(Q) Sniper Rifle vs Ossian

floppyzedolfin

Aug 27, 2010, 1:59:14 AM8/27/10
Hello,
Suppose Ossian attempts his built-in rush action against a vampire of
mine, and I block it using Enhanced Senses. My blocking minion has a
Sniper Rifle.

In the combat resulting of the block, can my minion use the Sniper
Rifle before range is determined to set the range to long?
I'm pretty sure he can't, similarly to
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/ffbebe5c7ea01d72
.

Also: nitpicking Sniper Rifle's cardtext:
It has been reminded here ( http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/7629389e06f3bd22
) that each round starts at close range.
I suggest updating Sniper Rifle's cardtext so that it can't be used
_to strike_ at close range. Otherwise, the equipment can't be used to
set the range, unless someone in the combat plays Fear of the Void
Below, since range is at close in the "before range is set" step, and
the weapon can't be used at close range.

Thanks

~~

Sniper Rifle
Cardtype: Equipment
Cost: 2 pool
Weapon, gun.
2R damage each strike. Only usable at long range. If the bearer blocks
an action, he or she may, before range is determined, set the range
for the first round of the resulting combat to long; if he or she does
so, skip the determine range step that round, and the bearer's initial
strike that round must be with this weapon.

Ossian
Cardtype: Ally
Cost: 3 pool
Unique werewolf with 4 life. 2 strength, 0 bleed. Red List.
Ossian may enter combat with any vampire as a +1 stealth (D) action.
In the first round of combat with a vampire who has played a card that
requires Auspex [aus] during this action, that vampire cannot use any
maneuvers or strikes. Ossian gains 1 life at the end of each round for
each blood the opposing vampire used to heal damage or prevent
destruction that round.

Enhanced Senses
Cardtype: Reaction
Discipline: Auspex
[aus] +1 intercept.
[AUS] +2 intercept.

Asnek

Aug 27, 2010, 5:14:18 AM8/27/10
On 27. Aug, 07:59 h., floppyzedolfin <floppyzedol...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> Suppose Ossian attempts his built-in rush action against a vampire of
> mine, and I block it using Enhanced Senses. My blocking minion has a
> Sniper Rifle.
>
> In the combat resulting of the block, can my minion use the Sniper
> Rifle before range is determined to set the range to long?
> I'm pretty sure he can't, similarly tohttp://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/ffbe...

> .
>
> Also: nitpicking Sniper Rifle's cardtext:
> It has been reminded here (http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/7629...

You got answer right in card texts...

If the bearer blocks an action, he or she may, before range is
determined, set the range for the first round of the resulting combat
to long; if he or she does so, skip the determine range step that
round, and the bearer's initial strike that round must be with this
weapon.

and as per Ossians card text

In the first round of combat with a vampire who has played a card that
requires Auspex [aus] during this action, that vampire cannot use any
maneuvers or strikes.

as you are not allowed to strike you can't set range as sniper rifle
requires you to strike with weapon after range set.

floppyzedolfin

Aug 27, 2010, 5:53:47 AM8/27/10

It also reads "Only usable at long range.", and range is close in the
"before range is determined" window.
I suppose changing "2R damage each strike. Only usable at long range."
into "Strike: 2R damage, only usable at long range." would be enough.

Izaak

Aug 27, 2010, 7:55:45 AM8/27/10

> You got answer right in card texts...
>
> If the bearer blocks an action, he or she may, before range is
> determined, set the range for the first round of the resulting combat
> to long; if he or she does so, skip the determine range step that
> round, and the bearer's initial strike that round must be with this
> weapon.
>
> and as per Ossians card text
> In the first round of combat with a vampire who has played a card that
> requires Auspex [aus] during this action, that vampire cannot use any
> maneuvers or strikes.
>
> as you are not allowed to strike you can't set range as sniper rifle
> requires you to strike with weapon after range set.

I suppose it works similar to Lapse.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/browse_thread/thread/f8b1f9f198735421/ffbebe5c7ea01d72

Related question.

Ossian rushses my Anson
I try to block with Anneke (with Assault Rifle) blocks using an Enhanced
Senses.
Anneke can't maneuver or strike, Ossian hits for 2.

Now, if Anneke wants to play a Psyche! at superior what happens?

a) Since it's again the first round of combat and Ossian doesn't mention
"resulting combat" or something Anneke gets no strikes and maneuvers again
b) Ossian's cardtext is no longer active since it's a new combat and Anneke
can blow him up with the Assault Rifle

floppyzedolfin

Aug 27, 2010, 8:29:53 AM8/27/10
On Aug 27, 1:55 pm, "Izaak" <nom...@usenet.plz> wrote:
> > You got answer right in card texts...
>
> > If the bearer blocks an action, he or she may, before range is
> > determined, set the range for the first round of the resulting combat
> > to long; if he or she does so, skip the determine range step that
> > round, and the bearer's initial strike that round must be with this
> > weapon.
>
> > and as per Ossians card text
> > In the first round of combat with a vampire who has played a card that
> > requires Auspex [aus] during this action, that vampire cannot use any
> > maneuvers or strikes.
>
> > as you are not allowed to strike you can't set range as sniper rifle
> > requires you to strike with weapon after range set.
>
> I suppose it works similar to Lapse.
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/browse_t...

> Related question.
>
> Ossian rushses my Anson
> I try to block with Anneke (with Assault Rifle) blocks using an Enhanced
> Senses.
> Anneke can't maneuver or strike, Ossian hits for 2.
>
> Now, if Anneke wants to play a Psyche! at superior what happens?
>
> a) Since it's again the first round of combat and Ossian doesn't mention
> "resulting combat" or something Anneke gets no strikes and maneuvers again
> b) Ossian's cardtext is no longer active since it's a new combat and Anneke
> can blow him up with the Assault Rifle

a).
It's a new combat.

I recommend playing Psyche! at inferior :)

LSJ

Aug 27, 2010, 8:39:13 AM8/27/10

Correct