but Regaining the Upper
Hand is probably better in almost all cases. :-)

Of course, it was probably generally better even when it wasn't
possible to burn the Edge before being named by Code of Milan
Suspended. Since as you say, the Edge-holder might have still
gained a pool for keeping the Edge after losing one to Milan.

Josh

not that it's likely, but just in case - I am absolutely not
requesting errata, or even cardtext change, to make Code of Milan
Suspended more playable. Some wallpaper just can't be saved. ;-)

Stone

Apr 9, 2003, 6:21:54 PM4/9/03

"LSJ" <vte...@white-wolf.com> a écrit dans le message news:
3E9462A...@white-wolf.com...

> Joshua Duffin wrote:
> Before SW, though, the Methuselah had the "luxury" of waiting to
> see if the referendum would pass before sloughing off the edge
> to avoid the burn. So the utility of the SW migration is not
> totally lost. :-)

how so? RTR 1998/06/23 :
Code of Milan Suspended:
The "Methuselah with the Edge" is identified at the start of the
referendum.
Burning the Edge during the referendum will not change the effects of the
vote, if successful.

at any rate, is that RTR ruling out of date?
Stone

LSJ

Apr 9, 2003, 7:43:29 PM4/9/03

The Methuselah burns the edge before the terms are set.

> at any rate, is that RTR ruling out of date?

No.
It still applies.
You choose a Methsuelah who has the edge.
IF the referendum passes, the chosen Methuselah (who may or may not still
have the edge) burns 1 poool.

Halcyan 2

Apr 10, 2003, 12:46:51 AM4/10/03
>No.
>It still applies.
>You choose a Methsuelah who has the edge.
>IF the referendum passes, the chosen Methuselah (who may or may not still
>have the edge) burns 1 poool.

Also, please note that Code of Milan still isn't completely useless.

There very well might be some reasons why a player might keep the Edge. If they
plan to use the Edge for something during their turn (Victoria's special,
Sarrasine's special, or to give blood during your untap phase to Heather,
Lucina, or Lucinde). Also, it may be important in case the distribution of
votes is close and they really want to keep the Edge vote if they need it.

Thus a player won't necessarily discard the Edge just to avoid the Milan pool
loss.

Halcyan 2

Kulaid

Apr 10, 2003, 4:17:56 AM4/10/03
> Stone wrote:
>> "LSJ" <vte...@white-wolf.com> a écrit dans le message news:
>> 3E9462A...@white-wolf.com...
>>
>>>Joshua Duffin wrote:
>>>Before SW, though, the Methuselah had the "luxury" of waiting to
>>>see if the referendum would pass before sloughing off the edge
>>>to avoid the burn. So the utility of the SW migration is not
>>>totally lost. :-)
>>
>> how so? RTR 1998/06/23 :
>> Code of Milan Suspended:
>> The "Methuselah with the Edge" is identified at the start of the
>> referendum.
>> Burning the Edge during the referendum will not change
>> the effects of the
>> vote, if successful.
>
> The Methuselah burns the edge before the terms are set.

What terms? Can more then 1 methuselah have the edge? Same with
Lextalionis... There aren't terms to set since there's only 1 choice...
That's what I thought...

>> at any rate, is that RTR ruling out of date?
>
> No.
> It still applies.
> You choose a Methsuelah who has the edge.
> IF the referendum passes, the chosen Methuselah (who may
> or may not still
> have the edge) burns 1 poool.

http://web2news.com/?rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad

Chris.QJ

Apr 10, 2003, 4:55:12 AM4/10/03
LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com> schrieb:

>Snapcase wrote:
>> LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote in message news:<3E91B5EB...@white-wolf.com>...
>>

>>>There must be a legal target when the card is played.
>>>
>>>If the set of legal targets changes by the time the terms are set, then
>>>any of the new legal targets are fair game. If there are no longer any
>>>legal targets at that time, then the action fizzles.
>>

>> So if someone calls Code of Milan Suspended (lord knows why, but just
>> humor me), and the player who currently has the edge burns it for 1
>> vote before the terms are set, the action fizzles?
>
>Right.

hi,

excuse me here, but by my understanding of the rules, the edge can be
burned onyl during the referendum to gain a vote, which is after the
terms are set, and not during the action itself, or before the
announcement of the terms, which would render the above moot.

please give me/us the exact beginning of the timeframe during which a
meth can burn the edge/burn a political card from his hand to gain
(not cast) a vote.

if it is possible to burn a political card from your hand to gain a
vote before the referendum even starts, then it can be replaced as
normal, as opposed to during the referendum when it cant't be
replaced, which could very well make a difference (topdecking a
Delaying Tactics for example)

regards
Chris.QJ
VEKN Prince of Vienna

LSJ

Apr 10, 2003, 6:50:47 AM4/10/03
Kulaid wrote:
> What terms? Can more then 1 methuselah have the edge? Same with

Card text: Choose the Methuselah with the edge.

Doing so is setting the terms.

> Lextalionis... There aren't terms to set since there's only 1 choice...

Same. Except that it could be the case that more than one Meth has gained
a VP since your last turn.

LSJ

Apr 10, 2003, 6:51:50 AM4/10/03
Chris.QJ wrote:
> please give me/us the exact beginning of the timeframe during which a
> meth can burn the edge/burn a political card from his hand to gain
> (not cast) a vote.

During a referendum.

> if it is possible to burn a political card from your hand to gain a
> vote before the referendum even starts, then it can be replaced as
> normal, as opposed to during the referendum when it cant't be
> replaced, which could very well make a difference (topdecking a
> Delaying Tactics for example)

Not before it starts.

Joshua Duffin

Apr 10, 2003, 10:45:23 AM4/10/03

"Stone" <mc_judg...@yahoo.fr> wrote in message

> "LSJ" <vte...@white-wolf.com> a écrit dans le message news:
> 3E9462A...@white-wolf.com...

> > Before SW, though, the Methuselah had the "luxury" of waiting to

> > see if the referendum would pass before sloughing off the edge
> > to avoid the burn. So the utility of the SW migration is not
> > totally lost. :-)
>
> how so? RTR 1998/06/23 :
> Code of Milan Suspended:
> The "Methuselah with the Edge" is identified at the start of the
> referendum.
> Burning the Edge during the referendum will not change the effects of the
> vote, if successful.

This errata was enshrined in card text when Sabbat War was
printed.

The original text of Code of Milan Suspended, in the Sabbat
printing, (warning! this text no longer applies! ;-) was:

"Called by any Sabbat vampire at +1 stealth
If this vote is successful, the Methuselah with the
Edge burns 1 pool."

Under that text, *before* the Jun 23 1998 errata, if there
is no Methuselah with the Edge when the referendum passes,
no one burns a pool. After that ruling, LSJ's comment no
longer applied. I think he was just following my "SW text
migration" comment without bothering to consider that even
before it was a text migration, it was in the errata list.

> at any rate, is that RTR ruling out of date?

In a sense. It's been supplanted by current Code of Milan
Suspended printed cardtext, so it doesn't go in the E/R/C
list, much like Tomb of Rameses III's new text. But its
effects still exist.

Josh

all this for a nigh-pointless card... hehehe